Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Snow tires

cuttin edge ยท 2014-11-26 21:23

So that time has come again for us in the snowy parts of the world. The summer construction season has ended, and every ones snow plows are ready for action. I work for a paving company as a grader man in the summer. We have not had any plowing contracts for the grader in a long time, so I take a loader with a box blade. For the last 5 winters my employers have put snow tires on all 8 of their loaders. A huge expense, but what a difference a soft tire makes. Better traction, and breaking. What are your thoughts. It is most noticeable on larger loaders like 966s 972s and 150 Volvos. No slippage at all.

Replies7
  1. #1overworked2014-11-26 21:32

    I never new there were snow tires for otr machines, can you get them studded also? Are they more of a closed pattern, I must go search, what brand names?

  2. #2cuttin edge2014-11-27 01:58

    I would have to look at the brands, I will be headed out to plow in about half an hour. I do know that some of the L90 Volvos are running Michelin tires, and some are recaps. The Michelin tires have the holes for studs, but none of ours are, They are a closed tread with those little saw cuts like the passenger tires have. They are also a soft rubber, and need to be removed in the warmer weather, but the traction is unreal

  3. #3ValleyFirewood2014-11-27 04:48

    Always just chained up the tires if extra traction was needed. Much much cheaper than new tires! Heck you could buy chains for a small fleet of FELs for the cost of just ONE tire. We put A tire on the 988 where I used to work and it was about $10,000. A 966 sold at the last auction here for $100k. It was all burnt up but had almost brand new tires on it. The guy said it was worth it just for the tires and a few parts.

  4. #4cuttin edge2014-11-27 15:44

    True, chains are cheaper, but they are not allowed here on the streets. The L70 Volvo I plow with runs down the road almost 50 kms, and I am not sure how chains would fair at that speed. Our engineer claims that the tires have paid for themselves in 3 winters. Extra traction, extra speed, one loader can handle more plowing. The Walmart here is a half a million dollar contract over 3 years, and can be plowed by one 950G with a 14 foot box blade in about 3 hours per average 6 inch storm. It used to take a grader with a wing, and a 966 with regular tires and a bucket about 4 hours for the same storm.

  5. #5alaskaforby42014-11-27 15:58

    Those were nice tires! I tried to get a set of chains for my loader at some booth at the state fair, they wanted 4 grand for a set I found a slightly used pair for $300, much better :thumbsup

  6. #6CaptainAnalyzer2014-11-28 10:10

    What region are you guys working in?

  7. #7cuttin edge2014-12-01 21:32

    I am in New Brunswick Canada