Just wandering if anyone has ever seen such a thing. I built one before when I had my 81 JD 410A. It could hold 4 yards heaped. This one I just built and tried it out today for the first time. It holds 6 yards heaped. I load it with the hoe and dump it with the hoe. Always stays attached and I never leave my seat. Actually thrilled at how well it works.
That's pretty slick Deon, nice work.
I have seen a couple of videos on youtube of wheeled excavators in Europe pulling trailers but that's the first trailer I have seen pulled by a backhoe. Neat idea for certain circumstances.
How does it latch and do you use the hoe to unlatch it? That's quite the trailer.
Wow! That is really slick. I can think of about a dozen uses for one already. It looks like a very clean build as well.
Deon, post some pics of your hitch set up.
a new idea, never seen anything like this before,,,,,,,,, I hope you have a patent on it
popsiclepete, I have uploaded a few photos so you can see the latch. It's a spring loaded sliding latch that latches automatically when the box comes down. You may be able to see a hook like part on the corner of the box. That hook is what I use to dump the box. I swing the bucket just under the solid hook where I have a pin extending about 2" below that when pushed to the left (left while looking at the photo of the yellow box) slides the latch open to allow me to lift the box. Willie59, I have a closeup of the hitch. Not the best photo but you can see I designed it so the draw bar can swing under the backhoe swing with enough extra space for when I'm situated on uneven ground. The drawbar is only about 8" from the ground but I needed to be sure I wasn't going to make contact with the tractor when turning, jack-knifing etc. If it scrapes the ground then so be it. It's only dirt.
Deon- that is one very impressive trailer, but I have a question. You say it always stays attached and clearly I see no landing gear, so how do you work the backhoe, doesn't the trailer itself become an unwanted obstacle? Just curious and again that is a VERY nice trailer. I would concur with "robin yates uk" you should draw up plans and seek a provisional patent. You never know, if it takes off you'll never have to work again.
SeaMac, I just stop next to where I want to scoop up my material, I usually jack-knife just a little to allow more backhoe swing and/or better reach my material and then fill the box. When done, I put my stabilizers up and drive away.
Seems you not only have a fine trailer, you have a well thought out plan.
Nice fabrication Deon.
Just looking at your name (SEAMAC). Are you into boats?
Yair . . . Very nice unit Deon. Over the years I have made several trailers for Ag. tractors that work on a similar principle. They are handy for farmers and folks with lifestyle blocks who have a tractor with a loader bucket and want to gravel a drive-way or cart dirt/manure whatever but cant justify a "propper" dump trailer or an old dump-truck with all its hassels. I make up a hitch for the three point linkage and the drawbar of the trailer is provided some form of oversized hitch hole or loop. the trailer is provided with a fixed stand to keep the drawbar off the ground. In operation the tractor is backed up to the trailer and using the hydraulics the drawbar is engaged in the towing loop of the trailer and the trailer is lifted to its towing height, proceed to cut, lower hitch disengage from trailer, load trailer with front bucked, reengage hitch, procede to fill and tip trailer with a hook that is welded to the bucket. Trailer is biased weight forward and we have never had a problem with the trailer jumping from the hitch. The early versions had spring load hitch arrangement such as Deon's but it isn't necessary on this application Cheers. P.S. I've just made one to suit my old 18HP Ford. It's rough as guts and unfinished and I'd be a bit embarrassed about it but I could post some pictures if any one is interested.
You could say that as well it is word play with my name. I have been around big sail and power boats all my life, we have that advantage down here in Florida of course you have an advantage too just much, much colder water. I have owned a '36 Bertram Open/Express, arguably for these waters, one of the finest marlin and sail fighters ever made. Got into flats fishing about a decade ago, sold my flats boat five years ago, am boatless at present :crying
very nice. I have built my own dump trailer just on a smaller scale, nothing like this setup though. There use to be a video of a guy with a mini ex that had a trailer hook up on his blade. He'd pull up load and drive off, not sure if the vid is still around?