So I found a set of Loegering 12" tracks on Craigs List for $650.00 and they were only about an hour away from my house. The guy told me they had less than 100 hours on them when I called. Enough to get anybody’s interest right?:beatsme So I go out there and meet the guy, it has just stopped raining so we are in a little hurry to get them off his truck and onto mine. I do a quick once over and notice a little play in the links. I think they look pretty good overall, so I make the deal and take them home. Here is what I learned....Always take the time to go ahead and remove a pin and inspect it to see the actual wear, even if it is starting to rain!:nono I also learned that perhaps the guy actually meant to say 1000 hours on them and forgot the extra zero! :Banghead: So here is what I have. A fairly good set of tracks that probably needs a new set of pins, and maybe bushings. I measured them and they are normally .500 in dia but are worn to .340. (see pics) So, think I should go ahead and replace all of them? Any suggestions on where to purchase Loegering pins? Or just put them on and go for it? Loegering says that a .625 pin can be worn down to .20 before they need to be replaced. Your comments(and possible ridicule) are welcome.
Nice tracks for the money:drinkup
The track's dont look that bad.The problem is the bushing has turned on the bolt.When properly torqued ,the bushing wont turn on the bolt.You might replace all the bolts ,torque them down tight and run a long time.Make sure to use a good bolt grade and lube the threads with oil when torquing them down.Good luck.
Are you sure those are Loegerings, I have a set and mine don't look anything like those and mine are probably almost 15 years old and the style hasn't really changed. Mine are stamped with loegering on the pads and where you hook them together theirs little flat pieces with 4 holes to bolt together. As far as pins and bushings knock on wood I've never touched mine even with how old they are, I only keep them on for a couple of months a year. I say throw them on if your not going to be running it everyday.
Not really sure if they actually are loegerings.:beatsme Tht is what the seller said they were. Maybe someone can ID them. They are very heavy whatever they are.
So, you got them on yet?
They still are in my truck. Lots of rain today. I am trying to find some replacement pins first. They are 1/2-13 carraige bolts. I think they are grade 5. Any suggestions on a good place to get them? I am planning to call a few places tomorrow.
I bet they are grade 8. I buy mine at the Deere dealer but pretty much anyone that sells skidders will be able to get them for you.
Looks to me like the bushings are worn pretty good also. If you just install new bolts in the old bushings, the loose fit of the bolt to bushing will make the bolt wear much faster. No way would I run those bolts again, when they break it will be in the worst mucky mud ever, or in a place you can't get out of without the tracks! At least thats my luck. New bolts and bushings, then you know what you have, and aren't wondering when they will break.
I was going to say the same thing. I have a set of Loegering Trail Blazers which are called something else now "F" type is their new designation. If those are Loegering they are way old. That does not mean bad, but I am not sure they are Loegering. Mine are about 8-10 years old.
Now I'm worried. Hope I didn't end up with a Chinese off brand or something. :spaz Bobcat has the bolts to fit it and the bushings as well. They told me to bring in a link and the bolts and we should be able to match them up. If not, then this will be an expensive lesson. Hey, I could weld them into some really cool yard art! :idea
for the carriage bolts just go to a hardware store...heck we sell them at ours too bad I am in VA
Replace the bolts for sure and the bushing if they really worn if you can find a supplier. The bolts are made to be the wear part and I replace when needed cause its cheap. The tracks can be really wore and still work. Awore out set of tracks will have no grousers left for traction and the metal so thin crossbars start breaking. These are a lot of hours away from that. Scott
You sell grade 8 smooth shank carriage bolts with a square shoulder?
Its like 25C said, if installed right there should be no wear on the bolt, the link should pivot on the bushing
Getting parts I am going to Bobcat tomorrow to pick up the bolts (1.37 ea) and a few spacers. Even if I replace every bolt I still have under 800.00 in these. Not too bad. Hopefully I will not need additional links to fit my machine. However the way things have been going on this project, I won't get my hopes up. Maybe in a few days I can post some cool pictures of me plowing through the mud with these tracks! :thumbsup Thanks again for the advice and moral support!:drinkup
You are dealing with dry pins in sand, dirt and other abrasive materiel. Things are going to wear. If you are in wet mud it's easier on the tracks. The bolts should be the part that wears first cause it the cheapest to replace. They should be softer than the bushing. The bushing protects the actual pad from wearing. Scott