Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Some Phots Of Jobs

SKP 428 · 2008-05-08 00:19

Just A Few Photos Of Jobs Over The Last Few Years

Replies32
  1. #1Wolf2008-05-08 00:54

    what is that big stuff you're digging out of the ground?

  2. #2bobcat ron2008-05-08 10:24

    I like the end pieces on these concrete culverts!

  3. #3SKP 4282008-05-08 23:10

    The pipe is made out of old boilers from the gold mines that were around the area . They cut the ends off the boilers and buried them under the county roads in the mountains for culverts . We had to remove and replace with RCP ,I even found a old concrete bridge buried 7' deep under the county road and was made out of rail road tracks and cables. The tracks were dated 1903 and one was 1898.

  4. #4Wolf2008-05-09 04:23

    That's pretty cool. I noticed the date "1903" on the track in one of your pictures. What did you do with that track and the other one that was dated 1898? That's a pretty cool find.

  5. #5SKP 4282008-05-11 02:08

    They are laying around the yard in the landscaping .

  6. #695zIV2008-05-11 02:26

    Ok, I'm sorry to do this but it's not track, that's just rail, track has plates and spikes/clips and rail. It's just like those funny trucks with the drums on the back they're not cement mixers. Cement is a powder, those trucks mix concrete=cement, aggregate and water. Sorry but there are just some things that bother me beyond silence.:my2c

  7. #7bear2008-05-11 02:33

    95zIV know what you mean. I've gotten worse sonce taking all these college math and science classes. My wife tells me I'm so anal retentive she can't belive I poop. At least he wasn't doing the news anchor thing, if it runs on something round it's a steam roller and if it has tracks it's a bulldozer. I'm going fishing now cheers! :drinkup

  8. #8SKP 4282008-05-11 04:04

    I found some old photos of a boiler when I was hunting for deer in the area .

  9. #9DigDug2008-05-11 09:04

    I removed a old steel boiler similar to the last pic . It came out of a old kiln building at a lumber mill we were demoing. It took a 315 excavator and D-6 to get it loaded on my lowbed and it filled the trailer. After securing it down I was off to the scrap yard thinking i was going to cash in on this beast. When i got to the scrap yard the manager took one look at it and said , "I dont even want that here!" He pointed out to me that it was full of round pipe and it was a pain in the butt for there men to prepare. He wanted me to haul it somewhere else but after telling him i was in a hurry and wanted to get rid of it he agreed to let me leave it there but not pay me. Nowadays I would have hauled it to our shop and we would have cut it up to size. But this was 8-9 years ago when scrap wasnt as high. I still wonder to this day if the guy was porking me and got it for nothing or did he have a legitamate concern that it was a pain in the butt to prepare. It was about 7' tall and 18' long and full of steel pipes. Must have weighed 3-4 tons at least. Any of the scrap yard men here have a opinion? Thanks doug

  10. #10AtlasRob2008-05-11 15:23

    scrap prices Dont think he screwed you DigDug. About the same time, we had a problem getting rid of the centre reservation crash barrier posts which are galvanised. The scrap yard took them but didnt like it, let us tip but no money. Yet a month ago I took the exact same stuff in and got £140ton :beatsme :drinkup Only problem, it wasn't mine I was just the truck driver :Banghead

  11. #11SKP 4282008-05-12 23:17

    I have been taking my old cast water pipe and valves to the scrap yards, from the last water line replacements . It has been paying good , cheaper then taking the pipe to the dump.

  12. #12bear2008-05-13 00:55

    I've taken off about 3 boilers like that in the past few months. I'd already cut 'em up and kept the pipe for some cattle runs I'm building for a guy. Here they'll take anything you can haul in. I sold my wife's cousin some iron wheels and the boiler off an old horse drawn rock crusher. In my spare time I'm building him a frame and bed for the thing. Cut down 2 oak trees for the bleedin thing and had 'em sawed up. should look good when it's done.

  13. #13SKP 4282008-05-25 09:11

    Here are some photos of the end of my last job . The worst set of plans I have ever worked off .

  14. #14w2bstoned2008-05-25 15:03

    What's up with the concrete blocks under the concrete pipe?? ?

  15. #15SKP 4282008-05-26 10:46

    The concrete blocks were required by the city I was working in .They wanted the blocks were the water line had 2'6" or less separation from the RCP and we had to insulate the line too

  16. #16D5G2008-05-26 19:14

    never seen anyone insulate a pipe like that before....interesting

  17. #17SKP 4282008-05-26 19:22

    The bad thing is that the insulation was over $35.00 a ft I had 5 crossings at 10' wide . It sure is hard to make the budget when they don't catch it in the bids .

  18. #18D5G2008-05-26 19:36

    wow thats insane

  19. #19SKP 4282008-05-29 00:57

    It seems that every year a least one of the cites thinks up more crazy specifications for us to go by.:Banghead

  20. #20SKP 4282008-06-11 23:40

    I started a new job with a different company . They had me finishing up a storm tec system . It is nice to get to run equipment again and not being a supervisor running crews .

  21. #21D5G2008-06-12 18:06

    could you please explain whats going on in those 3 pics I don't have a clue what any of that material is...thanks

  22. #22AtlasRob2008-06-13 16:49

    Thanks for that. I missed your reply at the time and the blocks had me scratching my head Know what you mean, nothing quite like a pair of levers in your grip, far less stress :thumbsup Hope it works out for you. Is that a surface / stormwater catchment area / soakaway? ( Sorry D5G didn't mean to preempt the reply ) The big rail maintenance depot I was at last year had big tanks made up of giant pipes to act as a holding tank for the rainwater run off before it was discharged into the stream. Entered as a 18" pipe in full flow from the roof and hardstanding run off, then got pumped out at a leasurely 6" so as not to destroy the stream. They were covered over and became the car park :cool2 Thats a 14t Volvo exc and A25D truck at the far end, to give you an idea of the size.

  23. #23Ray Welsh2008-06-13 19:32

    Save the designs for those old boilers. We might need them when the oil runs out!!!.........C ya.........Ray

  24. #24SKP 4282008-07-06 09:04

    new job Sorry I didn't get back to you D5G I have been trying to finish up some site grading so that I could get to my next job. Atlas Rob thanks for the reply for my post .The system was for over flow storage for the 100 year flood pond. Here are some photos of my newest job. they sent me in the middle of it, the guy . walked off the job and I get to finish it what a nightmare , it is not fun when you get to start on something someone else started on and trying to figure out how they were thinking of doing it .too bad they dug the top and bottom grid and pulled the tape on the slope whenthe grids are dug with less than 3% slope.I lost 30' when I layed it out.All I know the first day was a lot of head scratching and pulling tapes any way here are so photos. The photos are of a geo thermo system for a school in the mountains it has 13 grids 140'x80' on a hill that is 12%+ grade. It sure beats being in a street doing water and sewer renewals, or in a field doing infrastructure for a new subdivision.

  25. #25WColtharp2008-07-06 11:31

    That's a new one for me for sure! Is that a common practice to setup geothermal like that? I have always thought it was drilled vertically into the ground going very deep, or at least that's what I have seen around here. Learn something new everyday on this site!

  26. #26D5G2008-07-06 12:54

    not a problem, great pics! Beautiful area.

  27. #27w2bstoned2008-07-06 12:57

    How deep was that geothermal bed covered?

  28. #28SKP 4282008-07-07 08:39

    The cover has to be 8' min and they are finding out that it cheaper than drilling and the system works allot better on the heating and cooling laying them horizontal than drilling vertical . I am glad that we just have to dig and backfill it looks like it would be a pain to lay out all of the pipes.

  29. #29AtlasRob2008-07-07 14:05

    Am I right in that in the summer water from the building is pumped through this network of pipes and as a result cools the water ? and in the winter the same proccess but the heat in the ground heats the water to heat the buildings ?

  30. #30Turbo218352008-07-07 19:53

    AtlasRob, your dead on. Around here the average ground temps at a depth of 4ft is 55 deg F. This varies from region to region.

  31. #31AtlasRob2008-07-08 13:52

    Thanks, thats about 12 deg C in our currency . So what sort of min/max air temperatures are we talking about in your part of the world? I imagine it gets quite chilly in those mountains come winter time, but what sort highs are you looking at in summer. That system might be used in the UK but I cant say I have ever encountered it.

  32. #32SKP 4282008-08-14 20:10

    Finshed the last geo bed . Here are some more photos