Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

So you think you have done it all with a backhoe….

Stroker · 2006-02-11 08:41

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :yup http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/photo/archive/archive_51-100/photo73.htm

Replies11
  1. #1D10N2006-02-11 10:49

    Gets points for creativity at least!

  2. #2xkvator2006-02-11 12:16

    i've seen a similar setup around here at a coal yard...never saw them get it up on the railroad cars, though

  3. #3itsgottobegreen2006-02-11 13:04

    There is a company that builds the kits. Its for railroad maintaince. But they say it for climbing up on to flat and gonoda cars. Not coal cars. YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  4. #4Dozerboy2006-02-12 01:16

    Good thing I read the captions. I was thinking wow I bet I could do that and my current job is next to a set of train tracks. That would definitely be a "Here, hold my beer." moment.:Banghead

  5. #5tylermckee2006-02-12 05:27

    Ive done plenty of rock climbing on a backhoe but never jumped up on any railroad cars

  6. #6RonG2006-02-12 06:44

    Herzog has a patent on the system,there is info and a vid on their website and I have watched it over and over and I am still shaking my head!! LOL My brother sent me a link to it a few years ago so it is not new anymore but their website says they are looking for operators. They market the service is the way I understand it,they rent the machine and operator to whoever wants it. Ron G http://www.herzogcompanies.com/rrservices/cartopper.php

  7. #7tylermckee2006-02-12 13:39

    Hey i think i saw one of those railroad car climbing backhoes yesterday. It had a funky looking bucket on it and had a grapple. It was sitting right next to some train tracks and they had just spread railroad ties all along a long stretch of track that they are going to be redoing. I was wondering how they spread all of those ties out :laugh

  8. #8Dozerboy2006-02-12 21:39

    Wow that kind of cool if it didn’t involve a lot of travel I'd do it. Assuming they have AC and radios in there equipment.

  9. #9coopers2006-02-15 21:04

    BNSF has about 5 cars with that cat backhoe on top running around the tracks up here doing work. Pretty cool looking stuff, I'd never want to get that backhoe up and down though. Blake WA

  10. #10rino14942006-03-03 19:44

    Damn, I never saw that before. That is amazing :thumbsup

  11. #11MVFD2006-07-17 00:08

    I wanna see him get down