Forum memeber Jdigger4130 sent me these pics to post for him, and for all of us to enjoy. I'm not quite sure where these machines are at, mabey he'll come along and fill us in. First up is an old Cletrac. Looks like you need a helper monkey to run this thing!
Now this machine has me baffeled! I would love to find out some more information about it. I dont know if its a early feller buncher, or a slide boom processor of some kind. Any info would be great!
Heres some random pics.
Now these aren't straight up logging machines, but they are crawlers, and just very nice to see restored like they are. These are located in Woodland, CA at the Heidrick Ag Museum.
Good history and nice pictures. My dad logged in the 50's and I used to go with him at times. But I never saw anything that old (except my dad!). This month he turns 92. ernie
Photo #3 is the first McGiffert loader I have ever seen that is still in existence. I strongly suspect that the McGiffert design played heavily in the design of the Lidgerwood Tower Skidders. Nice pic. Thanks!
I saw pic of something like this in the loggers world years ago, I believe it grabbed the tree, sheared it, de-limbed, and piled. kind of a "feller buncher delimber" combo
double drums for yarding usually rigged to a tree. popular gypo machine around ww2 time
I did some Gooling today and found a little bit of info about the machine. Its a Beloit Tree Harvester, from the early 60's. It actually de-limbed the standing tree, then sawed it off and piled it. Beloit made a grapple skidder and a log loader to round out the package for the new mechanical logger! The Cletrac makes since now. I looked at the pics again and after you said that, the light came on! Thanks.
Here's a couple more pictures Justin sent me of the harvester. Very interesting machine indeed. Way to advanced for its time I suppose. By the way, these machines are located near Klammath Falls, Oregon at a museum.
Thanks Jason, The loggin display was A bit north of K Falls and has tons of OLD iron and supporting cast. I went through there in march and NOBODY was there so I was unable to really learn anything other than it was cold! I would highly endorse checking it out as there are lots more gems in the place for ol timers to peep! Of interest as well is some logs that I had no idea how BIG the species of pine were! The jalopies guys used to wrestle A pay check... Nothing short of amazing!! The museum in Woodland I can tell you is truly AMAZING as far as restored tractors go. If your wantin to see some really really old serial nmbrs.. They got em! Trucks as well! Being from N Cali I was really into the fact that they have one of the last/first Fageol Peterbilt (the weird docent says) which I did actually find incorrect more than once! I am gonna learn how to shrink my pics down soon so I have more of the early stuff to share and LOTSA semis from the 50s-well hell current!
Heres a couple pics of some niceley restored old log trucks Justin sent.
I love old machinery. If I am ever in the area I will have to hit up that museum. My son would love it as he has all kinds of old toy equipment. Nadeem
Great pictures! I wonder if these pics would be better in the Antique Logging Tools or Machinery thread (just a thought) thinking they may get lost in the back of the pack...
I never even thought of that thread, Murk. I remember it know though that you mentioned it. Its funny how these threads get forgoten about. Especially if you just look at them and not make a post. Oh well. Mabey next time!
Here's an old Cletrac I took a picture of at the Oregon Logging Confrence 2 years ago. It looks to be about the same size as the one at the museum.
I have a very good logging equipment book,this is in it. Beloit Harvester-Built in Minnesota by Bob Larson and a photo that shows one working in 1964, I cant post yet though
I believe it's called Collier state park. It's a neat place if anyone is ever in that area. It's worth checking out.
"Beloit Harvester-Built in Minnesota by Bob Larson " . Mr. Larson had projects in Wisconsin, Minnesota and a development office and shop here in Thunder Bay. The Beloit Harvester was a unique feller buncher , it attached itself to a tree trunk , delimbed the tree with its multi section boom , loped the top off , then sheared the tree at the butt and stacked the tree length in bunches for forwarding . Never saw one working , except in an Expo '67 video at Ontario Place , 1967 Worlds Fair. Information about Mr.Larson's work is quite sketchy
last year,Campbell River,B.C.
CR Alltrucks Tom closed the doors and sold the property so all that stuff is gone now Too bad was always good to go up and visit and BS with him Still phone and BS with him but another sign of the times
old trailer and a Scagit SJ4 still intact photo in nov,2010
Welcome to the forums Skadill! Good to see you on here! I found this contraption in Princeton BC a few winters ago, looks like an old D7 with a yarder setup.
Great stuff guys! Musta been part octopus to manage all the early controls. We only rent stuff and if it isnt set to Deere controls... It does not go smooth aT ALL!!
yarder, pic taken 2010
Salt Spring Island B.C. Treasures,taken summer 2010
Look at that old growth moss on that sweet looking old 46A! The greenie's would hang you if you was to fire that old girl up and take it for a spin!
This old Cat and arch is sitting along side Hiway 95 in New Meadows, ID. Next to J.I. Morgan Loggings shop.
Recipe for good logging iron photos.Step one ark fully functional logging machine,throw key away.Step two:Wait minimum of ten years,let mother nature garnish it nicely with green moss,and rain damage.Step three come back and become enthralled with the mystery and unknown history of item.Step four:Take picture and make people day here! top photo nov,2010,bottom a couple years ago,Log rigging and off highway trailer was a quick change set up for a Moxy 6 by 6 rock truck
OLD GROWTH MOSS!!!!??? Laughin out loud fellas!!!! and down home recipes on how to "patina" iron. I AM IN THE RIGHT PLACE!!
White Log Truck Took in 92' at Hope B.C. in the Silver Scagit valley.Last insured in 72 or73,long gone now.probably cut up a dozen or more years ago
The logging musem at collier state park is very cool, they used to have a big to do there with blacksmiths, crosscut saw competions, tree climbing and all of the sorts. It used to be in early summer. I dont know if they still do it becuase of budget cuts and such. It also used to be free, and I dont know if it is. It is located on HWY 97 around 35 miles north of K-Falls. I used to go to grade school in the town nearest to it, we always to a class field trip there every year. (you would not guess I got out of grade school there with my grammer and spelling) Crater lake is within a few miles of it also, like fifty or something. makes a great vaction
A 'BackYarder' Homemade tower,gas powered.Taken last fall 2010,machine is gone now,glad I finally snapped its memory as it may be no more by now.
Heres some more for your veiwing plesure!
Big Piece of Iron This is the old "Straits Waterskidder", one of the first generation of purpose built self dumping log barges. They had a genset and pumps to fill tanks on one side, tipping the barge to dump. The barge would skid to one side as it dumped, hence the name. They were loaded using either shore based cranes, or large floating cranes. I believe this barge was built in 1957 or 58. The next generation of barges were wider, but they were all rendered obsolete when the self loading, self dumping barges came out. They found new careers hauling rock and gravel, with sides added. Some haul lumber. This one is back hauling logs, though she no longer self dumps. They load it with the big 650 sitting on the deck. At one time, she had a big Washington crane and was a self loader, but I don't know what became of it. As you can see, barges have very rough lives!
More.......
Is this barge that rolled over in Port Alice about 10 12 years ago? She rolled over when dumping and when they tryed to roll her back over she sank. It had a loader on it at the time she rolled but when they did get her back up no crane! It sat there with the bow up in the air for a month or two,before they got her all the way up
Saltspring Island,B.C. taken summer 2010
That could be, I heard a rumour that this barge had sunk at some point. It certainly looks like it spent time on the bottom. That loader has "CANFOR LOG YARD" and "Fort St. John, BC" on the side.
KW850&T800H Found This Truck, Asked Me to Post the Pictures......... Possibly a LW924?
Thanks Clint!
Think you will find it is a 923. We have a LW924 and the cab is a bit different. I posted a youtube link to it on the trucking down under thread.
This is a "Canadian Kenworth," built in Canada, used in Canada, might be different because it's in North America.
Cabs on all KW's were the same at the time that truck was built. Well, except for the cab over engine trucks. The same cab was used right up to the chain drive 888.
Any History on this name?Took this last year.
Yep, ours was brought in from Canada by NZ Forest Products. I understand the basic cab was the same right through. I'm looking at the small differences. I.e mounting and type of roof lights, mounting of horn, different door handles and different quarter windows. This truck appears older than ours though I am no expert. Here are a couple of videos of our old girl. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KgWHhRklG0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na0ypZw4mZw enjoy
Some old KW trucks. 3rd pic shows KW that had a steel spar
Thats some nice equipment for how old it is
last fall photos
Thanks Skadill, I can look at ol logging iron all day long and imagine the stuff it had to do!! VERY COOL
Bone yard & lost some old pices of iron out there!
In pic #2, is that an American grade shovel? What's the story?
Good eye, yes it went over the bank as an insurance deal is what I heard, was up in Goat Lakes H branch which is right behind were the camp was. Andy Byrne saved it, they secured it from above with some lines then built a road in below it, backed in the lowbed then lowered it on, don't remember if he made a loader with it or not. I'll ask him or Ronny when i go out this summer.
3rd pic that was the spar carrier is still alive however is just a cab n chassis now. Apparently still runs. I'll post a couple pics,
Hayesno1 That KW you posted above unit # A135--I bought her some time back and am going to cut her off behind the cab and weld her rear frame assy to the frame on the "Lipper" so she will be a tandem again Got a 8-71 green leaker in her. Now before all you KW fans go nuts here Let me tell you that she is in tougher shape than she looks. The entire roof is rotted away and all the rain was captured inside the cab, I will leave the rest up to your imagination as to what that part of her looks like!!!!
Yes, the old KW cabs were definitely a weak point. The roof always seems to be rotted out, and if I remember right, part of the floor is 3/4" plywood! The aluminum doors, however, seem to last forever. I'm surprised that Hayes and Pacific didn't use aluminum doors, they seemed like a good idea.
Some amazing pics in here. Its a shame to see all this go to waste. Makes me wish I had the money to go save and restore all of these.
HDX; Looking forward to see and "hear" old Lipper with twin screw again. I only got one pic of the old KW last year. I can see you have put a tarp around her poor cab!
More KW It's actually a 923, here are more pics:
And a Hayes Clipper....Year? And it has a yarder set up on the back without the pole, make of the yarder?
A homemade yarder, video of it on the youtube channel link in my signature: Also, Cummins 6 cyl. motor. It's bent because it flipped over and a small fire started.
More pics of the yarder tomorrow. Detailed ones, trakloader has been saying it might be parts from a Sparmatic, Skagit and maybe a Tyee, and ebb a Lawrence pole. I'll post more pics so you experts can let me know.
I never said anything about a Lawrence pole... It's definitely a Sparmatic, and I'd say a Skagit yarder. The forward portion has been somewhat altered, probably the owner didn't like standing up to drive.
I remember you saying Lawrence pole...and possibly. It's a cooler machine than you or I expected to find.
Oh, no, no no.... I said the yarder was possibly a Lawrence 36, since it appeared to have the straw drum on the right. When the last pic loaded, I saw it was the mainline friction. No Lawrence. Though Lawrence did design the Sparmatic.
Oh I see. Well I'll post more pics tomorrow. Much cooler machine than I expected.
No kidding, I was expecting something totally homemade.
Me too until you said Sparmatic! I'm so interested now! I can't wait to talk to the "modifier".
Some more:
That's all I have, more next time!
Old spar carrier, u can still read Comox Rail & Logging , Crown Zellerbach on the door
Diamond T
That Diamond T is awesome, can you drive her up for me?
She actually still runs like a top Trakloader, the old Cummins is a little smoky though! I forget the name of the trans. It's an air shift the same as some older yarders used with a 2 spd aux.
What is it, an old 220?
I believe so, no turbo
Lots of them old Cummins engines were smoky, anyway. A friend of mine had a 220 on his sawmill, and every time he fed a log through it a foot of flame came out the stack.
Now that's cool!
Actually more like white hot, the pistons eventually melted.
Interior pic of Diamond T, Wilson air shift trans
That would look really nice sitting at home here next to my Diamond T (1936 212 BD) Cory...(Pacific Truck 1977-1987)
It would look much more better beautifying my yard!
I think Ferret armoured cars had Wilson transmissions. Does it have a conventional clutch?
Trakloader, this might interest you - an old KW logging brochure from 1952
Last 2 sides from 1952 KW brochure
Does have a clutch, but just for lifting off.
Scotty 12; That Diamond T looks great here are few more shots of her and the KW as well
I wonder what this is - some kind of carriage?
last pic looks like a dozer without tracks
It looks like possibly an early type of track drill.
That thing was built on a M4 High Speed tractor, someone probably went nuts with the remains of a Finning M4 tank drill.
That bronze plate had something on it to do with that bent valve opener I showed in the video, I believe from memory, I believe it said the left was open and do not have it open in travel or something like that. I'll read and record what it says next trip (May long weekend).
I'd assume that some of the old time loggers might have some pictures. Some equipment that I've seen are Dominion, Insley, And the oldest that I've seen Thew Lorain. The oldest truck that I've seen was an old Mack chain drive that was in Mahatta river.
The land that Vancouver Iron Engineering Works was located on is now condos. Tyee machinery on Granville the last time I was down there it was not the shop that built and rebuilt logging equipment.As well there was an old multi-drum machine with large iron wheels parked on the east fence bordering on B C Equipment that looked like a Lidgerwood. Does anyone have any idea what happened to this machine? This machine was on Arrow Transfer property.
There was a magazine named "Hiballer" in the Oct. 1967 there is an article on Frank L. Lawrence. The article was 3 pages in length. In the same article there appeared a story on Ballon logging and transport. In the May 1968 there was an article about the logging in the soon to be the Vancouver watershed. In the May 1968 was an article about bunkhouse etiquette. Hiballer November 1967 had an article about early float camps. The April 1968 article in the Hiballer dealt with the fire at Moody's Mill. The magazine "Raincoast Chronicles" had many articles about early logging.
I would like to get hold of one of the old city maps to see what the hell was where. I recently saw a photo that showed the Tyee name on one of the major sheds - or so my brain seems to remember. I do remember that old piece of equipment. They probably removed it because it was deemed to be a hazard to the public...
Tyee was located across from the old restaurant at an intersection if my memory serves me correctly.
I will look all over that Sparmatic next trip. Also, I know true owner of it really well, I can ask him all sorts of questions. Where it came from etc. What else would you like to know about it? Trakloader thinks it's one of the first small Sparmatics, and it's one of maybe 6 produced. Certaintly an amazing find.
Ask the guy where he found the basic machine. Trakloader says that there were actually very few alterations made to it. I'm curious about the tower as well - is it telescoping? Too bad the museum for Granville Island shows so little of what actually happened there previously. That is, the museum or interpretation centre showed very little of anything. I'll have to defer to your knowledge about what was where. I do remember seeing a VIEW sign jammed up against a wall in one of the parking garages, even though VIEW must have been further down the way.
I could be mistaken, but if memory serves me right View was at the north end of the oak street.
Alright, will do! Thanks.
Crap! I have the issue right after the one with Frank Lawrence in it! Do you have them? I think I speak for many of us, when I say we would love to read them! The old Hiballer was a great magazine, especially Len Whalen's cartoons!
I'm going to make the effort in mid-May to hit the archives at the Vancouver City Museum and try dig up some info on Frank Lawrence and his engineering exploits - time permitting. All you fine individuals who have taken the effort to post what you have, have put the fire under my ass, so to speak. Thanks for your efforts.
i also think that Granville island was under the control of the National harbours board. I would also try to get a hold of the B C Hydro railway.
Chokerman - you're almost as close as me to these places - and you seem to know where to look. I already got skunked on my hot lead in regards to the Tyee archives last month and I don't want to repeat that discouraging episode again. I've got to focus my efforts on only a few things right now. Trakloader has supplied me with a bunch of addresses and places to check out already and I'll have to quit my day job to start looking at more. If I had enough time, there would not be an archive untouched in these here parts.... I'm also going to be heading over to Port Alberni for a good looksie when the weather improves.
Jackd, when you get to Port, ask around about a old Northwest Model 6 grade shovel that is supposed to be there. I understand that it runs and everything, old M&B unit.
There is one sitting here In Port McNeill at Waltons shop, if I get a chance this weekend will take some pictures and post.
I've been looking for a 750 American grade shovel for our museum, but I'd take a Model 6 NW as second choice.
Just been doing some research, I think Nigel's Sparmatic is one of the early ones made at Lawrence's Gearmatic plant in Newton, BC. It seems that the first ones were built there in 1959, before VIEW started building them.
Oh really, how did you find this out!?
Well, if I told you, ............:guns
LOL, and if you don't tell me...........:guns back!
:cussing
Model 6 in Port McNeill
More model 6
Last ones
Wow, that's great, 075! Thanks so much for getting them pictures! Could you flash her up and load her on a barge for me??
I tried to move a few levers no way!!! rusted up pretty bad, motor might run though.Tevor said it run good when they parked it
northwest Old murphy powered Northwest,used for decades dewatering logs of the river,has been idle a few years now
When was that, 1975? :tong The levers would probably free up, we freed up an old 22B Bucyrus that looked even worse than that. Took a few cans of Moovit, and a block of wood. What is the status of the machine? Slated for the torch? Or just in limbo?
I am not sure it was their dads, will ask the boys the next time I see one of them. As far as I know there are no plans for it.It was parked like they wanted it to move again, most of the brakes are off and the what I could see clutch linings look not to bad but the clutch and brake flanges and linkages are very rusty.Gear train is very good looking with lots of geardope still on them.the whole machine is mechanicail no air assist on any thing.
Yes, they had no air assist at all, they used the "Feathertouch" system where you pull the main lever, which tightens up a little band on a turning drum, with the band hooked to the friction linkage. Sort of power assisted controls. The Northwest also used a sort of automatic crowd, the hoist line was anchored around the crowd drum so that the the harder you lifted the stick, the harder the bucket pushed into the work. Good for rock. Also, the NW had the swing/travel lever on the right. Almost everyone else had it on the left.
In the early 80's I worked a bit under such a drum set mounted on the back of a Alis Chalmers with a steel a frame near Vernonia, Oregon. We called it the "cripple drum".
Bucyrus Erie 22B with D318 Cat Engine This old Bucyrus 22B was built in 1937. It ended its days building gyppo logging roads in the late 90's. It was finally abandoned when the hoist rope broke, and the owner didn't have any more to replace it.
More 22B.
Old D7 My friend checking out the old D7 17A. This one would still run, it was carefully put to bed.
Old Yarder Couldn't read the model number on this little Skagit. It had a four cylinder Cummins.
is all this equipment in the Queen Charlottes?
Indeed, it is.
I'd love to restore that d7 for my front yard.
Hi, That looks to be in good condition for something that been sitting so long. What make is that truck, I don't reconize it. Maybe not I'm not old enough. Thanks Doug.
Hi , sorry about this. I was referring to the red logging truck and trailer back on page 3 . Thanks doug.
White Motor Company
Old TJ Skidder Taken last summer, Saltspring Island,B.C.
I had one very similar to this, but newer, think it was a 225. It was an Eaton-Timberjack. It's still some 205's with the same style "Timberjack" sign on the side of the hood used in my area, I will see if I can get some pic's.
I can already tell you, that Timberjack has way too much tread on its tires to have ever been used in the woods in Eastern North Carolina. Around here, the winch was our friend.
Old Yarder Minus its Tower, Etc. Old Madill spar with Skagit BU-80 yarder. It seems that Can-Car assembled the Skagit yarders in Canada?
More old yarder pics. The lower engine was a 275 Cummins, upper was a 320. Both supercharged, but the chargers are long gone. The truck was a KW 588, with Knuckey chain drive. Tires are 14.00-24.
More old spar. Danged thing almost killed my camera, the door fell off and grazed it.
Last ones. I think this may have been the machine Contract Logger ran after the boiler finally got condemned on his 10x12 Washington.
Old QCI Iron More old iron.
One more........
May 2011 A classic Taylor lift with custom counterweight at the local mill, and ANOTHER Lawrence Model 10-10.
Gallion Old Gallion crane. I think this was a 1964 model.
Bucyrus-Erie This old 22B does many odd jobs around the QC Islands. Pile driving, bridge repairs, etc. etc. I didn't know that it was built in Canada for BE by Maritime Steel and Foundry in New Glasgow Nova Scotia. That's what the builder's plate says.
That bit of yellow in the last picture looks nice!
Huh. I didn't even bother taking a picture of that, so many backhoes on here already, and they all look the same. Here is a big chunk of old iron, the "STRAITS WATERSKIDDER" getting loaded with poles today.
Is that Randy O'Brian's barge?
That's the one, "The Incredible Hulk".
Amazing stuff on here.....simply brilliant guys
old gear more food for my camera
Haven't gotten close enough to know what it is,it's in the rail and logging museum at Prince George
another from the same place
First picture is a Letorneau log stacker. The tower in the second picture would seem a bit lost around Prince George. Its not really yarder country. There is a lot of interesting stuff at the museum in PG.
I've actually seen a few yarding shows in the bush around here recently,on relatively flat ground....not sure what they are thinking.
An old Tree farmer C5 With a 3-53 Detroit in it. And an old but great running Cat 966B. I have video on my youtube channel of both. In depth and good views video. The link to my channel is in my signature.
You sure that's a B ? A number of years back I was looking for a new cab to replace the fiberglass 2 piece windshield job on ours and finning swore up and down that a C cab wouldnt fit.
Oops! Sorry, C, my bad, got confused cause of the Tree Farmer being a B.
Huge Skookum block Found this one in the weeds being guarded by a large snake! It's actually pretty big, at least 3-4 foot tall I think.
I have some pictures of an old track logging arch.............getting them loaded on here is interesting......... Do we have a thread on here on "Loading Pictures for Dipsticks" ?
Try FAQ, it explains how to upload photos to the site
Old Logging Arch on Tracks........... Well, I guess my files are too big.........so I guess I need to cut'em down to size. I'm going to figure out how to do this Mr HEF.......your size limitations will not stop me........I will figure this out. I have no more hair to pull out. To shrink my files..............an axe or a grinder won't do it..........maybe a torch. Thank you skimoe55....I not where I want to be but thank GOD I'm not where I used to be. One foot forward.. 5 inches back.
I know this is kind of last minute, but there is a historic steam logging demonstration this weekend north of Battle Ground, WA. I have heard it is pretty neat to see but havent made it up there yet. I plan to go up and see it Saturday afternoon. Looks like you can get more info at www.pomeroyfarm.org or 360-686-3537
Had a great time, will upload some pictures here this weekend. Highly recommend it to anyone interested in old equipment. I did upload several videos to youtube, first one is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lkI58SD3eY
Pomeroy Farm Steam Logging Show 1 Pomeroy Farm Steam Logging Show 1
Pomeroy Farm Steam Logging Show 2 Pomeroy Farm Steam Logging Show 2
Pomeroy Farm Steam Logging Show 3 Pomeroy Farm Steam Logging Show 3
Pomeroy Farm Steam Logging Show 4 Pomeroy Farm Steam Logging Show 4
Pomeroy Farm Steam Logging Show 5 And a really big block to finish it off.
This stuff is awesome JM70!! I woulda loved to have seen this show!!!! Thanks for posting this stuff up I can just hope they have er next year
Thanks I had alot of fun, did you check out the videos on You-tube? I shot them with my phone, but they came out halfway decent I think? i believe they have it every year, this is just the first time I remembered and caught it.
Yer utube handle the same? I would love to see so lemme know! I am online for 45 more minutes then have an appt but will be looking!
Try this link for one and you should see the rest linked, my user name on youtube is jjeremyryy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lkI58SD3eY
Thanks JeremyM70 I love the pictures of how it once was done. Cool shot of the tracked log arch. There is one here in Orick, California, I have pictures of it but I still haven't figured out the picture resizing.......when I do I'll post it. I didn't get to be around a tracked arch being used, all the arches we used were rubber tired........used them clear up into the '8os. Thanks again.......cool truck, cool Cat.........cool cool cool!
That old White with chrome stacks looks like an off-highway truck. I believe I saw a Cletrac as well. Great pics!
Yeah every once in a while you see a tracked or wheeled arch rusting away in the brush around here. They did have a wheeled arch at the show being pulled by the small cat. Trucks were cool as well! The had a cable shovel unloading the trucks, but I couldnt get close enough to see what is was for sure or get any good pics or video.
Steam Era Logging Show On July 23 the Timber Heritage Association is having the annual steam era logging show at Samoa, Calfornia. It probably not as big or complete as the Pomoroy Farm show, but they have steam and diesel lokies, one of which is sitting in the same spot in the roundhouse it had when it was new in 1902! They also have the first Caterpillar tractor to arrive in Humboldt county, a Cat 60. I'm not positive, but it looks real similar to the one in one of the "Old Iron" threads on the forum. They've got an old diesel two drum yarder (did'nt get close enough to get the make). Each of the six cylinders are separate from the other. The engine is about 10-12 feet long. There will be train rides and exhibits...........Being technically challenged as I am, I don't know how to post a link but the website is timberheritage.org............cool stuff for history buffs.
I see ya put Blue Lake as yer home, My uncle John Lima(redwood forest products) is my uncle and Darcy my aunt lives there too! I am gonna try n make the show on the 23rd.. Thanks for putting this up! I had no idea
Cool! I know John quite well, a real fine man he is. As a matter of fact we are rigging a couple of pull trees for John tomorrow............talk about timing! John has a top notch reputation, he shoots straight and does good work. I don't know anyone who doesn't like him. I know alot of people that have worked for him over the years, they all have good things to say about him. Hope to see you there.........take care.
Old Mack, not sure of trailer
camp 6 10-2-11 tacoma news tribune : western forestry industries museum has sold the camp 6 collection. the lidgerwood skidder, the shay lokey, the donkeys, will be moved to wiilits,california isx525
Well, if it means they will once again get the care and upkeep they deserve, I suppose that's a good thing. Life goes on. It broke my heart to see the shape the Lidgerwood Skidder was in. It has a special meaning to me. The donks were pretty sad as well, last I saw of them. I believe the Shay spent most of its time under the shed, so it should be in pretty fair shape.
How many Lidgerwood Skidders still exist? Any pics around of this one?
it's the only one. it was donated to camp 6 by weyco longview. it is sad that the lidgerwood & donkeys (Willamette yarder/ Washington duplex) were getting run down. the shay hadn't been run for several years do to needing boiler work (they used give rides with a flat car) I will see if I can find a picture of the Lidgerwood isx
There is another one in West Virginia, but it is not all original. I hear it was cobbled up from several different types of machines, but is similar. I agree, the one at Camp 6 is the only original Lidgerwood Skidder still in existence. It was used at Weyco's Vail camp, as Number 5 Skidder I believe.
Some picture of the one going to California here (though I think it belonged in Washington): HeavyEquipmentForums
I believe the design of the Lidgerwood Skidder may have come from the more modern version of the McGiffert Loader. It too rode on the rails, and was jacked up and blocked. The whole swinging boom assembly on the Lidgerwood looks very similar. They obviously started out fresh with the design, but it's food for thought. This machine was an important turning point in logging equipment design IMO. Scroll down just a little ways in this thread and you will see a pic of a McGiffert Loader dated 1911: http://www.foresthistory.org/research/Biltmore_Project/SchenckMssImages.html I suspect the Lidgerwood could only yard or load, but not both together. Possibly a valve to select either task. Does anyone know for sure? I agree, it should stay in Washington. But at least it will probably see better upkeep where it's going. You can also see the Lidgerwood from the air on Google Maps and other satellite images. Just look up Point Defiance Park, and head away from the shore. The semi-rusted boom, sadly, sticks out like a turd in a swimming pool. The only other remaining example of a Lidgerwood Skidder is at the Cass Scenic Railroad in Cass, WV. As I said, it was cobbled up from several machines, and is not a true specimen.
lidgerwood the lidgerwood yarded and loaded all at once . here is a picture of one at white river lumber (weyco) last used in 1953. interestingly, I hauled logs through this setting about 8 years ago,after it had been logged again!
Now THAT is an outstanding photo, and you just answered a question that has been nagging me for some time. That would take a lot of steam, to yard and load at the same time. Now I know. Thanks. The dozer looks like a Cletrac. Did you know Ford Bentley from Weyco White River? He took a promotion in about '68 or '69, and went to work for my dad at Vail as Cutting Crew Supervisor. I bought my first saw from him, an ancient Homelite 5-30N that came from White River.
no, I would have been in 1st grade about that time !! I got the picture from a retired weyco surveyor (friend of the family) isx
Well, that is going to be an interesting move, given the weight of the Lidgerwood. When it gets set up at Willits it will be closer so I can go see it again. I think I was at the current location about twelve years ago and it was in pretty good condition then. My Dad worked around a Lidgerwood at one time when he was just starting out in the woods. He said it was a dangerous machine to be around because of all the cables required of a combined yarding/loading machine. Willamette Iron & Steel of Portland OR starting making a very similar machine back in the day and I have some really nice photos of one in a book that is a factory photo. The problem was that they were just too similar and Lidgerwood sued them. Willamette decided to just give up the effort rather than figure out a solution to the infringement issues, so only a few were ever built by Willamette.
I've seen pics of the Wilamette, but never heard of any that were saved from the scrappers.
Here is an old lowboy left behind from the off-highway days. Near Oso, Wa.
old school sweet the back end swivels with tires?
Waiting for ? Some iron sitting out there, woundering if it will ever go back to work
30-b
evan though its not a true skidder there is a Lidgerwood steel tower at the cass scenic railroad
That's Number 3 Skidder from Weyco's Vail camp. More photos at rustygrapple.com. Last I checked, it's still in pieces at Roots of Motive Power Museum in Willits, CA. http://www.rootsofmotivepower.com/ For those who don't know, the photos above were taken at the Camp 6 Logging Museum at Point Defiance Park in Tacoma, while the museum was still in business.
I'm about an 8 hour drive away from Cass, WV, and plan to go there some day. http://www.cassrailroad.com/
insley model l an old insley cable hoe turned line loader
Reo Line truck --Gyppo Engineered Old cabover, White maybe? Homemade Linewinder, V8 and a 4spd
Old yarder, mounted on an lowboy trailer similar to the one I posted above. Main drum has to be near 4' in diameter. Powered by a naturally aspirated V16 detriot. No identifying marks, but the drums look a lot like older Skagit drumsets that I have seen. Door on an old international, same place.
Off highway Peterbilt near Darrington, WA.
boardbysled That is one classy old Pete !! Shame to see her as a "Gate Guard" However she is still intact and a nice example of what you guys used down your way. Any idea who she was bought by new?? She is a pretty straight truck considering she spent most of her life off highway
Hard to say, lots of people ran Pete like that back in the day. Georgia-Pacific ran quite a few like that in this area.
Dad had an old Pete that looked a lot like that one. His came from Weyerhaeuser. If I remember correctly it was a 1950 year model with a Hall-Scott gas engine.
Old Logging Arch This old logging arch used to belong to the world famous (around these parts) Joe Romani.... he was a logger around northern California for years. if you logged here, you knew of Joe. Cool story about this arch.........Joe needed to move it from Orick to Klamath...about 20 miles. Lowboy not available.... no problem. Joe hooks her up to his truck, takes off at 2:00 in the morning doing 40 miles an hour up HWY 101.... sparks were just flying!!!! Just one of the lunchtime stories Joe would tell at lunchtime.....he was a GREAT fellow. ps....I can now POST PICTURES!!!!!!! I feel so smart....
another old arch seen resting quietly...
This old yarder was made into a log dump machine for Hope's wet sort and booming ground and was first used in this capacity during the logging of the Ross Lake drainage that was hurridly done in 1953 for the raising of Ross Lake by Seattle City Light. Decco-Walton logged the drainage and the logs were trucked 40 miles north in B.C. via the Silver Skagit by huge 1200 / 24 tire shod Hall Scott powered off road logging trucks. The number plate on this old yarder said 'Tyee #12' and the provenance via 1960's era operator Roy See, was that it was once a steam powered yarder. The dump machine as seen was in use by Whonnock Lumber, later Interfor Hope operation, until it closed the Hope operation in 2005. The yard is now privately owned by a construction contractor and I have flown over the location of this machine and there is no sign of it. It's fate may be imagined. These pics were taken in 2005. The dump machine is not in service in these pics except for the light single block used to lift the trailer onto the truck after dumping. The lower five sheave reduction block is not seen and the mainline lies forlornly on the ground. The A frame's main reduction blocks that lifted the logging truck load were a five block purchase. I have stood on the machine while a 70,000 lb. load was lowered into the water and the mainline drum, not at all well balanced, spun fast enough to shake the whole structure like a dog shakes a rat. I assure you, you know you are in the presence of big going on when you watch a big load of logs sink out of sight to the water while the big solid concrete base building you are standing on shudders like there's an earthquake going on.
More of Tyee # 12 Now what this was like when it picked up and handled those big off-highway loads of Decco-Walton, I'd like to have experienced! I wish I'd taken a close up of that information plate. It seems to read, No. 12 Tyee Machines(?) (shouldn't it be 'machinery'? but it doesn't seem to have enough letters) Vancouver B.C.
More on Logging Arches The tracked and rubber tired arches were very common around northern California. Everyone was logging old growth timber at that time. By lifting one end of the logs off the ground you could easily double the size of the turn of logs you were dragging. D8's were the most common cat used to tow these arches in old growth Redwood Country. I had the chance to work with them early in my logging career. They could work both a chokersetter and landing chaser to death. You usually needed two chokersetters to handle a good arch cat. Many of the larger timber companies had "baldface" cats to pull their arches. These were dedicated to pulling logs only, as the blade had been removed. The arch cats produced most of the wood on these logging shows. You could run two sets of 6-8 chokers and keep the wood flying!! Typically you would have an arch cat doing the logging, a "layout" cat..... he built "beds" to fall the biggest of the trees, to help save more of the timber. The layout cat would have two or three sets of choppers or fallers to take care of. Then you would have a blade cat. He would log, build new skid roads, clean the landing of debris, split large Redwoods to a size that could be yarded, some times pull rigged trees, etc. A Cat 988 (or equivilent) would take care of loading duties.....he was a busy fellow.... A logging show like this in decent ground could easily produce 150 to 200 thousand board feet in a day. 30 loads a day was not at all uncommon.
Very interesting info on the Cat-arch logging shows RC, which I know absolutely nothing! And Glenlivet, excellent pictures of the Tyee, do you btw happen to know if it is still some 009's etc and a Skagit SY747? up at Boston Bar? Are still May Trucking in business?
The 009's are gone from Boston Bar, May trucking, which once boasted 7 high lead sides, has not operated in almost 10 years.
May Trucking Gear Took these just before they all dissapeared.This was definitely a landmark in Boston Bar.
Bald Face Cats and Arches Here's a good example of a bald face cat and arch...or arch cat as we called them. By lifting the front end of the log off the ground you could yard a much larger turn of logs, or log as it is here. This cat would have to wrestle all day to pull this log without the arch. Many times logs were so large that even with the arch you'd need to have a blade cat pushing on the rear of the log to get her to the landing. See pic two. Lots of times we'd have to split the log in order to load them. This first pic is of a D8 Cat, a 15A I believe. Arch is by Hyster of course. You can see the cable unit on the front of the radiator, left over from it's blade cat days. This log is so big they have a "bridle" on it. You can see two choker eyes on the hook. The knob of each choker goes into the bell of the other.......both chokers go in the same direction around the log.....you end up with a choker "leading" off each side of the log. Don't know if I explained that very clearly, but there it is. Third pic is a D8 46A with a Carco arch with rubber tires. This is almost exactly the same as the first Cat I ran.
another old arch here is an old rubber tire arch, looks a bit smaller then some of the others.
Mack diffs saw these old diffs sitting and the tag looked out of place, did Hayes put these in there trucks?
i do believe the put them in their trucks
Mack diff's Rebuilt at Hayes A customer probably had them rebuilt and installed on a truck they had redone. If those are where I think then yes they are 65,000lb ones We just happen to be looking for a set for "Humphrey" the old Diamond T Good post Greatwestcam
Columbia lowbed old and worn lowbed, not sure what it's rating is, don't think it matters anymore..lol.
Hiding away
Some iron, some wood, from a bygone era. Old diesel donkey sleds.
Didn't take a very close look at this donkey last year when I took pictures of it. Today, I took a closer look. I believe it to be a snubbing donkey, used for raising and lowering train cars up and down steep hills.
Not so much Iron left, and barely any wood. Just enough to tell what once was; an old donkey sled.
Looks like that sled is sitting on an old railroad grade. Is this the case?
I don't believe so. This area was truck logged in the 50's and 60's