Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Some fun in the cold

Dr. Ernie · 2008-12-11 03:38

I am trying to post a pictur of some of the fun I have had recently this is one of a 3 8's left on the continent

Replies36
  1. #1Dr. Ernie2008-12-11 03:44

    Hey it worked!!! I can operate 50's iron I somehow managed to use 21 centry tecnology here is another tease, these pictures were not taken by me as I passed off the camera as I was busy using history

  2. #2Dr. Ernie2008-12-11 03:50

    I am working in Antartica for the next few months. I have a nice thread going over at Red Power Magazine.com it is in the coffee shop section under Stories and pictures from the land of the ICE. it is usaly in the first 2 pages. I have a hard enough time keeping up on 1 forum, so IF you are interested have a look.

  3. #3greywynd2008-12-11 09:34

    Pretty cool pictures! Must be having a warm spell, I see the cab door is open. Not many guys can say they've been to Antartica, let alone ran equipment of any sort there. Guess the local dealer is a bit of a drive?

  4. #4N.CarolinaDozer2008-12-11 10:47

    I've heard about work down there running equipment. How did you get that job, and what company? I'm interested in going some day.

  5. #5Northart2008-12-11 11:24

    Antarctica Pictures Hello Dr Ernie, Great to see some more pictures of the Antarctic . I see they have a double wide sled hooked up to the Stretch D8-14A . That's a 1st. Thanks for posting . :usa

  6. #6hvy 1ton2008-12-11 14:21

    Deere at the other Pole You wouldn't have any pics of the tracked JD 7820s that should be down there?

  7. #7buggyman2008-12-11 22:48

    Well,,, this is bigger equipment that the first tractor to go south. Anyone know what kind they were??? Paul P.S. Nice pics

  8. #8Dr. Ernie2008-12-12 01:52

    As far as the Green stuff, their is none to be had around here. As far as I am concearned all of the new crap should be shiped off of the continent. Electronics have LOTS of issues. Their is 3 D-8 R's here and they are ALWAYS broke the old H serries stuff is new enough. The sled that you see me hooked to stoped a D-8 R I backed to the drawbar took the slack out and walked off did not even spin a track. I am not shure if it was the operator or the iron. Everyone is envited to see the other pictures I have posted on The red power site, you do not need to regester to view the thread.

  9. #9Deas Plant2008-12-12 20:23

    First?????????? Hi, Buggyman. I'm not sure if they were the first or not but some of the very early tractors down in Antarctica were the grey British Fergusons fitted with Bombardier half-tracks and with a weather protection screen around the operator's position. The Australian expeditions had them down there for some years. I think there is one preserved here in the 'Mexico' part of DownUnder somewhere.

  10. #10N.CarolinaDozer2008-12-12 20:44

    Dr. Ernie, I'm not sure if you saw most post? I was wodering what company is down there and how to apply for such a job?

  11. #11buggyman2008-12-12 23:41

    Winner!!!! Yes Deas your the winner!!! The Fergusons were the first, I'm not sure where the story is about the first trek but it is very interesting to read. The Fergusons never failed them, not one breakdown. Now that is something to be proud of. Oh by the way, I have a 1953 TO-30 Ferguson that my dad rebuilt when I was 5 or 6, I've drove it all my life. Well dad didn't let me start driving it by myself until I could push the clutch in by myself. I learned to stand on the clutch and pull up on the steering wheel and then I had enough to get that pesky clutch in. So lets see, that would have been like 42 or 43 years ago. We did have breakdowns with our Fergy, every decade we would have to put a new battery in it! It feels like winter is here, it's snowing outside right now; the first of the season. Happy Holidays! Paul

  12. #12Dozer5752008-12-13 03:53

    In the first picture, whats the ripper belong to? Nice to hear the old stuff runs good there. How about the gensets? Are they old stuff too? Hmmm guess they don't worry about tier 3 or what ever there.

  13. #13OCR2008-12-13 14:22

    Some fun in the cold... Ya think??? LOL Take a look at this... before the last update, gust was 51 mph. http://rwis.mdt.mt.gov/scanweb/swfr...0&Siteid=263004&DisplayClass=Java&SenType=All Whoops, this should have gone in TGIF, I guess. OCR

  14. #14D6 Merv2008-12-13 19:52

    Stretch D8 Gidday Dr Ernie. I worked down there in the summer of 83/84 at McMurdo and there were quite a few D8s there then, heres some of the ones I can remember. Big John A stretch 14A D8 that had been fitted with a 18A D9 motor Mary Ann Pam Both stretch 14A D8s that had turbocharged D342 motors Two other stretch 14A D8s that had the standard 14A motor in them , they were stationed out at Willys field. Kimberly A late model D8K Fang A 36A D8H with a ripper on the back There was also another 36A D8 there but I think it belonged to to USARP. All the other machines belonged to the US Navy. There was also a D6D and several D4Ds there. At that time I worked for Gough Gough and Hamer; the New Zealand caterpillar dealer and we were sent down there to work for the US Navy to help maintain the cat equipment at the ice. At that time Mary Ann Pam and Fang had all just had major overhauls in NZ and had just been shipped back to the ice. I,d be interested to know how many of those girls are still there. Cheers Merv :drinkup

  15. #15LDK2008-12-13 20:59

    I took my father to the Massey factory about 6 years ago and they had 1 or maybe it was 2 of the tractors that had been in Antartica, on show. Not sure what would have happened to them when they moved production to Brazil? I do know that dad had a good day, hes a Fergie fanatic.

  16. #16Richardjw~2008-12-13 23:57

    One of the TE20 Antartic versions is located at the ** plant in Beauvais, France, in their visitors centre. Here's a link to the story..... http://www.fofh.co.uk/articles/pole.htm

  17. #17Sparffo2008-12-14 01:32

    Very interesting thread! And really nice pics uploaded! Was the 14a fitted with a D9 engine because of the heavy UC? at least they had plenty of room to fit it in, they could have put two D6 engines instead In Finland there are some ** and other brand tractors fitted with tracks, they use them when ditching peat bogs!

  18. #18alan627b2008-12-16 03:19

    Ernie, I hope you are staying warm out there! I found some pics of the North Slope pipeline project in Alaska, it looks extemely cold and isolated in some of the pics. Easy way to get in trouble! similar to your environment. here is the link http://images.google.com/images?nds...north+slope+oil+rush+source:life&start=0&sa=N Life magazine has put it's archive on Google, there are tons of old pics of equipment if you figure out where to look. Enjoy! alan627b Life Archive http://images.google.com/hosted/life

  19. #19Dr. Ernie2008-12-21 02:34

    Well, some of the names have changed. Pam is still pam she has the larger motor, it is currently down,(front idler bearing out) then their is pualeen?? I seem to think it was trisha or something like that, she was used to day, their is another one that has not been run yet this year, sitting at the heavy shop. Big john fell through the ice, and Mary Ann is in the bottom of a cravase, she fell in several years ago 10 or so They tried to retrive it, but the area was way to dangerous(keep finding more cravases) I was using pam earlier I liked her as she is in good condition and is all their she runs real well as well and most important of all sounds awesome... I am hoping to get her fixed soon, this week maybe?? Kimberly is still here, their is a D-8 coming on the ship I do not know if it is a H or a K. I do know that it was at the Kewi base and they are giving it to us(they owe us money) their is still 3 D-6D's here, and another that was compleatly rebuilt in NZ and is at the pole, as of 3 days ago. Their is 2 D-4's in the area. Not alot of the old stuff left. It is a shame as it is superior, to the new iron, their is 2 D-8R's here they are broke all of the time, and majior stuff often. Did you get out to Willie field much?? Do you rember a woman named Jules??? Uberagua she is still here, 30 years in a row this year, I work with her every day.....

  20. #20Dr. Ernie2008-12-21 02:43

    Rathyon is the current co. you will need to do some surfing to find the internet site, The cat agory does not always come up, just keep checking on it. Their might even be a spot open now. I belive that in march or so they will start looking for next years people. I belive that Ray jobs .com is the site. You want the polar services portion of the Co.

  21. #21D6 Merv2008-12-25 18:53

    Ice Hi Dr Ernie Pity to hear Big John and Maryann disapeered. I never did much at willys field, was mainly in workshop in mactown. We worked for Transportation a division of the US navy seabees. Two names I remember were Skip McGeorge; our commander; and a eskimo guy who had been there alot called Butch Badger. In those days the Navy ran the base, but there was alot of United States Antartic Research Program personnel there too. Jules may know those two names. 30 years is a hell of a long time to keep going back. What do they do for power now.? In my time "Penguin Power and Light" had eight D399 engines for gen sets, before that there was actually a nuke reactor for power, but they took that away before the greenies found out. Not suprised us poor broken arsed kiwis owe the US some money. In my time Scott Base had a late 46A D8H there, so you may be inheriting that. You should be thankful your not getting Ferguson half tracks or R model Bedford trucks as well as they were still in use down there too.:beatsme Cheers Merv :drinkup

  22. #22D6 Merv2008-12-26 16:00

    Ice Gidday Dr Ernie Found a few photos down there from 25yrs ago so will try and post them. Colleen was the name of another of the stretch D8s there. In 1984 there was 6 of them at McMurdo and possibly some at the pole.

  23. #23D6 Merv2008-12-26 16:14

    D8 Well that worked. 1st pic is some of the fleet. Kimberly the D8K behind a No12F grader then a LGP D6D and then a standard D6D 2nd one is Big John a D353 powered D8. There was 2 of these girls down there. I think they were factory fitted with the bigger engine for the original tractor trek of 500 miles to the south pole station in the late 50s. 3 is Fang a 36A D8H fresh home from a overhaul in NZ And the last 3 pics are Pam hauling fuel sledges to Willys field. Cheers Merv :drinkup

  24. #24MKTEF2008-12-27 15:32

    You know we did plant the flag on that pole first! There are some heavy equipment on the Norwegian station too. Norway started with all year round personell on their Troll station just some years ago. With that some extra equipment was transported down there. The first start of Troll was around 1990-91. The BV206 that where used that time had a trip back to Norway after the first round. Had my rumpsteak in one of them some years ago. Now they are back down there with some other equipment.(Army was involved because of the winter experience) They got Takeuchi excavators, JCB fasttrack, atlas Copco drillrigg, some pisten bullys, cars, snowmobiles and a couple of BV206. Have added some pics of the equipment Norway got there. That container handler on a sledge is not seen so many other places. Leonard Nilsen & Sønner (LNS) has the contract on construction down there. They got the job because of their expertice from Svalbard.(near the other pole) Pics show some of their equipment. pic 4 is from the airstrip. They are using ilusjin 76 to fly in equipment...

  25. #25Dozerboy2008-12-27 17:57

    A hot tub... no way LOL

  26. #26d6peg2008-12-27 18:43

    Looks like that water in the hot tub has a yellow tint to it.

  27. #27637slayer2008-12-27 22:46

    cool pics and stories, i work with a guy who talks about working there back in the eighties, clearing an airstrip, he said they would just push snow so planes could land, by his stories some of the best times in his life. i will get some info from him this week, see exactly where and when he worked.

  28. #28Lashlander2008-12-27 23:44

    Its the beer. Awesome pictures guys.

  29. #29Greg2008-12-28 12:21

    why the big space between the cab and hood on the 8?

  30. #30Dozer5752008-12-29 02:48

    So no new stuff down thar. Completely rebuilt OLD ones????? D8's that is. ???? Why?????

  31. #31Construct'O2008-12-29 12:44

    I'll take a guess? I would think it was for the special long and wide undercarriage? Not the standard system that you usually see. So because of that they had to extend the frame for the long tracks,and extend the final drives for the wide tracks also.Trying to get the least LGP for the weight of the machine,since it was going to be used on the ice. Just a guess:beatsme:usa

  32. #32Construct'O2008-12-29 12:47

    The above post was for this question.Sorry:usa

  33. #33tylermckee2008-12-29 17:52

    i've always been curious what the pay is like for an operator down there. i've heard that it isnt z whole lot different than than working up here, as there is a lot of people willing to work there.us any truth in that?

  34. #34Raytheon2011-05-18 18:25

    Heavy Equipment Mechanic (2011-2012) Raytheon Polar Services – Experience Antarctica Seeking a unique adventure as well as employment? How would you like to be one of the few people on the planet to have the opportunity to live and work in Antarctica? Raytheon Polar Services is the primary contractor for the National Science Foundation’s (NSF) U.S. Antarctic Program. We are currently looking for a Heavy Equipment Mechanic to deploy to the McMurdo or South Pole Antarctic research stations on a contract basis beginning approximately August/October 2011. We are also looking for Heavy Equipment Mechanics to work in remote field camps along with mechanics to work on the South Pole Traverse during the austral summer season (October – February). Mechanics working in remote locations may perform work under severe conditions. The ideal applicant must be able to work independently and safely. There are three contract lengths: Summer - (Approximately) October through February, Winter - (Approximately) February through October, or Year-Long - (Approximately) October through October. We are looking for Primary and Alternate employees to fill all contract positions. The Primary is first in line for the position. The Alternate is next in line to deploy should the Primary be unable to meet deployment requirements. Responsibilities: You will be responsible for diagnosing, troubleshooting, repairing, and maintaining construction and heavy support equipment. In this position you will be responsible for repairing a variety of equipment such as: Caterpillar bulldozers, loaders, generators, Foremost heavy ATVs, Case IH & Cat tractors, Pisten Bully & Tucker snow-cats, heavy trucks, trailers, and sleds from the past 40 years comprising the world's most varied equipment fleet. Corrects deficiencies in components and ancillary equipment. Repairs equipment in shop or in field locations. Performs service, maintenance, repair and overhaul in accordance with manufacturers’ recommendations. Responsible for ensuring that safety is the highest priority in the workplace. Performs equipment repairs in response to maintenance requests. Repairs heavy equipment, removing/replacing components. Uses diagnostic procedures and test equipment to identify and correct equipment faults. Performs mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, electric, and electronic analyses and diagnoses. Operates shop equipment including cranes, welders, compressors, presses, grinders, heavy hand tools, and tire servicing equipment. Lifts, moves and/or installs heavy parts and assemblies safely, using basic tooling and PPE. May perform work outside under severe weather conditions. Maintains a clean, orderly and safe working area. Works rotating shifts as required 24 hours/day. Assists other mechanics and members of the VMF team as required. Documents all work performed including diagnosis, root cause, labor and parts. Conducts research, orders parts, and maintains records. Prepares reports as required. Required Qualifications: High school diploma or equivalent is required. A valid driver’s license is required. Requires a minimum of five years experience in heavy equipment maintenance and repair. Desired Qualifications: Two years training at a technical school is highly desirable. State inspector certifications, ASE certifications, and dealership certifications a plus. Experience on a broad range of construction equipment and specifically Caterpillar tractors preferred. Certification in structural welding along with the ability to work independently and safely in remote locations is desired. Wilderness First Responder certification is desired for mechanics working field camps. Additional Polar Info: All contract positions include competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. For the time you are in Antarctica compensation also includes travel to and from the ice, room & board, and you are eligible for a performance-based bonus upon successful completion of your contract. FYI – Only authorized personnel are allowed on station and you need to remain on station for the duration of your contract except in case of emergency. Check out our website at http://rpsc.raytheon.com . All applicants must be able to provide proof of U.S. or New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency once employment is offered and pass strict physical, dental, and psychological (for winter-over positions) examinations in order to qualify for deployment. Offers of employment are also contingent upon ability to pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check. Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action. All employees must also comply with applicable safety, environment, health, and waste management policies and procedures. If you like to live on the edge and are interested in this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity – go to RayJobs.com and apply today. Raytheon is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.

  35. #35Harry2012-02-16 03:31

    My old man went on the cat train last winter in Nunavut. He ran a d85 komatsu, most of the hauling was don by chalenger tracked tractors. He made the trail with the D85. 250km one way. He hauled a sea can behind him with food, a bed, tools and fuel. every week he made it to one of the base camps the get more supplies and good rest. He was out their for a few months. He liked it but now that he has done it he wont go back.

  36. #36Nitehawk2842012-02-16 17:44

    Thanks for shareing. Still dont think I coulf take the colh.LOL