Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Snowplows for pickups, Opinions Wanted

Dirt Poor ยท 2009-12-16 14:25

The fella down the road has hired me to blow snow for him in spite of the fact he has a 2007 Dodge 1 ton and a 2007 8' Air flow SS plow setup. He don't care to do it himself and he really has no where to push it to,he has a circular drive that I can blow snow into the middle. Anywho, he wants to sell the plow and it might work for me on my Ford F350. In my area we have a choice of Boss or Fischer. Never heard of an Airflow, Whats the good and bad, ? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks , Gary

Replies13
  1. #1Copenhagen2009-12-16 15:30

    Here is everything you need to know: http://letstalksnow.com/forums/

  2. #2tuney4432009-12-17 09:54

    Or Plow site.Personally,over the last 35 years of plowing with all the major makes of plows,I love my 9-2 Boss V-plow the best.In the 9 years I've had it,no problems at all,just regular PM.

  3. #395zIV2009-12-17 10:59

    :roll:roll And another comedian

  4. #4tuney4432009-12-17 11:17

    I wasn't trying to be funny.It is Plow site--I'm a member there.

  5. #595zIV2009-12-17 11:59

    So am I, but I wouldn't recommend it.:IMO

  6. #6tuney4432009-12-18 08:47

    Why not?I feel it's the best plow forum around.If you're referring to the cliquey guys,big deal,I just ignore them.When I need a mechanical question answered quickly,there's nobody more knowledgeable than B+B.

  7. #7Steve Frazier2009-12-18 09:56

    Let's steer this thread back to the Air Flow plow. I looked at one at a trade show, looks like a good unit. Check on your dealer support locally, I don't know who carries them here. I'll add however, if you are going to be plowing for a living, you'll have a tough time beating the efficiency of an expandable plow, be it from Fisher, Western or Blizzard. The money you save by going with the used Airflow would be made up in just a storm or two with an expandable plow.

  8. #8Dirt Poor2009-12-18 16:26

    Thanks, Steve , it seems Air Flo is somewhat new on the scene, I thought I would get some practical info from an owner who may be also an HEF forum member. NO, I don't intend to plow for a living , BTDT, that ain't for me. I had already been to the forums mentioned and wasn't getting the real dirt [or snow!] I wanted to hear from someone who used and abused one and get their feedback. Maybe some one here will chime in yet. I did talk with a distributor , who was ready to make me a dealer/ installer, which I am considering. Gary

  9. #9watglen2009-12-25 08:15

    I was always under the impression that plows ruined the pickups they are mounted on. True????

  10. #10Mapleleaftrucks2009-12-25 09:10

    It's the driver's that ruins the truck and not the plows, Just because their is a blade on the front does not mean it is a bulldozer.

  11. #11bill onthehill2009-12-25 09:38

    I have had a western on my 98 Chevy 3500 SRW since new and it is fine shape. Running too big of a plow on too light of a truck will damage them. So will operating it in a careless manner like trying to move piles that are better suited to using a loader to move or stack. I have done a lot of plowing and little things likes using the brakes when changing directions make a big difference. The proper weight in the back for heavy snow instead of spinning your wheels helps also.

  12. #12tuney4432009-12-25 12:34

    For app. 20 years,I plowed with my different GM pickups--3/4 or 1 tons and I never had any issues because I know better than to think I'm on my bulldozer when I'm plowing snow.The last 10 years I've been plowing with an old solid axle V30 Chevy dump--again no problems except from the salt on the sander that literally ate it alive.Now I just retired that, but took the 9-2 Boss V plow and installed it on my everyday ride,my 06' Chevy 3500 with Dmax and Ally.I really didn't want to do this for several reasons but my financial situation forced my hand and so far I couldn't be happier.This SRW truck will outpush my old dump hands down as far as power.I;ve got a new Salt Dogg poly 1.5 yd. salter on her,just yesterday I installed air bags in the rear and Timbren look-a-likes in the front.I fluid filmed the entire pickup box and underbelly to stop corrosion so I'm being proactive.So to summarize--no to plowing ruining a truck in general,but only if you take care with it and use common sense.

  13. #13V16CatMetKanick2010-01-10 18:19

    Up here in New Hampshire we mostly run Blizzard and Boss, Fisher has mostly died off due to slow hydraulics and lack of future tech improvements. Ford is deff the truck to plow with too, i had GM's and Dodges, and Ford always took the weight on the front the best even with the big 11' Blizzard Power Plow.