Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

So if you’ve got a 1″ drive impact, but only 3/8″ air line….

crane operator · 2019-01-20 19:22

Saw this for sale on craigslist, and it took me just a bit before I figured out what they were doing. More air is more air.

Replies24
  1. #1willie592019-01-20 19:25

    Brilliant!

  2. #2Joe Fick2019-01-20 19:26

    That have to be a pain in the ass dragging two airlines???

  3. #3Junkyard2019-01-20 19:39

    Gives you 3/4” worth. Whatever works I reckon.

  4. #4Tinkerer2019-01-20 19:45

    It would be a bigger pain if he was dragging two air compressors.

  5. #5Delmer2019-01-20 19:58

    not even close to 3/4" worth from two 3/8" hoses. Half the cross section, but less than half the airflow is my guess. I like a freon tank as a storage tank in this situation, but then you only get a couple good hits, and have to wait another few seconds to hit it again if it doesn't come loose the first time.

  6. #6John C.2019-01-20 20:22

    What's with aiming the couplers to the front of the gun? At worst I'd have put them straight down.

  7. #7old-iron-habit2019-01-20 20:25

    Hooking to the tire they are trying to remove.

  8. #8Birken Vogt2019-01-20 20:35

    From the overall looks of it, it looks like it worked for what they were doing, and they worked it pretty long and hard also.

  9. #9Tugger22019-01-20 20:48

    It will take 4 of those 3,8 lines not including friction loss to match the 3,4

  10. #10Junkyard2019-01-20 22:12

    Yeah my quick internal math was off there lol. Not as simple as I was thinking when I fired off my comment. After I did the math I was off considerably. Like we say at work when we mess up......I’m a dumba$$ lol

  11. #11petepilot2019-01-20 22:54

    likely the reason their selling is not enough air to make the gun useful

  12. #12hvy 1ton2019-01-21 03:12

    Through the magic of circles 2 3/8" lines have just over 50% the cross section of a 1/2" line.

  13. #13fast_st2019-01-21 08:03

    Nuuu! 3/8 x2 is 3/4 in linear measurement, but when you go tubular, and approximating flow, area wise 3/8 being 0.1 and 1/2 being about 0.2 inches sq 2x 3/8 lines would area wise be about a 1/2 inch line but, it has also twice the surface area for drag. so it'll flow less than a 1/2 inch line.

  14. #14Junkyard2019-01-21 08:11

    As I said....I corrected my own mistake

  15. #15fast_st2019-01-21 08:24

    but this is the internets, everything lives forever! I cheated last year, I needed air about 400' from my compressor, I used 3/4 garden hose.

  16. #16Junkyard2019-01-21 08:33

    That’s a fact!

  17. #17DMiller2019-01-21 09:18

    I use a 1/2" line for my 1" but the 3/4" I use has 3/8 hi-flow style G couplers for smaller line where I used it in field on smaller air compressor. Had to await recovery on air but still worked. This however doubt if much help. VOLUME, Needs VOLUME with flow.

  18. #18John C.2019-01-21 10:25

    One inch impact needs a one inch line to run to full capacity.

  19. #19Mobiltech2019-01-21 10:33

    175 psi helps too. Did you you know 1/2 inch poly water line will hold 175 psi in your shop wall lines without any trouble? Cheap too.

  20. #20Birken Vogt2019-01-21 10:53

    I always ran mine on 1/2" hose with 140 psi, never had a nut it could not loosen. I know it was supposed to have 1" hose, but never found the need to upgrade and drag that big old snake all over the floor.

  21. #21John C.2019-01-21 10:58

    I kept a 1" hose that was about 15' long in the service truck. It was great for excavator counterweight bolts on Komatsu machines. I still have the gun but left the hose in the truck when I quit that job. Never needed to use the gun since.

  22. #22DMiller2019-01-22 11:44

    In the 'Olden' days used those damn Chicago fittings, until one of the hairpins split and the connector vibrated loose, THAT was an experience I do not want to repeat as it whipped loose until the reservoirs in the shop ran dry(killed compressor), Beat the crap out of LOADS of stuff! We added 1/4 turn shut off valves to all the connection fittings instead of the old gate valves as that one we could not get close to for long enough to close it after the connection parted.

  23. #23petepilot2019-01-22 19:27

    lol been there done that

  24. #24RZucker2019-01-22 20:29

    Heck, I knew a guy that used camlock fittings... he got chased by a hose or two.