Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Which grease to use?

nickbowers ยท 2014-07-22 18:53

Hi, I just purchased a Dewalt grease gun http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless-grease-guns-cordless-grease-gun-dcgg571m1.aspx Only to get it to Australia to find you use different size cartidges over in the US. So i need to buy some, will a 14oz cartridge fit in the gun that says it is for 14.5oz? Are either of these two good grease? http://www.amazon.com/Northern-Indu...1&noLL=1&source=dpaar#CustomerDiscussionsPost or http://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-7705...d=1406069173&sr=8-7&keywords=14oz+grease+pack We always use Castrol when buying locally. Cheers, Nick

Replies11
  1. #1mitch5042014-07-22 22:42

    This is what I use: I have been using it satisfactorily for 24 yrs. http://www.amazon.com/Mystik-MYS665...bs_auto_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1GZ2GPHYN0NCSWCJGKKX I use the high temp version above so I can use one grease for everything including wheel bearings. Here is the standard version which is good too: http://www.amazon.com/Mystik-665006...bs_auto_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1GZ2GPHYN0NCSWCJGKKX I don't really know anything about either of the ones you posted, but I know Northern Tool Company well. They sell mostly made in china tools and supplies, some of it is pretty good at a decent price, some of it is junk.

  2. #2ScottAR2014-07-23 00:43

    http://www.amazon.com/MYSTIK-665056..._sbs_hi_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0MN4A2PXC142BXAEKFW7 I use this one or the other two mentioned by Mr. Mitch. I like the moly for pressure resistance on the slow speed pins on the machines. Red stuff for general purpose.

  3. #3Plant Fitter2014-07-23 05:49

    Go and see your nearest dealer of John Deere farm machinery. John Deere grease comes in those small size cartridges. They should have a full range of grease types to suit whatever you need. Maybe worth trying your local Mobil distributor also. Ours told us that Mobil were no longer going to supply the normal size cartridges and were going for the small ones worldwide. We changed to a different company to keep getting the normal size, but it may be worth a try for you as you have the gun to suit. I don't know if Mobil actually went through with the change or whether they lost so many customers that they saw sense.

  4. #4Tinkerer2014-07-23 07:19

    Have you considered a bulk grease pump and use it to refill your gun ? They work quite well. I have used an air operated power grease gun to refill a hand operated one and the paper cartridge in the gun I was refilling lasted for hundreds of refills. Here is a link to one of the many dispensers available. http://www.gemplers.com/product/127725/Bulk-Grease-Pump

  5. #5nickbowers2014-07-23 08:39

    Hi All, Thanks for the replies. I ended up ordering some Lucas Oil Heavy Duty Grease because the local distributor had them in stock. should be delivered tomorrow. WIll try John deere and Mobil in the future, i tried all the normal stores and none of them had any. Cheers, Nick

  6. #6mitch5042014-07-23 22:07

    Just curious, how big are your grease cartridges? I've seen a grease tube bigger than 14 ozs.

  7. #7nickbowers2014-07-24 06:11

    ours a 450g when yours are 410g so only a tiny bit bigger.

  8. #8watglen2014-07-24 22:42

    Are those bulk grease gun loaders really any good??? I recall when I was a kid dad had something along those lines. All it did was fill the gun with air bubbles. Gave up and switched to tubes and never looked back. Have things changed since then?

  9. #9Dwan Hall2014-07-24 23:24

    Replace the air bleeder in the grease gun with a grease zirk then fill from a bulk air driven grease gun. No need to use the paper cartage in the gun as it is made to operate ether way. never had an air bubble to contend with using this system.

  10. #10Tinkerer2014-07-25 06:40

    After all the years I was filling my grease guns with an air powered one, I did not know the paper cartridge wasn't needed in the gun I was refilling. In regards to air bubbles in the refilled gun, never, not even once. That is the neat thing about replacing the bleeder with a zerk and filling the gun through it.

  11. #11Plant Fitter2014-07-25 07:31

    I have never bulk filled a grease gun. But I have read the instructions that come with them. The ones I buy are made by McNaught. They are set up for cartridge grease. If you are going to bulk fill without a cartridge in place, you have to change the position of the o-ring behind the follower bucket, so that it makes it a little wider to seal against the side of the grease gun, which of course is slightly larger in diameter than the inside diameter of the cartridge. By the way, our cartridges are made of plastic, not paper.