Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

So, I’ve got this clunk….

D6c10K · 2023-09-22 10:45

About 2 years ago I had the LH dead axle repaired and new undercarriage fitted on my D6c 10k. Afterwards I noticed a clunk in the rear end when shifting directions. Wasn't a terrible noise and didn't do it all the time. I kind of chalked it up to new undercarriage sounding different. The machine hasn't been used a lot until this summer and I got to noticing that the clunk only happens when reversing up a slope and then shifting to forward. Kind of sounds like slack in the drive train. If you allow it to come to a full stop and settle forward before engaging the forward gear it doesn't do it, or if you decelerate way down when shifting it doesn't do it. I also doesn't happen if you're going forward up hill and shift to reverse. Doesn't have any noise when pushing or reversing....just when shifting as described. Any ideas on what might be going on?

Replies2
  1. #1nicky 68a2023-09-22 15:35

    It’s not the sound of the transmission clutch pistons working nicely and being more noticeable now it’s got less slack and wear in the segments and bushes?

  2. #2tctractors2023-09-23 15:07

    It sounds like the U.J's on the drive shaft are done for.