Alright, I went searching for the fuel pick-up lines to solve the problem of a flat primer bulb. I raised the cab and attempted find the tank. I followed the filler tube into a vast abyss of hydraulic lines, fans and hydraulic cylinders. I am not a big guy, but there was no way I could squeeze over the top and see what was there. I took off an access panel near the tank but that was no help either. Also tried following the lines from the bulb but they go under the engine and disappear. It appeared that the line connecting the primer was a little long and may have been a little bent. I shortened it and that took a little of the kink out of it. Maybe that was the problem but I kind of doubt it. So, any suggestions short pulling the engine or calling a bobcat mechanic out here to get to the lines? :beatsme You can see the filler tube on the left in the picture, along with my 8 year old reinstalling the access panel.:cool2
There are a few guys on here that can steer you straight on this. Bad news is some bobcats you have to pull the engine to replace the tank. IIRC bobcat mechanic described a real PITA process for doing this on some units.
Have someone wiggle the line from the back while you look from inside. The line goes under the motor into the tank. You will see it wiggle. The tank is probably plastic. The line goes through a rubber grommet into the tank and there is a pick up line. Be careful and make sure not to bust the tank. If the pick up line in the tank is broken off you cant put the hose and line in at the same time, you have to put the new line through and then carefully push the grommet in. Hope this helps
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Ahh, welcome to the underworld of the Bobcat. A fine piece of equipment it is, but an undenyable PITA to work on. I can't remember on your model, but on most, the pickup and return fittings are near the drive pump, that's the part in your pic that has the 4 large 90 degree hose fittings connected to it, just above "5/28/2009". The fittings are usually in that area, below the pump. Some are behind it, between the drive pump and engine. There's one model I worked on and the fitting was directly underneath the pump, that one was a cuss fest to do. I might take you a while to find it, you might have luck feeling behind the pump, feeling the hoses in that area while having someone at the rear of the machine lightly pulling the hose so you can feel one moving. When you find it, you'll probably say "you've got to be *^&%# kidding me!" You'll be looking for a small 90 degree fitting that the hose is connected to, and the fitting fits into a rubber grommet in the top of the tank. I usually just snip the hose off at the fitting, the pull the fitting out with the pickup tube.
There is one model I did that I could get to the pickup fitting by removing an access cover on the left side. Can't remember which one, I work on so many different machines, the model escapes me. I couldn't see what I was working on, had to feel by reaching in as far as I could with my head against the side of the machine, but was able to remove and re-install. If you have to do the frontal approach, and it's in an awkward place behind the pump and just out of reach, you could remove the hyd tank. That opens things up quite a bit. I've even removed the cooling fan to get to things like the alternator. It's not all that hard to remove the hyd tank or the fan housing and makes getting to things a lot more friendly, if that's possible on a Bobcat.
I have a 843 bobcat your bobcat looks newer but mine has removeable beley pans under hydrostacic pumps maybe remove these and find where tank is
Thanks again for the advice. I will try everything you guy's suggested and let you know how it went. You know, I am pretty competent around cars and tractors, having rebuilt a few, but this thing makes me feel like an idiot!:spaz They are a whole lot different and complicated that anything I have ever attempted to work on. ATCO described it perfectly, "A fine piece of equipment but a PITA to work on!" Oh well, I consider myself a lifelong learner, so I will consider this another "learning opportunity" rofessor I am VERY thankful for this forum and the quality people on it who take their valuable time to answer my questions. :notworthy
Yeah, working on a Bobcat is like working like working on top of a Porcupine down in a hole! There ain't no way to be comfortable...and everything in there is poking and prodding you. If you ever get the #^*&@ fuel pickup out, go ahead and put a new pickup tube and replace the rubber grommet that the fitting goes into. As long as your screen at the end of the tube is ok, you can re-use it. If you shake it, you should hear the check ball rattle. When you go to re-install, put screen on bottom of tube, slip new grommet on top of tube about an inch down, fit 90 degree elbow into tube and put a little vaseline on tube between grommet and fitting, insert assy into tank, press grommet into tank, then press fitting into grommet. Re-connect fuel hose, oh heck, for that matter, install a new fuel hose! You've been through enough already, I'd take care of that as well.
So far so good.... I think the small kink in the fuel line may have been the culprit. The machine starts well and is not stalling, plus the bulb is not going flat! :woohoo I am still planning to check and replace the pick up line, but not right away. If I can avoid that job then I will. Next on the list, a slight leak in the tilt cylinder. Maybe I'll start a new thread fo that. Hopefully I can buy a rebuild kit.
Whoa, dude...that's great news!!! :notworthy High Five...Yeah! :drinkup But one of these days...
But one of these days... [/QUOTE] :iagree