Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cubic yards to tons

GCC ยท 2012-01-26 09:17

Does anyone know how to convert cubic yards to tons a company I normally use is to busy to haul for me and this company runs on tons not yards like the other one. So I need to convert 575 cyards of granular "B" and 250 cyards of granular "A" to tons but been a couple years since I've had to do the conversion if I remember right it was about 1.37 tons per yard. Thanks for the help

Replies13
  1. #1Phill2012-01-26 10:16

    http://www.unitconversion.org/volume/cubic-yards-to-ton-registers-conversion.html I found this on google, hope it helps Phill

  2. #2CRAFT2012-01-26 12:24

    Remember that everywhere you go it can be diff conversions due the moisture content of your materials ...have seen it where they had to do load checks daily, especially after a rain .....

  3. #3RocksnRoses2012-01-26 16:32

    There is no way to calculate cubic yards to tonnes across the board, because different materials have different densities and as CRAFT said, it would also depend whether the material is wet or dry. The only way you can work it out is to weigh a known quantity of the material you are using, to work out the density, you may have a small truck that holds a known quantity of cubic yards. For instance, limestone that we produce can weigh between 1.0 to 1.2 tonnes per cubic yard, whereas blue metal can weigh as much as 1.4 to 1.5 tonnes per cubic yard and this will vary again, depending on whether the material is wet or dry. RnR.

  4. #4Nige2012-01-26 17:19

    This table might help you - courtesy of the Cat Performance Handbook. Don't leave home without it ..........

  5. #5klyons2012-01-26 17:33

    gotta weigh a cubic yard of the material the drier the better

  6. #6buckfever2012-01-26 18:42

    we've never done this with gravel. When we have a job where the trucks can only weight so much we will put ten or so buckets of dirt in our truck and get weighed on a scale.

  7. #7tuney4432012-01-27 09:09

    Doesn't Cat make one in English????-----------------pounds,not KG

  8. #8CRAFT2012-01-27 10:45

    Clean your glasses ! ....it already is ..............for the benifit of the iliterate......lmfao

  9. #9tuney4432012-01-27 10:57

    So it is there Craft,was looking for more of a common type chart like this: ton[in lbs.]=cu. yds.,NOT the kg. thing which looking quickly threw me a loop. And talking [or not] about the pot and kettle---it's benefit---for your benefit. LMFAO

  10. #10Nige2012-01-27 11:17

    One day the lower half of the North American continent is going to actually join the 21st Century, but I'm not holding my breath .............

  11. #11blademan1502012-01-27 11:17

    I like that chart English- English AND American- English

  12. #12tuney4432012-01-27 11:38

    I certainly hope not.You have no idea how much I hated buying my metric tools years ago.It still seems strange to me as I have to struggle some just to look at the fastener to figure out the size needed.With SAE--any size say from 3/16'' to 1'' I'll ace correctly every time------edit---almost every time.

  13. #13CatGrader2012-02-01 10:06

    To funny.