Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Something simple to something MAJOR.

Vetech63 · 2019-05-17 20:18

I was called out on a CAT 299D (GTC01960) today because the engine overheated. When I got there I realized quickly that the hydraulic cooling fan was not working at all. After verifying the electrical was working correctly I went on to a hydraulic problem. I pulled the solenoid valve on the fan motor to find this...……. …….a nice sized sliver of metal wedged in the port hole.

Replies28
  1. #1Vetech632019-05-17 20:21

    I noticed that the way this machine is plumbed, the tool pump goes straight into the fan drive motor and the hydraulic filter is on the return side of the fan motor. My deduction is the sliver came from either the tool pump or the fan motor itself. Here is another pic of this piece of metal still stuck in the valve.

  2. #2Ronsii2019-05-17 20:22

    Could be from manufacturing.... just something that didn't come loose in the deburring/cleaning stage... maybe.... Oh!!!, that is pretty good sized... couldn't tell from the first pic.

  3. #3Vetech632019-05-17 20:26

    I decide to start at the fan motor so I pull and disassemble it. Looks brand new and barely a scratch. Off I go to pull the tool pump which I notice has a common suction with the implement pump it is bolted to. Tear down the tool pump to find damage on the suction side of the gear housing, but NOT the size of the sliver in the solenoid valve. So now I have to pull the implement pump and inspect it. The source of this sliver has to be found...……….

  4. #4Vetech632019-05-17 20:28

    Ahh...…..slipper damage, but not the source of my sliver.

  5. #5CM19952019-05-17 20:29

    Yikes. I have a 2016 279D, are they plumbed the same as the 299?

  6. #6Vetech632019-05-17 20:29

    still no steel.

  7. #7Vetech632019-05-17 20:31

    Pump tag...……..in case any of you are wondering LOL...…….still searching!

  8. #8Ronsii2019-05-17 20:34

    Any chance someone else worked on this a bit earlier and maybe took hoses off???

  9. #9Vetech632019-05-17 20:35

    DAM! Guess what!? ……...FOUND IT!!!! The barrel on the swash plate piston exploded. The contamination seems to be limited to the case drain side of the system but because of the flow design of the system, one pump killed another and would have killed the fan drive motor had that sliver not got hung up and caused the engine to overheat. NOW FOR THE GRAND FINALE>>>>>>>>>>>

  10. #10rondig2019-05-17 20:35

    Could it be spool or spool seat material..in pics it looks like round edge.

  11. #11Ronsii2019-05-17 20:37

    Wow!!!! yep.... looks like that *could* be the culprit

  12. #12rondig2019-05-17 20:39

    Holy crap that is a problem...expensive one

  13. #13Vetech632019-05-17 20:39

    >>>>>>I found out today from REXROTH themselves that they have discontinued this pump and no rebuild parts , or complete pumps (new or remaned) will be offered. NO PARTS PEOPLE...….AT ALL. Once Cat's inventory on these is exhausted, your screwed!!!! They are offering NO REPLACEMENT either.This machine has 4288 hours. This is original equipment and has never been into before today. BUYER BEWARE ON THESE......and they are used in several models of skid steers.

  14. #14Vetech632019-05-17 20:41

    NEW pump from CAT...……..$2700.00( just for the implement pump). Tool pump.....$1100.00. Fan drive motor is $500.00(which I am going to replace anyway if I am going to warranty this. Will be here Monday...……..who knows how many are left?? What I thought was going to be a quick fix, in and out...……….turns into a 7-9K job in 4 hours time.

  15. #15rondig2019-05-17 20:42

    A22vg...is being replaced by a24vg but it will not be direct replacement..can be modded to fit though...if you order right code...unfortunately proprietary rights make it difficult to match up.

  16. #16Vetech632019-05-17 20:47

    Yep

  17. #17Vetech632019-05-17 20:48

    The proprietary is the killer here.

  18. #18Vetech632019-05-17 20:52

    Funny thing is...…….My CAT product support guy just mumbling "UHHHH...…..well...……..UHHHH" when I questioned him about this pump...…..was priceless. This is the 3rd CAT skid steer I have had a pump failure on in the last 3 years.

  19. #19rondig2019-05-17 21:39

    When we rebuilt them for rexroth cavitation was always the result they gave us for this type of failure...cavitation hammers the pistons...we have rebuilt tons of a22vg pumps over the years. You are right though....nh, case, cat...actually most companies used the now obsolete pump....the a24 vg we have in stock is 1 inch longer than a a22vg...but charge relief and and main reliefs are a little different. Big difference is on the controllers.....but the automotive controls will be way better on a24....also the 4-24 mil range will be way more precise... ouch 2700 usd...is crazy....

  20. #20Cmark2019-05-17 23:04

    Is it the 4425637 pump? There is a modification procedure to install an updated pump, part number 4876181.

  21. #21rondig2019-05-17 23:06

    Yep that is a22vg to a24 update...

  22. #22Nige2019-05-18 04:56

    Well then you should tell him that he needs to learn how to work his own system. A simple search threw up these two documents in less time than it took my coffee to brew. To install the new Part Number pump basically requires a new hose, an elbow, a couple of O-Rings, & a handful of zip ties.

  23. #23thepumpguysc2019-05-18 10:29

    Nice find.. AND fix.. I have 1 too>>story that is.. I went to do a "SIMPLE" pump job the other day..{Flex-ring} Pull the pump, rebuild it & put it back on.. Google Maps take me MILES out of the way & I had to stop TWICE for directions.. So I get to the site 1 HOUR late.. shoulda taken me 1 hour to get there, ended up 2.. I pull the pump take it home & disassemble it.. The CAM RING is smashed all to hell... Hey, no problem, they still make camrings.. OH NO THEY DONT.. NOT for THIS pump they don't.. I called 8 vendors & even went thru my exchange pumps looking for this camring..I was willing to tear-down a perfectly good rebuilt pump just to get this guy going.. I ended up calling the FACTORY & getting it drop-shipped directly to me.. the "LAW" is, u have to go thru a "Central Distributor" & THEN to me.. But a few choice name drops & its on the way..

  24. #24Vetech632019-05-18 12:05

    I am sure he didnt take the time to look.

  25. #25Nige2019-05-18 12:18

    Then IMHO he has no business in Product Support.

  26. #26Vetech632019-05-21 09:46

    I got an email yesterday with the same information. Made the changeover yesterday morning with no additional parts. It seems that the Rexroth rep didn't include this information when they obsoleted the original pump.

  27. #27Nige2019-05-21 10:30

    Better late than never I suppose. Tell him he's only 3 days too late ........

  28. #28thepumpguysc2019-05-21 20:19

    My "simple" job turned to **** AGAIN.. My part from the factory didn't show up. ***?? I made a call & they said we can ONLY DROP SHIP to service dealers.. I KNOW.. we had a 15 minute conversation about this exact fact.. THEN it was settled & u were going to ship it.. remember?? OH, u musta talked to someone else... we're only allowed to d.ship to service DEALERS.. I said, YEAH, I got that.. THE 1ST TIME U SAID IT ON FRIDAY.!!! WELL.. THAT wasn't "ME".. Lets move past this because I obviously don't have my part.. can u tell me WHERE IT IS??!!! It was shipped to my service dealer in NC.!! So I called them.. YUP, we got it, it'll be shipped out to u today..{Monday}{UPS} It takes 1 day by UPS.. Do u think I got my part today.?? Ummm, the answer would be a big "Fk NO".. I'm fuming.. & I missed calling them before they closed today... dammit..