Hey everyone. Winter has arrived in the prairies and last night I had the opportunity to test my Mustang 2054 skid-steer in the snow. I plowed my driveway and had very little traction on my worn out tires. I’m looking for a low budget solution. Will a new set of tires improve my snow traction? What is a good inexpensive place for wheels/tires? The old tires are McLaren Nuair. Would I be able to grove out some tread? If so, would that help with snow traction? I considered tire chains but my concern is that they will scuff up concrete or asphalt driveway/road. Is this a valid concern?
Chains can scratch pavement if you really spin. There are some tires available that work better in snow and ice. They look like an all season pickup tire.
Yes, I don't think chains are the best option for me. What is a good place for new tire/wheel combo?
We have good luck with regular air filled tires. Our almost worn out tires plow almost as well as a new set. We have had solids in years past that were just too hard to grip. We usually air down the tires in the winter for better traction on the white stuff.
http://www.tirechainsrequired.com/skid-steer-chains.html you only need one set , run them on the rear tires. I have got great service and priceing from these guy , fast shipping also
:my2cI would definately consider just a regular air filled tire. those "Never Flat" tires are way too hard and dont have the flex ( in the face) needed to get traction.
Chain it up. I run chains on back of my S185's all winter. They don't tear up the pavement unless you just sit there and spin. Buy new tires in the spring.