Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Snow Removal Pricing

KMSEXC ยท 2007-12-16 19:56

Hey fellow snow contractors , How do you bid on snow contracts , By the inch per storm, or by the year or by the sqaure foot, and also how do you bid side walks, Thanks KMS Ps I think Im working to cheap, Im spreading salt sand mix at a 100 dollars per ton

Replies14
  1. #1salopez2007-12-16 20:04

    I think it is very regional... Here in MD most people want you to bid T and M. That said, I hope you are laying ton after ton of salt for those prices...

  2. #2KMSEXC2007-12-16 20:09

    material pricing we are paying 20 dollars per ton picked up for sand , And 80 dollars picked up for salt and am mixing it at 1 to 4 so its around 900 hundred dollars for 25 tons IM also in CT different weather conditions

  3. #3zlssefi2007-12-17 06:48

    pricing I do all my work hourly, per machine per hour, per truck per hour. But then shoveling, sidewalk de icing and sanding is all per service. Right now if i run 2 tons of sand salt mix through the spreader im getting 450.

  4. #4KMSEXC2007-12-17 18:13

    Where you from so i can compared states , thats nice to know I was getting only 80 per ton went up to 100 per ton I think there getting away with a bargin I have two loaders and two trucks running and it seem like im only making a pay check

  5. #5wethead2007-12-17 18:31

    I am from Rochester NY, and most of us up here do T & M like the others said, Although you do have the cheapskates that always want everything to cheap as well. But yea, Up here its all T & M Hope that helps Oh ps , we just got 20" of snow in the last three days

  6. #6KMSEXC2007-12-17 18:45

    Thanks for the info but i need more to make my case , only because i hate to work for a pay check especially with the price of fuel and it ain't fun going out at 2 AM in freezing snowy weather

  7. #7wethead2007-12-17 18:48

    When you say "make your case" Do you mean you need to create a model or an actual proposal? If so let me know, I think I could help more.

  8. #8KMSEXC2007-12-17 18:57

    All I'm looking for is a model i don't want to price myself out of a job , some of my contractor Buddies are getting 300 per two tons of salt sand , I cant believe he is getting that price but since i bought my sand and salt it cost me 78 dollars per ton on salt and 20 per ton for sand I'm beginning to wonder that 100 is to cheap I want to be fair but get what i should be getting

  9. #9wethead2007-12-17 19:00

    I do see your points and also agree , you need to make more then just "peanuts" for all that work. The ultimate way to get a price or at least for me , is to figure your costs and then figure your time. Then add your "this will make me happy" markup and then go from there. Your not going to win every bid , BUT the ones you do will make you smile. Another thing is if you are doing commercial lots etc, get to know the property managers

  10. #10KMSEXC2007-12-17 19:05

    Thank you for your Knowledge much appreciated

  11. #11wethead2007-12-17 19:07

    No Problem, I have this buddy that does about 2.5 million in snow removal here in Rochester and he wins most bids and gets a decent price, But his trick is like I was saying above, He worships the property managers......

  12. #12KMSEXC2007-12-17 19:10

    Thats the Key I guess , I lost a contract to a manager last month , I have to learn how to worship

  13. #13wethead2007-12-17 19:15

    Worship explained Total contract = xxxxx.xx Your cut = xx% There cut = x% Equals = worship and the bid accepted Know remember, I personally don't do commercial stuff, but my buddy does this and works for him, and he has way more money then me

  14. #14KMSEXC2007-12-17 19:36

    Ha Ha I like that one