Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

snow packing up in the sprockets of a Cat 287C

Jobiss · 2022-12-10 21:15

Another question, hope I'm not abusing. Snow packs in the center of the sprockets and builds up tension in the tracks, which tends to get off the sprockets. I was thinking of adding a scrapper between the final drive and the sprocket. Do you have any advice for that? Thanks!

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2022-12-11 08:04

    Try posting a photo or two. Someone may be able to suggest something.

  2. #2Jobiss2022-12-11 12:49

    Ok. When it happens again I’ll do it. Thanks!

  3. #392U 34062022-12-11 15:27

    That's got that sprocket that looks like a cage doesn't it? I'm wondering if the snow is being thrown up into it as you drive, rather than sticking to the tracks and getting deposited into it. Perhaps a deflector or something would work better? Maybe have someone watch and see how the snow gets in there and then determine a plan to mitigate?

  4. #4Jobiss2022-12-12 21:00

    Yes the sprocket looks like a cage. We’re supposed to have a lot of snow friday so I should be able to figure it out or at least take photos. Thanks