Which is more versatile? Anyone use one the snowpushers? http://skidsteersolutions.us/media/categories/3439/gallery/Skid Steer Snow Pusher 1.jpg
Good timing on this thread!. I have been debating over this for a few weeks now on what to get. A snow bucket is just a standard bucket with a edge isn't it?. Snow pusher usually has a rubber part on the bottom of it so it won't scratch/damage the surface, also has the sides and sometimes a top to help push alot more snow in one pass.. Your also forgetting the Snow Blade/Dozer blade option
qty per storm In my area, we can get anywhere from 1' to 2' in a storm overnight. So I guess my question is which one would be the most versatile? I have a contractor buddy that wants to have one built, I offered my services to help him and me out.....pretty slow in construction these days....I think the bucket or the box will be the options that I can help him with....though I think the "dozer" conversion would be pretty handy.
They both have their place. I have a 10' snow pusher and as long as you can get the skid steer to hook up with some traction (I use a CASE 465 that weighs 9K) it is impressive. However in real heavy snow its hard to get a skid steer to hook up. Even with full chains, if your not carefull you can burn the chains off in a couple days. The large snow buckets are easier to scrape down to asphalt and of course allow you to be more precise in where you put the snow.
I guess the key word in what you are asking is "Versatile" ...... both, as KSSS says have their place, but to own both would be perfect ...... in my opinion would be having the right kind of bucket .... not too deep so you can load trucks .... what I find with all of the snow bucket manufacturers do ???? ... what are they thinking ?? ..... a buddy of mine bought one for his 1845c and that thing will lift like a b*****d but he can't keep the ass end on the ground, too much forward weight, the bucket has got to be over 3'deep ...... now if the bucket is wide and shallower and taller than the low-pro's, has the same volume as the narrow/deep snow bucket you would have a multi-purpose bucket for loading, scraping, back dragging top soil or what ever year round like I did.... I have such a bucket that I got with my first skid years ago, it is now so fatigued and worn out I'm looking to replace it (not worth fixing again) ..... I'll be damned if I can find out who built the old bucket, cause no one has one shaped and sized like the old thing I'm going to modify a 4 in 1 backhoe bucket .... found one 96" wide, tall and its 2'deep, will be picking it up this weekend .... torch the ears flush and fabricate the quik-tack on .......:beatsme ......:drinkup
does a track or wheeled machine work best for pushing snow ?
It would be nice to have both. I would think that a snow pusher would be faster because you do not have to dump the bucket and you should be able to stack snow higher.
A pusher doesn't stack too well. Dynamite for us has been two skids working together one with a plow and one with a pusher, they can clear a big lot very quickly.
What kind of plow do you use like a dozer blade or a V plow?
We run three skid loaders with plows (on subcontractor equipment) and they are all purpose built for skid loaders with angling and the quick tach plate. One of them has a stainless blade. One of the guys tried to run converted truck plows but they just aren't strong enough. It was OK as long as he ran the machine himself, as soon as he put someone else in the seat the plow was broken.
Scoop Plow! Fordman, Before you buy anything look into a Hiniker scoop plow! During the winter I have one on the front of a Gehl 5240. It does an amazing job. It's rugged and versitile, and I haven't broken anything on it yet! I've never had anything that moves as much snow at once as that thing does. As to your question tracks or wheels, definately wheels in the snow. The physics show you get a lot more psi on the ground with tires vs. tracks. I own both track and wheels and agree with this logic 100%. :usa
I converted a fisher 9' plow, welded on plates to the sides, added the support bars, installed rubber trip edge, and mounted the lower plow frame with the pins in the bucket. It is secured with ratchet binders, and all I have to do is, undo the binders, unlock the pins and back out so I can use the loader. Mine is mounted to a JD 310 backhoe. Sorry no pics right now, will post later.
i am all anout snow buckets. you can load trucks,load the sander and move and stack snow. cut pack- to a degree. snow pushers do have their place though
How would this blade work for ye. i use it on my compact loader,might work just as good on a skidsteer its 10' wide and works well to scrape snow back from walls and doorways when the blade is flipped over. BTW its indestructable
the blade will work fine. it just depends how much snow you have to move and how far. if you are on a tight budget and already own that, well there you go. it just depends on what you have to do. i runa 12 foot bull plow on my loader, 2 s300 skids and a muni plow truck.
that's a nice set-up you got there bison, thanks for posting
thanks,it works very good. But its to friggin cold, plowing snow on that open operator platform in winter ..brrr..
I have seen some awful big and nice snow blowers out there too!!
I saw this on another site, don't know a thing about it other than it looks like a farmer has lotsa time on his hands.
I plowed for three years with a 10' Western plow that could angle on a skid steer. I had thought about putting wings on but had a couple places I could get into with wings. I put rubber belting on the ends to help cut down the trail off. The worse part of a bucket is stopping to dump it out all the time. This year a bought a Viring 10' it goes from an A to basket and any where in between. I believe it is going to work better as you can put down pressure on the blade. Have quite a few places that you have to back drag or push it out and then back drag, so the down pressure helps alot. You can move a lot of snow with a skid steer, most of my places are either next to each other or a block away. So very little travel time.
I have never used a snow bucket but I have a 10' Artic snow push on a Case 465 and can't believe how much more snow I can move with that compared to my backhoe. It is faster not having to chase the trails from the ends of the bucket it is also split up into 3 sections mounted on rubber that way if you hit something you don't eat glass. It is the best I've found but only been pushing snow for 2 years.
Any issues with the tires getting traction on a 10' pusher? I would imagine that the pusher is pretty heavy if it has 3 different sections that break away. I have a FFC pusher that really holds too much snow. Hard to push in some conditions even with full chains on a 465.
There are times when traction is an issue but for the most part not a problem. I clean the main street of a small town with it so there is usually salt and sand on the road. I don' even have chains on the machine and the only time I have trouble is when I have to stop a run and try to get it going again because of someone in a car getting in my way I just have to back up and get a run at it and it usually gets going.