Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Snorkel Lift TBA60R WIll No Longer Lift – Need Help Troubleshooting the Problem

Craigermags · 2012-10-21 01:33

Hi everyone, I am seeking some help. I have a 1989 Snorkel Lift TBA60R. It has worked faithfully for years but all of a sudden it no longer wants to lift the boom either at the platform control center or at the control panel by the engine. From what post I have read on this forum there are discussions that the controllers may be bad, but would that effect the lift at the control panel by the engine. Any leads or help on this appreciated. I can say that the battery is fully charged and his being charged while the engine is running. Thanks Craig

Replies4
  1. #1barklee2012-10-22 20:46

    Well I would guess it isnt a controller issue, given the fact the lower doesnt work either. Does this machine have a push in style breaker that operates the lift/ lower function? Might want to check that out. Also, on the hydraulic tank side of the machine there is a bank of solenoids mounted to the pillar that operate each function. On my TB 60s they are labeled as to the function. You can take a small scratch awl or something to press in the centers of these to manually operate the functions, or some have a small handle on the sides to do this. That would tell you if its a hydraulic problem. I just dont really have a ton of experience trouble shooting these machines, i have had this problem and i think it had something to do with the solenoids on the pillar........ Good luck PS: Snorkels website has some parts and trouble shooting manuals on their website, you might try that. Also, Snorkel has a really helpful service dept you can call.

  2. #2Craigermags2012-10-23 02:46

    Hey,thanks for the lead on some potential solutions on this. I hope I can get to this before the snow flies (north idaho). Craig

  3. #3jim sharpe2020-11-13 11:31

    I have an older TB42 that has control issues. Some days the boom controls work great, but other days absolutely nothing does. The wiring had been butchered so i put everything back as original (i have manual) but need trouble shooting information on electronic components. The motor and pump work by manually pushing solenoids but not sure how to test electrical functions and don’t want to burn something up!

  4. #4Txhayseed2020-11-18 19:29

    1989 ??? So did this happen suddenly or just over time ? Hardest thing for the hydraulic system is lifting the boom. It requires the full force of the hydraulic system to lift all the dead weight up. I tell people all the time when troubleshooting you need to know where you are with your hydraulic pressures. That will steer you in the direction you need to go. If the pump is only doing half the work it should you might have some functions but not enough pressure to lift a 6k stick straight up. If you put a gauge on it and command boom lift up check what your getting.