Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Soda bottle for sample collection?

Labparamour · 2021-07-11 18:30

Didn’t have a sample kit on the shelf so, was going to use plastic soda bottle but digging further found a glass bottle. Question: would plastic soda bottle contaminate the sample? (In my case, will be a couple days before getting the kit with proper bottle) Thanks, Darryl

Replies7
  1. #1DMiller2021-07-11 19:10

    Would not do it, would go to a store and purchase a new empty bottle of some sort first.

  2. #2Tyler d4c2021-07-11 19:20

    I doubt it would if you got it clean enough but the report may say the component has mtndew in it.

  3. #3Labparamour2021-07-11 21:32

    Thanks for replies. I guess I wasn’t real clear in my question. Bottles had been rinsed/dried. I was worried more about a petroleum-based liquid breaking down the bottle and mixing/contaminating the sample that way...

  4. #4funwithfuel2021-07-11 22:50

    I've used empty water bottles many times in a pinch. The plastic doesn't care.

  5. #5Delmer2021-07-11 22:54

    I'd be more concerned that the dirt would settle out in the bottle and not get transferred to your sample bottle. I assume they shake the sample bottles pretty good at the lab to make sure they get a uniform sample of the sample.

  6. #6Labparamour2021-07-12 00:24

    Good points. I’ll shake the bottle I used before transferring to the proper test kit bottle. Thanks again for the guidance.

  7. #7Labparamour2021-07-19 16:15

    Follow up: Sample came back fine...no sign of Lipton iced tea or snoose. (I had used a rinsed and dried glass bottle) Out of curiosity, I called the lab today. They said clean/dry plastic soda bottle shouldn’t effect the result. (I now have an extra test bottle on the shelf)