Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Snowplow hydraulic flow restrictor

Columbo · 2024-01-15 15:06

Hi all, I have a quick attach snowplow that I run on a utility tractor. When I actuate the hydraulic angle circuit the plow angles much too fast. I’d like to put in a flow restrictor to try to slow down the angle speed. (The function that runs the plow angle is an on/off electrically operated valve so there is no way to modulate it through the valve). The plow also has a crossover relief valve to protect the plow. I assume that to preserve this function the relief the flow restrictors should be added to the tractor side of the crossover valve? Should I add two restrictors, one to each line as it has two way hydraulic flow? Or just one?

Replies4
  1. #1Steve Frazier2024-01-15 21:05

    I have a snowplow on my skid steer and experienced the same problem. I've got flow restrictors on both hoses to overcome it, though I have two cylinders.

  2. #2Columbo2024-01-16 09:18

    Thank you! Do you recall what size you used?

  3. #3Steve Frazier2024-01-16 22:30

    I'll try to remember to look tomorrow and report back

  4. #4Welder Dave2024-01-31 23:45

    Years ago a Bobcat dealer here made their own buckets and angle snow blades. Their blades used a single cylinder. They said the blade should be angled all the way against the stops to avoid damaging the cylinder. The cushion/lock valve on your blade is to keep the plow in the position it's adjusted. It shouldn't matter how much flow because you don't normally adjust it a lot in general snow clearing. Might be better to put the flow restrictors before the cushion/lock valve. I'd still be careful pushing in unfamiliar area's or where there could be hidden obstacles by having the blade fully angled. Twin cylinder angling is a heavier duty design but single is fine if the operator is careful and doesn't just go full speed ahead all the time. It's good to check out the area's you're going to clear before the snow comes. Then you can make note of obstacles.