Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Smoking after tipping forward – Bobcat 863G

AKRiverrunner ยท 2020-09-10 18:58

Borrowed my 863 out and my friend tipped it forward on a hill with a full bucket. I checked the oil and it was only down maybe a half quart. When I went to load it on the trailer it was smoking blue pretty good but cleared up for the most part after it ran for a while and warmed up. A few other posts noted that this was normal and mostly just oil burning from the exhaust manifold. Today I started it up and it's smoking again. I replaced the air filter that was due anyways and had a fair amount of oil residue and it helped a little but still way more than before. It seems to run fine aside from the smoke and now I'm thinking it may be turbo seals or possibly injectors or combination of both. Machine hours are at 4100 and I've only had it for the last 300 hours. Any ideas where I should start troubleshooting or maybe just replace both due to hours anyways.

Replies6
  1. #1heymccall2020-09-10 21:34

    Sounds more like just some oil found its way into the intake. Since no other anomalies are noted, it'll just need a good hard run to get up to temp and burn off the coating of oil. My sister flipped our diesel VW upside down. It had actually sucked enough oil through the crankcase breather to intake that it was actually hydrolocked. Pulled either glow plugs or injectors (been 35 years now) and cranked it over, blowing oul onto a 2nd story window. Reassembled and it smoked for at least a half an hour afterwards, and at startup each time after, for at least two weeks. Never any issues after that.

  2. #2Delmer2020-09-10 22:46

    Run it and see if it keeps using oil. I have nothing against new injectors, or checking them, but why cloud the water by trying something before you really know whats going on?

  3. #3AKRiverrunner2020-09-10 22:57

    I hope that is all. I pulled the intake boots off the turbo and just a little oil residue and turbo was still tight. I hear the head gaskets are prone to failure but I think that would be much more smoke and running rough.

  4. #4heymccall2020-09-11 00:40

    We ran our 863G and 864H for 10 hour shifts (had two of each) as hard as they would run and, naturally, shut them off without any cool down period, for years. The heat would saturate so deeply that fuel hoses wouldn't last through two oil changes. Where you heard that head gaskets were an issue is unknown to me. The only genuine issue is to regularly replace the cog style timing belt, although failure to do so will simply result in a few rocker arm assemblies being lifted off and a handful of bent pushrods.

  5. #5AKRiverrunner2020-09-15 14:40

    Bad news....... The smoke seemed to clear out and I was going to update that everything was fine and then last night it threw a rod on the #3 cylinder. Anyone know where to get a long block Deutz 1011 in the Northwest?

  6. #6Reuben Frazier2020-09-15 15:42

    That stinks, I hope you come out the best you can under the circumstances. I hate to see a brother in this type of situation.