OK- looking for some experience here. I am looking at a Cat 262C pre-owned that has a set of Solideal tracks on it. In looking at them, I don't see what I would think is a lot of help with traction. At least where I'd be looking. I have a Cat 242 that I have a set of Prowler OTT tracks that look like a series of steel bars. Great traction in mud, or most anywhere else. They are brutal on grass as to tearing up a yard however. What I'm trying to figure is am I just misreading the Soliddeals, or do they have an intended purpose I don't understand? In this deal, I can buy with with the machine for much less than they sell for- but they still want $2000 for them. I won't ask if they are worth it, but do they work?
Anyone? Surely someone has used the Solideal tracks?
Solideal makes many different tracks. What pattern are you talking about? Solideal is a good brand if that's what you're asking.
They're probably the kind with what looks like a block pattern. And yes these work fine and probably wear better than your prowlers. But don't expect to cross a swamp with them.
This is the design I'm looking at- Don't look like great traction http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9525869
By the end of the month i will be ordering my own solideal ott for my case 1840. Traction looks good and its lighter for me to ship to my country (300lbs vs 700lbs and up for a steel set). Looking around the forums, the only real prob ive read is the pressure they put on the axels when rocks and other hard debris get stuck in between them and the tyres but i wont be using them in rocky terrain. Check out this vid....... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HkwhBPy_Iw
RT - Did you buy the skid with the Solideal tracks? If so what do you think of them? I'm thinking of getting a set for my New Holland as I need more flotation but can't afford a real CTL right now.
Orchard, I did not. Like you, I'd like a CTL, just can't justify it yet. I'm not sure that with not having any additional bottom rollers that you'd see much difference in ground pressure. I could see a bit better traction. I have a set of bar type steel OTT tracks that have great traction, but they are vicious on the landscape. They add no extra flotation at all of course.
I've had 2 CTL now going on 4 years and had Ott never again will I to back to them there in a good place new sims metal
That's my thinking too, without a center roller I'm not sure how much flotation I'll get. That said - I just ordered a set of the camoplast HXD's and I'll give them a try. http://www.camoplastsolideal.com/construction-tracks/products/over-the-tire-tracks Looks like a different tread pattern than the ones you were looking at. I won't get them for a couple weeks but the first job will be on/near a beach so I'll let everyone know how they work out. Fingers crossed..
I've had a set of new camoplast HXD's OTT on my 2013 NH L220 since it was new. I got them specifically for both flotation on soft ground & for traction on soft ground & snow. Here are some photos... In very sticky mud or clay, the OTT tread will fill with mud, just like a tire, but they do provide much better flotation & lower ground pressure than just tires. I find that they also work pretty well in snow, & even on ice, but of course the best on ice is some kind of steel pins or studs. I did consider steel OTT for the exceptional traction, but I couldn't tolerate their viciousness on grass. The HXD tread is better on grass than the traditional lug or bar pattern, but they can still make a mess if you're not careful. IMO, the only better option for grass would be a Cat MTL or Terex/ASV with turf tracks.
OTT are good for a bit of extra flotation as they are wide than an average tyre and they are pulled tight from front to back so although there is no centre roller, the lower they are pressed onto surface the more area they create providing better flotation as you bog down HOWEVER they eat wheel bearings and axles so just be mindful of the extra maintenance there are 2 way you can set up ott #1 use wide offset std rims or spacers and std tyres to get clearance from the body and boom and put track over that now that is a cheap way to get into OTT it get you a little more ground clearance and a slightly faster machine but they take more hp to drive and change the loading geometry of our bucket #2 use the track manufactures low profile rims and smaller tyres the rims are already offset to suit the tyre+track combination this leaves the tracks at the same rolling diameter as the std tyres leaving you with a std machine dimension uses a little less power than std tyres+tracks and doesnt alter the loading geometery of your bucket
I have never liked the concept of solid rubber OTT's. What I see happening is rocks, debris and other nasty things getting the bottom of the track and being carried to the front or rear tire, over and over again. Between the tires, rubber track and the debris - one of them is going to give or accelerate wear on either the track, tire or both. The obvious part that would give or wear the fastest would be the rubber track, as rocks and debris would constantly be putting pressure and wear on the outside of the tire and the inside of the track. That's just my opinion and knowing my working conditions. Ran steel OTT's for years in the winter months and they worked great because there was no such thing as a CTL back then, well other than Takeuchi which was not a well known or represented brand in my area back then. The only problem we had with steel OTT's is getting flat and having to break everything down to fix it.
CM its funny that you say about wear cause in the environment they get used in here in Australia the side wall of the tyre its the thing that cops the most the tyre's will have a complete near new tread as will the inside of the track and the outer of the track will be worn to say 60% remaining and it will pop a tyre through the sidewall generally see 3 sets of tyres to a track
Learner, are you talking about the rubber OTT's or metal? I experienced the same sidewall wear with the metal OTT's. However it was not that significant as we ran them 3-5 months of the year, the other months without tracks finished off the tires normally.
Oops! Bought new "dog bones" and welded up the segment. Surprised my self, it's still working!
I still have two sets of metal OTT's at the shop.:cool2
No, I'm with ya. I wonder what would have happened to rubber ott's or the tire vs my Grouser ott's. I don't think it would be pretty.
:thumbsup
cm i see side wall wear with the rubber type OTT on 80-100% of them time
On the unit that I started this thread on, you can see very noticeable sidewall scuffing on the tires from the tracks. Don't know how much damage it is causing, but certainly present. And I can foresee that a rock getting wedged in the right spot could cause all manner of havoc.
My first impressions of the camoplast Solideal tracks. I had to modify my LS-170 some to get a good fit. It has a "fender" that runs over the tires and originally had a 45* drop along its length. I had to remove this to get enough clearance for the tracks. Zip disc in a 7" grinder went pretty fast and to look at the machine now you would never notice it's gone. I also had an aftermarket counterweight rack that I had to cut down and re weld. It originally would hold 3 weights per side, now it holds 2. No big deal since the 170 is only rated for 2 per side anyway. Other than that the install went smoothly. Solideal included a ratchet strap and decent instructions. My wife drove the machine for me and the first side took about 30 mins because of figuring out the right combination of links to get the proper fit. The second side took about 15 mins. I used the machine to top up an artificial beach that one of my customers has. We now have about 16" of masons sand on it so it is very soft. The machine moved around on it pretty well. Flotation and traction are greatly improved over the bare tires. Without the tracks I'd still be back there trying to get the machine out of the sand. Moving around on a lawn is much better too. You will still scrape the grass off of the soil, but you aren't digging ruts in the lawn nearly as bad. It's still not an ASV/Terex but it will let me get onto areas that I couldn't before.
Love mine this machine will go further into swamp land than my Gator now first track install wasn't that easy. made me think what prison rape must feel like other side took about 10 minutes