I work on generators. Most of them have a fairly predictable run time spread over months. I am wondering if there is some kind of master software that can track oil changes, runtime, fuel filter changes, etc. as time goes by and enter intermediate hours either from customer reading or if I go there to do repairs.
Lots of them, some free, google "equipment maintenance software" or "programmed maintenance software" will get you started. Or just build yourself a spreadsheet if you don't need bells and whistles.
I also would like a software program that can be used as a database for machine records and the ability to track service intervals and repairs. I have looked on the internet but the choices are staggering. If a member has had any experience with any of these programs I would appreciate any feed back Mark
I did not get much good on Google. Too many choices sometimes as bad as none at all. Was hoping somebody here uses something that works. People always say use a spreadsheet but I have never been able to get a spreadsheet do do something this complex. It is like a whole new programming language.
I've use FileMakerPro and designed what I needed. It has templates that will probably do whatever you want. The commercial programs are usually a subscription and you have to pay every month. Some provide a little bit of training on how to set up and use them but I've been told they make it so that you have to call someone when there is a problem and that has a cost. I've also heard there are some cloud based systems but I'm pretty leery of my information on someone else's computer.
Take a look at this program. Easy to customize. They have a 30 day trial. If you decide to buy I think it's on like $25. http://www.cat.cc/CAR/index.htm
I've been working on a web app for this: logaid.com . My family has a construction business and I just wasn't very satisfied with the other options out there. A spreadsheet just doesn't provide all the capability, but most other software solutions seem too complex and expensive. With Logaid, I've tried to develop something in between a spreadsheet and other software out there, with a focus on simplicity and flexibility. Optionally, Logaid also offers something that many other solutions don't offer: time tracking for employees and equipment. For employees, it's a time sheet solution for payroll. For equipment, it allows you to track usage of equipment on jobs for job costing, and if an hour meter doesn't work, you can still track/perform hourly PM tasks as planned. I am still trying to understand the market's needs, so I'm really looking for feedback - any feedback. You can quickly try a demo for yourself. Thanks in advance for the consideration.
I like the look of that and if you could fine tune it a little bit I would use it for sure. My needs are simple but they are specific. Problem #1 it seems to log what info I put in the same day...needs to have a way to enter work done in the past
Birken, thanks for taking a look and providing feedback. I am certainly open to making some changes. The idea behind not being able to specify a log date (and it using the current date) is not providing employees a potential way to fabricate logs after the fact, say if you had several users contributing. To solve this for you, I could just add a permission option to allow entering a log date for users with the appropriate permission. You labeled that statement "problem #1", are there other issues? Thanks again.
I do not see or get meter readings for most of my units. My main concern is having date projections of when it will need service again so I can call the customer and schedule. I don't see that on here. "Projected next service due" would be essential for what I do. My customers are usually very predictable. If it could look back to the hours per day around the same time last year that would be even better but I realize that is getting a little strange.
Thanks for the added information. I see your concern. You can set the next service date, but currently it requires an extra step. I didn't really expect that type of scenario - a changing time based interval. This feedback is great. Currently, after adding a service log entry, you could go to the "Details" tab of the asset, then click "Edit" next to Service. The intention of this screen is giving the ability to change service plans, but you can also manually override the next calculated service time here. I'm curious to know more about the amount and types of items you are tracking and what the maintenance frequency is. How many items per customer? How do you figure the changing maintenance intervals? For example, do you estimate run time by month with say 100 hours in January increasing to 800 hours in June? Does the customer provide you a run schedule ahead of time? Do you think many other people perform maintenance in the same way? Thanks
Thank you for the attention. This is great. A sizeable group of my customers generators that run to charge batteries when there is no solar. Generally this is very predictable. So it is mainly to get oil changes right. Currently I have a spreadsheet for each customer of this type. It defaults to just predict the same hours per day as the last oil change interval. Then I have to set a reminder in my Google calendar. If the season is changing I will take a guess at how many hours per day they ran in the previous time period last year and adjust the scheduled date up or down accordingly. Just a lot of little fiddly steps. What I would suggest, if it is not too much trouble, is to plot the last year's data points of hours per day on some kind of internal curve in your program. In my case customers get a rough 2-5 changes per year so the data will be a little sketchy but it should get close enough. For other things such as valve adjustment, etc. the program would work great as-is.
You mentioned using last year's run time to determine the maintenance schedule for the current year. Does the customer provide that? What format is last year's run time provided to you in? Is the previous year's data just estimates or actual values? One reason I'm asking is, if the customer or someone knows the actual run time, could that be used during the current year rather than estimating based on the previous year's run time.
Sorry, I missed these questions. I'd really like to get something that works out of this. 1. Last year's run time. Often I am the only one to do maintenance on these machines. So I build up a good record year after year myself. Some customers have their own sheets which I might take a picture of with my phone for input later. 2. It would be nice if we could put in known current run times for more precise intervals, but in reality, who cares if an oil and filter change runs a little under or over. I would just like to have it be automatic so I don't have to keep remembering to input it and transfer to my calendar. If I miss one, it falls off my radar completely and I have to remember it has been a long time since I saw customer X, and go in and check on them.
Thanks for the input. I haven't had any other requests to make service intervals determined by previous run intervals, so at this point, I'm not sure it would make sense for me to try to make that possible. As for putting in current run times, you could do that. Just set the asset up as having an hour meter and enter updated hour meter readings (even if they are only estimates). As already mentioned, you could also manually change next service values, say for example you setup an oil change to happen every 90 days, but you know its a busy time of year - you could set the next change date to be 60 days out. If you have a list of equipment and previous service logs, I could help get that setup for you, partly because as you mentioned, you can't modify the dates for previous service logs by design. Please PM me if you are interested in pursuing this and include your email address. Thanks
What volume of input have you had? I am sure I am not the only one. Coming up with a product that people didn't know they needed (or few people anyway) is how to make money, they say.
Thanks for the response. I'll admit that I haven't had a lot of input yet, so I do really appreciate yours. I just haven't heard anyone else ask for something similar. You have to consider this from my perspective too. I am trying to build something that will have mass market appeal, because the only way I'll make money is for many people to use it. My goals are to keep it: 1. simple to use 2. flexible 3. cheap/affordable Most CMMS type programs tend to be highly configurable with a good deal of setup, configuration, and complexity - which will likely allow them to cater more toward specific needs and use cases, but come with more of a learning curve and cost more. I feel like there is an opportunity to create something with the goals above that would sort of fit between a spreadsheet solution and a traditional CMMS, so that's what I am aiming for. Since my main goal is to keep it simple, basically any feature I add also adds to the complexity of it, so particularly now in the early stage, I really only want to add features that I think will benefit a large number of people. So here are my reasons: 1. I just don't see a mass market that wants to create maintenance schedules based on the run time of the previous year (Others please reply if you'd like this). Rather, I see the vast majority wanting to track maintenance due according to current run time or schedule. 2. I think if you used it as it is, you could get like +80% of the solution; it sounds like using Logaid would be significantly better than what you are currently doing by having to setup reminders on your calendar for each generator. I will keep your input in mind in case I hear others asking for something similar. Thanks
It was convenient at one time to establish service points to hours running, usually indicated on tachometer. Nowadays with more exotic designs to engine oils, coolers for all the major systems groups and less serviceable components those intervals have been drastically extended. I know of a fleet here in Mid-Mo typically running up to 20,000 miles based on oil sample results between intervals, another is getting almost 40k where a local dump/heavy haul service is only getting 12-15k. Some of it is duration of loaded mile, duration of stop/go transitions or strict highway speeds.