Hi I am getting new tires for my skidsteer and I was wondering if you had any recommendation/ suggestion/ comment or which kind of tires are better. I was reading this post here about the differences in skid steer tires and I wanted to ask what type of tires do you use and whether they work for your specific business or not since I am trying to decide my self which ones to get. I use the machines in a variety of jobs so I am not totally sure. Your help is appreciated
I'd only recommend solids for recycling/waste handling/use on concrete. Otherwise, pneumatic all the way. Now the specific application dictates what type, tread,etc. Foam filling is an option as well. It flat proofs them plus adds significant weight. What kinds of work are we talking about? Is the machine on dirt, pavement, gravel? You want your moneys worth or the cheapest thing you can find?
I have had air and solids and foam filled. I could not stand the air tires because of untimely flats due to slow leaks or turning into a stump or whatever and breaking the bead. The solids were ok but were very rough riding. The foam filled seem to be a happy medium as they are not as rough riding as the solids and not as much money. The weight of the solids and foam filled greatly helped the stability of the machine when lifting loads high like dumping into a dump truck.
I agree with tireman. I was a mechanic in a shredder yard for years and solids were a must. The foam filled would come apart and chunk out, of coarse the pneumatics would be flat in no time. If you are working in wet spots the solids will sink and offer little traction. Jim Dandy is correct about the rough ride on solids.
There are other options. Michelin make something, I think they're called Tweels. Someone posted on here a while back about them. Also there is the Cat option called Flexport. Both offer a "solution" to the problems of pneumatics puncturing and the hard ride of solids.
Here's the link to the thread about Michelin Tweels ............