Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

smoking yanmar 4tnv98 55 hp non turbo

Liberty ยท 2018-07-12 08:46

I purchased a used excavator with 2700 hrs. I had a dealer ck it out prior to purchasing who said it was in great shape. After 50 hrs of use it started smoking lightly. It Is blue and smells like fuel. It starts easily. And runs great. It appears to create more smoke when cold. It gets real light when hot. The exhaust outlet is very sooty. I ckecked the air filter, crankcase breather, oil rotella 5w40, shorted injectors, used optilube ag additive with 50 gals of fresh fuel. I also ckecked exhaust outlet temp on a cold start to enure i did not have a dead cylinder? I was going to bench test the injectors next and possibly change the valve seals. It is strange that it started out no where and it runs and starts great. What do you think?

Replies3
  1. #1heymccall2018-07-12 08:51

    You sure of 5w40? I use 15w40 in all my Yanmars. What mini did you buy? I've had air cleaner issues on many of my Yanmars. Is the inlet tube from cleaner housing to intake dust free? You said "air filter". Mine all have safety elements, meaning "air filters".

  2. #2Liberty2018-07-12 10:13

    It started when i had 15/40 in it. I changed the oil even thoughit did not need it. Both inner snd outer filters are new with no dust in the tube. It is a Doosan sl75 v. I even tried running it without the air filters with no change.

  3. #3Liberty2018-07-16 19:33

    This is crazy. I left the excavator for three weeks on vacation. I came home and started it. No smoke on start up or while running. How and why did it go away?