Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

preasure reducer

wilddanz71 ยท 2009-05-03 17:43

I am looking at mounting a 7.5' fisher plow on my skid steer. I want to use the auxilary hydralics to angle the plow. Were can I find a presure reduser so I dont blow the angle cyliders on the plow? Any one got pics of their setup?

Replies13
  1. #1willie592009-05-03 18:08

    I'm not familiar with a Fisher plow, but what would make the skid loader aux circuit blow the angle cylinders on the plow?

  2. #2JonesBros2009-05-03 18:32

    When Hurricane Isabelle hit we had a 1085B cruiz-air that we put a grapple on to pick up all the logs & limbs on side of the road for VDOT. We kept on blowing apart and cracking the swing motors on the grapples. I finally came up with the idea that the larger hoses going to the motor was flowing to much volume of hydraulic fluid and kept breaking motors. So we downsized the hozes from like 1/2" ID to say 5/16" ID and never had another minutes problem. So if you can't find a reducer of some sort just stick some smaller hoses on it.

  3. #3wilddanz712009-05-05 06:48

    Well maybe I ment the hoses going to the cylinders. That is what I was told atleast. the fisher plow I have only has one hose on each cylinder, so I take it that they are single action. so couldnt I blow a hose if I hit a rock when angled and put to much preasure on the cylinder. I know that I probly dont make any sense.:beatsme Any help on a preasure reducer would be great:notworthy

  4. #4Komatsu 1502009-05-05 07:45

    The pressure reducer is an available item sold for that purpose either the skid loader dealer or from the plow co. I know the Bobcat dealer here has gotten them. A friend did the same thing with a Western plow on a Bobcat and instantly blew the hoses to the angle cyls. It did angle briskly until it hit the stop!

  5. #5wilddanz712009-05-05 12:14

    That is what I am afraid of. My freind also has the same setup, but he has a reducer of some sort. he has never had a problem. My searches on the web have resulted in nothing, I cant find anything specific for this purpose.

  6. #6landtekk2009-05-05 14:23

    Just hook them up with fittings that match your skid. The hoses on most plow rams are 1/4" so there there is a reduction right there. I've plowed with western plows for ten years and never had a problem. the hydraulics will be fast so you have to feather the controls. I have split rams but never have broken a hose. Scott

  7. #7landtekk2009-05-05 14:28

    Also the reduction is the first fitting on the ram so if it blows a hose, the hose probably had a defect or rotten. Scott

  8. #8willie592009-05-05 20:00

    I think I got what your saying; your talking about a blade attachment (like a snow plow) on your skid loader, your driving along blading material, and you encounter a rock or stump on one side of your blade. Something has to give, so you figure the pressure from the rock will cause a cylinder to move putting pressure on a hose and "pop"! Is this pretty much it?

  9. #9wilddanz712009-05-05 20:15

    Your exactly correct. And yes I will be plowing snow only whith this plow, mostly on jobsites, were there could be rocks, stumps, frozen ruts!! do you sell any of those presure reducers?

  10. #10Steve Frazier2009-05-05 20:30

    What you want is a flow restrictor, it's a little brass fitting with a screw adjustment for adjusting flow rate. I have one on my truck with central hydraulics to the plow feeds to get them at a reasonable speed. Any hydraulic supplier should have them, they go in line.

  11. #11willie592009-05-05 20:35

    I got 'ya now. Most skid loaders have circuit relief valves, also called "port reliefs", on the aux circuit. I can't say yours does for sure though. Your machine dealer should be able to tell you and what pressure they are set at. If your machine has the circuit reliefs, they would "pop open" when the blade hit an obstruction and allow the cylinders/blade to move. But there's one thing you may have a problem with; what the pressure setting of the circuit reliefs are compared to the strength of the components on your attachment. For example; if the reliefs are set to crack open at 2,500 psi and your cylinders on the attachment are only rated for 2,000 psi, you could bend a rod on your cylinders. See if you can get some info on your relief settings and what the cylinders are rated at on your attachment.

  12. #12willie592009-05-05 21:26

    wilddanz71, there is another option to make the blade "breakaway" and move (angle) when you hit an obstruction without using the circuit reliefs on the machine. If you have the kind of blade I think you have, there are 2 single acting angle cylinders, one on the left of center pivot and one on the right. If so, installing an adjustable crossover relief valve (mount on back of blade) in the cylinder circuit. If you hit an obstruction on the left side of the blade, the crossover relief would crack open and dump oil from the left cylinder over to the right cylinder causing it to extend.

  13. #13spitzair2009-05-06 01:44

    Just as Atco says, I reccomend a crossover relief valve for this situation. Install one of them and you shouldn't have any problems...