Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sneak Preview.

Eddiebackblade · 2009-09-16 15:05

Just got a couple of snaps from the conversion company working on my new machine. Thought I'd let you have a look and see if anyone can guess what I'm up to.:beatsme All should be revealed late next week.

Replies118
  1. #1amunderdog2009-09-16 18:36

    Winching logs?

  2. #2special tool2009-09-16 19:04

    Harvesting krumpets?

  3. #3cps2009-09-16 19:20

    Some kind of slope work???

  4. #4Canadian_digger2009-09-16 19:27

    What’s out of the ordinary in the first picture?

  5. #5willie592009-09-16 19:39

    His blade has an oil leak. Hmm, building a mini-ex dragline?

  6. #6tonka2009-09-16 19:53

    the color is off.....lol

  7. #7youngoperator2009-09-16 20:53

    Should be more yellow lol I like the winch

  8. #8landrvrnut222009-09-16 21:20

    Dozer blade looks extra wide to me.

  9. #9stock2009-09-17 01:39

    It's not a Yanmar...

  10. #10AndyGrevis2009-09-17 02:52

    sheesh, i thought those spankin brand new machines are leaking oil a little less than that

  11. #11roddyo2009-09-17 08:22

    Since we are guessing here I'm going to say. Your replacing to rubber tracks with steel. With the winch it looks like maybe slope work so possibly single bar grousers on the tracks? Then again, it could be extra wide on the tracks for bog work. A set of 24 inch tracks on a mini would look pretty mean.:notworthy Another option is I really have no clue.:beatsme

  12. #12Eddiebackblade2009-09-17 14:08

    I thought someone would have a guess a what the base machine is?:beatsme As for the first pic the fact that the blade has been extended by 18" each side and is now 9ft 6" wide without being too obvious speaks volumes for their work. That is a Superwinch H30p hydraulic winch custom mounted and I'm pleased with progress so far.(I've only seen these two pics also) For the real eagle eyed you will see a bottom roller mounted on the front of the top of the frame as part of the work. Yes there do seem to be plenty of puddles underneath and I'm not too happy to see them , it has been completely flushed and filled with Bio Hydraulic and Engine oil at considerable expense.

  13. #13lamarbur2009-09-17 20:39

    looks to me like a takuechi machine,, your retrofit? maybe logging or?

  14. #14lamarbur2009-09-18 05:35

    I forgot to mention that it could be a terex machine,

  15. #15dirt digger2009-09-18 07:56

    with bio oil it will be doing some type of swamp or protected area work...might be used for some type of river rehab or something along those lines

  16. #16Partsdude2009-09-18 14:03

    Bio - oil plus hydraulic winch = mini ex fishing pole. What'cha going after? Shark?

  17. #17cps2009-09-18 14:28

    I Think i have got it Eddie, Your building an LGP for a specialist contract you have picked up! Is it an 8 ton Kubota?

  18. #18heavylift2009-09-18 15:02

    ski slope machine.... what do i win

  19. #19Eddiebackblade2009-09-18 15:32

    Got to be the best yet Partsdude! CPS is onto it though, it is in fact a new Kubota Kx 080 alpha (latest turbo engine version) The spec list is quite long, and I'll explain it all when it's finished next week. However the main points are: Bio Oil in hydraulics and engine, Full LGP conversion including 2 bottom rollers on the top frame and 6" extra height for clearance. 900mm. (36") triple grouser pads. Blade widened to suit (now 9ft 6") 13,000kg. Superwinch Hydraulic winch Full Engcon Tiltrotator set up including quick hitch top and bottom and integral grab, all controlled via a full proportioal set up. Engcon grading bucket (considered essential for shaping works). Cab guards with the latest 'Tanmill' quick release mesh screen guard. 6 custom made buckets fitted with genuine CAT tips and adaptors. This is basically a full spec machine for environmetal type work, and no I have no contract as yet but this will hopefully open a few doors. I got a good offer on my Zaxis 160 and decided to go the new route with a brand new machine. I just hope it works out, but initial interest is good. Hope to have the pics of the finished article shortly.

  20. #20tootalltimmy2009-09-18 17:22

    Am I the only one who does not know what a LGP conversion is?

  21. #21roddyo2009-09-18 17:31

    Here you go Timmy. This should get you up to speed.

  22. #22watglen2009-09-19 11:28

    my guess is steep slope work

  23. #23Eddiebackblade2009-09-20 14:52

    Nearly finished Following on from the 'Sneak preview'. Just recieved this mobile phone pic of the tracks now fitted to the Kubota Kx 080 and I shall be going to Scotland on Wednesday to have the Engcon set up to my preference. Hope to have it all complete this week.

  24. #24Steve Frazier2009-09-20 15:54

    Eddie, please keep all posts regarding this project within this thread. Thanks

  25. #25Eddiebackblade2009-09-27 05:56

    Kubota Kx 080 lgp unveiled. I have just returned from the converters today and the finished product is better than my expectations. :thumbsup Can't wait to put it to work.

  26. #26stock2009-09-27 08:02

    Sweet petunia but she a beaut Well wear!

  27. #27Eddiebackblade2009-09-27 09:09

    I'll take that as you like her then Stock!!

  28. #28xterrahawk2009-09-29 00:48

    not a bad way to spend a couple thousand dollars lol but over rall seems like a very ncie machine but with those xtra large tracks on that machine did you exchange the drive motors and the other parts to some more heavy duty ones?

  29. #29hvy 1ton2009-09-29 13:00

    Should have called the thread how to make a excavator zero tail swing. The finished product looks factory. The winch and wide tracks sure do make it look mean.

  30. #30EZ TRBO2009-09-29 18:01

    Amazing machine, hope you find a niche in which to keep you busy. Money well spent and it should pay you back. Trbo

  31. #31Eddiebackblade2009-09-30 16:55

    It's now back at the supplying dealers for the Vandal Guard fitting and a photo shoot. I can't wait to put it beside a standard one as it will make it look like a 5 tonner! Xterrahawk, the chains and final drives are standard as the Kubota is blessed with some fairly powerful motors as standard. However 2 bottom rollers are added to the frame each side at the top to support the track and help keep it on! The frame is also some 5 inches taller to help with debris removal and aid ground clearance, this coupled with the extra top rollers give the appearance of a much larger machine. Just waiting to get to grips with it all.

  32. #32special tool2009-09-30 19:11

    Well, that's one of the coolest machines I have seen.

  33. #33youngoperator2009-09-30 19:52

    i want one!

  34. #34xterrahawk2009-10-01 00:51

    i like the setup on the bucket ..a closer look into it and i noticed like a grapple type of thing on the outside part thats pretty slick overrall i like the set up of the machine and i think youll be really happy with it.

  35. #35hvy 1ton2009-10-01 11:20

    I noticed that yesterday too, but didn't have time to post a question about it.

  36. #36Eddiebackblade2009-10-02 16:47

    You were keen eyed to spot the 'Integral Grabber' as it is called. Basically it is a 2 and 1 grab that folds up to be virtually invisible until required. Even on the Engcon EC10 fitted, the grab has a useful opening of just over 24". I'd assumed wrongly that to operate it you would siimply press a changeover button and use either the tilt or rotate switch to open and.close it. However as the full proportional set up is fitted, you actually press buttons on the side of each joystick with your first fingers to open and close. This enables you to actually Tilt,Rotate and Open/Close simultaneously. This not being quite enough level of control for certain applications, it has a button that will cut off the proprtional Tilt roller switch and enable you to operate the grab via the roller. When in this mode, the level of control you have in gripping objects is outstanding and should enable some great applications. There are some great pictures and videos on the Engcon website of the Grabber in action. Here is a pic of the new joysticks he installed and the grab.

  37. #37d4c24a2009-10-03 13:15

    speed great pictures of a nice set up eddie ,any chance of some video of it in action :cool2 i would say this man has the multi tasking bit of to a tee YouTube - jh spårservice Slipersbyte Kvicksund med huddig

  38. #38Eddiebackblade2009-10-03 15:31

    Thanks D4c, I'll finally get it delivered this week and be able to get the thing in a field on my own and start learning! I have a demonstration lined up on a boggy site for several prospective users and need to learn fast. The finished article is certainly getting some reaction at the dealers and prospective users are now taking it more seriously. The main stumbling block for me will be attachments, I have solid enquiries for both flail mower and selector grab applications but could do without the expense at the moment. If the work takes me this way I'll have to go with it. Anyone run a good flail mower for something in this weight class? I have been told OSMA but can't find much info on them. As for the Huddig link, them things are awesome but yet to see one anywhere apart from the SED show. A company called QTS has them in Scotland along with just about every toy you would want parked in your yard, worth a look at their website.

  39. #39MKTEF2009-10-03 16:39

    Realy nice construction you have done there. Hope you succeds in bringing it to work every day! If you plan on going up hills/out in the wet, maybee a "bucket" to hang on the blade could be a good idea? To get the different attachments with you when mowing around. You got a multitool attachment on the stick, and bringing different tools with you would be handy.

  40. #40Per Eriksson2009-10-04 05:01

    What tools and buckets do you have for it now apart from the grading bucket thats in the pic's?

  41. #41AtlasRob2009-10-09 18:16

    WOW! :notworthy I had heard about this machine from the man who did it, I told him it better be good as the pictures were sure to end up here. Congratulations Eddie. Must say that you seem to have taken the bull by the horns and had the full works. I do like that winch :yup a very neat idea. I will pass on the tilty thing ( luck b ) I expect to see a full 4 page spread in Earthmovers within the next couple of months ( thats to give you a bit of learning time )

  42. #42Eddiebackblade2009-10-10 07:03

    Thank's Rob, I'm really happy with the end result and it's helping to open a few doors that I'd always thought were reserved for the chosen few. The guy who did the conversion is a man of few words but when it comes to Engcon's or Conversions he'd be hard to beat! I must mention Oliver their salesman who has been nothing short of fantastic throughout, literally been with me all the way and I won't forget that in the future. You would be amazed at the reactions I've had from other manufacturers/dealers/salesmen when you tell them what you want, even in these tough times they never call you back or take you serious. I will definately get it this week, as I've been waiting for a standard 8 tonner to arrive in the dealers yard for a comparison photo shoot. The main problem I have is that I have already got work for it on a very sensitive site but I need a Selector grab, in addition I have also got an extremely important demo that specifically needs a Flail Mower. The grab will definately be purchased from Engcon, as cheaper alternatives are just too heavy to consider. (Some are 200kg heavier!) The mower I'm looking at is an Osma, it looks the part on paper but I can find little info on them. The opportunity is too good to miss though, so the mower will be a straightforward gamble! How's things with you Rob? as I've not seen you on here lately.

  43. #43Midwestern4x42009-10-10 08:11

    Nice Machine. Very Cool. Hows the work coming for it?

  44. #44AtlasRob2009-10-10 12:56

    LMFAO, I think you just graduated to the " chosen few " with that piece of kit :notworthy It was Oliver I was talking to, he rang for a chat and to give me the full speel on what you had spec'ed. Sort of blew my mind to say the least. Needless to say I was straight on here when I got home to take a peek. He said you had given him the heads up about HEF and he had had a look and was impressed. I warned him that its addictive He made me the offer of building my new Geith Q hitch into the base of a tilty but I would rather wait and have a proper set up. As you are probably aware the jury is still out on whether certain hitches will or will not meet the new spec's that are being drawn up. I find that a lot with people, its criminal the way that some folk operate. If we ran a business the way many of them do we wouldn't have a business, but boy are you going to be having the last laugh on all the jerks who didnt take you for real I have a mate who has a flail he uses on his duck. I know nothing about it other than it eats trees but I will tap him up for info on Monday. I am very well thanks and a darn sight happier now I have finally got some money coming in. Been working ( not excessive hours but at least working ) but couldn't get paid :Banghead Being a joint venture nobody had thought about a joint bank account so that the likes of myself could be paid :idontgetit but its sorted now. Still on the M1 at Toddington and actually started doing something constructive ( pardon the pun ) but still only temporary works. Things looking good though. The problem is being away all week with no internet then canal on Sunday :beatsme

  45. #45AtlasRob2009-10-10 13:25

    man that is IMPRESSIVE :notworthy great find Graham, thanks for posting.

  46. #46BigIron252009-10-11 15:43

    Im loving the way you have this set up! It looks pretty wicked with tracks winch and engcon set up. what doesnt that machine do? make coffee?

  47. #47Eddiebackblade2009-10-12 15:07

    I've had to wait a while for another 8 tonner to be delivered so I could get a comparison shot. Had a little play in the yard and now I just can't wait to get it home. Think these pics will add some scale to the work done.

  48. #48Eddiebackblade2009-10-12 15:14

    I'd just like to add these last four pics as they show how much the frame has been widened and the extra rollers/clearance added.

  49. #49Westshore2009-10-16 19:22

    Find any work for swamp thing yet ? Should be able to float over pretty much everything including dirty water LOL

  50. #50Eddiebackblade2009-10-17 04:23

    The Jury is still out on it's actual soft ground ability, as a reasonable amount of weight has been added with the winch,Engcon,pads and blade extensions. However the contact area has been doubled and we certainly have not added another 8.5 tonne so it should be a fair bit better than standard. As for work,I have 2 clearance jobs on very sensitive sites already, but I am working towards a site demonstration for most of the relevant agencys in environmental and conservation work. This may give me time and also a good friend who doesn't know yet! to get to grips with it all. The Demo is on the 28th November on a boggy moorland site, whiich will involve re-profiling diitches and creating features to encourage birds. In addition to this I have purchased the Osma Flail Mower and this will be shown cutting clearings in rushes without the need to keep driving around and turning. The main thing is iinterest is very high, and unfortunately I feel I must resist the opportunity to actually be in the seat instead be there to explain all the features and benefits and do a bit of networking. I hope my mate will be up for the challenge and not get stage fright!

  51. #51nedly052009-10-17 05:41

    Thats some machine eddie, the fab work on it is excellent, it looks factory! How long did it take to get completed?Will you work it by the hour, or do bid work? Sweet machine for sure!!!

  52. #52AtlasRob2009-10-17 15:05

    Sorry Eddie I am too late with this, my mates is a Berti shredder http://www.bertima.it/en/prod_agricole.html Christ knows which model but it will eat up to 24" if you use it gently. Probably much more grunt than you'll need but you have the link now for future ref if you need it. Good luck with what you have gone with. :beatsme are you sure your not bottling it No problem at all Eddie I just wish you had given me a bit more warning Oh! ops its another mate,.................I just thought ..................... :crying no, no, its alright, really its ok. :bash :Banghead :guns Well there will be NO EXCUSE for a lack of pictures. GOOD LUCK. :beerchug

  53. #53Eddiebackblade2009-10-18 15:22

    Thanks for the link Rob on the flail, the Berti is a name that keeps appearing but nothing seems to be a clear leader in the Flail Mower stakes so I just went with the Osma as it can be specced/supplied and set up by JCC who have proved to be most knowledgeable in this sort of field. As for inviting you to be operator for the Demo, if you lived closer you could get the gig for me anyday. Your skill at the controls , knowledge of the work and attitude are just what is required:thumbsup As would be a good bit of time in a large field just the same as me with a good pile of muck to hide behind, to get used to the Engcon!! Honestly I thought I was fair handy with a tilt bucket, but this thing will tie you up in knots:Banghead:beatsme:Banghead:beatsme Then you find the grab will open and close at the same time as you tilt and rotate!!! :beatsme ointhead I had a very intelligent design engineer from the bucket suppliers viewing the set up to iron out a few issues, and he asked 'do they send you on a course to operate the Tiltrotator'. I answered his question by dragging him into the seat and showing him the basics, then said the rest is up to your imagination!

  54. #54cps2009-10-18 16:34

    Hi Eddie I have been meaning to reply to this thread, but have been waiting to take time to reply right:drinkup First of the Kubota turned out great!! it really looks the part and very versatile! I think you have really found whole new market for your self! The conversion really does look factory finish, they seem to be very professional and obviously well used to doing this kind of work. I have seen there web site and some of the other conversions they have done! Theres no doubt you went all out on this kit and I hope you find work for this outfit, although i cant see it sitting idle for to many days once word gets out about it! Especially with the mower attachment! I know that was a big investment to but with the amount of conservation work now adays it shoud pay of! What made you go for the Kubota? any particularly reason? I ran one once taking a ram or something of another machine, seem like smooth machine. what was the main reason for the size, transport reasons?? How are you getting on to the engcon? another very usefull piece of equipment, can you use the mower with it? Anyway Hope it all works out, you obviously invested alot of money and time in this proect, look forward to more pictures of it in action! CPS

  55. #55AtlasRob2009-10-18 17:15

    Thanks, I consider that praise indeed. :drinkup I dont doubt that for a second. You know as well as I how versatile a tilt bucket can be and what a waste of time it is in the hands of an unintrested, even experienced operator. imagination seems to be the secret to getting the best out of an Engcon. I really wish you the very best of luck with your new venture. As I stated in a previous post, you've now graduated to the elite few. :woohoo GOOD LUCK. :beerchug

  56. #56d4c24a2009-10-19 14:47

    imagination i would like to try one on the utility side of work ,as i can see how much of an effective tool it would be ,more so on the larger diameter mains in the congested grounds of our towns and city's :drinkup graham

  57. #57Eddiebackblade2009-10-24 07:21

    Thanks for all the kind words and support from you all it has been much appreciated and somewhat comforting that others in Industry can see the potential of such a machine. Thanks Again:thumbsup:beerchug I wondered where you had been hiding CPS, and you are the first to question why I went with the Kubota? You are spot on that Transport width was a factor and I had already decided that a unit exactly on the legal limit without any additional hassle was the way forward. A good bid on the Hitachi Zaxis160 confirmed that a new 8 tonne unit with warranty could be fairly cost effective against converting a larger secondhand unit. It is just the economy of scale that track pads are smalller, Engcon is 2 sizes smaller etc that can really add up overall. Why actually Kubota? A few factors really, I have used most of their mini excavator range and always liked their build quality, performance, reliability and fuel economy. However I also like the Hitachi 8 tonner and the new CAT 307d would be on any shortlist along with the Volvo. It really came down to the build of the Kubota and the fact that there is plenty of metal in them where it counts. JCB for example use a 45mm pin throughout their machine where Kubota is 60mm, and since having the frame cut up by JCC they confirmed it was built as strong as a 140 Volvo with 10mm plate. Another factor was warranty, and a positive meeting with Kubota confirmed my 3 year warranty will still be in place despite the mods with the exception of travel motors (never expected them to be covered anyway) which is a useful back up. Cost believe it or not was not any influence, once the decision was made to switch from the Zaxis 160 conversion to a brand new 8 tonner then the main factor has been getting it just right as I've got to drive it and the simple aim to create a 'wow' factor to open a few doors. The only thing I desperately wanted but had to cut on cost grounds was the two-piece boom version and this was absolutely ridiculous despite all of Kubota UK's best efforts. Lastly and probably most importantly, the fact they took me serious! The treatment I have received from John Barnfield at BTE plant sales from an initial conversation at the Kubota Live event has been outstanding. Instead of the usual 'we'll get back to you rubbish' he had a meeting in their yard stood around a new 8 tonner with a technical representitive from Kubota arranged straight away. Since then he has been a major factor in the successfull completion of this project and I shall be writing to Kubota UK personally to make them fully aware of his contribution. I have already got a little idea for a Super LGP version to complement this one!:idea

  58. #58stock2009-10-24 07:58

    Eddie I do hope that the time,effort,and expense you have put into this excellent piece of equipment will be repaid.It was nice to see that kubota is supporting you fully with the warranty and if we are buying again we will consider them on your experience. Best of luck to you and well wear. Stock

  59. #59ZTS Plant2009-11-13 20:04

    Wow Eddie what an amazing bit of kit!!!!! :notworthy I haven't been in touch with this web site for a while, but was constantly reminded by Oliver at JCC about a thread on your machine, so I decided to go in search. I just sold my JZ70 and as soon as the machine left the yard the phone started ringing!! Always the way eh?!:beatsme I kept the Engcon EC10 of the machine and now looking to replace it, not sure what to go for but your Kubota has left me scratching my head!! I love the JCB machine's but they seem to be unable to offer me the proportional controls as a factory fit option, did Kubota offer you this? How is the machine going? what about the LGP? It's another thing Oliver is trying to sell me!!!!!!! How are you getting the hang of the Engcon? It takes a bit of getting used to! but worth it! I couldn't have a machine without one now. Congrats again on taking the leap of faith, don't forget the pictures with a dirty bucket!

  60. #60Eddiebackblade2009-11-14 15:39

    :bash:bash:bash

  61. #61Eddiebackblade2009-11-14 15:53

    Many thanks for your kind words ZTS. I am extremely pleased with the Kubota and how everything has been set up, with the exception of the buckets that will end up being nothing better than a bodge up I could have done myself!! I hear you with your JCB, and having family and friends working at the factory nearby I feel somewhat ashamed to have turned my back on them. However I simply feel the 8 tonne Kubota is built much stronger (nearly 13 tonner) and has tremendous design and finish quality. The residual values are holding very well on them endorsing their popularity also. I am completely biased obviously , but worth a look if you are considering another unit. The proportional controls were installed by JCC, and look/feel factory. As for the LGP conversion, it works very well in practice and during an initial demonstration for a client I ended up spinning the machine on the spot to create some ground damage. This was however limited to a smearing of the surface with no cutting in, despite being so wet my boots were sinking in around 3". I feel this was probably the most cost effective portion of the whole machine build, but the wider pads can add somewhat to the overall cost. I know many are waiting for a few working pics and video, but it's still in hiding awaiting it's big demo day at the end of the month. The flail mower basically must arrive on monday, so I can get that up an running and then it's just fitting the safety gear (fire extinguisher, first aid kit an spill kit) to be fully sorted. I have 2 months work already booked, and that's without the demo day so I'm reasonably happy so far. Have you got the integral grab ZTS?

  62. #62AtlasRob2009-11-14 16:21

    Excuses, excuses. excuses, just go buy some new batteries for that camera and get on with it. Great to hear things are moving forward for you Eddie, we are waiting but are now accepting that we will have an early Christmas present when you do finally post them. :yup :thumbsup

  63. #63Per Eriksson2009-11-15 05:57

    What's wrong with the buckets?

  64. #64Eddiebackblade2009-11-15 10:25

    Basically the machine was supplied with 5 additional buckets included in the price, and I had the choice of manufacturer. Having consulted with my chosen manufacturer, I paid the extra to have genuine CAT tips and adaptors welded to the buckets as I don't like bolted teeth and it's easy to add a plate to dig around services etc. The bucket manufacturer purchased the correct adaptors to fit the Engcon hitch direct from Engcon so I was happy things would fit. Upon first fiitting it became apparent that the angle of the adaptor relative to the toe plate was completely wrong and the buckets would not rotate enough to retain material in a loading situation. The main reason for this is the manufacturer has simply produced a standard pattern CAT 307 bucket with a flat back profile to fit their own quick hitch system. Onto this they have welded the Engcon adaptor to produce a nice factory looking bucket that fits snugly into the Engcon unit. This would have been great if the angle of the standard bucket produced had suited the machine, but it clearly does not and the rear pin must be rotated 100mm or 4" upwards to correct the geometry. This can be achieved by simply cutting the Engcon adaptor off and putting a wedge of plate to space it to the correct angle. Easy as that, but the look and fit that it will achieve will look anything but factory! The buckets will simply look adapted from something else, and the money I have spent on this is certainly not what I wanted to achieve. To put the whole issue right will involve a little surgery to the back of the bucket to bring the flat portion around to the desired angle and then fit the Engcon adaptor back on in it's original close fitting positioin to retain the close fitting factory look. The manufacturer is unwilling to do anything without ridiculous cost, but the supplying dealer has been good enough to cover the cheap'wedge' option. I am stuck for time, and would have been prepared to put a little money in if the manufacturer had shown some goodwill and charged the mods at reasonable cost to get it all sorted. They were asking the same amount of money for each modification as I can buy new buckets for! So the outcome is buckets with a wedge of metal inserted to make them work! The moral of the story is don't buy any buckets before you have your tiltrotator fitted, then get someone with the experience to do the job right for you and get the close fit they need. Before someone states the obvious and says you should have bought Engcon buckets, I will say they are siimply too expensive to consider. The only thing I want from all this hassle is the buckets to arrive back in time for the Demo, because if they don't then I'll have no option but legal action.

  65. #65stock2009-11-15 13:01

    Well now I think you are selling yourself short here Eddie,the problem is not yours to solve,you ordered buckets to fit a Kubota with an engcon wrist,the bucket manufacturer knew this and bought the correct adaptor plate,then attached them to the wrong bucket,he knew they were for a Kubota,and you wanted Cat teeth. He has not supplied what was ordered and there for should not receive payment, would you pay for the modification to the excavator if they gave you a Doosan instead of the Kubota.

  66. #66AtlasRob2009-11-15 14:22

    Sorry Eddie, I am with Stock on this. That stinks. If they have supplied a C@t pattern bucket due to the fact you wanted C@t teeth to fit on a Kubota would the bucket geometry be correct without the Engcon? I dont know, its a question. I suspect the geometry would be wrong giving you the same problem you have now, in which case the goods are NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE. DONT get rolled on this, get advice and fight it. I understand you need buckets PDQ and probably cant afford to jeperdise their return but have you contacted Daniel, surely he can beg, steal or borrow you a couple of genuine bkts from one of his clients for a few days of the demo.

  67. #67Eddiebackblade2009-11-16 13:22

    It's a real old mess to be honest, and the main factor is the supplying dealer was paid for the whole package before delivery as obviously you would want all the money if someone was going to chop the machine up!! Unfortunately the buckets were included in the price and hence got paid for in full before delivery. If I was holding some money on them they would have gone straight back no messing about. The dilema is the manufacturer is basically saying there is nothing wrong with them, but the supplying dealer wants to be right with me and will pay for the basic modification to put them right. The main sticking point is that they see cutting the actual bucket to put the additional metal in so that it would be a close fit and look factory as a 'special modification' and want me to stump up the extra. As I have said before I would be willing to throw a little cash at it right or wrong, to get the buckets as I would want them but I'm not paying over inflated prices to put right their mistake. If they would hold their hands up and say we never give the geometry a thought and just welded the Engcon bracket to the easiest standard one we produced, which happened to be a CAT 307 flat topped bucket for their own dedicated quick hitch and offer to get them sorted quick and at cost it would be all sorted. They are certainly a useless outfit as they could not see my point at all about having great big 'ears' on buckets. I pointed out that buckets should be as close a fit as possible (especially on a tiltrotator) and the extra 4" wedge would be just fresh air, instead of useful extra bucket capacity. They could not see my point at all:Banghead If I reject them I'll see no money back and probably no buckets!! :Banghead:deadhorse

  68. #68AtlasRob2009-11-16 14:25

    I feel your frustration. I bought a 24" bucket from a company in Birmingham I needed it in a hurry and they could supply. Atlas run on 60mm pins so off the shelf is not always available at short notice. It worked and did the job but the geometry was as you are experiencing, WRONG! Get the buckets back so you can at least work, then I would seriously suggest you get proffessional advice. The problem will be trying to explain / convince a legal eagle of the problem. To a non operator a bucket is a bucket is a bucket. A side view of an original Kubota bkt sat flat on the deck with one of an unaltered C@t 307 bkt would be a very good starting point. Have the bucket manufacturers the slightest idea of just how much high profile industry wide advertising this machine is going generate and the work it could generate for them as a company able to supply adapted buckets to fit tilty's at a fraction of the price of the originals. NOT!

  69. #69Eddiebackblade2009-11-16 16:32

    You are absolutely spot on with your last comment Rob, there is a definate gap in the market for a decent bucket manufacturer who can produce a viable alterative to Engcon's own products at sensible cost. I doubt it will be this manufacturer, they are so wrapped up in getting their new quick hitch adopted by everyone that small fry like me don't count. However as you rightly point out this machine was always intended to be high profile and I have already pointed out how many views this thread alone has received. I am as you know a full time operator/groundworker and have been absolutely stretched to keep working whilst sorting everything out, however there is light at the end of the tunnel and I will have the time I need to give this matter the full attention it deserves. I have given them fair warning I'll make it clear they managed to spoil what has so far turned out to be a great machine to anyone who will listen, and as my sister is a solicitor and my legal issues are sorted for free they might be in for some hassle of their own. Just hope they arrive in time for the Demo now, and the mods don't look like a pigs ear!

  70. #70qball2009-11-16 18:20

    a cut and paste of this thread may help.

  71. #71AtlasRob2009-11-17 08:28

    Man, I read that wrong first time. I read it as a joke on the theme of cut and shut cars and a bit near the nuckle even for Q, who we all know can be a bit ........... blunt SORRY Qball, I reread it and see what you meant, I tend to agree with you. Although the manufacturer has not been named........yet..........they need to be aware of the power of communication around the world.

  72. #72Eddiebackblade2009-11-28 09:00

    It's been a hectic few days! Arrived back into a very wet UK after being on holiday to find the proposed site of the demonstration too wet to access with the lowloader. It took a frantic few hours driving around to find another suitable site but we found another that appeared better than the initial one so that was a result. This however was the time I had allocated to fit the flail mower, but a local hydraulics guy was kind enough to work well into the evening to fit the necessary 'T' pieces and lengthen the hoses to get it fitted. However all was not well and the mower was simply not getting enough flow, and the Kubota seemed unwilling to 'sense' this and provide more flow. An early call next morning to John Craig has me pushing buttons and pulling levers to no avail, and John racking his brains for the solution. I suggested he had a coffee as I had plenty of other things to get ready and call me back later. Call me back he did but not what I expected, he asked my location and explained he was already well over the border and on the way down to me. Nothing unusual you may think, but he is in Stirling Scotland around 5 hours drive away from me! John arrived and quickly diagnosed the problem as a setting on the Engcon control unit and soon had the flail operating properly. When the Kubota decided to provide all it had got, the flail really come alive and had us all running for cover! I can only say a great big thanks to John Craig for driving 10 hours round trip to get me sorted and speaks volumes for his willingness to go the extra for customers.:thumbsup The buckets finally arrived just in time, and I hate them! I have added a couple of pictures that show the 'wedge' added to alter the angle and this will make things clearer in previous posts. The demo was well attended despite being cancelled and then moved etc, and most of the comments were favourable. The machine traversed the ground without hardly a mark, and the mower appeared to be a hit with all. I should have the pics and some video back shortly.

  73. #73watglen2009-11-28 09:23

    Good job getting out there and marketing yourself. Way to go!!!

  74. #74cps2009-11-28 12:33

    Hi Eddie Glad the demo went well, was thinking it must have been soon! But i think even your LGP machine might not be any good in some parts of the UK or ireland this week, need more of a submarine! the buckets dont look tooooo bad (at least in the pictures) How are they for performace is the geomitrey ok?

  75. #75Canadian_digger2009-11-28 17:37

    What if you grind the welds smooth on the bucket and paint it.

  76. #76AtlasRob2009-11-28 17:56

    That wont cure the bad taste, the feelings of being misled and basically shafted by a supposed specialist, to say nothing of the lost capacity. :Banghead Real glad you got everything sorted for the demo Eddie, we did try to contact you to say we thought you had left a tap running when you skidaddled off on holiday You cant fault service like that can you, 10hrs drive without question. :notworthy hope you bought him lunch

  77. #77Eddiebackblade2009-11-29 04:16

    Yes Canadian Digger I could just grind everyting smooth and paint them, but as soon as they come within sight of my genuine Engcon grading bucket the difference becomes glaringly obvious. It would look better but still just wrong. The old saying 'you can't polish' a turd comes to mind but I suppose you can 'roll them in glitter!' If just one person learns from my lesson though, at least something good comes from it. I have been decent enough not to broadcast the manufacturer, but if any of the UK guys on here want to find out then please pm me. After the demo which obviously the machine has been saved for I took the opportunity to close the door open her up and get stuck in! Yes tiltrotators are harder to use in anger than you first think! Demo was just a little messing and so was practice leading up, but I can now put it to real work and I've plenty of learning to do. Would I change anything yet? I'm seriously thinking of taking the top quick hitch off and having the unit direct mounted, It will reduce weight and build height giving more back to the Kubota and I don't think the Tiltrotator is ever going to come off that often. Lastly of everything I've added if you wan't some interest in your machine bolt a great big winch to it, you have to fight them off with a stick looking at it!

  78. #78Demo_Andy2009-11-29 06:18

    Impressive machine that Eddie, shame about the bucket problems you've been having but I'm sure you'll get it sorted some how. I'm intrigued by how your selector grab will be set up with the controls. Have you got hold of the grab yet? Its just come to mind that the grab would use the rotate off the engcon as apposed to a standard selector having its own built-in rotate. I just wonder if you have rotate and open and close on each graduation lever how do then control tilt, via buttons or pedal? I drive a Cat and use selectors alot and thats set up on the graduation levers on each joystick, just not sure how I'd control tilt if I had the option. I probably wouldn't because I'm in demo, not much need for tilt really. Andy

  79. #79AtlasRob2009-11-29 08:04

    OK, this is your final warning PICTURES! :drinkup

  80. #80Eddiebackblade2009-11-29 09:40

    Very valid point that Andy, and one I got the wrong answer to when I was sold the unit. I was under the impression that I would have to press a button to switch between tilt and grab and control it with the same roller. However the set up and also John Craig are much smarter than that, and what happens is there is an extra button on the outside edge of each lever that you operate with your first finger. This allows you to keep your thumbs on the rollers at all times and then use your fingers to open and close the grab i.e all the functions at once! There is a changeover switch between this and the integral grab which operates the same way. The really clever bit is if you feel the need to pick up something very carefully, you can switch the grab onto the tilt roller for greater control. Basically with the proportional set up and the right person to set it up on the control box you can have what you want. I hear you with the 'tilt' on a selector grab, but it's just another thing that you would never go back having tried it. Hard to imagine until you use one, but the time and repositioning saved is massive. I know some mean person who specced a CAT 320 D with two foot pedals to operate a big selector grab and everyone who's tackled it has made some pretty bad comments! It would be a long shift in that. What part of the country are you Andy?

  81. #81Eddiebackblade2009-11-29 11:51

    Rob, I'll post you a train ticket to come up and get you a couple of films if this will keep you happy!! Obviously I was pretty tied up on the morning, it was like being in Dragons Den for 2 hours! So I am waiting for Natural England to sort out what they have taken and pass it on to me. I've been asked indirectly today to do another demo for a different region as I am on the border of two area's. Hard to know what to do as the costs can quickly add up and no guarantees of any work! I have this week and then it's out to work anyway so time may be against another demo.

  82. #82Demo_Andy2009-11-29 16:05

    I'm in Warwickshire Eddie, working for a Birmingham based demo company. Well the way you've explained that set up sounds bang on, I'd definately say that being able to control the three functions simultaneously is a must. For example if your machine is on a different level to say a 2' x 2' slab, as you rotate grab to line up, open to right width then feather the angle to land square on - all makes sense. Having to switch between functions, although effortless it would break the rhythm. I certainly wouldn't have specced a new machine with foor pedal control, I actually spent a year or so on a Komatsu 210-7 with foot pedal set up operating a grab and it wasn't clever. You'd get use to it but as you get better you want to use tracks at the same time, so unless you've got 4 legs its a no-go. The proportional switches are a god send and being able to control everything as well as feet on the track pedals is exactly what you need. I have no idea of the cost of these different controls set ups and I bet buying from Cat wouldn't be cheap but I'd make sure it would be comfortable foremost. Comfortable= production in my eyes. Theres no doubt theres being times I've thought tilt would be good here, but I think in demo we'll have to just get on with what we've got! Would be good linked up to the grabs and buckets for light duty demo but when it come to heavy work, hammering, concrete cracker type stuff the engcon would have to come off. Theres some pics of my type of work in the demo forum if your interested, UK Demo pictures I think the thread is called. Andy

  83. #83cps2009-11-29 18:06

    Carefull offering out tickets Eddie, i might want a plane ticket :drinkup That really is a great service, you have got from the suppling dealer, hats off to them!! As for the second demo, could you let them see you at work on the first job you have lined up?

  84. #84lectro882009-11-29 22:38

    Eddie Let me say yet again what an awsome machine. I am a little slight shade of green. (i want 1) We all know you paid a primo price and (here is vinegar poured on a open wound) got plastic rims still spinning on a Bentley. You deserve better and let me also say you have been a very good sport about it all. I would make the 1st job for the buckets burying a few of the ones responsible for not making it right, then sue their a$$e$ offff, the ones left. I really hope you prevail as you deserve.

  85. #85Eddiebackblade2009-12-01 15:46

    Demo pics and video are starting to appear, and here are a few pics that one person attending has posted. They mainly show the business end of the machine, but you can see the machine and mower in some. They all loved how it can place fencing stakes, and in soft ground it is really fast at it. The few pics with the bucket show an awkward rock that was right where I was digging (They only want 4 to 6 inches of soil removed to form a shallow pool) and was making life difficult. It demonstrates how the integral grab can help you out in the blink of an eye and I simply pulled it out like a tooth and carried on. More on the way. http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/charlie280681/LGP digger/

  86. #86hvy 1ton2009-12-01 22:25

    Looking good Eddie. If building engineered wetlands and such is getting as big over there as it has around here, i think you'll be knee deep in jobs before long. They just finished a 300ac(~120ha) wetland remediation project to appease the greenies for the K10 bypass, yet a group of KU students is trying to stop the project for the 5th time in 10 years. It's already half-way done and we have the real bridge to nowhere, but i digress. Hope to see some pics of paying jobs soon.:drinkup

  87. #87AtlasRob2009-12-03 16:09

    :Banghead I suppose the ticket offer has been withdrawn now then Keep um coming :thumbsup. I noticed your comment about pinning straight on and saving some weight. I can see how that would work for you as the likelyhood of you using a breaker for a prolonged length of time or any seriously hard digging are prety remote which are the times they recommend dropping the tilty. I was suprised to see you bought a selector grab as you have the integral one but then if you are doing site clearance brush clearing etc it will be a great asset as you had already worked out. :tong

  88. #88Eddiebackblade2009-12-03 17:27

    Half a ticket and lunch only now Rob! I've had a ridiculous quote for the bracket to Direct mount the Engcon so I can take the quick hitch off. It must be made from titanium at a price of £3,000 It would be a good move I'm certain but not at that price, I would think a shorter dipper arm would be cheaper fom Kubota! Selector grab from Engcon is beautifully made and extremely light compared to all others I had quotes for. It is also extremely expensive, but has Expander pivots throughout which should ensure a long rattle free life. Even the SK10 model I have to suit the Kubota will open out to 1.7 metres which is a good amount. I definately made the right choice with the Integral grab, as it is simply brilliant and so easy to use with how the joysticks are set up. You have never seen a low loader loaded with 6 buckets and a mower so fast! I tracked on with the mower hanging securely from the integral grab, whilst having the selector grab fitted. I then placed the mower down on the bed and loaded the buckets with the selector grab in double quick time, we were off with no hassle and a happy low loader driver! I have a bit of a dilema with the flail mower and have been looking into a rear mounted auxiliary powerpack for it, to finish the job and my bank balance off completely! Hopefully full working pics next week and It's possibly a steep enough site to get that winch cable out for the first time!

  89. #89Eddiebackblade2009-12-05 10:43

    Had the shock of my life this morning when the suppling dealer of the Kubota sent me an Invoice for 'Modify Buckets for Kubota Kx 080 as agreed' £700 please!! :Banghead:Banghead ointhead I was supplied Buckets that did not work with the machine, and they now have the face to ask me to pay the Jokers who made them in the first place £700 to put them right. If it was my place to put them right, they don't honestly think I would have taken the buckets back to them do they? They don't deserve a penny more of my hard earned cash. I would have used someone cheaper and local who I would trust to do them right. This is the last straw with me regarding this machine, and if I don't start getting some decent answers on the Buckets and Flail mower then things are sadly going to get messy all round. I'm at my wits end ointhead with with machine conversions, it would have been easier and cheaper to just buy a CAT 307 on 2ft pads with a good tilt bucket and sit at home until it was dry enough to work!

  90. #90AtlasRob2009-12-05 14:29

    Jeez ! I can see this getting messy. Somebody thinks your a soft touch my friend. Maybe time to take the gloves off and explain a few home truths to some people. I hear you on the grabs, and the many options that can be programmed into that magic box of tricks they have. I was gobsmaked at SED when Oliver started to explain it. I know I never digested half of the info, I was trying to hard to keep my jaw off the floor I bet the lowloader driver nearly wet himself when he saw that lot and a bloke who could use it, either would have been a suprise, but both, I bet he thought Christmas had come early. :notworthy Hang on in there mate it will come good. :beerchug

  91. #91amyliveshere2009-12-06 06:15

    very interesting to read about your machine eddie.im not at all suprised about all your bucket problems.nobody these days cares about any thing.its a take it or leave it attitude.ive been recently trying to get some brochures on cat backhoes from finnings.rang them 3 times and e maild 5 times and nothing.also been waiting over 2 years to try a 3cx contractor with servo controls and again its next to impossible.good luck with your kubota.it looks a fantastic machine nick..........

  92. #92Eddiebackblade2009-12-06 10:28

    Thanks Nick, I can relate to your experiences of not being taken too seriously. I had a few classic phone calls where I tried to explain I wanted to chop up a new machine! As I have said before that BTE plant sales have been really good throughout, and I sincerely hope that this bucket issue will not spoil that relationship. I have a very good friend who walked into his JCB dealer looking for a very clean, late model, full spec backhoe loader and all they wanted to sell him was a new basic spec at a knock down price. He pointed out he wanted all the toys as he drives it himself, but couldn't quite stretch to the new price this time. In the end he just walked out and drove 1 mile to the Volvo dealer and bought a full spec 300 hour immaculte machine on the spot! Just shows that some dealers are so short term sighted, he could of been sorted into a nice used JCB for a little while and looked after and the sale of the new machine would have come at his next trade in. My personal theory is that most areas have a plant hire hierarchy, and the dealers will throw themselves at the long established companies at the expense of lesser players or those just starting out. In my mind they do this at their peril, as all companies start somewhere and you shouldn't forget those who help you on the way. If I were you I would get on the phone to Finning at Cannock and get the name at the Top, then E-mail them and explain the treatment you have received. Point out that you subscribe to this Forum and others are wauting to see how they handle this. Same for JCB, but go for SIr Anthony Bamford and remember to give as much detail about who you have contacted regarding viewing their machines. Frustrates me that there are very few opportunities left to actually get in different types and makes of machines and actually have a real go. I bought my Kubota after attending their Kubota Live event where you could actually have a dig with any of their products in real conditions. I actually bought my Engcon and I had only ever used JCC's Volvo for a couple of minutes. If operators could have Tiltrotators for a couple of day's then there would be some grown men reduced to tears when they took them back.

  93. #93Wrench_one2009-12-06 12:28

    Real nice setup there.

  94. #94Eddiebackblade2009-12-14 16:05

    The bucket saga is finally over hopefully, with the supplying dealer going after the bucket manufacturer to pay for the cost of the modifications. Having a real good time out to work at present, trying everything out some really steep ground with plenty of wet patches to float over! I have been having a play with the flail mower, and the Engcon definately must come off to use it. Otherwise the combination of Engcon and Mower is just too much for the little Kubota. I have posted a video of the Osma Semi Forestry flail Hoovering up Brambles with ease! YouTube - VID 00016-20091211-1152.3GP

  95. #95cps2009-12-14 16:37

    thats what we've been waiting to see!! making some light work of that Eddie!

  96. #96Eddiebackblade2010-01-23 11:54

    Just thought I would give an update on how the Kubota has been performing during it's first couple of jobs. To be honest I am really dissapointed that no real opportunity to do any actual digging has presented itself yet, hence no pictures of the Engcon forming some nice shapes at this time. I have a nice size fishing pool to dig around March, in some really wet ground so that will be the real test of the set up. As for everything else, I have been really busy with the Engcon/Selector Grab, and the Osma Flail mower for site clearance. A combination that has provided some outstanding results on sites that basically nobody else wanted to quote for and we were given a chance at. The selector grab is a complete revelation to the Tree lads, with the ability to sort and shift the brash and timber very quickly. It reduces the number of cuts for them dramatically as they just concentrate on any portion worth saving for firewood and the grab clears up the rest. However it is the flail mower that is having most impact, it will clear a site at a quite unbelievable pace, leaving a very fine residue and a clear path everywhere for the Tree lads to work safely. The before and after pics show what a transformation, and with careful planning and full use of all the machines reach hardly a mark is left on the site despite any slopes or contours. The LGP set up is proving to be money well spent, it is very difficult to quantify how much extra floatation you gain but it very rarely cuts through more than a few inches and has only really sunk once in a particularily wet spot that just had to be driven into! I have only praise for the Kubota, it is a good place to spend the day even at 6' 4" tall, and the build quality and finish are outstanding. Fuel consumption is excellent, even when using the Flail mower for full days and no more than you would have expected an average 5 tonner to use. Certainly if you are used to fuelling Cat 312's on a regular basis this will make you happy! The Engcon has performed faultlessly, and enables very accurate positioning of the grab by having the ability to tilt. I have said before how useful the Integral grab is, and there really is no going back now having got used to the ability to just pick items up and place the excactly where you want them instead of chasing them around with a bucket. No lies here, weight is definately an issue with an Engcon set up but you get around it and win through in so many other ways it hardly matters. I always remove the unit to fit the Flail mower as it is just too much for the Kubota, but it only takes a couple of minutes anyway so no real problem. Only had the Winch out once, but it still gets all the attention from everyone who notices it. It works brilliantly from the blade control lever and is best described as 'on top of the job!' Only one incident to report, I was lucky to spot the master pin had come half way out on the Track but luckily it was easily pulled back into line with a ratchet strap and knocked back into place. I put a couple of tacks on it with the welder to be certain it stays in place in the future, and cut a small notch in the end of the appropriate track pad so I can locate it straight away. All things considered a good start, and I am looking for a very heavy duty Forestry mulcher to complement the Flail mower and take some more work off the Tree lads!

  97. #97Eddiebackblade2010-01-23 12:09

    A few more, and obviously the Landrover is rescuing the Kubota!!

  98. #98Eddiebackblade2010-01-23 12:25

    The latest site being cleared. It got down to -12 degrees C, and the trouble we had to clear the Top rollers was unbelievable. Greatest respect to you guys working in colder climates, because we are just not used to it. The video of me cutting slices of iced mud from around the top rollers with a Chainsaw is being kept under lock and key!!

  99. #99stock2010-01-23 12:49

    They have made the burning of deleterious matter here a criminal offence except for a member of the farming community.

  100. #100Eddiebackblade2010-01-23 13:03

    Just the same here Stock, this is just disposal of brash on on sensitive sites that are agricultural and would usually be performed by placing metal sheets on the ground to protect a conventional fire from damaging the ground. We decided the skip would be more effective and much easier to contain and clean up afterwards. It has proved a very effective and tidy solution.

  101. #101Demo_Andy2010-01-23 13:13

    Hey Eddie, nice report and pics. Loving the selector grab set-up. Just an idea for you if you're raking up alot/clearing brush with the grab to reduce cycle times. Try and get hold a lightish 4'-5' length of RSJ and use that in the grab as a scraper. Leaves a good finish with practice and speeds you up a lot.

  102. #102Eddiebackblade2010-01-23 13:23

    Thanks Andy, I hear you with the Rsj, as I currently just pick up a convinient straight log and use that with reasonable results. We have been looking into manufacturing a rake to fit onto the Engcon utilising some agricultural spring tines that are commonly available at a reasonable price mounted along a good length of box section. It would be a bit of trial and error to get the spacing and tine selection right, but wouldn't cost much so worth a go. Hope you are keeping busy Eddie

  103. #103stock2010-01-23 13:43

    These are strong and have bolt on tips http://www.beeversales.com/products3.html Spaldings also do some but I cant establish a link just at present.

  104. #104Eddiebackblade2010-01-23 14:18

    Spot on with what we come up with Stock:thumbsup, thanks for the link and the Spaldings site has proved quite a challenge for myself before but they do similar. I have also seen a few Menage rakes advertised in the Tractor mags at prices that would warrant buying and chopping the 3 point link brackets off. Only trouble is they are possibly too cheap to be made of anything worthwile. I think a good row of the tines pictured with the replaceable tips would be a worthwile/realistic project for sensible money and fairly easy to play about with spacings. There is another type of tine that is straight and looks like a 'jackhammer' point. I believe it has some form of quick mounting if it gets damaged but obviously has no spring effect. The company that manufactures the 'Postpuncher' post knocker for excavators manufactures a very lightweight version and it is strangely called the 'Scragg'. Looks handy enough for tidying up some topsoil though.

  105. #105Wolf2010-01-24 16:51

    That is a really practical idea. Good thinking, Demo Andy. I like it alot.

  106. #106AtlasRob2010-01-24 17:45

    Great pictures Eddie, really pleased that investment is out earning you some money. :drinkup

  107. #107joispoi2010-01-25 12:39

    Are you ready to trade in the flail mower for a snow thrower? Snow and ice can be a PITA especially if your shoes aren't notched to clean the sprockets.

  108. #108Eddiebackblade2010-01-25 21:25

    Joispoi, tell me more about about shoes notched to clean the sprockets? Seriously I was very conscientious about cleaning the tracks out parking on timbers etc during the cold snap we had, but was completely caught out when the temperature got to around -12c and stayed there! The top rollers were completely solid and nothing was shifting the mud from around them. Yes I did have to resort to a Chainsaw to carve the mud out in slices!

  109. #109joispoi2010-01-26 00:30

    Where the shoes bolt onto the chains, there are already small holes in the shoes. These holes let a small amount of material pass through each time a sprocket tooth enters the chain. They aren't big enough to allow a lot material to pass through, though. If one large hole is drilled on center with the link, it will allow snow and mud to get pushed through. This will prevent the links from getting packed with ice which will cause excess tension on the tracks and could make the sprockets jump (it makes a sickening sound when it happens ) The down side to the enlarged relief holes is that it's an access point for more dirt, sand etc to enter your tracks. I can't see that relief holes on the shoes will make much of a difference for keeping the tracks clean in general. You still have to shovel out your tracks at the end of the shift. Last time I had to track through snow was last winter in Iceland. There was 3 inches of ice on the road so the lowboy couldn't come and get me. The PC300 was up in a snow filled quarry in the hills. I took it for a 3 hr walk through the snow. The found that the best thing to clean the snow out of the tracks was when I took it through a 2 foot deep river that was frozen ontop but moving pretty swiftly under the 5 inches of ice. (Crossing and tracking down the river cut a half mile off my trip).

  110. #110Eddiebackblade2010-01-26 20:11

    Joispoi, I understand where you are coming from with the relief holes and have posted a picture of a CAT 320clu I photographed this week with some serious shoes on and with large holes that might explain more clearly. You are right about the water, as the last site had stream crossing and this proved very effective at getting the frames cleaned out of icy mud and snow.

  111. #111joispoi2010-01-27 00:06

    I tried finding some pictures for you, but I couldn't find any. Turns out your pictures are better, anyway. :drinkup

  112. #112cps2010-04-04 10:16

    Hi there Eddie hows it going over there, that wee kubota must be working hard as i havent seen you on here in a while! Hope shes still preforming well! keep us updated!

  113. #113Eddiebackblade2010-04-04 15:23

    Hi CPS, all has been very busy for the Kubota over the winter period. Thankfully both the Flail Mower and Selector Grab have proved to be excellent purchases, with good utilisation of both and only one chipped flail in a good few hours now. The base machine is heading for 350 hours now and really apart from the track master pins that have been a nightmare (welded solid now) the machine has been faultless. This is despite having worked in some fairly harsh conditions and a lot of steep slope work. I still have a couple of months booked, but have learnt quickly that this Environmental work is very seasonal. Have loads of pics to post when I get a little more time. Do you ever make the trip to Hillhead Show? Eddie.

  114. #114Panhandler Bob2011-04-29 23:03

    :notworthy:cool2 Eddie hve not heard much lately (different theard ??) How goes it? Very well thought out and built machine. Best of luck. Bob aka ZZ:beerchug

  115. #115qball2011-12-27 22:40

    eddie, you still muckshifting? kubota still running?

  116. #116stock2011-12-28 04:02

    Qball I believe he is and has purchased some more kit ........................

  117. #117Nige2011-12-28 09:13

    Eddie, working with squelchy material all the time as you obviously are those trapezoidal holes in the shoes are magic. They are specifically designed to extrude soft materials through the holes in and so avoid packing of mud, etc, around the sprockets. They wil lwork equally well in colder temperatures as in warmer ones. No idea if Kubota does anything like that but Cat offer them as an option for pretty much anything on tracks.

  118. #118AtlasRob2011-12-31 15:45

    Hi stock, you should have a pm somewhere in hyperspace. Qball Eddie is doing fine thanks for asking. As stock states a few bits have been added including another Kubota, slightly smaller but fitted with a tilty all the same. He has a few vids on Youtub http://www.youtube.com/user/lgpeddie Happy New Year.