Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Soil Stabilization Dust spreader question

still learn'n · 2017-07-09 01:30

How do you spread out the dust for soil stabilization? We have been have the pneumatic trucks have a spreader bar on back of trailer but it takes a long time to spread and I was told that having our own spreader truck and spreading ourselves would be way faster but can find a used one and to put together our own isn't really cost effective. What I would really like to figure out is a way to blow dust directly into our Wirtgen Wr200 mixing drum. Anyone have experience with this? Anyone know of a spreader truck for sale?

Replies9
  1. #1redneckracin2017-07-10 08:38

    I have never seen cement blown directly into the mixer it has always been spread on the ground before hand. I think that it is easier to get consistency that way but I have only done CI on the work never planned it.

  2. #2still learn'n2017-07-10 10:23

    Wirtgen on their WR250 make an attachment to go on the machine to spread the dust but my understanding it is for small projects and now I cant find any info on it but running off my memory it spreads it directly in front of the mixing chamber. I wasn't sure it would work to blow it in to the mixing chamber but I know people modify all kinds of things out there and thought I would ask for opinions.

  3. #3hvy 1ton2017-07-10 15:33

    I'm normally pretty good with google-fu. I could not find a single used truck for sale. I imagine the spreader is most of the cost, but just in case, stoltz makes trailed spreaders that can be pulled by an ag tractor.

  4. #4grandpa2017-07-11 07:31

    Could you use an old snowplow with a salt spreader attachment? I know Force America and Dicky John make programmable spreaders that can be calibrated to be quite accurate. They work off speed sensors so if the truck slows down so does the output of the spreader.

  5. #5still learn'n2017-07-13 13:43

    Hvy I emailed stotlz and asked about a bed to go on a truck and it wasn't cost effective for us since it was close to 100k just for the bed and then I would have to get a truck to put it on. When we do small little pads like a 150' x 150'and there is jobsite construction fence on 3 sides without not much room that a pull type spreader wouldn't work. Grandpa I thought of something like a dry fertilizer spreader and then put a top on it. I also have chatted online with an engineer from a company that makes bulk solid measuring instruments that would measure this type of material but they aren't really made to be portable and the other thing I'm not sure we need to be that precise.

  6. #6Dozerboy2017-07-13 17:54

    Never heard of a spreader truck. How long is it taking? I've never had 1 take over 45min that I can think of and that's us taking our time to keep the dust down. A truck with a spreader bar is way better the a truck that off loads via a hose or a hole in the bottom of the trailer. Any kind of salt spreader would be a nightmare for dust and if there was any wind half the truck would end up in the next county.

  7. #7still learn'n2017-07-13 20:24

    We started spreading out semis till 7 am and wouldn't get done spreading till around 1030 am. One of the pneumatic truck drivers said the reason it's so much faster is that they can keep their blower running all the time when they are sitting there but when they are spreading they got to stop and air up several times. I haven't seen good pics of a dust spreader truck but they are enclosed and I think they have a belt in the bottom and then gave an auger that distributes it in the back.

  8. #8Dozerboy2017-07-15 18:53

    Our trucks never stop to air up so maybe they are set up with bigger compressors.

  9. #9still learn'n2017-07-15 19:07

    Some of the trucks that came on the last job had to stop pry twice and air up. I don't know much about how they work or about all the processes so that's why I'm asking questions.