I was wondering when boom extensions and ultimately snorkels short or super snorkels came in to use....
1st one I saw was on a u-boat.
Good one ! lol...
well....I guess nobody knows.....
Can't speak to Canada, they seem to use them much more than here in the States. My limited experience here in Washington was that when grapples became common place, probably in the early '60s, you started to see snorkels. Prior, you had the operator tossing tongs to get to the logs. Sometimes the big 72" tongs which were a bitch to handle by yourself. Here in Washington snorkels seem to be limited to picking up ROW on new roads when opening up a new area. I never saw them used on a landing like in Canada. Snoqualmie Weyerhaeeuser had two Washington Trakloaders on rubber doing nothing but picking up new ROW. In 1978 when all the new roads were complete and there were no more new areas to open up, they became obsolete. Personally, I only had a few days using tongs as one of the drums was down and the tongs came out. I worked bumping knots and second loading except for the few days I also had to chase tongs. Again though, we were only picking up new ROW, nothing like what they do or did in Canada.
Thank you, that helps quite a bit . I am working on a small logging railroad and wanted the proper equipment and of course matching it to the time. My Locos are mostly scratch build and cover different time periods so I wanted to match the equipment. when researching the Loaders and Yarders I fell in love with the equipment and started building some. One of the late fifties early sixties that uses tongs is still missing in the collection.....here are some. But still thanks again.
this is the last one :
My best guess is in the 70s
Funny - I have been working on some kind of same project. Many visits to BC and special The Island has inspired me. I have chosen 1967-68. I have chosen this period because there was still a little logging operation going on with steam and diesel, but most had been converted to trucks. So my project will contain railway and trucks. I have 6 logging steam engines all brass models and a few diesels. Lot of Skeleton log cars. I have scratch build a Bull car as well except for trucks and kadee couplers. I have several Hayes HDX logging trucks and many scratch build trucks. I will make some kind of reload in the future and A-frame dump as well. In a few years I will retire so I get more time for my project.
That sound great ! I am restricted in space so my logging RR is a Narrow gauge one on 9 mm Track and a footprint of 3,5 X 3.5 ft.....the price you pay when moving from a 1600sqft house to a 500 sqft apartment in Berlin Germany....my locos are all diesels and kit bashed....they span various time frames so the logging equipment I build is spanning a wide range as well...I just change the equipment matching the locos...but onece I started building the loaders etc I was hooked and ordered some kits from www.clevercreekminiatures.ca . You should check Kevin's models out , they are fantastic. Best of all if you like one of his models that they make in N scale he will print it for you in HO...just give him a bit of time...Here is one engine based on an ARNOLD N scale drive...the other is a New Zealand prototype narrow gauge loco but I love her US character...
I have the same challenges with space. I live in a municipality close to Copenhagen and the prices are as high as in Berlin. However, I want to do the opposite - I want to move into a summer house and build my model track there. Cheaper and more space. I know Kevin and his models very well. I was lucky enough to meet him at Hayes' 100th anniversary in 2022 on Vancouver Island. I have bought several of his models and they are fine, however the cabs of the trucks are too small and wrong. As you can see from the pictures, I have cut up the model and will scratch build the cab and hood myself on this Hayes WHD. Hayes HDX models are Don Mills models.
Pics of my scratch build stationare log loader an donkey boiler
Some pics of one of my steam engines - a 2-6-6-2 with sadle tanks
My compliments ! Excellent models...skidder loader !!!.I found some discrapencies with his loader, especially with the California boom on the TL-6. I bought some extra booms and Grapples and started to build my own. I love the older ones, converted from Cable shovels and ofcourse the "home Spun " ones, build in some backward shop.I finally found a matching Tank chassie that is big enough for a TL-15 so I will be building one with the propper undercarriage, boom and cab on the right side... The snorkel one i build is a mix of a KIBRI Menck excavator a UB 80 cab Kevins canadian Boom a scratch build A Frame and a scratch build snorkel. I love your Saddle Tank mallet engine a logging classic ! since you are modifying your log Trucks you should chek out the Model Mechanic on Shapeways. He has Cabs, Chassies. Logging frames, bumpers and some interesting loaders and yarders. Worth a look ! https://www.shapeways.com/shops/modelmechanic love to stay in touch we might be able to help eachother out with info. Lets face it, I doubt there are many of us around that model logging equipment of the fifties, sixties and seventies.....
I admire and appreciate your dedication. It is also fun that a couple of guys across the big water are preserving things from the new country.
Thank you! Once I started researching this subject , it got a life of its own.....drew me in like a magnet. I downloaded a ton of pictures, so if you are in need of visual help with a topic, love to help if I can.
Many thanks and the same to your models - awsome work. I think we can PM in the future so we don't burden this fantastic forum with our hobby and the challenges we have since we are not on the site in Western US/Canada. If we have questions or information that we want, I know from very good experience that there is a panel of fantastic people in this Forum who want to help. I have visited BC many times and I have always been welcomed and made many friends. Canada is my second home country. Ref. TL-6 I will buy Kevin`s Canadian model - it looks awsome. I have a project with a cable shovel as well. Walthers offer an excacator with a nice undercarriage, but sorry for you it is in scale HO - 1/87. Unfortunately, I'm a bit of a perfectionist and that unfortunately presents some challenges. Many of the providers who make 3D models are not correct, so I still prefer to scratch build the models myself, but at some point in the future I will be overtaken by the technology. Yes my 2-6-6-2 mallet is one of my favorit as well. I got the same mallet configuration without saddle tanks but with a tender. It is not the same engine if you know what I mean. Keep in touch.
Thank you very much skyking1. When looking at your “logo” picture I just wonder - do you have and fly that P51 D? Thats one of my favorite airplanes beside P38 Lightning and P47 Thunderbolt but that is another story
It is not a P51, it is a 3/4 scale called the Thunder Mustang. That was taken at our local airport at a fly in one year. This is a good video of it. It explains a whole lot of the detail. The heart of it is a custom V12 engine; it sounds right. Most of my time is in the early Cessna 310C. Ours is a customized Riley Rocket with 4 turbochargers and extra fuel for high altitude photogrammetry. It is fast and fun to fly. I have flown several models of 310 and as usual, they kept getting heavier and also feeling more ponderous as the years went on. We called it model bloat. Early Bonanzas were like that too.
Thanks for sharing - and for sure that sound is superb. I have never heard of Thunder Mustang but she looks awsome. Re cessna 310 I dont think we have any in Denmark. She looks great
here is a Riley 65 that had Danish registration. Not looking to sharp in this photo. https://www.airhistory.net/photo/584999/OY-DRH Says there it was donated to Danmarks Flyvemuseum, but it is not listed as a project there so they scrapped it.
Thanks for sharing and very interesting but sad it was scapped.
Hi, sorry for my late response..my computer went on strike ! Well California was my home for 40 years...so actually my heart is still there! I am finishing up my TL-6 I will post a picture of it tomorrow. Love the model. tell me about the Waltheres Excavator model..I am working in HO just in 9mm gauge...witch is about 750 MM gauge in reality. Not a US prototype but it works for me. since you like exact model parts you reall should take a look at the model mechanic on Shapeways. Be well
My TL-6 is almost finished.... rigging is not that easy...now the grapple....
Looking awsome - I guess it is N-scale. Tell me about rigging - its not easy at all.
Oh I know the feeling even though I only worked less than 2 years in Northern BC. Here some pictures of excavator from Scene Master - sorry not Walthers. It is 4 cm wide. I have 2 - next I will build as a log loader.
Here is a carriage made in brass. Pretty expensive - I paid around 100 Eur just for the undercarriage. I have not decided what to at on top.
The KIBRI MENCK face Shovel...around EU 25 to 30 on E Bay.... I love the detail of the winch assembly..used it on other models with exposed winches...just closed the doors on the Menck. here is my conversion...a MENCK body and chassis....tracks from Shapeways....the Cab is from an UB 80 Excavator, I used 2 of them to create the raised version......The Boom is from Clever Creek...the A frame Shield and snorkel are scratch build. You should check out Shapeways ..the MODEL MECHANIC..he has some really great stuff... here are some pictures of the undercarriage I bought from them... No it is HO...
Yes it looks to be an Menck. Does Kibri and Scene Master have some kind of agrement. I know shapeways and bought some models. Interesting with the carriage - I have not seen that before. Thanks for sharing.
There are quite a few companies in the US that sell KIBRI models under their name. An other great model for conversion is the UB 80. It is an old GDR model still made and sold by ESPEWE. When buying the the model, the first thing to do is get rid of the horrible rigging ! I have the original manual ....And if you are interested, I have the contact to the manufacturer where you can order them un assembled or like I did with extra cabs...Used on other models...nhere is the original one I made in to a shovel loader...it does have Railings now...
Thanks for information. I might say go for your offer later. Right now I can’t figure out which logging loader I will build. But for sure I will order 1 or 2 of Kevins TL-6 (Canadian style)
They are fun models....great detail...just the window...they gave me a headache.....make sure the snorkel attachments and caps are 3mm...otherwise it does not look right ! and here is one just to mess with you a bit...interesting setup...not too many where build...but an interesting machine....
These SCISSOR BOOMS are addictive..... had to start my first one..the boom is coming along fine....