Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

66 or 67 Case 530CK Question.

JeffG ยท 2007-06-30 17:43

Hi, My g/f's dad has a '66 or '67 Case 530 backhoe, What diesel engine did this 'hoe come with? It ran great two years ago,but then it sat over the winter and in the spring it would only start on ether. Also their is fuel up to the injection pump,but no coming out of the lines to the injectors, Could the injection pump of went in it? Thanks

Replies22
  1. #1RonG2007-07-01 07:23

    I am pretty sure that even back then Case was collaborating with Cummins to develop an engine for their equipment and that might be a good place to start looking for clues.It is no accident that Case has used the Cummins power for so many years.I worked for Lane at their plant and quarry in Hamden in the early '60s and the Case backhoe we had used what appeared to me to be a Cummins engine.I distinctly remember it because I was impressed at how well it ran and how good it was on fuel.My enterprising mind at that time was thinking of other applications that would benefit from this little powerhouse because it was small and so well behaved.Ron G

  2. #2Countryboy2007-07-01 20:33

    Welcome to HEF JeffG! :drinkup

  3. #3JeffG2007-07-01 21:16

    Thanks for the Welcome. Whear would I look on the engine or backhoe to see what kind of engine is in it?

  4. #4Dustin Mason2007-07-10 01:20

    Case 530 Oh, the Case 530, that 'hoe has a Case designed and built 188 cubic inch engine. The serial number tag for the engine should be located on the right front lower side of the block near the oil filter, if memory serves correct. It will be a stamped sheet metal tag. As far as the injection problem it is hard to diagnose over the 'puter, but that engine has a common Stanadyne Roosa-Master rotary injection pump, that every diesel shop in the country should be familiar with. Let us know what you find, I have a soft spot for 530's and I am interested in its outcome. Dustin

  5. #5Countryboy2007-07-10 01:22

    Welcome to HEF Dustin Mason! :drinkup

  6. #6Dustin Mason2007-07-10 01:30

    Thanks, Country Boy. I am a little embarrassed, I have been haunting some of the Ag forums for 10 years now, and lately was looking something up for my 'ol worn out backhoe and stumbled across this mighty fine forum, reckon I'll hang around. Dustin

  7. #7rutwad2007-08-12 13:06

    My father has a late 1960's Case 530 also. It still runs great, but has it's fair share of leaking cylinders. Does anyone know any specs. on this 'hoe. I've searched before and haven't baan able to come up with anything. Thanks

  8. #8wrenchbender2007-08-12 16:34

    :usa Welcome to HEF rutwad, I ain't gonna be much help on the specs of your machine. But there are a lot of folks here that can offer good sound info on it. BTW how did ya come by that screen name? A lot of folks around home call me Rut.

  9. #9Countryboy2007-08-12 20:11

    Welcome to HEF rutwad! :drinkup Well you know you have to tell us the story now....:cool2

  10. #10wrenchbender2007-08-12 21:39

    Well CB, it's a real short story Rut is the first three letters of my last name. I wish it was more exciting but that's all there is to it. I just thought that maybe rutwad might be one of my long lost cuzzins or sumpin. Seeing as how he's from Alabama ya see I got kin in Fanning Co.Ga.,Duct town/CopperHill Tnn., Al. SC but ain't never met most of them.

  11. #11Countryboy2007-08-12 21:48

    I heard that I did. I had a little more colorful story come to mind. We use to have a guy, keyword: use to, that ran a truck into a huge "rut" and he picked up that same name. Ok, it was more of a old creek bottom.....but hey, who am I to be handing out nicknames.

  12. #12hawgs12009-10-17 19:21

    1967 530ck ron, i am new to this site. I have no idea if this is the right way to do this. I have a 1967 530ck. It died yesterday for some reason. I drained the tank and added fresh diesel. It will start after several tries, and run for a short time only then die. Then it takes several tries to get it started again, and it runs and dies. Sounds like it is not getting diesel. Can you advise me of anything. Thanks. Steve.

  13. #13Phil2009-10-17 22:39

    Hawg, Welcome to the forum . Nothing wrong with bringing up an old thread. Sounds like your diesel engine may not have run out of fuel in the tank. It sounds like a restricted supply in any case. Since it's gravity feed, I would check for fuel flow, at the supply line going to the injection pump, from the secondary fuel filter. It should pour out slowly, not just drip. Might be clogged filters or debris in the tank clogging the fuel intake. Phil

  14. #14hawgs12009-10-18 13:29

    Phil i drained the line at the fuel injection pump and the diesel came out just fine. A nice steady flow. So you think it could be the filter, or worse, the pump?

  15. #15Phil2009-10-18 19:45

    Hawg, It's always a good idea to check that your pump manual shut-off lever is in the correct position for running. Next try disconnecting the small return line from the injection pump, it's at the top. Run your engine and see if it makes any difference. Fuel should come out the 90 degree fitting that the return line was attached to, if the engine succeeds in running for a few seconds. If that makes no difference after several tries, take the fitting out of the pump cover and see if you can blow through it with some compressed air. Phil

  16. #16hawgs12009-10-18 21:27

    Thanks man. I will try that.

  17. #17case owner 12009-10-20 10:58

    roosamaster fuel problem to hawg1 on th e top of the pump is a fuel return line , under the connection to the pump is a check valve, I have had this same problem and thourly cleaning this check valve does the trick. Buildup around the spring causes the little glass ball check not to open. good luck.

  18. #18hawgs12009-10-25 13:27

    Well guys i have tried everything you said. Nothing yet. It starts with ether and actually ran for about a minute at one time. I keep thinking the fuel is dirty because of how much crud i cleaned out. The crud is out now. Could the injectors need cleaned. I ask because i don't know. I used some injector cleaner in the tank, but it won't run long enough. Could it be the pump? Well, it ain't going anywhere. Thanks yall.

  19. #19Phil2009-10-26 18:49

    Hawg, Your 2 fuel filters should protect the pump from crud, except for water. I'm not sure if a 530 has a sump on the fuel tank but a 580CK and 580BCK do. These sumps have a drain in the bottom and should be checked occasionally for water, same with the drains on the fuel filters. If your engine ran for a full minute, I still wonder about your fuel supply. What did you find when you removed the special 90 deg on the top of the injection pump cover? Was the relief valve functioning? These pumps have a coupling inside that deteriorates, often plugging this valve. There is a fine screen in your pump inlet assembly, I guess checking that should be next. Be very careful of any dirt entering the pump when you remove it(14) and the o-ring(15) may leak after reinstalling, if not replaced. Do you normally have to use ether to start your engine? Question 4: Doesn't hurt to check your air breather element, is it okay? Phil

  20. #20hawgs12009-10-27 11:57

    Thanks phil, it is raining and i can't work on it today. I will let you know. Thanks.

  21. #21rutwad2010-06-24 08:42

    Reviving an old post, but my father's Case 530 is difficult to start, but runs fine. Someone said the injector pump may be bad. That's alot of money to spend on something that "may be bad". Does this sound accurate, or is there something else I should check? Rut, no relation to my screen name for me. Just something for forum use.

  22. #22Phil2010-06-24 22:28

    Re hard starting, there are many things to check. Some 'cumulate' to produce a problem. Some basic checks include good fuel supply to the injection pump, and flow out of the pump back to the tank when running. Adequate cranking speed, and air supply to the engine. A timing check is next, followed by a compression check, along with injector testing. The injection pump, I think, should be one of the last components to check. Sometimes injectors can be removed and turned over, then reattached to verify that they are working well during the cranking cycle. They should puff like an inhaler, not squirt. As always, work safely and use protective equipment when testing injectors by whatever means. Phil