Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sometimes you get lucky

Welder Dave · 2024-06-23 02:08

Went out to pump water and work on problem section of my driveway. My 3" pump that always starts in 2 or 3 pulls at the most wouldn't start today. It was killing my back pulling it so I just left it. It had been outside in the rain so maybe something got wet. I needed to bring about 20 or so yards of clay to the bad spot of my driveway. I figured it would be the best if I could use the dump truck but it hasn't been running for about a year. I was skeptical I could get it going. I used my truck to boost 1 battery and hooked a battery charger on the other 2 batteries. At first the battery charger showed an error and didn't register anything. I put it on my pick up battery and it showed 100% charge. After that it worked on the dump truck batteries. Truck wouldn't even click at first but the air buzzer was loud and clear. I worked on driveway for a little less than hour and came back to see if the batteries had any charge. To my amazement the truck spun over fast and started right up. I gave it some more revs. but it died 30 seconds later but that's normal with the M11 in the truck. Sometimes it will catch and keep running before losing prime. I thought about taking the fuel filter off and filling it but was really surprised it spun so fast. It usually has to crank for about 20 seconds to prime itself after the initial start so I was worried the batteries wouldn't have enough juice for a 2nd start. I hit the starter button just to see and it started in about 10 seconds so must have been close to filling the filter back up. It stays running after the 2nd start and can be shut off and started all day as long as long as it's not sitting for over about 4 hours. I was really glad I got it going and didn't even need to open the hood. The last time I started it last year was kind of a pain. Some guys helping me went to start it without knowing the drill. I don't use the truck real often so when I go to start it I always boost it and/or put a battery charger on it so it spins at max. cranking speed and will start a second time when it loses prime. They just tried to start it with it cranking slow. We didn't need the truck that day anyway. When I did need the truck a couple weeks later it was a pain to get going. I took the filter off and filled it but it didn't seem to be picking up fuel. I thought the fuel pump was shot or worse. After about four 10 second tries it finally started. It always starts instantly if it was shut off after use and the batteries are fully charged for the next start. I think when the other guys tried to start it all it did was completely empty the filter and maybe some other fuel lines. That's why I was so glad it started right up today. I'm not sure why it loses prime. The check valve was good and I bought a filter that's supposed to help but still quits after 30 seconds. I've read that braided fuel lines can leak air but show no sign of a fuel leak. Also read maybe the fuel tanks need to be filled more but that's pretty costly when I don't use the truck much.

Replies14
  1. #1crane operator2024-06-23 07:33

    You really should know better Dave. At least check the oil/ water and air filter. And make sure there isn't a huge mouse or rat other creature's nest on the exhaust manifold, that's going to burn the wiring down when it gets going.... Were you singing Bon Jovi as you lit it off?

  2. #2Welder Dave2024-06-23 13:33

    I have some help today so I'll open the hood and check things out. The hood is pretty heavy for me to lift and really hard on my back. I only used the truck for about 20 minutes. The oil level has always stayed up and I made sure I had oil pressure when cranking. If the coolant is low it quits after about 15 seconds.

  3. #3Deere500a2024-06-23 21:22

    Pick up tube inside the tank could be cracked losing prime if higher fuel level keeps it running

  4. #4cfherrman2024-06-23 22:32

    I ran an international that was exactly like that, fill up the tank full and it wouldn't die. Has nothing to do with the Cummins but I'd bet money if it was a Detroit it wouldn't start back up after dieing

  5. #5Welder Dave2024-06-23 22:50

    I thought the check valve on the ECM was supposed to prevent it from losing prime. Baldwin used to advertise a special filter for Cummins with a stand pipe that was supposed to prevent the filter from losing fuel but they don't advertise it anymore. Probably because it only worked some of the time. Losing prime like I am is a common Cummins problem with M11's and N14's. Maybe having the fuel tank fuller would help but it would be quite the coincidence if all the problem engines had a cracked pick up tube. It's not just a problem in trucks but other equipment like combines too. Maybe old braided fuel lines?? Checked and everything under the hood was fine. Mice droppings in the cab and a surprise in the cubby hole under the passenger seat... a dead mouse that had been there awhile. I had an old mouse pouch in there too. I threw the mouse out and soaked the pouch with peppermint oil. I've had success with it in the past but it only lasts so long. I should apply the peppermint oil every 2 or 3 weeks so the smell is always there. I'll clean the truck out fully in a few days when I'm back out there.

  6. #6cfherrman2024-06-24 00:02

    In my experience Cummins are much better with getting prime or holding prime. My n14 does not have any check valves and would hold prime till the o rings on the fuel shut off failed, I just have a valve on the fuel line I close to keep the prime.

  7. #7Welder Dave2024-06-24 15:19

    Maybe I could put a valve on the fuel line. I'll look into it more when I have more time.

  8. #8cfherrman2024-06-24 18:59

    I put a tee in and a 1/4 valve and a air quick connect, then I can prime the lines with a fuel pump.

  9. #9Welder Dave2024-06-24 19:25

    Do you have a pic. of your set up?

  10. #10colson042024-06-24 19:27

    Dave- a ratchet strap to the bumper and hand hold on the hood will open the hood without cranking on your back. I can't find the product, but there is a company that makes a hood opener that works off a ratchet strap type system for people that have a hard time opening heavy hoods. My heart skipped a beat when he said he didn't pop the hood. I remember getting my rump chewed something fierce when I did that as a teenager. My grandpa, a pretty mild person 99.9% of the time, let me have both barrels when he caught me starting a truck without popping the hood and checking fluids first. Today, nothing gets started without at least checking the oil. I still have flashbacks to 20 years ago when I walk up to start a truck for the day.

  11. #11cfherrman2024-06-24 19:39
  12. #12IceHole2024-06-24 20:05

    I locked up a new to me 427 by not checking. Bought the truck for the log loader, had it hauled down and dropped off a loading ramp a few miles from my place. Get out there, fire it up. Meant to check fluids but was trying to hurry. Reving it up a bit to build air. It's loud a hell, no exhaust. Gauges I doubt work. Carb way out of tune so not running well. It stalls, I hit the key and clunk clunk. Guy I got it from had been running it for years and never checked the oil. Also had no air filter, or 3xhaust Motor was probably about dead, but still chapped my ass, I knew better.

  13. #13Welder Dave2024-06-24 20:49

    Yeah, I should have checked. I honestly wasn't expecting it to turn over that fast let alone start. I have checked the oil often enough that it has never really gone down enough to notice. An M11 holds a lot of oil too. If the coolant is even just slightly low it will quit after 10 or 15 seconds. Not really an excuse but this damn cancer has really done a number on my back. Using the truck saved me from making a dozen or so trips with the track loader about an 1/8 of a mile. The hood is quite heavy and then there's the hyd. pump mounted out front so not too easy to climb up to grab the hood. Last year I turned backwards and got the hood started on the way up by lifting at the back near the cab. Then I kind of turned around and got it all the way open. I was watching a show where there was a new Mack and the owner showed how easy the hood was to open. Really well balanced and didn't need any effort to tip forward. The hood on my Topkick water truck takes a little effort but not as much as the dump truck. The hood on the dump truck is also modified which might make it harder to open. The grill in front of the rad. stays stationary so the pivots might be a little higher.

  14. #14BC Placer gold2024-06-26 21:14

    Happened on our Miller Bobcat welder…