Anyone know if my Case backhoe with the FFC quick attach front can be equipped with a power angle plow? This would be great for me.
I've seen power-angle blades on Case hoes, used for snow plowing of course. Not sure if they were or are commercially available, may have been home-made from a setup off a pickup or small truck. Check some of the snow-plow manufacturers on-line, or your local Case dealer.
Duke i noticed that you have the reg loader control and no out front aux hydro .for the power angle you would need that unless you have them put another valve in for it. very costly to do after the fact , you could put a seperate system inside the machine but that is a pain having to run hoses and have that hydro unit inside the cab.
Why not just get a snow pusher?
I am interested in a plow like youare saying, a pusher wouldnt work for us becasue it would need to angle.I found this site: http://www.phoenixequipmentsales.com/snow_plows/snow_plows.htm About mid way down is a plow on a cat hoe that is what I believe you are looking for. Keep us posted!
And when you talk to him, tell Joe where you found out about him. I've tried to get him to join us, since he knows a lot about this business...
I think Case can hook up an additional button on the joystick and run the lines for 2-3 grand last time I asked. This would be a cheaper alternative than buying a farm tractor with a cab & plow. I don't want a plow on my pickup.
They would probably have to put the new valve below and change the control. definatly nicer to plow in that .
Thanks, I emailed them to see what they can do.
No prob, let me know how you make out, I would like to get something like it for our new 410-G.
Duke , i have plowed for years with Case equipment . Both with push boxes and power angle plows. Yes , FFC makes a 11' power angle plow that will quick attach to your FFC quick coupler on your 580/590. I am surprised that your machine didnt come with a third valve for the front. But the last third valve we had put on a 580 was $1400. including new joy stick and plumbed to the front. Good luck , doug
That's great news. I wonder if they make a smaller 9' version. I honestly just wanted it for a couple of customers with long farm driveways. Nothing serious or commercial.
Here it is! FFC snowplow. Looks great! Thanks to all! http://www.ffcattachments.com/products_details.asp?Product_Id=730 http://www.ffcattachments.com/_incl...=product&ext=pdf&name=F-Snow Blade 0608-1.pdf
If I where you I would put a plow on your dump truck. Since its 4x4 already. (defently be a killer plow truck being 4x4) If you bought it used, it probably already has the plumbing on it for a plow. As most 4800s are used to plow or are bucket trucks.
If you were me, you wouldn't want a plow on the 4800, believe me. :bash I have no desire to plow with my trucks anymore. I owned a commercial plowing business for 10 years. I had big clients like AIG insurance, Sovereign Bank to name a few. I plowed their corporate centers with big dumps, backhoes, etc.. No desire to go back into that business. The 4800 has no plumbing for a plow. The only thing it would be good at is plowing giant parking lots and everyone knows a backhoe with a 12' snowbox will plow those much better than a dumptruck anyway. I want the plow on the backhoe b/c I want to do a couple private farm driveways and clear some driveways of houses I'm building.
Can you just put a one-way blade on?
I'm too old for a 1-way plow. Seriously, I've found buying the basic, manual equipment just doesn't pay in the long run. The driveways I'll be doing are going to require snow be moved from one side to the other. I want it to be easy.
We have several subs who plow with ex PENNDOT trucks. They plow amazingly well. Myself and SALOPEZ are looking for a 4800 to plow with. Or an oshgosh for when the big one hits. It almost sounds like you need a V plow if your doing long driveways. I would also pick up an old V plow and put a coupler on that too, in case it gets really deep.
Ohhhh I didn't know you were doing driveways. I thought it was streets. I'm with you on the power angle plows they are the best. A guy who I use to rent him and his machine from has a 580M with a quick coupler and he has a power angle on his. He bought a blank attachment plate and had a power angle plow welded to it. He also got the third valve attachment which is something your missing? Another way to hook it up is electric. Just an idea.
I'll either buy a P/A plow for the CASE and install the plumbing, or I'm gonna buy a 50HP 4x4 utility tractor and put a plow on it, because I need a util tractor for york raking and bushogging, too. My 4800 is for sale for the right price. It's not everyday you find a 4800 in perfect condition, with only 75,000 mi, 250HP (most are 210), a 7 speed w/ OD (most are 5 speed no O/D) a 12' dump (most have a digger derrick), and Alcoas with 385 floats and 12/22.5 rubber (most are 11/22.5). :drinkup Oshkosh's are worthless for what you want to do. They're great for plowing an airplane runway, but they can't make any money during the rest of the year because most are useless as a dump truck. I actually use mine exclusively as a dumptruck. It's just like a 4x2 dump, but has that front axle to bail me out of all kinds of BAD situations.
Duke, your machine didnt come with any plumbing to the front loader bucket? If you crawl under your machine you will see a bank of valve bodies for the front loader. You might have the third valve body there just not plumbed up , that you can use for the plow angle motion. I dont know if FFC makes a 9 footer for the 580. I also have a 10' FFC on our Case skidsteer. They are light and have taken plenty of abuse from us for years. Good luck , doug
The guy who subs for me with his backhoe has a 10 ft fisher municipal plow and he hasn't broken it once.
No thanks. Its a stick. If it was auto I would be all over it. Been there and done that with plowing with a stick. If I where doing roads it would be ok. But not parking lots. All the ex PENNDOT trucks that plow for use are autos. Not to be a ****. But you don't have a clue in what I want to do with it. Oshgosh are good for plowing snow in any application. Thats what they are designed to do excusively. I don't need it for anything else. I didn't say I wanted to make it a dump truck. About 75% of oshgoshs have V box spreader on them or a whole lot of concrete on the back. If i ended up with a 4800, yea then I would used it as a dump truck. I want an oshgosh for when the big one hits and you got 36" of snow on the ground. There isn't a singe pickup truck in the world that could break lots with 36" on the ground. But a oshgosh with a V and dual wings will. Heck even a Straight blade and a single wing will walk right threw. Thats when you make a killing because your the only guy in town who can move it. Having an old oshgosh or even a walters snow fighter is the cheapest insurance plan you can have when your in the snow business.
The problem with keeping an oshkosh around "for when the big one hits" is that the big one only hits about once every 15-20 years where you (and I) live. All the other times when you have no snow you'll be paying to register & insure a truck that won't get used and there's nothing worse on equipment than having it sit for long periods. That's why a year round piece of equipment is better, and it'll make you more money. Even the transfer case seals will dry out after sitting for just a few months. Then you go to start using the truck real hard in a blizzard and oil starts blowing out of the transfer case. Then you have a big impressive 4x4 that can't even get out of your driveway. They have a football field size turning radius, too...not so great in a parking lot with light poles & curbing. We had a horrible blizzard in '97 and got 34" of snow. Back then, one of my bigger trucks was a IH-1700 4x4 dump with a heavyweight 11' plow and a Torwel V-box spreader. It was no more useful than my Ford 555 4x4 backhoe for clearing snow in the corporate center parking lots. Since you don't have any experience driving a big 4x4 w/plow in super heavy show & ice, I can tell you'll be disappointed in your investment of an Osh Kosh 4x4 because they're useless for anything other than a once-in-20-year blizzard. Those trucks are made for where it snows hundreds of inches per year (Syracuse, Buffalo, airports, county roads, etc.)-THAT's where they can actually make you money. I'm just trying to save you some money speaking from the experience of clearing 10 acres of corporate center snow removal at a time, but do whatever you want. Even on big back country roads all the townships around here & PENNDOT abandoned those types of trucks because they just sit & rust. We ended up using my backhoe and a medium sized John Deere front end loader to get everything open at the entrances. Then use the trucks to clean off the rest and haul out loads of snow when it gets piled too high. When the "big one" hits, almost all retail, banking & corporate closes while the snow gets removed, it ain't like you're plowing the CIA's parking lot anyway. I'm probably older & more experienced than you and I'm just trying to give you some advice & save you some money. I've seen what works and what doesn't 100's of times.
I have to agree why spend money on a machine you only hope to use in a season where you could buy a used backhoe for the same price and use it year round? That doesn't make any sence business wise. Anyway back to the thread a 10 - 12' blade would be great on that machine we had a 12 footer on our 416 for doing lots around town and did wonders around tight spots and back dragging most guys "claim" can only be done with skid steers.Since your doing country driveways one swipe up turn around and switch angle and drive down would be just as good as an V plow on the market since most guys who own one in truth don't really need it.
Duke how much are you looking for your 4800? I will be in the market in the spring for another truck....
Not trying to be a wise guy, but it's gonna be a lot. I'm not actively selling it, but if someone wants to buy it for the right price, I'd probably sell it.:beatsme Most guys who only have experience with pickups or little F-350 dumps, etc. just have no idea of the cost of a 4x4 dumptruck that'll do what this truck can do. So when I tell them what I would want for it, they get all offended and act like I'm crazy. Try to look at it this way. If you built my truck new and put a 12' dump on it, it would cost ~$110,000. I know, I priced one from 3 local IH dealers. This truck ain't no Rube Goldberg.
That's what I think, too. You leave a truck like my 4800 sit for 4-6 months and you're looking for problems. Leave it set for 1 year and it'l be all screwed-up. Moisture in the fuel, leaking gaskets, dead batteries, rust underneath, etc. I assume the guy who wants an Osh Kosh for when "the big one hits", must know these trucks cost a small fortune to own/operate, but they cost more if they just sit b/c they lose money and they self destruct. Anyways, yeah, I like the idea of a 10' power angle plow. Especially since I have the FFC Q/A on the front end. Might be nice to click on the plow, clear the driveways, then click on the bucket & do some stacking & dumping. Must be awesome with a 12' power angle, that thing would be a lot clearing machine! Thanks for all who helped! :drinkup It gives me another option! :drinkup
The 416 was an IT model so we had the 12 footer and a snow bucket add those 2 combined in commercial situations with Q/A and it was the best all around machine I could use. The Osh Kosh most likely would be the same pushing power as a 950/966 size loader I'd assume and since so many guys already have those size machines laying around in snow country pricing out a large truck like that would be tough since that truck would be used for snow only and justifying the cost of buying and operating the truck would be hard as any pit operator would have his loader bought and paid for by summer work so profit means nothing in winter and if they are anything like guys around here its to just keep their guys busy. Forks,10 foot blade and bucket all Q/A sounds like a sweet machine to me.
Duke, I can't remember, was your QC hydraulic or manual? Blake WA
There is a guy who has a 1985ish Oshgosh with a 12' two way that lives about 10 miles south of me. Its his insurance policy. The blizzard of 03, he payed for the truck in that storm (made like $30k with it in a couple of days). Both working for private and then the state. He needed a tax write off and a new play too. You can't write off a corvette, but not everyone has an oshgosh. Its basically what I want to do to. Yea he hasn't used it since 05 for our little 24" storm. But its sitting, waitting for when mother nature is back and pissed off. I grew up in boston and chicago, I plowed in the blizzard of 1996. I got to ride in an oshgosh plow truck during that storm also. I know what they can do. I am not planning on clearing a lot curb to curb. Just to break it open. Cleaning up is the job for the loaders. Its not like its going out on everystorm. Unless one of the other single axels go down. OH wow 10 acres. Somebody call out the troops, Lets see Mall of columbia 48 acres, Gateway shopping center 35 acres, fredrick scott key mall 51 acres. SAlopez and I plow those lots with plenty of protechs snow pusher, loaders, backhoes, farm tractors, skids, single axels and pickups. So I really have a justifable excuss for needing a big 4x4 insurance policy. We also are thinking about getting a few hiflow blowers with truck chutes for the bobcats. Umm we are not allowed to let the mall of columbia close for any reason no matter how bad its snowing. Its in our contract. Each parking space is worth about $1000 an hour to them during the christmas shopping season.
It was just a guess. Judging by the small size equipment you have and the age I assumed you were, I figured you were doing driveways. Didn't know you were a mall & corp center snow removal company like me. The 10 acre lot I spoke of was just one of 40 different commercial customers. Anyway, good luck with your oshgosh (or Oshkosh that's what we call them). I was just trying to help you, but I see you've got it all figured out. ointhead Thanks for all those who helped! The "oshgosh" sidetrack to the thread was entertaining, too!
keep me out of this...i was just trying to spend more money. dont care what people plow or plow with thats their business....
Amen Bro:thumbsup
Now where were we................
Now that's what I'm talking about! :drinkup I wonder if when you have a 11-12' plow on there it puts a lot of bending stress on the loader arms?
Not to stir the pot...well, maybe just a little. :stirthepot If they've got it figured out what each space is worth per hour, why haven't they figured out that if it gets that bad, people aren't going to be able to get to the mall?
One would think that! However the people in Columbia shop when the weather gets bad...they just walk to the mall, or drive till they can't drive further.. its kind of sad but it works for me....
Probably no more than the 7' dirt bucket digging into a bank. If you hit something real hard the plow will trip itself or collapse the ram. I have never noticed any dangerous pressure on the loader arms. doug
The mall I service for snow is the same way. They only give up a few spots for me to park equipment in and the rest of the snow gets hauled away. I have a 3 inch minimum and they want it plowed if we get a dusting, not sanded. I get a check from them every two weeks never had a complaint on a bill or on the service.
The issue with the mall in Columbia is it only snows an average of 20" per year in the DC metro/N. Virginia area and rarely, if ever, on Christmas, but it still needs to be removed. My sister & her family live in Fairfax near the Fiar Oaks Mall and they've had winters with little snow. I really can't see how you guys can stay in biz plowing snow unless the equipment can be used year 'round. OK thanks, Doug. I'm running the 8' GP bucket and the machine handles it with ease.
I live for the winter. I have a vast knowage of snow plows. As I also in the winter time work for a Western snow plow dealer. I have put plows on International 4300 to ford rangers. I started out with driveways when I was 12 with a JD 214 garden tractor. When I was 13 I got to cut my teeth running a Cat 988 and a JD410. Been hooked ever since. Did driveways for a while, then got back into parking lots as a sub. Now I am the contractor for the lots. Yes we don't get a lot of snow around here. But there is so much blacktop and sidewalk out around here. You can keep busy for a while. We spread an insane about of salt every storm too. Around at least 100 tons per storm. Usually more.
Attaguy. I wish I had "vast knowledge" like you. I've been in business for over 20 years and in mid early 40's learn new things every week.
I think it's safe to say that you both have extensive experience in snow removal, and perhaps use different methods to do it. Unless you are planning to discuss the differences as a learning experience instead of criticizing, then the discussion should end here. Thanks.
I think the concept of having downpressure with the blade on a backhoe makes it a superior alternative to trucks and lighter equipment with frame mounted plows, too.
With down pressure you can peel up hard packed snow, and really bare up pavement with that sloppy greasy crap too.
I'm likin that idea b/c we wind-up with that kind of slop a lot. :drinkup Thing is, I need a 50HP cab CUT to pull a york rake and a bush hog, so now I have to decide which piece will get the plow, the Case backhoe or the future cab CUT.
Duke , the solid connection of the FFC snowplow is a good thing for backdraging with down pressure. But some times the solid connection is a pain in the butt. You definetly have to be on the stick all the time making sure you dont raise the plow off the pavement and also make sure your not lifting the front tires of the hoe off the ground when you give it to much downpressure. You definetly wear cutting edges faster than a chain hung plow , and i would venture to say your steering and traction is generally better with a chain hung plow. doug
Yeah....must suck when you see sheets of pavement rolling up over the moldboard from too much downpressure!!! DOH!!!! Thanks, Doug, you've been a big help! :drinkup