Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sneaking it in or ” just cheating”

fixou812 ยท 2014-07-20 23:33

Okay here's the first picture let's see if it's not upside down well it is.... guess the next will be too at least I can post a picture now I can work out the upside down stuff

Replies30
  1. #1fixou8122014-07-20 23:38

    I thought about removing the two floor plates on this loader There's a flat floor plate and one at a 45 angle

  2. #2fixou8122014-07-20 23:46

    Above you can see where I cheated cutting that 3 by 3 piece I couldn't remove the floor plates with out removing the seat. there were metal tubing bolted under the floor plates. There's a heater with hoses mounted to the floor.

  3. #3fixou8122014-07-20 23:52

    I bet your arms not that long.... you can barely see it by that little square of light looking up from the middle of this 965

  4. #4lantraxco2014-07-20 23:58

    Gotta do what ya gotta do, they didn't make those old machines to work on.

  5. #5fixou8122014-07-21 00:03

    it doesn't look it but it has six line going to it It was a pain wrestling those un cooporative lines. Then I welded that little tab in. thanks for visiting just testing my picture skills

  6. #6fixou8122014-07-21 00:20

    You got that right Track' seemed like a Real job just to get the seat and floor out. also I was working on a different machine ( a bigger job ) At the same time so I had no patience for games.

  7. #7fixou8122014-07-21 02:01

    Well I haven't posted much lately because my dumb phone (Or dumb phone operator) has been acting up. Possible truthful confession? I did look in my "toolbox " Yes... the toolbox in my phone. ....? Check yep got one well looking around in my box.....one drawer not opened lately was a data transfer switch I.... forgot I have (and others) But I did have the WiFi on...... but to get back to the subject. ..... if I was a newbie......how many hours. ... to do this job? Parts $75

  8. #8oarwhat2014-07-21 19:00

    What loader is that CAT 980 OR 988? The flat floor piece on all my 988's and 980's comes up without removing the seat or heater.

  9. #9fixou8122014-07-22 03:57

    Its a 966

  10. #10fixou8122014-07-29 07:19

    Mechinics can be a bit superstitious at times, although they may not tell you that. They know Murphy's law is lurking. After considering removing the floor (and the seat) I decided not to do it without a pressure washer. To clean (the top) mid section of the machine.

  11. #11scheirerequip2014-07-29 10:25

    I'm my opinion if you got it in there and it's back to working ....you did your job ...I bet we all have had our demons of getting it done

  12. #12kshansen2014-07-29 12:21

    Some people don't under stand why I want to spend so much time cleaning things before working on them. An hour with a pressure washer can save a couple hours fighting thins, plus you almost always find other problems once the dirt and grease is out of the way.

  13. #13fixou8122014-07-29 17:22

    Summer is here K' if it breaks down. .. It would probably be in the winter. (Not good for washing in the feild)

  14. #14kshansen2014-07-29 19:43

    Yea and trying to work on that brake valve may be a pain today but out in the Home Depot lot in January with mittens on would not be fun

  15. #15fixou8122014-08-01 09:36

    Thanks for the reminder. (Get a warm weather Job) 0r " Install engine heaters or Block heaters now?" While ya got it apart. Most engine wear occurs during the first three minutes of warm up (true or false) The others I have belongs in the cold weather section. Show us your heaters. ........

  16. #16fixou8122015-07-26 11:30

    Hi Ken! Love reading your posts. ....I'm having pic posting problems. ....usually it's me but this time it may be my phone. Just'n bumping this thread for anyone struggling with something in their way. .... suppose you had to pay the Big Yellow truck guy big hours to fight this. ...now What's this floor plate worth? A value judgment. .... ps.....in some situations it may be prudent to spray the area with flame retardant Before! igniting your thermo nuclear separator.

  17. #17repowerguy2015-07-27 19:16

    Where I worked before we were expected to do exactly what you just did, and do it fast also! Leave the piece out too for trash disposal

  18. #18fixou8122015-07-27 20:36

    It was close to impossible to get those steel lines started with just one hand. ... don't know if I could do it in the winter!

  19. #19JD955SC2015-07-29 22:06

    Under our contamination control program we are required to wash all machines before bringing them into the shop. I too spend a lot of time cleaning a machine before bringing it in just because it makes it so much easier later when working on the machine, plus much less of a mess to clean up from the work. Not to mention less dirt means less crap that can get in hoses and fittings and tear stuff up.

  20. #20kshansen2015-07-30 12:40

    Speaking of winter they showed a short feature on the news last night here in Syracuse about the snow pill at the DPW in Buffalo, still not all melted and it is almost August! A couple more months and they will be starting to add to the pile! Glad I live in balmy Central NY, snow here is gone by the 4th of July!:tong

  21. #21repowerguy2015-08-01 12:26

    The pic of the floor cut out reminded me of a field repair early on at my last employer. Middle of winter, sand pit, snow, wind, Kawasaki loader with a o-ring blown on hyd. line under the cab. The only way to get at it without removing the hood was cut a hole in the front of the hood. Called the owner and told him the story and without hesitation said just cut the hole and get the hose fixed fast! That hole won't hurt anything and it will be there for the next time. I told a friend who runs a truck garage that once you start doing quick and dirty work like that it is hard to put that genie back in the bottle. I have done some catch up work for him and it is hard to not rough house with a customers nice shiny KW or Pete, but I dial it back somehow

  22. #22fixou8122015-08-01 12:46

    Awesome Repower....Great thinking proud you are fluid versatile when Playing in the feild....or shopping. ...how to teach that? Brings back memories. ...stories. ... but id rather hear yuns' stories since this computer can't spell !

  23. #23repowerguy2015-08-01 15:22

    I have taken a few young guys in and tried to learn em up so to speak. Usually the first lesson was that unless you are a dealer mechanic, the customer(operator,owner,foreman) wants it done now, so take what you got and get it back to work. They generally don't care about how you did it, just is it fixed and can I go. Lesson two was very careful use of a torch can make a multi step repair needing lots of disassembly much shorter by making a little needed space to get at something. If you are careful you won't compromise strength on something and get it out the door and into the dirt. Lesson three was don't try to find bad grounds, run a new one and be done with it. I know I may sound like a gas axe mechanic, but really I care and treat it as a craft. I tailor the work to the job at hand, rough machines get quick and dirty work, nice machines get more care taken and that is the secret I have tried to pass on. I Suppose the art is learning the discernment and that is just experience(bad decisions)!

  24. #24lantraxco2015-08-01 15:55

    Yup, "You want it fast, cheap, or good? Pick one."

  25. #25repowerguy2015-08-01 18:08

    I have another story, at another job at a asphalt contractor got the call that the paver was down. I am told broken hyd. line ,oil spraying out ,big mess, loaded trucks waiting to unload. I send my young un out and tell him find both ends of the hose and the fittings needed, get a long hose and run it outside the machine and get it moving to unload those trucks, real repair will be later that eve. when the paver gets back. Moral of the story no lost asphalt!

  26. #26fixou8122015-08-01 19:13

    When you're out in the middle of nowhere on a drilling rig. ...what you got is what you got reminds me of pull starting a Stationary pump motor with a rope and a pickup

  27. #27repowerguy2015-08-01 21:20

    I have been tempted to try the old rip cord on something but it has never been the time or place, but I know it would work! I once had a call on a truck down with a bad compressor miles out. Wrecker bill would be $750.00 so on the way there bought a gas compressor at Lowes for $650.00 and off I went. Driver helped me put it on top of the load of stone, air hose to the wet tank, off we go! Owner was livid that I "wasted" money on a tool like that! I got a little hot myself and told him I saved him a hundred and we keep the compressor to use again. Oh well, I still get worked up thinking about it!

  28. #28fixou8122015-08-01 21:41

    I know. ..been there. I seem to remember this older dresser dozer. ....twenty or more years old one owner. ..seldom used. ...and in great shape. And a "good sized "...or Fun Size" i don't remember. Hydraulic controls had a leak on the right side. ... steel lines. ...non flexible. ....to a block. In the middle of an eight pack or so. Almost was not about to change the o ring....lucky good weather. .... Almost ready ready to burn a hole in the side panel but was able to Sneak it in'

  29. #29kshansen2015-08-02 11:16

    Well for my story in the subject. Probably 10+ years ago the hydraulic hammer mounted on the jaw crusher to break up too big of rocks developed a problem. Hammer down in crusher and would not boom up to get it back out. This stopped all production! Well was thinking it could be a blown packing in the cylinder and we would have to figure out how to lift it with no crane on site. That was going to take some doing. So came up with the idea that it might be a problem in the control valve. Just to see if that was it decided to swap the two hoses. Up for down and down for up. Guess what picked the boom up with no problem, back into production in a few minutes! Now for "The rest of the story." At the end of season I removed the control valve assembly, 4 or 5 section valve, and while attempting to disassemble found major corrosion and rust. Showed it to boss and told him even if I did manage to get it apart doubted that the valve would be usable again, did I say very rusty from years out in the weather? Boss agreed, order new valve! So that is what was done, manufacture is very proud of their valves, $5,000.00 for the complete assembly, and as the delivery time was a few months the original valve was put back on the hammer so plant could start up the next week. Anyone want to guess where that brand new $5,000.00 valve has been for the last 10 years? That has been on the "Winter Work List" every year since the emergency repair day! Another victim of the "Prevented Maintenance Program" . Stop production for the season lay-off every one, start up production, call them back with less than half the time needed to cover "Winter Work List".

  30. #30repowerguy2015-08-07 19:20

    Here's another story, the paving co. had a PF 115 paver that a old operator loved, hated every other machine. Hyd. valves were under the engine over the hot asphalt electrically operated, forever leaking and sticking open or shut, whatever was the worst at the time. Got mad tossed the valve and put a 3 spool valve on the back of the machine and made controls like on a PF 65 for the screed and hopper(Google it)! Operator got on hooked the screed lever with his heel and off he went with no more issues from that old valve. He had ran an old PF 65 for years so he knew what to do with little adjustment needed! Old school controls!