Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Solenoid voltage on a John Deere Series 500

tlray ยท 2015-10-02 17:45

Hello, My first post here. I have a question regarding the starter solenoid on a John Deere series 500. I know it takes 24 volts for the starter so I am guessing that the solenoid is 24 volts or will a 12 volt work. Thanks for your help Ted

Replies6
  1. #196_Bear2015-10-02 18:22

    I thought this was still 12 volt system not 24.

  2. #2lantraxco2015-10-02 19:17

    apparently could he had either way. If the rest of your system is 24, then yes you will need a 24V solenoid.

  3. #3tlray2015-10-03 06:35

    I bought it off my nephew and he said it was 24 volt. But it has 2 batteries that has 3 fill caps on each and I always thought that was a 6 volt battery. But being new to heavy equipment I just assumed (yeah I know) that he knew what he was talking about. He said the starter was 24 volt but the rest of the system is 12 volt. Is this right? Thanks for your help

  4. #4lantraxco2015-10-03 13:46

    Two batteries with 3 caps each should be 12 volts. You can't turn a 24 volt starter with 12, so.....

  5. #5Delmer2015-10-03 15:34

    The starter will usually have a tag on it that will include the voltage. If not check the alternator for a tag also. Just maybe your nephew didn't know there was such a thing as 6v batteries?

  6. #6tlray2015-10-08 09:47

    You may be right