Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Some questions about the south Florida equipment auctions

Abscraperguy ยท 2012-01-26 01:08

Between Yoder & Frey, Alex Lyon, RBA, and Ironplanet there are almost 4 weeks of auction in the Kissimmee/Orlando area coming up. Here are some questions I have. 1. Surely this equipment isn't just from the surrounding area. If its trucked in from 100's of miles around do the extra prices realized cover the extra trucking for the seller versus him selling it at a local auction? 2. Is there any difference in prices from the beginning to middle to the end of the auctions. Do some auction companies get better prices than others? 3. Is there anyone here who has hit everyday and not got burnt out by the end of the auction run? Those auctions and the crazy volumes of equipment changing hands intrigue me. I'd like to hear your stories or pics.

Replies3
  1. #1Randy882012-01-26 08:19

    It comes from all over the country and the world and is brought in, as for prices being different, it depends on the machines and who's there that wants it, I looked at and ran almost 400 excavators one time on all the different auctions and narrowed it down to about a half dozen machines I would buy, put my prices in my notepad and went to the sales to see what they brought, ended up with the fourth one on my list and went home, at about day 15 and have run the machine now for about 4000 hours, been happy with it ever since. Its just an auction area so do your homework and know what your going to spend and stick with your prices and either your going to end up with it or go home empty handed. As for being burned out, it depends on what your going to look for, I was after an excavator that time and never went to watch any of the rest sold, I knew what time the items I was interested in were going to be sold and only went to the sale for that time period and did other things the rest of the time, there's no way I'm going to sit and watch stuff I have no interest in buying sell all day long day in and day out. I'm not sure what your interested in buying, or if its for yourself or your planning on reselling it, but yes there are a lot of machines that change hands and its warm down in florida this time of year and in my area things are slow, so why not go to a warm area to see equipment sell, that and there are a lot of sales there to draw people there, your chances of finding what you want are pretty good, or in your price range are also pretty good. As for a how much stuff there's there, its unbelievable what is all there, its pretty overwhelming, but just narrow down what your after and go from there, if your just a sales junkie that goes to sales to spend the day, you'll be in heaven, but I don't like sales at all and won't go unless there's something there I really want or need and only stay for what I'm after and then leave. But be prepared to walk and do a lot of looking at junk before finding what your after. It took me about a week of driving and walking the lots to narrow down what I was after the time I went and then to go back and reinspect the ones I thought I liked to narrow down my search, I drove almost 1500 miles in florida alone when I went, and I have no idea how many miles of walking I did either, some lots allowed 4 wheelers and golf carts and others didn't, I didn't have either along so it made me no difference, but I did get plenty of exercise thought in the warm sunny florida weather while the snow was blowing back home.

  2. #2Abscraperguy2012-01-26 10:11

    I do enjoy auction have been to a lot of them but never been to the Florida auctions so I was just curious about them. Thanks for your answer Randy88. Among the biggest four auctioneers during this event there are these are some of the numbers for equipment currently listed. Undoubtedly more will sell than just this. Graders 271 units Excavators 802 units Crawlers 557 units It sounds more like deciding which one you want versus whether its up for auction or not.

  3. #3Randy882012-01-26 13:11

    Not sure if your planning on driving down or flying, I went by bus down and back and rented a car while there, the biggest thing was hotel accommodations, to do it again I'd drive myself so I had my own vehicle there, make sure you've got hotel reservations made ahead of time, I ended up in several different hotels, since the rooms were booked far out in advance, keep this in mind if your going, use mapquest and google to find something near where your going at a reasonable rate. I'm also thinking there are more auctions going on down there than just those you have listed, there is literally hundreds of acres covered by equipment to look at and if you can't find what your looking for, I'm not sure its made or ever was sold new. If you've never been there before, its really something to see and experience, the best thing is the close proximity the auctions are to each other, if you decide to go, best of luck.