What do you guys use when plowing snow with a backhoe Your front end loader or an actual directional plow blade . Show images if you can
I did snow removal for a lot of years, but only really used a backhoe for those occasions where the piles got too big and we had to haul it away. That having been said, I have on occasion used a backhoe to clear the streets in a plan we were working in, if the town wasn't getting it done. Doing it with the bucket, it's less than the ideal tool. For one thing, if you hit an obstruction, like a manhole or a valve box, the cutting edge will catch it, rather than tripping like a plow blade will do. I almost went through the windshield learning that lesson. For another, while a blade, when angled, will build a windrow on one side, leaving the other side clean, once you make a long enough pass, the bucket gets full and you end up with snow trailing off both sides. The best solution, in my humble opinion, is a pusher box.
Used a JD410G for some emergency snow removal to keep a client happy, I found the same thing digger found... when you catch something it will try to send you through the windshield after that I put the belt on and went a bit slower.
Depending on what you are cleaning. If just doing driveways you can get away with a regular or snow bucket. If you are doing large commercial lots you would defiantly want some sort of snow pusher.
We don't normally do this kind of thing so all we had was the front bucket to use, a pusher box like digger showed would have been nice in a few areas but since we were at the airport there wasn't much room to always push... did a lot of high stacking and dodging in and out of curb infested parking areas.
Plowed for over 30 years with pickup plows, but sold my last one in the late 90's when it quit snowing enough to make it profitable. With snow season returning in the last couple years, I have just stayed with the backhoe and SSL/CTL. For depths less than about 8" I use my normal loader bucket which is actually a grapple bucket. For deeper snows I use a wheel loader bucket as it's taller and prevents spillover. When doing long drives I hang to one side, then return on the other side. Depending on the depth and whether it is wet or dry snow, there may be some side spill that needs to be cleaned. But a third pass will pick it up easily. When doing large parking areas, I've found that 'slot dozing', by leaving a berm between passes, then cleaning them up at the end is quickest and moves the largest amount of snow.
This is what I use. Throw the quick hitch bucket on when I need to move snow.
I use my 410G at least a half dozen times a Winter for the larger storms,mostly to back up piles or to load out the snow.
I use and prefer a front end loader for snow. I run a Volvo L70 with snow tires and a drive in box blade. That way I can use my bucket if I need it. The box is only 12 feet, but any wider is too dangerous to drive around the city streets with. It's home made, so no trip cuttin edge, but I know my route pretty well, and just use caution plowing some where new. They have a New Holland LB110, and a 95 both with 10 foot Horst power angle box blades. They do the job, and once you get used to steering with the brakes, they handle pretty good, but once the wet heavy snow hits in March, they gotta work pretty hard. The boys will sometimes fold up the sides, and use them like an ordinary angle blade.
I preferred using the back blade on my l2500 kubota, but it was only 6' when my 580sk has a I think 86" 4 in 1 bucket it moves a ton more snow much faster without any issue of spinning even with the mostly bald back tires. I found opening up the bucket and back dragging with the front part of the bucket works good like a box blade and doesn't leave much tailings. And it'll push a lot just using the bucket closed too. It takes a bit of finnese, but can plow my driveway way faster with the backhoe. I'd like a nice power angle blade for snow though.
The best system that I have found for plowing with a loader or backhoe is the snowbucket that attaches to the regular bucket so that they can be changed easily.I try to scout the area that I will be plowing and stake out the curbs and islands etc before the ground freezes and also try to remember where any gotchas are before the first snow.Once you plow it for the first time you will form a berm to guide you in the future unless you have a major thaw.It is always nice to be able to plow the same plot each storm,as has been said getting a faceplant in the windshield is no fun.You can then drop the snowbucket on site if you need the loader somewhere else.When plowing a new tract for the developer you can count on there being raised structures in the streets because the last coat of pavement is generally not laid down until the end.It is some help if you did the water/sewer work yourself but you can't remember everything.Ron G
RonG, I would like to get one of those snow buckets that attaches to the regular bucket as you refer too, do you have a pic or the manufacturers name of yours? Thanks Jeff
It has been many years now since I have looked at one but as I remember they were designed to hook up by uncurling your bucket and driving into them similar to a skid steer attachment then curling in to secure it and then using ratchet binders and chains to hold it in place.Google them to get some ideas,I have seen some that were home made.Ron G
It also depends on how much snow and if you have room to store it. I lived in Haines, AK that gets an average of 35-40 feet of snow at sea level annually. The bucket worked best there because you cold crowd the pile at the end of the pass then stack up the snow. If not, after a few snow events, there was no more room for it.
I have been plowing with a 12ft box on a 416C for a few years. Works very well unless the snow is very deep or wet and heavy.
down here we use a contraption called "panier a neige" that we can transslate to snow basket i guess its the one rong talk about we just weld 2 hook on top of the original buket ( that u can see at the very left of the picture) and we can hook it / un hook it just by curling the bucket from inside the cab no need to go outside no need of a 3 rd valve backhoe for plowing is not the best, but it sure can get the job done i reffer the backhoe as a vise grip plier not relly desing to do anything but can do anything