I was thinking the other day we need a thread for people to show off some highway legal log trucks. Don't get me wrong, I love the off-road hauler threads. Those old beasts are just awesome. Anyway, fourm member Jdigger4130 sent me these to post. Some nice looking trucks. I need to dig deep and see if I can find the few I have.
Sweet thread idea. Keep them coming and I will dig through my pics.
1980 kw We had this from 92 till 2004,the trailer was ex Domans,didnt stack,so we could pull lowbed as well.
here's a few
Working up on stampede pass/ Tacoma pass? or maybe the watershed? Nice photos
Smay creek. only a couple weeks, most the summer at Eagle lake.
Do you still access Smay Creek through Cedar Falls? In 1973 when I was building road up there, there was talk of accessing it through the Tacoma Watershed. We were extending some old Mountain Tree Farm roads in those days. It was a long drive up from the mill in Snoqualmie back then.
Some Western Star and KW logging trucks
More hiway logging trucks from BC
I have seen some really beatup log trucks in my area, i can't how they are still road legal. These are some nice pictures !
access via the headworks gate (Palmer, north side of the green river) then stay left at maywood, follow the 5800 rd. about 25 miles from the gate. not very far up Smay creek, maybe 5 or 6 miles from maywood/ lester junction.
here is a good one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkpxsUIqcYs
Nice to see Squamish represented in a truck logging thread
Cutting edge, thanks well I have passing through Squamish a few so I got a pic or two. First time I visit Squamish was back in 1980 - first time in Canada well here some pics but not from Squamish
little trucks Here is a 1975 Kenworth LW that I ran for a short time around Pender Harbour. The big log on the Freightliner was at Squamish loggers sports in 82.
Here some pics from FSJ, BC
KW logging trucks in US along HW 101
Moe KW logging trucks in US along HW 101
GREAT STUFF GUYS!!!! Credit must be given to Brad as the pics of the trucks I sent JTL were from his seat!!! I always loved the Foglio fleet ya caught on 101 Hays! The Wayne Bare trucks are A fleet I have seen all my life! His twin grand daughters are even nicer looking! sorry lost it, I will email JTL some more of these steeds right now!
As a log truck driver myself I enjoy the pictures from other log haulers and how they do it in other places Mark
Hey Mark. I think its 5 more posts and you can show us your stuff!!! JTL has been sent pics from you by me too!!!! WELCOME to THE SPOT!!!! I hope you can format yer pics so you can show all of us your real and 25th scale stuff!!!!
here ya go
The last two trucks are owned by two brothers that I have known all of my life. I have been around hundreds if not thousands of log trucks in my life and they are hands down the cleanest and in person the prettiest trucks I've been around. The blue one has a signature 600 cummins in it while the brown one has a C16 cat in it. The brothers are both in their later seventies and are both "salt of the earth" great men
those trucks are cool Mark
I agree J&R. In that those two "Kennys" are EXACTLY what I think of when I think truck... KINGS OF THE ROAD!!!!
Do you know the trucks jdigger. They are truly something else. I have no idea how these guys keep the trucks looking the way they do. I went to high school with a kid who washed these trucks it started on Friday night when they got in intil Sunday afternoon. They even wax the rear end housings. And believe it or not these guys never complain about a bad road or anything. Again some of the best men I have known
Kind of hard to tell from that angle, but they both look to be W900Bs, instead of L Models. That would be my preference in that line of work. Or perhaps a straight hood T800, if they even still make the straight hood version. Beautiful trucks, to be sure.
Hello they both look like W900Bs to me. B models are my favorite model of Kenworth Mark
There arent enough loaded trucks in this thread yet So I'll throw some loaded truck pics up I guess. All taken within the last 3 or so years.
The 'Pink Panther' - 1996 Kenworth W900L Here are some pics of a nice pink 96' W900L I used to load 3 or 4 times every day. I took these pics when we were cleaning out the Vail sort yard for the last time in 1998. I had lots of my own trucks in there too but they were all normal-Kenworth factory colors. This was Cook #11 and driven by Shawn Cook at the time. Shawn and his dad (Cook Hauling, Yelm Wash) had 7 or 8 trucks working for us all the time around there. Elmer Cook had 20 or so trucks in there too, as well as all the Maria Cook trucks, all different Cooks working in the same place. On busy days we had 75 trucks working so there was lots of room for everyone.
It's worth adding also that Shawn Cook is here in Alaska too and currently running a fleet of beautiful Peterbilts on Kodiak Island. He and I came up about the same time and it's doubtful we'll ever live in the 'lower 48' full time again. Too dirty, all the pollution, traffic, etc -- everytime I go down I can't believe I ever put up with it. Alaska is definitely king for me now. PLUS we dont have scales or truck cops or any hassles like that so it makes working a whole lot more fun. No scales within 300 miles of here.
Those are some nice three log loads up a couple posts.
Big negatory J&R. I grew up (I guess) in Crescent City, then moved to Palo Alto in 85. BUT I never stopped visiting and really wish I followed my dream of being A gyppo logger. I live in of all places Marin County now and am one of...ONE guy that thinks NO knows trees need us to harvest them! Sorry bit of A rant. I JUST LOVE TRUCKS! I really prefer 88 and older KWs but am A huge logging nerd! The guys that were runnin the sweet gear as far as fleets went were Dutra trucking in Arcata Ca and lotsa O/Os. Where are you if ya dont mind N Sierras, Mendo, Humbolt? Glad to know ya none the less.
He strikes!!! CL as per, bringin the log thunder!! DIGGIN on it. I have been sent some great loaded stuff from Mark(welcome)and his homie Beetle who is rollin the truck that kicked this thread off w I would say substantial board footage per log. Sadly I am still inept w the computer and need JTL to hook us up. Wed I am driving to Arcata, then Mrytle Point then Harrisburg Or for the toy show so I am sure to see at least ONE decent load. Gonna try to hit Hull Oaks mill as well. Says its the last STEAM powered mill in the US and still have an olden time head rig I guess its called for big wood!! Thanks for givin us some good pics CL
Old KW with flames An older KW that was forced by it's mentally challanged driver to try turning around in a less than adequate spot. We got to walk the shovel 3 miles to rescue him
Jdigger sent me some more AWESOME log truck pictures, and I finally got around to getting them forum ready.
Here's some more in parade and or show form. Gotta be some of the cleanest log hauler's I've ever seen.
A few more of these trucks out doing what they do best. Looks like a great day to haul logs!
The snow pics are great! How long do those tall stacks last?!?
A few years ago Ted Leroy Trucking tried putting highway trucks to work hauling off-highway loads. The recipe was a tridrive Western Star & tridem pole trailer, 10' bunks on each, then load em up to the sky. Reports were it was hard on equipment: truck had 10 years of wear in 5 years of service (or less). But it was said it was cheaper to use up a highway truck than keep up the fat trucks.
great pics,some reeally well presented working trucks there
More Cooks http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/hank_rabe_js_cook.htm Missin 2 T800 round nose tridrive with a tridam pole's both blue and a high hood t800 short logger, both nice trucsk
After 35 years I have a few log truck pictures these are some of my favorite.
A few more.
Since I've been up since 5 this morning, I thought it was a good time to learn how to scan.:Banghead The red T600 is a truck I drove one summer, just to say I've drove a log truck. (I'm the guy on the right, the company owner on the left.) If your gonna talk smack about drivers, you should drive a few miles in their shoes!:notworthy 16 to 18 hour days and peanuts for pay. Then you get to work on the truck on weekends. Good times! The cable spool didn't work out as well as we thought it would. The beams were about to give out before the crane had less than half the weight still hanging. We ended up bringing a lowboy up to haul it. I had a guy on a 790 JD hoe in front of me cleaning up the 5 miles of ski trails with super tight switch backs to get me to the new lift site in one piece. Took about 6 hours to make the trip in and 2 to get back out.
Heres a couple I worked around. These were taken about 12 years ago or so. I never took alot of pictures. To busy working. Besides, I never thought the whole internet thing would catch on!
Was that for olm? I was up there a while back with the Muckleshoots a while back, they got some land up near there.
JTL: Was that T600 in Post 48 speced as a log truck, or was it a converted road tractor with the sleeper removed?
^^^ It started its life as a road tractor. It has 46,000 pound rears and a double frame though. Norm bought it at auction set up like it was. It's now a dump truck.
yes, the outfit I hauled for was from the peninsula, they log for them over there usually.
here are a few more pictures of dads trucks and some of mine also.
Log Jr, GREAT stuff man. I love the ol Gimmy! Looks like all those rigs earned their keep! Looks like you have really lived through the evolution of semis. I went through the diesel tech program in Eugene Or(ended up coming back to Cali and staying in carpentry) from 95-98 and we had A chance to see how much has changed to help the driver and I know I dont know what its like to have to earn A living w this stuff BUT I would take the 60-80s stuff hands down! Style being the only thing I know to care about anyway. The modern stuff seems so similar... Each manufacture had their own style. Thanks again and keep em comin please
Here are a few more sure wish I had invested in a good camera and taken more pictures.
Are Surcamps stll in the game?
Lou has passed away, but his son Rod has taken over and is still in business changing the name to Surco . Lou had bought a lot of Western Stars with 8V71's this one was one of the last ones to go because the motor was dead. I bought it and call me crazy but I put a series 60 11.1 liter in it,still have it. If I remember right it was number 33.
Great stuff! I like the W900 short logger on 10-22s.. Tough look. Your Freightliner looks like A guy in Crescent City by the name of Gus Allen. He had mostly COES but A couple A hoods too when I was A kid. I start my vacay tues so I have money A camera and seven days to head north and shoot as many trucks and machines as I spot!!!
Nothing like the classic KW in the bush with a load of logs
The w900 short logger came from canada it had a 335 cummins and an allison trans. was really a tough truck wish I had never traded it in.
You mentioned dropping an 11 liter 60 Series in A Western Star, How did that perform for ya Log Jr? Also how did the Allison do for ya in regards to "holding" you on downgrades?? I am not A truck driver (yet) so any info would be great!
Thought I would post a few pics of log trucks from NZ when I had a chance, way different to U.S set ups , this is a multi unit with a packet of I think 6meter on the truck and two packets of 3.7 Meter on the trailer with a combined payload of 28.5 ( average) metric tonnes.
The 11 liter works great, it's only 350 horse but tons of torgue, the cab is the only thing I really don't like much. The first trip with the allison was something I would not like to repeat. The truck had no jake but the trans had a retarder. When in low gear the trans would not stay in lockup below 1500 rpm consiquently the retarder doesn't work. I fixed that by putting a solenoid on it to hold it in lockup. Really liked the retarder it was quiet.
Very nice looking truck, probably never get down your way to see how its done there so the pictures are greatly appreciated, send more if you can.
Copy. I am excited,on friday I will be in Myrtle Point and my buddy Mark has arrainged to take me out trukkin(log) w him for A day and see if it is something I want to actually do instead of my current job. He drives A 378 W I think A 500 Cummins and 18 sp so, I AM VERY EXCITED!!!! Seems like tha Alisons would be great going up grade but down.. Biggest thing I ever drove was bobtail 5yd for A few months on NICE paved roads.. You guys at 80K plus on loggin roads, well. MUCH RESPECT!!!! Looks like the kind of thing I would be excited to do! Minus the rain and snow ect. WE WILL KNOW ON FRIDAY!!!
Great rigs Kiwi!! COE Kennys... COOOOOL! You guys have my favoriye exhaust stacks! The turnoutd from Aus have A unique tip that I have never seen in the US! It has an OVAL shape that looks just right to me! I spend lotsa time on youtube scopin all the KW and Mack stuff I can find! There are some great rigs yer way!! Thanks for showin us some!
Here are a few more trucks.
my old 77 Mack, 375 V8, was fun then but looking back it was alot of work,
Kw tridem-tridems,shared pics
Skadill; I know that spot Hope! here some pics further North in BC -Tumbler Ridge summer 2010
That looks like a Bob Janis truck?
Is that a Bob Janis truck?
Was at our 046 crew yesterday so got a couple of pics of a 8x4 KW getting a load of 6m on the trailer and 4m on the truck. These twin steer long conventional trucks are quite common here now.
Nice looking truck .Love your weather snowed out for week 2 weeks ago for a week, rained out today
This is a Western Star 4900Fa set back front axle, hauling logs outside of Grande Prairie Alberta.
Here are some more, thats the sky crane at Canfor GP, lots of problems with it that night, but it works (sorta)
Murtron hauling, great company, awesome rigs, great loaders.
Takin' around Whitecourt Alberta, bad pictures, sorry.
Great looking Bulldog! Loads not too shabby either. Thanks for sharing LD!
Pete 359 and Mack Superliner log trucks on VI
Here are some more of Justin's picture's from his trucking trip.
NW of LaPorte, Ca.
Just a little side heavy. Feather Falls, Ca. Another side heavy rig. Robinson's Flat, Ca. Waiting to load. South of Jackson Meadows, Ca.
When the log is bigger than the grapples you have to sling it. This was a 40 footer but the Barko couldn't handle it. We had to buck it. Concow Burn salvage. Near Jarbo Gap, Ca. How the people I learned from did it. If you could get it on the ground, they could get it to the mill. Otherwise...no money.
Thanks for the additions!!! Great stuff Gologit!!! Happen to have any more of the vintage loggers??? Keep em comin!!!! Love it!!!
Am I seeing things or was this on the way out of the site? Looks as though the loader is ready to hit the road for the next job.
Yup...we were picking up scattered stuff from several landings that had been skidded down to the road. Three or four logs in each place. The low-bed tractor would unhook, the log truck would back under the shovel and load, the lowbed tractor would move the shovel again...repeat until all the logs were gone. Lots of monkey motion but you don't leave good logs in the woods. This is the load when we finally got done. Mostly white fir and heavier than it looks.
Nice trucks, I like them all.
WFP Tridrive KW logging trucks
There is one question that I have been dying to ask: What did Mack do to pee in y'awl's corn flakes so badly that they lost almost all of your business? I suspect that it was a variety of things, including the advent of the 5-speed stinking Maxitorque, and Mack trying to live off their name. I have been back out West twice in fairly recent years, and each time, I saw only 1 or 2 Macks hauling logs the whole time. So, in the immortal words of Vince the Mole, What happened? I still recall the first time I crawled up on a brand new R Model at Vail, and saw only one stick. Dad wasn't too thrilled about it, either. I suspect that stinking Maxitorque may have cost a few drivers their lives back in the hills, running uphill loaded and having to stop when they met a truck, back before the days of the CB radio, and having to back all the way down the hill so they could start off on level ground....... and going off the side instead.
Now those are trucks! Classy and working.
I have heard that Menzies Bay Div has traded some of the tridrives for off highways and now are running 5 or 6 off highways. can not get enough wood to the beach on the highways .Also they rarely use the highway an haul off highway any more for the same reason.What a sad twist of fate they had some nice off highways ther before they just gave them away.
On highway???? LOL, Those are BIG TRUCKS!!!! MAN. I wish we ran trucks like these in California... Whats the GVW in your neck of the woods if ya dont mind me asking? I assume you can really pile em on huh?
Those tri-drives are straight-hood T800s. I haven't seen many of them anywhere other than the PNW. Sharp looking trucks IMO. Like a modern-day Brute.
Tonka are you familiar with the 65 Pete? I know the Kyles and let me tell you that truck will flat out RUN!
They never caught on out here at all. We got some big azz hills out here and Mack didnt step to the plate with big power till they were already to little to late. By the time the came out with the E-9 we had already been running 425cats and KT450 cummins in the trucks for several years. Even though they had a plant in Hayward they were always Yankee rides, all the cool kids out here had a KW or a Pete. Also parts were much harder to get for the mack, their transmissions were goofy compared to the spicers and Eaton's, they rode like stones compared to the paccar products, the cabs were sparse and noisy. The 13 letter **** spreaders caught on better here than the macks ever did.
Let’s see, to start with, they slobbered oil like no tomorrow, they did have power. At Weyerhaeuser Snoqualmie, they finally brought us from 250 hp to 300+hp. That was concerning federal regulations of the era requiring a minimum hp to pounds ratio (late 60’s) Lest I digress, broken frames, always packed extra axles to replace your own axle so you did not waste time waiting for a wrench to show up. 5 gallons of oil to keep oil level up on the stick. Broken springs, we ran with a minimum of two leafs broken on a camelback until we got the shop to repair the springs. Trunnions needed to be rebushed every year and sometimes sooner. It was quite interesting to see a loaded log truck “dog walking” down the road a foot out of alignment from steering to drive axles. Actually, the maxi-torque was not the worst part of the truck, it was just everything else wrapped around the transmission…. Did I mention they slobbered oil??? The best part about the trucks was they only had a drivers seat, no passenger seat or tool box, if you kept your truck cab clean you could get a nap curled up on the floorboards waiting for the inevitable mechanic to show up and re-assemble some vital organ. We had some 1966 and 1967 R cabs that were great. Even the old B cabs were better than the newer Macks, but from 1973 on, when Snoqualmie got the new Macks, both R series and DM series, things went down hill. I was lucky enough to drive a 1969 KW with a better ride, and it was running on biscuits. I was only stuck in a newer Mack for about 3 months…. seemed like the longest 3 years of my life. Wow, after 33 years waiting to vent, that felt good.
Glad I could help with that. My dad left Vail in 1972, and he was not happy with Mack even then. I agree, the B Models, and also the L Model off-highway trucks he had seemed fairly stout, although I always preferred KW. I really think Mack became a little too nonchalant, and tried to live off their name. Bad idea.
when did you leave sno-falls ? When I first hauled out of the yard there in the mid 80's they had those nifty "F" model cabover short loggers w/peerless 3 axle trailers I think they were 285 or 300 maxidynes they'd do about 18 mph up tiger mtn !!
Interesting to hear the disdain for Macks. I've never hauled logs but I drove a '78 DM600 10 wheel dump for 2 years in 1980 and '81. It was the most uncomfortable truck I drove but it was also the most reliable. It had their 237 with the 2 stick 5 speed, in our terrain here I'd get gear bound on occasion but that truck could haul dirt! I would also work on site a lot hauling material off road, so it wasn't babied the whole time. I never got to drive the newer CH models with the big cab, if the comfort level got better with the new cab I'd seriously consider a Mack based on my experiences.
One thing that is different in the woods, or it was in years gone by, was that we were prone to break everything. Driving a standard highway log truck, off highway we regularly grossed out at 120 to 130 thousand. GMC sent their first General to Snoqualmie to let us “break it in.” After a month they took it away, it was able to be driven, but within a month, it was in sorry shape. New transmission, new rear-ends new fenders on the hood. I have driven Mack gravel hacks a little on the highway they were not so bad. Even site work is not as hard as 45 to 50 mph on a gravel road that is poorly maintained by today’s standards. For years, if you wanted the decisive test on a truck or piece of equipment, you sent it to the woods. The old joke about the logger breaking an iron ball is not too far from the truth.
Thinking about SR 18, Tiger Mtn and 18 mph, I heard Claude Hoover refer to the truck he was driving at the moment, (a '73 Mack) as a "surveyor truck;" you had to drive a stake to measure the progress up Tiger...
Now thats funny. I have been on a few rides that felt that way.
Tiger Mt. in a Mack! Yes many times.I never hauled logs,but I did haul out of the Snoq. mill.I used to pick up hydroseed mulch on a 45' flatbed.The little Mack tractor we used was no ball of fire!It did its job though.
Western Star,taken yesterday
Nice rig Todd, have any pictures of that one behind it? Also, I remember seeing the video of these trucks on YouTube. Thanks.
More KW T800 tridrives
Hayes,that second truck from the bottom of #17 is an old wayne bare truck of northern ca. they probably have 80 or so with that same paint job
Hey hoe chucker, remember Dutra Truckings fleet? When I grew up in Crescent City they were THEE heavy haul/const company to drive for! Frank Dutras outfit is what I dreamed of growing up to work for. Redwood Coast was another, Not fancy but really cool log truck company. I have been trying to track down some pics of them. I did get to go through Figas's shop about a month ago in Arcata and found an ol Dutra W900 but my photo format wont lemme post!
a little, i never worked around them(too young)but i did see them all over.my friend wasd loading for columbia on dahl island and he said there was some old dutra trucks up there. i work with R.C.when we need extra trucks and those guys are definitly log haulers,take a hell of a load and get an extra trip or two a day compared to the bare trucks.
Very nice trucks i drive a Kenworth w900
Thats A really cool KW... Love the bumper
Vandale Blue LW KW east Harrison hauling to Chilliwack
Yes sir.
Scotty 12, sorry no, that truck was owned by Kip Brown when I drove it, was later sold to Goat Lake Forest Prod. and decked for hauling shake blocks. Are you in PR or sechelt area?
A T800, BC spec:
I know I am a little late to the game on this thread and so I apoligize in advance for bringing this up now, do you have any pics showing the head or attachment on the end of the stick of that Hitachi excavator? It looks like a unique setup. Thanks, and sorry again for bringing up an old post. As for everyone else, AWESOME pics great stuff some real tough trucks in this thread. Keep up all the great pics everyone!
A Mack Super Liner, is usually a log truck, but set up with a small gravel box for the spring:
And a jeep logger:
1986 Pacifics working around Powell River
Awesome all pics!!Thanks to all for sharing.
If you don't think that middle truck is about as pretty as they come, there is something very wrong with you.
Heres another of the same truck 1986 Pacific at Powell River
Thanks sure enjoy looking at the older trucks, this one sure is easy on the eyes.
Some Pete and KW highway logging trucks - Squamish 2010
Some tolson trucks.
I wonder how those Freightshaker log trucks are holding up....
is that a timberjack log loader??
I'm pretty sure that's a john deere !
idk that greens a little darker the john deere green
Not a deere, cab and undercarriage are all wrong.
YES- well, no. Its a Komatsu carrier- probably a PC200LC-6 or a PC220LC-6. Lots of these were converted to loggers and stickered as Timberjacks. Modern sold a bunch of them for about 2 years- Yellow as a Komatsu or green as a Timberjack. Boom was Pierce, Young, or Jewell as Komatsu hadn't started doing conversions in-house yet. This was in the early-to-mid 1990's and I'm sure I have the brochures someplace. So- YES, that's a Timberjack log loader. BUT its really a Komatsu.....
thanks for clearing all this up Contract Logger:notworthy
Yup. We just called it The Green Loader.
here are some of our trucks mine is the black 379X, its a limited edition and I haul logs and chips on 3/4 axle log trailers and a 4 axle chip van with a gross of about 58-65000 kg. I have a factory 550 C-15 boosted to north of 600, 18 do tranny, super 40's w/ 4.11 ratios and 3-way lock. It might not be a "real bush truck", but I can take it mor places than most company guys in their bush trucks. the purple one is my dad's 379 being unloaded at the Ainsworth mill in Barwick, On. It has 3.90's and a 13 speed pushed by a 475 C-15. and the black one is also my dad's truck, but it is driven by my brother, and it's an '87 359 EXHD Classic (also limited edition, its no. 45/359) with a 425 B-Block CAT, 46 000 lb rears with 4.33 ratios and full lockers. pulls like a bugger, it keeps up with my 550. Also It's for sale! (the '87)
tridrive
here are a few of my dad's trucks. He hauls 8ft pulp and sawlogs in NW Ontario with a little bit of 16footers and some treelength thrown in for good measure. We haul (on the 5 axle trailer) a gross of 60-70 000kg but i know that back in the good ol' days he hauled some that blanked out an 80 000kg scale. There are NO low-hanging wires around; they have all long since been pulled down by various oversized loads.
I demo'd a timberjack loader for Marc Chord (Ramco Mechanical cutting, Lacenter wa) in 98. It was a totally different cab and bodywork than a Komatsu. I think it's boom was a PSM. I know the general layout and undercarriage was alot like a Komatsu. Do you know if they changed all the bodywork and cabs or was this an actual Timberjack...???
LW Kenworth taken a few weeks ago
I had to smile when I saw the picture of the log trailer backed off a bank and read that the loader had to walk three miles to get him pulled out. Back when I was working summers logging with my Dad in N. Calif, we were up above Callahan at the SW end of Scott Valley, about forty miles West of Yreka. We were logging up under a mountain lookout named Bolivar and did most hauling off of a new road built to modern (1960's) specs. However we had just moved out near the end of the sale and an older road down the hill that was built in the 1940's was shorter. I was doing fire watch after the crew had gone home the first day we used the new road and was fueling a D7 when someone spoke to me and I just about jumped through the canopy, because there was not supposed to be anyone within fifteen miles or so. Turns out it was the last log truck driver who was loaded that day. There was a big switchback down about a mile and he had not swung wide enough before making the left hand corner. When he got his Pete stopped, only the drivers were still on the road and everything forward was sticking out over thin air. He was a little white around the gills, but we walked the Cat down to where he was sitting and hooked some chokers around the trailer. He clambered gingerly up on the drivers and forward into the cab and told me not to pull too hard because that would pull the trailer out from under the load. I pulled while he reversed and we got him back onto solid ground and then he was off down the hill. It made a great story that night where we were staying and I felt pretty proud as a 17 year old kid. Sorry no pictures to show, as there was no camera and the driver declined to re-stage the event for posterity.
Thanks for your information really help to me... Thank u so much.... Chrome Stacks
Waiting and Wondering A couple long parked trucks.taken last winter
Some highway logging trucks from Vancouver Island
2 logging trucks - KW and Western Star - from Fort St. John area - Northern BC
I was just in FSJ 2 days ago!
Anderson Logging trucks Nice looking KW's owned by Anderson Logging of Fort Bragg, CA
Just an average load of California cedar Headed for Oroville. July 2011
how do i insert photos guys?
The Mack logs every once in a while.
Great Line-up. I've never been too thrilled by the highway truck end of things - I saw them as the reason for the end to the bigger trucks, but this line-up of loaded trucks in the yard caught my eye. At Mesachie Lake.
Here's one I used to run, Highway, off road and railroad:
nice westernstars................
-
One of our two Kenworth Loggers retired to Lowbed duties. This ones delivering a brand new 350-8, hour meter rolled over 150 this afternoon. It's getting double shifted we've had it 8 days. I'll try and snap a picture of the other kenworth, it looks a little more BA.
Here is a link to a detailed thread on how to post pictures. .
Just a couple of pics on our job the other day not that great as was raining pretty heavy.
Old Western Star Shared pic
I love your old B models man... Proper rides!
I really like them they have served me very well. At first I was not happy that they are almost all metric but I've adjusted.
I am up n Portland right now and I must say that between Coburg n here and between the rain thx giving drivers and the fact that it was pitch black at 5 I have gained A whole new respect for you NW truckers... Hell,I was just in A rental car and was about to throw in the towel!
Gotta love the rain it makes the trees grow.
Copy! you guys know how to make NICE trucks thats FOR SURE!!!! Off to Seattle now.
KW good logging truck to buy
So I went through Longview and made my friend go w me to see the port area and found Joel Olsens yard! If ya wanna run mule trains or low beds they want experienced drivers and have one of the nicest fleets of T800,W900 and 379s I have seen in A while! Then went to Chehalis Wa and scoured the bone yards and took some great pics of old iron! TONS of cool stuff here in Wa guys
That's actually one of Olson's smaller facilities in Longview- just trucks affiliated with the Longview area hauls. He has a big shop in Vancouver, Washington where most of the nicer trucks can be found (lumber and chip trucks, etc). The shop and yard at Clatskanie, Oregon is the best one for log trucks, etc as that's where the trucks stay that work the NW Coast area hauling logs and pulp wood. He's from the Central Oregon Coast and expanded northward with Longview Fibre in 1972 when Jepson's expanded thier operations north. You can find Olson trucks from the Washington/Canadian Border clear into California. For a long time he hauled Tillamook Cheese products into California with reefers. This was thier first venture away from logs. They have nver had all the trucks in one place at one time. It would be impressive to see, no doubt! Where would you find the room? http://joelolsontrucking.net is the website. For all the trucks they run and have run since the late 60's, its got very very few pictures.
Small Log Truck An old shared photo.This is a unique truck to be a logger. http://www.youtube/user/skadill
So when are you going to post the pictures of the old iron?
Here's an old picture the wife thinks it was taken in '58 or '59 in southern Oregon, Grants Pass or Cave Junction.
I am so frustrated!!!!! I am having such a hard time posting in this sites format ! I just bought A new Macbook as I was told this would help w my computer illiteracy and still cannot! My nerd friends are of no help so I am making A flicker site this week! I do have the ability to email them so [email protected] is me and I will love to share my stuff! Only caught A few pieces and roadside shots but some nice truck stuff and Seattle port pics! I have 1000s of truck train and machine pics tho so email me what ya wanna see and I will email NO PROB!
VERY, very nice! That made my day. Thanks! Probably running off a 220 Cummins and a 4X4, ya think?
Kenworth Nice old straight LW model.taken last spring. http://www.youtube.com/user/skadill
That is very nice. What's in the background to the right? B model Mack maybe?
Answer-Yes A bit off topic having no rigging,but you are correct.
That b-61 looks to be in Great shape! I want one fo those sooooo bad!
For a tall man, the B Model cabs were a bit cramped IMO. There's an old saying: "You wear a B Model cab like a pair of pants". It does look like a good project.
New Trucks-along time ago B.C. Truck Logger Convention displays from the 80's.Shared photos. http://youtube.com/user/skadill
It used to be one hell of a show at the Bayshore when the major players put machines on display. That was back when the Tree huggers were not as active, or maybe the industry wasn't ramping up to logging standards and taking the extra step to show people how the wood got to be ready to assemble into houses. This is just my take on how I saw how things were going in the late 60's into the 70's. Vancouver Iron Engineering, Skagit, Northwest, and the rest of the players had rooms and deals were made then and there. This is how I saw things coming down. You ran what you had and if at the end of the day you got in logs with an old Mack chain drive truck with a small tower on it and you still made money you were doing quite well.
Some of my Highway logging trucks. If would like to see more check out www.dougsscaletruckreplicas.com Thanks. Doug.
Wood Wagons Taken this spring.youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/skadill
Here is an old White last licensed in '79.
Western Star Another log truck easing into what looks like a long retirement.Taken last year.youtube channel at http://youtube.com/user/skadill
Slick out this morning! Everyone limped away.
that last pic is a nightmare of mine. Never stand by and let them just pizz on the ground. find something ANYTHING to start plugging the holes with. Bark from the logs would be my FIRST go to in a panic.
2 or 3 of the drivers from trucks waiting were smoking about 10 feet away. Apparently it's cold or something, so diesel ain't so combustible.
Im sure its #1 diesel so its flash point is lower than regular diesel. I would be more concerned about the cost of the environmental cleanup of having to suck that fuel outta of the ditches and the snow.
The diesel we get today is so close to water you can use up a box of matches trying to get a fire stared with it! A weed burner is about the best way to get it going, and even then you gotta be patient!
Looks like they have spill pads on the ground down hill from the leak. Still slowing down or stopping the leak would be a good idea.
Western Star Taken the other day.Squamish,B.C. http://youtube.com/user/skadill
Hiway truck that wants to pack wood like the off hiway trucks. The loader operator did get his pee-pee slapped from the truck foreman
The first lean in the road would be interesting!!
The driver probably found out-slope on the haul road that he hadn't noticed before.
Weyerhaeuser Snoqualmie in the mid ‘70s was down to only two off highway trucks of their own and three contract off highway trucks (Emrick if I remember correctly.) So, all the highway trucks us young guys drove (we never got out on the pavement for the first two or three years) were always loaded similar. We never came into the yard with less than 110,000 gross. This was done with late 60s KWs and a biscuit suspension along with 3-foot stake extensions. I came in once with 135,000 gross, it was a little tippy, others came in with more. It was what was expected of us. If you wanted to drive log truck, then that is what you did; or go back to the rigging.
How did the trucks hold up to those kind of loads, any premature failures? They were designed for around 80,000 gross, so lots of stresses and strains on the frames and suspension, let alone transmission and rear ends. Of course when I say that, in Calif the truckers were limited to 78,000 and wanted to haul more, but they hated overweight tickets.
That reminds me of one of my 'favorite' days this summer ha ha!
We were only hauling off road so laws were not an issue. As for breakage, hard to break a walking beam on biscuits, a 5X4 transmission was fairly indestructible also. We did see cracked frames although not a bad as the DM 800 Macks they had. I think Kenworth had better engineering then, all their people had to calculate with were slide rules. With CAD, you can engineer to just a hair above the breaking point. I would never want to do it with a “modern” truck. The trucks all had 250 Cummins, no adverse, all down hill. That also relieved some stress on the drive train.
Are there any more pictures of the Ted Leroy Western Stars like the one shown here on page 3 of this thread? I'm curious about the specs on these trucks. I would like to know what kind of rear suspension they had, like all air ride or air ride/walking beam? Wheel base? I would say it has a Pro-Fab tridem log trailer since I think they owned that company. These would make a neat 1/25th scale model. Any help would be great.
Vintage KW Was on a equipment finding outing with a 'local' in the area,and was showed this beauty.Original name on the door under the paint said E.Castle Trucking,Hope B.C. http://youtube.com/user/skadill
Skadill; Nice old Canadian KW. Here a few pics from FSJ late summer 2011.
Koprino HW logging trucks summer 2005 Coal Habour on Vancouver Island
88 kw
Love yer handle as much as seeing three log loads from where real trees grow! CALI!!!!! LOL
Alberta Log Trucks Shared pics,this is a standard practice in parts of Alberta off the beaten paths. http://youtube.com/user/skadill
Owleater - I see that photo of a 1988 KW was taken in a burned area from the dead brush and char on on the top log. Can you pass along where they were logging when that photo was taken? My dad logged in N. Calif for a number of years, down the Klamath, Scott Valley, Tenant and McCloud area.
we log up out of Oroville
Kenworth C-500 Taken Nov. 2010 http://youtube.com/user/skadill
Kw Taken recent. http://youtube.com/user/skadill
2000 KW W900B, although it has an "L" hood on it. Backing in for a load above Enumclaw WA Shortly after a wash job, thought a clean log truck would look better..... Next step is a new bumper; truck came with this one.
Profab Trailer. Hi,yes they build their own. And yes it makes a neat 1/25 scale model. [/IMGdid ] [/IMG]
That's some nice detail work there Doug1966!!!
Doug Great looking model. Love how its weathered. Put it in the right background and it would be hard to tell its a model.
Very impressive workmanship. Hard to tell from a real rig. Keep on posting. d.d.
Volvo Trucks Hayes Forest Services Trucks at RBauction Surrey,B.C. http://youtube.com/user/skadill
Some BC highway logging trucks captured in summer 2005
Kenworth LW's Shared pics, one looks to be above posted truck. http://youtube.com/user/skadill
Hein Werner on 1962 Kenworth & 1965 Mack Some gems,taken couple months ago.Full video look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h96U1lHNk0&list=UUXUrfE0iAXFp8qfKNBQhrLA&index=1&feature=plcp
Haven't we seen that B Model in another thread here?
Took most of these photos yesterday driving by.
three 26 footers on my pup ! isx
Loading my first ever log truck. With salvage. LOL
The truck is still on the road ,and the round brown things are between the tall pointy things, good job Mr Miller
Off to the chip plant in Beaver Cove. Today, getting a little neater with the loads, and I've cut my loading times in half
Are you working in Island Timbers wood out side of Port MCNeill ?
That's correct.
could the truck turn right?
Yep, he has to make a pretty tight loop. It looks tight between the wagon and truck but he's got all the room he needs.
how long to load? 6.0 clam?
Some old logtruck photos from my Father. Mostly from the 80's.
Just a little side heavy. New loader operator. Cedar. If you're going to town you might as well take some wood with you.
Some more of my dads old log trucks.
And his current tree hauler:
I don't see the first photo in Post #235 as being all that bad, provided it's not overweight. It's loaded a little heavy toward the crown of the road. We used to load trucks slightly heavy on the driver's side intentionally in the freight business for added stability. That truck in Post #236 is awesome IMHO. Old-style cab, most likely with a 4X4, or a 5X4. I'll bet it had a 335 Cummins, and one LOUD Jake. Outstanding photos!
Asked my dad about it, said it had a 262 and a 5x4. 59' I believe.
Thanks. That would make sense with the year model. Now that I think about it, I believe the 335s came out about the same time as the new cab. Does anyone know?
Taken near Clearwater/Kamloops BC
A real truck meeting PP trucks.. LOL..
Pacific Taken a week ago.
Large Cedar Didn't know where to fit this pic in.Tree we did in 1997,got 1800$ for it then.
wish there was a "like' button for the pacific truck!., mr skadil also for the cedar .....
1958 Kenworth Logger I'd rather put this in the 'left to rust' thread because of its age,but its a daily worker,so it goes here Video inspection at: http://youtu.be/5YJq6HPeSXw
That's one awesome old truck, but I'll bet it rides a bit on the rough side by today's standards. Looks like it's toting a trailer from a preloader?
Sterling & KW's Sterling was a seldom seen logger.
was a nice looking rig todd! where did it go after it was sold?
freightliner columbia have been driving this while harvesting has been shut down over the christmas break, carting out of a thinnings block prentice 210e at pulp mill trev
skadill, what do the pipe and valves do in that Kenworth?
good chance its to cool the break drums with water when coming down a grade. thats usualy what they are for
That"s the water control valves for the truck and trailer brake cooling
The front one is for the amount of water for truck brakes, the back which you can barely see is the amount of water for the trailer . The large ball valve between the two is the one that lets the water up to the other valves. It is the one that you turn on and off after you set the amount you want to go the truck and trailer. There is also another gate valve you can not see that blows out the water lines with air . You use it if you have to stop, when running water so you do not break a brake drum .The water is held in the water tank behind the truck and has about 8 to 10 lbs of air in it to push the water though the system.
Two older, two newer Eh, one more of some beauties.
Vancouver Watershed around 1978
I bet that's a rough bumpy ride down the hill in that cabover
There's a reason why they call 'em Freightshakers, eh?
Some from NZ. C15 powered K100 series kenworth with 44000kg [97000lb] climbing 17% grade
Hey Merv. Why you hanging about the house at this hr .???? Our Barometor hitting on lowest mark here at present ,in for cold snap. Motat
Seymour watershed, Mid 70's
That General is early to mid 80's there budday
Wasn't it launched in 77? I was told this photo was 77-78
Yes, I believe '77. Weyerhaeuser Snoqualmie has the first General. Went back at the end of two months, perhaps three. It just was not designed for logging. Don't know about later, but the first one had fenders falling off, cracked frame rails and a whole host of issues. As the saying went in those days: "Give it to a logger for two weeks and any weak spots will be found out and left laying alongside the road."
Cool pictures SPMiller! I think these equipments has done lots of jobs. :thumbsup
Whoever drove the Freightshaker must have grown some serious buckskin on his keister.
The General was launched in 1977, budday... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_(automobile)#Heavy-duty_trucks
\yes very original grill guard correct nice truck 1960? Sorry Skadill I only come on here every couple of months. Serial number?
New Cat Trucks. Harrison Wood Got Wood?
550 by way of twins. Storming out
Are they tri drives or just tandems with pusher axles ??
all three drive in my area
Deming Log Show 2013 Clean trucks
Timberwest HBO Div. 2001 Western Star Tri Drive #41-119
Timberwest HBO Div. If there's a truck from hell this is it, it's second to none. It was owned by Dale Weaver and leased to Timberwest , they provided the driver. I drew the short straw. I think it was an Autocar, but it had emblems for White GMC and Volvo on it take your pick, some one took the worst features from all four and put them in one truck . It was so rough riding you didn't wear a seat belt for safety, you wore it to stay in the seat. The only good thing about it ,it had a 3406 Cat 425 HP and an 18 speed trans.
Timberwest HBO Div. I guess I got the point across to Dale because he got a deal on this 1995 or 96 Mack , it was a nice truck, trouble was I only drove it for 6 months and I was put back on a Pacific P16 off highway.
Timberwest HBO Div. Hauling sorted and scaled wood Honeymoon Bay DLS to Shoal Island DLS
BCFP Renfrew Div. Mid 1980's Chuck Carosella loaded off Gordon 4000 on to Gordon R. M/L in his P9 Pacific.
I'm pretty sure 1986 was the last model of the REAL ACar. Volvo's 'new and improved' version most certainly was an abomination. I drove an '86 ACar with a 3406, plus a few older ones. The oldest one was a 1963, with a 220 Cummins.
skadill, I absolutely love early equipment that is still working especially in super shape! these trucks are a testament to good old engineering and their owners. I have a customer that actually was invited to see his truck being built at the seattle kenworth plant back in 1981? thanks for the pictures.......TIO
Here's a brochure of some trailers in Australia, just a little different to what you guys use in Nth America
Autocar short Logger Vancouver Island truck.video at: http://youtu.be/jt_rDf0i_I4
Not your typical Canadian logger at Squamish, BC 1990's
Pacific highway rig coming into Squamish, BC 1990's
Unloading At Squamish, BC
What's with the mud flap in front of the steer tires on a lot of Canadian trucks? Is that a legal requirement or just a style thing?
How do they get loaded and off loaded?! All the trucks around here have log loaders on them.
Look at page 19 of this thread, there are pics of loading and unloading.
Its for when you go through a mud puddle on a gravel road the water will not splash up on your windshield .
The mud flaps arn't mandetory some tucks have them some don't ,but 075's right its to keep the mud spray under the fenders.
I've got a question for American log truck drivers why are their stakes so short , Ive traveled through Washington , Oregen and California I see one piece stakes that arn't very high and I see loads built up over the top of the stakes ,on the road between Mt. Shasta and Susanville I've seen the odd log on the side of the road. I just wonder why they don't use two piece fold down stakes and load the logs up to, but not higher than the top of the stakes . Our legal highth is 13ft. 6 in. our stakes are usually 12ft. to 13ft high depending how they are ordered.
Around here none of the mills will let you in with a log above the bolsters (stakes). Most of them are about 13 feet high
Are you refering to fixed stakes on a hi boy style trailer pulled by a tractor with a fifth wheel or ones that have a pole style trailer that they load trailers piggy back to take back to the woods empty . I was curious about the ones in the Pacific North West known around here as Seattle Stakes.
Heres acouple of pictures of a couple trucks with there trailers loaded or being loaded piggy back style with there stakes folded down , then a truck loaded with the stakes standing up . The top half is spring loaded , when you fold it down there is a piece of chain welded to the top of stake and a hook welded to the bunk this holds the top half of stake down so trailer is legal hight on highway, unhook chain from hook and top half of stake stands up when trailer is on the ground ,hooked to truck at loading site. Also shows a truck being loaded with hydraulic log loader and unloaded with a log stacker
I promise, no wisecracks about the Poodle (ROFL!), but that sure is a beautiful old W900B. Just beautiful.
All we have around here is fixed trailers. After Hurricane Hugo in 1989 we had logging outfits from every where in to participate in the massive timber salvage efforts. We even had several heli logging outfits! There were several outfits from the pacific northwest that brought those rigs that carried their trailers back to the woods. We all thought that was the weirdest thing we had ever seen. A few of the trucks were sold here instead of being driven 3000+ miles home. I think they were all converted eventually. I have always wondered why they were so popular out there? I don't think they are used at all except for a 3 or 4 states out of 50.
Fixed trailers used in Maine... BIG trailers too for the Golden Rd. Here most everyone runs a folding trailer. Probably because we get them from WA, OR and BC. Loaders on the truck though. Don't have mills here other than small couple man operations, most wood is for firewood. I can't seem to put pictures on this site, I have 4 or 5 pics on my phone of log trucks unloading at my wood lot.
http://www.kcservicesfirewood.com/image/46446093_scaled_271x203.jpg
That truck was owned by Dale Weaver and leased to Timberwest, it is brand new in picture 1996 or 97 with old rigging ,I drove it for about 6 months then went back on an off highway P16 Pacific
You need them loaded on the truck to turn around at most of the landings. Stinger-steered trailers also track better then 5th wheel style trailers, so they traverse switchbacks better.
I think its tradition mostly. Most trucks had short stakes when there was still big wood too be hauled. Many trucks nowadays do have stake extensions they can flip over, others run tall 1 piece stakes.
mitch504, the reasons for the type of trailers used out west are that the way the trailer is set up the trailer tires will track in the truck tracks, therefore it will negotiate a tighter corner, switchbacks,& narrower roads in the woods. By carrying the empty trailer on the truck the weight of the trailer adds traction, also it's easier to back when meeting a loaded one & a large turn around area is not needed at the landing. I grew up in the logging area of western Montana & I never saw semi trailer type logging trucks until I made a trip to Georgia. I thought I sure wouldn't want to try to haul logs with that setup on some of the steep narrow roads in the mountains out west. ValleyFirewood, Northlandwood has a couple log trucks without loaders here in Fairbanks,they do a fair bit of logging here. Not as big as any of the mills in B.C, or in the lower 48 states by any means.
My dumptruck came from NorthLand actually. Was told it was a yard truck for sawdust. Dunno, other than it had about 9000 miles when I bought it this spring.... not bad for a 1983.
Thanks boardbysled nice looking truck logs are not to shabby either does that extra axle steer or is it ridged , how's the tire wear on it ?
It turns but no powered steering and camber can be reversed for backing. Tire wear isn't too bad on them when you keep good bushings in it. There are also some guys running 4 axle versions of these trailers along with another drop axle and max out Washingtons GVW at 105,500. They work well for our bridge laws. I believe this truck can do 95k with 40' logs. For reference, a strait 5 axle truck can do 80k. Seems our bridge laws are different then you north of the border guys. In Washington, it pays to have axles outside your bridge. Seems up north, you guys run more axles inside the bridge. Those Jeep trailer setups are neat and would work awesome for a multi-purpose truck.
Here is a picture of his truck all cleaned up with a spruce show load on for the Deming Log Show this year.
How about the exstra axle behind the cab on the truck looks like you put wieght on it when you hit the highway . When is the Deming Log Show and where is it held , might have to drop down your way , talk shop swap tales and compare notes. Thanks for the info.
Deming Log Show is about half an hour south of the Sumas border crossing. It is the second weekend in June. Definitely worth attending.
Few of one of my grandpa's trucks, from right around 1960.
Great pictures from a time when life was so much simpler , I'll bet your Grandfather made a better living with his old International than if you went out and bought a brand new Kenworth with all the bells and whisles today. I really like his loads , were they highway legal or did he dodge the scales . What did he use for loading a Cat 955 or something like it ?
DOT would have a field day with a truck like that in this day and age. I miss those days.
BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-284 P9 Pacific with Knight Triaxle trailer , the load isn't great but its yellow cedar and was selling for over $450.00 a cubic meter when picture taken.
I believe these would have been dumped near Anacortes, so these all had to travel on the highway some bit from the woods. This was probably before weigh cops. Unfortunately I don't have any additional information, just pictures. Looks like an old Pettibone in the background, have seen a few of them used at pole yards.
BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-284 P510 Pacific at loading side
BCFP Renfrew Div. D Evans Trucking off highway load at Honeymoon Bay DLS
What I do when Im bored lol
BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-280 P510 Pacific With off highway load on Gordon R. M/L heading for Honeymoon Bay DLS
RB Auction Chemainus B.C. Kenworth and Western Star logging trucks
Queston on those dolly type trailers camptramp; do they track as well as a pole-reach type trailer?
They track really good but beware on a soft shoulder they will pull to the low side ,the tandem or tridrive trucks with a triaxle trailer are okay ,but when you put a jeep in there it can get a little scary . They are very unforgiving if you make a quick or sudden turn it likes to lift the back axles on the triaxle off the ground it seems the tandem jeep triaxle combination gets in more problems than any other configuration.I prefer the tridrive tridem configuration with freight liner air bags under the truck and Profab trailer and rigging . Handles good and is driver friendly it dosen't carry as much pay load but its very stable and forgiving and easy to back up .
Different highway logging trucks on Mainland, BC
More highway logging trucks from The Mainland, BC. Inwood Trucking, Quesnel
More highway logging trucks from The Mainland, BC
New loader operator...it's just a little side heavy. Next load he made side heavy on the other side so it all evened out. Above Feather Falls, Ca. 2009 Waiting to load...Cisco Grove, Ca. 2009 Loading two at once out of an unsorted deck...white fir on the red truck, cedar on the other one. Feather Falls 2008 [/URL]
Hi Thought you guys might get a kick out this. More photos in the model and minitures thread.
Could someone explain exactly what a jeep trailer and dog logger are used for? Doing some research on logging trucks. Thanks.
When you seen a semi trailer unit going down the highway a few years ago ,if you counted axles it usually had two axles under the back of the truck and two under the back of the trailer, they are called tandem axles in British Columbia we are allowed 17000 KG on each set of tandem's the single front steering axle varies depending on tire size basicly starts at 6,100 Kg . So your basic truck starts out at a Gross Vehicle Weight of 40,100 KG GVW in B.C. logging trucks are allowed to add axles to increase the GVW to haul a bigger pay load . A Jeep or Dog Logger or the third axle on a Triaxle Trailer is a single axle with dual tires is allowed 9100 KG . So if you add an exstra axle your allowed another 9,100 KG to the total GVW . A tandem truck and tandem trailer with a Jeep or Dog logger allows the total GVW to be 49,200 KG , add a Jeep and a Dog Logger to a tandem truck and tandem trailer and your GVW is 58,300 KG . hope that helps you out.
Oregon Trail Transport
That does help me out, thanks! Another question though...why would you use one over the other? Is the jeep trailer for a different length or cut of timber than the doglogger?
The Dog Logger and the the third axle on a Triaxle ( sometimes called a Wagon) gives you added weight to the trailer ,my preference of the two is the Triaxle , because its easier to back up . The Dog Logger and Triaxles were around long before the Jeep was invented. The next exstra axle to come around was the Jeep , it became very popular because for a trucker who aready had the tandem truck with a tandem pole trailer it was fairly easy to take the bunk off the truck put a fifth wheel on the truck add the Jeep and your on your way , they are compareable to a Triaxle to back up and they seem to handle better than the Dog Logger or Triaxles . Also if you have a lowbed you can quickly switch from logging rigging to a lowbed . A comon configuration is to put a Jeep behind a tandem truck then tow a triaxle trailer behind it the plus is its the largest pay load you can haul in B.C. with a logging truck . The minus side its trailer heavy when your dealing with adverse grades and they are hard to back up also they don't handle as well . If you were to check the statistic's on logging truck accidents in B.C. you would find that the Tandem Jeep Triaxle combination would have the largest rate. From my own experience with them I prefer not to drive them. There is one other configuration that is popular in B.C. which is the Tridrive truck with a Tridem trailer , which is three axle's on the truck and three axles on the trailer, your allowed 24,000 KG on the truck and 25,000 KG on the trailer with 6,100 on the steering axle your total GVW is 55,100KG . Easy to back up ,hauls a good load and handles the best of any configuration . The down side is it dosen't haul the largest pay load and it can't be used as a lowbed . It was my choice of trucks when I use to haul logs on the highway. There are laws pertaining to axle spacing when hauling over length poles or pilings , but I only hauled logs of a regular length on a truck that was specked out for the haul and stayed within the laws pretaining to length width and height.
Thank you again camptramp, that information is definitely helping me along with my essay. I very much appreciate your help!
Pictures of a trip a took riding with my dad to get a load off of Decatur Island in the San Juans some time in 2006.
Few more of loading the loaded truck on the barge.
Wood Wagons trucks
Photo #3 Vintage Trucking; I would like to see all their fleet, every truck I see is unique and interesting Always fun to see them on the road or in the brush.
who is bob Elliott in the Elliott mafia?
Back in the day in the Southeast, we referred to the R-700 series Macks as 'West Coast Macks'. We didn't see to many of 'em in these parts. Cool old trucks.
folding stakes I see pics of the folding stakes on the highway log trucks -- I'm curious as to how they work - they appear spring assist ?? has anybody got close up pics ? technical drawing of the internal workings ?? just interested. 525isx
Yes they are spring loaded ,the bottom half has room for two springs side by side ,they are hinged so that when the top half is up right its inside the bottom half which is a couple inches higher on the outside above the pivet point ,and acts like a stopper for the top half. Legal highth is 13ft 6in where I live so the top of the stakes are about 13ft. when up right. When folded down theres usually a piece of chain welded to the top half of the stake and a hook welded to the bunk to hold stake top down . The tie down chains on the trailer stakes are subject to the grapple knocking them off when we're getting loaded so we get a small piece of steel welded to the stake above where the chain is welded to the stake to protect it .
Hi. Yes they are spring assisted. 1 piece of chain attached to bottom of extension, then the spring , then another piece of chain, this one is attached to bottom of main bunk, usally a slot so spring tension can be adjusted. I attached some pictures of a set of bunks I made for 1/25 scale model. Gives you the idea how the set up works. Go to Arctic trailers web site, they have a parts cataloge, in there there are good pictures and drawings of the parts that go into the bunks.
Doug66 You do amazeing work , looks like it'll be ready to haul logs the winters snow melts.
thanks for the reply. looked at arctic web site & parts book. neat to get insight on the differences between the Canadian and west coast U.S. equipment looks like your highway trucks must pack pretty heavy loads, the trailers look fairly heavy at least. thanks again, 525
Hi Camptramp.Thanks for that. Those are from one that I finished years ago. T-800& Profab Tridem Thanks Doug.
WOW! Very impressive. d.d.
boardbysled, those barge pics are great! skadill, I love that "vintage" truck old truck with those awesome tall stakes and the x-one tires, incredible use of old and new, I would love to see more of there trucks or more of just that one!................TIO
The number of logging trucks from the BC interior is increasing. Pretty interesting seeing them as they are set up differently than our island trucks. This Freightliner really caught my attention as it's a cabover super B logging truck, don't think I've ever seen that type here before. Anybody know why the invasion of trucks from the interior? EL Bernier Enterprises by West Coast Motorhead , on Flickr
I don't know who's doing the logging this year ,but for the last couple of years a company by the name of Rogua has been showing up from the Interior at their spring break up and log a set quota out past Sooke probably for Timberwest then heading home . Some of the trucks are different this year , if they are hauling from the woods they need a large landing to turn around in . The cab over is unusual but the B-Train trailers a quite common in the Interior , they buck a lot of there wood short , two sets of bunks on the first trailer and one set of bunks on second trailer ,they load over the side with a button top loader and don't take long to load them up and their on there way
HI, I've seen the Rogua name on few trucks around here this year. The set -up I've never seen before is the tandem jeep with one set of fixed bunks up front and a swivel bunk at the back with a short pole trailer attached. The company that I did the B-train model for actually haul 4 stacks, 2 on first and 2 on second. My friend up in Quesnel had 3 stacks on a quad axle trailer,pulled by a tri-drive with 2 stacks, this all for the short stuff for China.
This is all very interesting. Isn't there enough local trucks to do the work? I haven't seen the Rogua trucks yet, but I've seen 4 of Bewza's trucks in Duncan, they're from Kamloops as well.
Hi. A bunch of these guys are staying at Sookey Sams, trucks are parked down by bridge , loaded at night and I saw their service pulling in there just now. Back in my Dad's day you went highway hauling at breakup. Doug.
took the wife to work the other day...and she snapped a few pics
Thanks Doug, maybe I'll drive out there on the weekend for a look.
I can't believe you guys don't have self stacking B doubles and triples. In Australia even some A trailers have a hinged chassis which self stack. With these trailers the driver does the lot from the cab, the turntable(5th wheel) remains coupled as do the air hoses and light wires. Any doubters check out Elphinstone's web site elphinstone.com.au
Umm, my stuff up, the web address for Elphinstone Engineering is( elph.com.au )
Went out to Sooke today but just one truck there, might go tomorrow if I have time, would like to see the others. H Cattle Company by West Coast Motorhead , on Flickr
Blk prince
My Brother DJ
Like the color and log riggin painted to match, most guys here just Trem Clad Black the trailer and bunks.:drinkup
yeah the cab and hood are getting repainted soon, the maroon on the cab is going to be changed to the same gray as on the step box behind the fuel tanks
This thread has been dead for awhile, but I just looked thru it. Some really nice trucks in here. Maybe it'll start up again.
Yair . . . As mentioned by Tones up thread I am surprised at the lack of development in US trailer technology . . . this may be of interest to some. Check out the video of the triple stacker and the same rig cutting figure eights in the parking lot. http://www.elph.com.au/trailers/logging/easyloader.php Cheers
Duncan Truck Show, July 16 and 17, 2016 10am to 4:30pm, Saturday and Sunday ~ BC Forest Discovery Centre ~ located on Trans Canada Highway at Drinkwater Road, Duncan, BC. Admission: one ticket good for both days, adult $10, seniors $8, children (ages 3-18) $8, children under 3 free, Those with BCFDC 2016 membership ~ free admission ~ family friendly event with concession available with BBQ, cotton candy and mini donuts Truck entry fee $10 to participate and receive a dash plaque. for more information email [email protected] This event is hosted by the Vancouver Island Chapter of the ATHS (American Truck Historical Society). The Truck Club is open to new members, with and without a truck, check the website. www.athsvancouverislandchapter.com Hope you're able to come and visit. Regards, Cam
on malahat summit pullout
Hey Scrub Puller, just as a side note did you have a look at their Antarctic Equipment?
Jeet Sangara , "Pour" Rich Bennett Trucking , 1974 Pacific , driver Steve Sangara .
Jeet Sangara , Pour Rich Bennett Trucking , driver Steve Sangara .
Good looking P-9...Judging by the anti sail mudflaps I am going to guess the pic was taken in the 80's.Does the truck still excist ??
The P-9 Pacific is a 1974 ,the picture was take probably in the early 1990's . A good old truck driven by a young Steve Sangara . Its my understanding this P-9 Pacific was bought new by Alberni's Vic Laughlin who sold it to Rich Bennett , who in turn sold it to retired logging truck contractor Chuck Caosella , who has done a terrific job of restoring it to better than new condition with a fresh coat of paint , though he did change the colour to make it his truck . Chuck is the locale "Shine Master" when it comes to keeping a truck looking good , so the truck has a good home . Its day's of hauling logs have passed , its enjoying it's new career as a well deserved retired Show Truck .
Above P9 Took these a while back.This truck has had a new owner for more than a few years now.It has a good home indoors
Thanks skadill for the picture as it is today , sorry Chuck spelt your last name wrong it should be Chuck Carosella is the present owner . Wouldn't it be great if all our favourite trucks we've driven in the past ended up like Chucks .
And a shop like he has.
I thought it looked familiar .I have seen pics of it green before and always thought it looked great.P-9's are before my time at Pacific and I am wondering if they all got the side panel bulges or are they specific to a engine option.I assume they are for the turbo(s)..Does anyone know what engine it has ??...Looks like a fitting home for a 12V71TT
Jeet Sangara , Pour Rich Bennett Trucking , Steve Sangara driver .
Jeet Sangara , Steve Sangara with a Pour Rich Bennett log truck turning off Butler M/L on to West Coast Rd. at Sooke B.C. , with an unusual combination of trailers .
Jeet Sangara , Tony Greens Tri-drive Western Star parked at Steve Sangara's home
Jeet Sangara , Pour Rich Bennett Trucking , Steve Sangara with one of Rich's Western Star's at home .
Jeet Sangara , Pour Rich Bennett Trucking , truck driver Steve Sangara .
That is a beautiful kenworth. Looks to be a huge crane compared to what we've got down here in Oregon and Washington. TIO
Jeet Sangara , Pour Rich Bennett Trucking . Probably the first new logging truck Rich bought . A 1985 Kenworth with a 3406 Cat power and a 15 speed trans . This truck was purchased to supplement BCFP's highway trucks when BCFP Renfrew Div. shut down and transferred 6 HDX Hayes Off Highway Log Trucks ( #6-231 , #6-232 , #6-236 , #6-237 ,#6-238 , #6-239 )and tried hauling some of their logs straight from the woods to Shoal Island DLS bypassing Honeymoon Bay DLS in 1985 .
Jeet Sangara , Pour Rich Bennett Trucking .
And how did that work out for BCFP ????
By 1988 BCFP was taken over by Fletcher Challenge , by 1992 the five Pacific P510S's BCFP had purchased for the company drivers at Renfrew Div. and the contractors who had purchased trucks for the haul (Ken Long Trucking , Ron Peters Trucking 2 trucks , D Evans Trucking 2 trucks ) were transferred to Nanaimo Lakes Div. and 3 P16 Pacific preloaders and trailers from Nanaimo Lakes Div. were transferred to Renfrew Div.
Jeet Sangara , Pour Rich Bennett Trucking .
Pour Rich Bennett Trucking .
Jeet Sangara , 1st picture Richard Neva . 2nd Picture Tony Wragg's Eagle Trucking . 3rd picture Gerald Patterson. 4th picture unkown . 5th picture Elco Contractors .
Hi, Forth picture is Western Forest Products, Jordan River Div. I remember seeing those when new at P&R on Keating X Rd and then out at Jordan River shop. Thanks Doug.
Jeet Sangara , Pour Rich Bennett Trucking .
Jeet Sangara , Pour Rich Bennett Trucking .
Jeet Sangara , Pour Rich Bennett Trucking . Driver Steve Sangara .
I really like this light blue kenworth. I got to work on a steel flat fendered butterfly hood road legal kenworth in my teens and 20's for my dad's company. It had an exposed radiator with a large steel top tank. Started with a 1693 which we replaced with a nice 3406a. It's death was an inverted walking spring suspension with some torque rods to keep everything in place however i was unable to find parts to keep it together or even enough bits to build stuff out of. It was mostly a dump truck but we would pull the box off about once a year and pull belly dump with it. I completely forgot about that truck, thanks for the memory trip.....TIO
Jeet Sangara , Pour Rich Bennett Trucking .
Jeet Sangara . Jeet & Steve Sangara on a trip to B.C. interior with Gord Tru swell's Logging truck / Lowbed at 150 Mile House .
Jeet Sangara , Pour Rich Bennett Trucking .
Jeet Sangara , Pour Rich Bennett Trucking .
FINALLY get to see a Binder hauling wood.
Jeet Sangara , Steve Sangara driving Kenworth Logging Truck owned by GT Excavating of Cobble Hill B.C. hauling for Brotherston Logging , working in Sooke /Jordan River area . Note change from Pole Trailer to Tri-axle Trailer , Tri-axle trailer is a Knight , was originally new on Ron Peter's #14 a 1985 Pacific P510 S .
Jeet Sangara , Steve Sangara driving for GT Excavating , hauling for Brotherston Logging .
Jeet Sangara , Pro Cut Lumber Corp. Driver Steve Sangara .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill ,Volvo's are not my favorite brand of truck , but history is history .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill , 1st three pictures Malloch & Moseley Logging . 4th & 5th pictures Malloch Logging .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill , WFP , North Island Forest Operation , Port McNeill . WFP #2248 , a C-5 00 Kenworth .Beaver Cove Rd.
Boulder Bill , a couple of Kenworth and WFP , Western Star Highway Trucks Working in North Island area .
Boulder Bill , Nort h Island
Boulder Bill , North Island . An interesting T800 Kenworth with twin steering axle self loader hauling some fairly long logs , looks a little heavy for the highway must stay on Industrial Roads .
here is some pictures of island log trucks
few more old pictures from frend years a go on the island bc
old vancouver island bc log truck
More Bob Hoar pictures?????
Okay- what's the goofy bumper for- spin the boom around and hook into it? Just because I'm curious.
That's what its for , grab the round one with grapples swing to the right and lower top of grapple into the flat bar notch . Some self loaders have the grapple out front when truck is loaded and some have the grapples tucked up under boom when loaded . Here are so examples .
Boulder Bill .
Here's a nice late model slightly used Pete. Truck Shop
That would be a great restoration project to take to an Antique Truck Show in its former glory , if only I could win a Lottery !
Agreed...would be a great looking truck all done up.I do how ever like its been in service look..
I agree , a Barn Find , or restored , it's a Gem .
Boulder Bill , North Island 2 Western Stars , 2nd Western Star is a WFP truck .
Chuck Carosella , Chuck's first Logging Truck , a 1947 "War" Mack , unfortunately , Chuck's lack of experience got him in trouble on his first trip .
He must of learn well from his first day as his last truck looked like a million dollars.
Chuck Carosella , Chucks 1966 Kenworth around 1970 .
The Blue Westen Star is one of M&S trucks from Juene Landing (Port Alice) The yellow Western Star is now a fire tanker for Jeune Landing
Chuck Carosella , Chucks 1972 Western Star , around 1985 .
Chuck Cauosella .
Good looking Star back in the day sure like the way he put his name on the door a touch of Class.
Chuck Carosella .
Chuck Carosella .
Certainly looks like he looked after his trucks..
Chuck Carosella , driving for Dorman Timber .
Chuck Carosella , Dorman Timber .
Chuck Carosella .
While traveling in Northern California last month between Eureka & Redding on HWY #299 , we got held up for work on the HWY due to a recent slide . In the line up were a couple of Sierra Pacific logging trucks .
At a stop in Astoria Oregon on a Cruise Ship last October , this was the Dockside scene .
If you would have sailed a little further up the river I would have seen you go by my house, Last ship I boarded there where you were tied up was the Battleship Missouri on her way to Hawaii! Being as this is a log truck thread here is a cool one that will be getting a lot of work done. It is a 79 W900L with a 3408 cat, retarder, 15 speed and 40,000 lb 2 speed rearends on extended leaf Hendrickson. We will be putting an 18 speed and 46,000 lb AG460 Kenworth air suspension on it for starters and pulling the cab and hood for paint and whatever else we find under there. Should be a nice truck when finished!
Glade to hear your going to take a good old truck and refurbish it . Maybe you could take a few pictures of it during the restoration and keep us updated on your progress .
Here's a nice one with a 3408 Truck Shop
Art work by Truck Shop
That is what we are shooting for, it will have the seminole paint scheme. Was that truck for sale in Idaho? It seems like I remember looking at it.
Really like that "Pete" you do good work with a Sketch Pad & Pencil , Truck Shop .
Thank you Truck Shop
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
Bouldrt Bill .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill . View attachment 169458 View attachment 169459 View attachment 169460
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill . Daine Development , Port Albernie .