Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Solar battery maintainer

D6c10K ยท 2020-04-18 08:58

It's always hard to keep the batteries up on equipment that sits for long periods. I found a solar battery maintainer/desulfinator that's working well for me. Solargizer from Pulse Tech like these: (I don't sell these, just examples I've found online) https://www.ebay.com/itm/274330466964 https://www.easternsurplus.net/PartDetails/7209/ALL-5225-24V-Solar-B... These two are 24v that I'm using on my D6c dozer and a 5-ton military truck but there are 12v models. Direct from the company they are a little pricey but they can be found on eBay and other places for much cheaper. The military uses the 24v versions so can be found surplus. For the dozer I stick it to the top of the brush guard with magnets, and when running the machine I pull it off and stick it under the canopy to keep from tearing it off with tree limbs.

Replies7
  1. #1John C.2020-04-18 10:48

    When I worked for the local Cat dealer we bought four of the twelve volt versions. I used them on the small machines, skid steers and mini excavators. The small machines had no master switches and were always going dead. When a machine was sold, we just moved the chargers to a different machine. It saved a few batteries and a lot of jump starting. I did the same thing with magnets.

  2. #2mitch5042020-04-18 19:25

    I use 2 of the 12 volt ones on my trackhoe, just one on each battery. I have been using them this way for 5 or 6 years, and they work great, even though the alternator is weak. They are just the $9.99 specials from Harbor Freight. I am going to have to look at the 24v ones.

  3. #3Hdonly2020-08-10 14:32

    I am new to this solar battery charging. I previously had purchased a 25 watt 12 volt panel. I decided to build up a charger for my D6B 24 volt system, so I bought a second 12 volt 25 watt panel to wire in series for my 24 volt system. After doing some reading today, I decided that I need a charge controller with the 25 watt panels to keep from overcharging my batteries. Glad I ran across this thread as it got me to reading some more.

  4. #4motoOzarks2020-08-12 23:27

    It would be nice to find one with some indicator that it is working. Don't forget to remove charger before driving tractor..........don't ask how I know.

  5. #5Rusted2020-08-13 00:29

    These have worked well for me. https://hardkorrlighting.com/en-us/product/15w-12v-or-24v-trickle-charge-solar-panel/

  6. #6Krackerjack92020-08-26 05:08

    AS LONG as you got 1 or 2 volts going into the batteries then you should be fine but if its going to sit like 4 or 6 months then for sure check the water level before cranking em up

  7. #7Hdonly2020-09-03 18:38

    Krackerjack9, I'm sure you meant 1 or 2 amps. Working on my maintainer as the parts come in.