Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Solenoid valve modification for ease of replacement

RPF207 · 2022-05-11 20:53

2000 hitachi EX35U. Bought two years ago, been pretty much restoring it and getting everything back up to par. Current project, getting the two speed travel to work. After investigating I determined the coil for the solenoid valve that engaged high speed travel was bad. Dealership doesn’t sell just a coil, you need to pay $550 for the whole valve block and the coil comes with it. I own the parts book for this machine and confirmed what they said. I searched high and low for a coil like the one I pulled off, couldn’t find one just like it. Schooled myself on coils, found coils very similar, but learned they really on make coils with certain size through bores. The “Rod” the coil slides over on my machine was 9/16”, closest bore size available in coils was 1/2” or 5/8”. so I ordered a 5/8” bore coil for $20US and had my machinist make me an adapter to take up the slack, actually had him make me two adapters for $80 in case the pilot control valve coil ever goes bad. The new coil operates the pusher in the rod just fine outside the machine, hopefully I’ll get to put it on the machine tomorrow. first is new coil with adapter, second is old coil also, do these go bad often? My machinist mentioned I might have a good product on my hands that could save people $450 or more. I told him I really wasn’t sure how many Deere and hitachi machines use this same solenoid set up and how often these need to be replaced

Replies1
  1. #1TIredoldparts2022-05-17 21:52

    don't think they go bad very often. good to know though.