Hey everyone, Sooo I'm looking really seriously at this '94 580k and have a couple more questions before actually buying it: 1) Think I've read and heard that these things have to warm up a little before their transmissions push for real. Is this true? Believe that's the case with this thing, both the owner and the mechanic that fixes it (who also fixes my jd 310d) were quietly muttering about it. “but otherwise it's fine". Mechanic says if I change the charge pump that will fix it. In my opinion transmission problems are the worst thing that can happen to a backhoe. I like to think I can rig or adapt just about anything except transmissions are pretty model specific. Any experience/advice with this 580k warmup phenomenon? 2) this machine took a relatively serious tumble down a steep embankment. Perhaps 3 to 5 meters high. It broke off a stabilizer outrigger and crumpled the hood and some other things. The owner bought another non-operational 580k and used it to rebuild his that took the tumble. The same mechanic who helps me helped him with the rebuild. I trust him and he says it's probably fine. The owner has been working it nonstop for at least the last six months since the accident so I know the thing works to some degree. Anyone else drive a hoe that's taken a good tumble? How's it working out? Would this be a deal breaker for anyone? No welding that I know of. The price is right. I trust my mechanic who says it's alright except for being old and beat to hell. It'd be a second spare machine for me and don't expect to be pristine for $10-11k. But I like to take a tally of opinions before making important decisions sometimes. Also, someone may bring something to my attention that I hadn't thought of. Thanks!
1) that's not right, I've never heard of a new transmission that won't go within a couple seconds in reasonable temps. How far below zero cold are you talking about? A weak transmission is not always the worst thing that can happen, the older shuttles were fairly simple to rebuild. I don't know how easy to rebuild, or reliable this one is. 2) I'd look over the booms real well to see if anything is bent, that would cause the pins and bushings to wear out faster and bust out the bushings. Use straight edges and string on the loader and backhoe especially and their mounts. The stabilizers and cosmetics wouldn't bother me as much. Prices on everything have gone crazy with all the crazy covid money in the US. That sounds like it would have been a decent price down there a year or two ago, and it would have been a little high in the US, now it would be twice that and gone fast.
I have a series 3 580k,zero transmission problems,runs like a top mine has only 1600 hrs on it though,really like the 580,s.
Torque converter issues are kind of common. Mine only needs to warm up a minute, if that
Ye Yeah, that's the type of thing I've heard more than one place. Truth is I haven't tried the thing out yet, but I wanted to get the cash together before wasting anyone's time. Now I get to explain to dude how I want it nice and cold when I go to try it out. See about transmission and starting issues.
T Thanks Delmer, that's good advice for measuring alignments. The transmission isn't new far from it. And it is what I'm most worried about. The price is right for me, and I could possibly find something newer and prettier, but this is a known quantity. Dudes one of my close colleagues/competitors and I know he works it every day. I still gotta go look at this "perfect" backhoe two hours away but it totally sounds too good to be true so I'm probably going to end up with my buddy's old 580k Thanks!
If he works with it daily why is he selling it? Joe H
I know. My best guess is he's got a little cash saved up and a line on a somewhat nicer more expensive backhoe somewhere else. I know his brother is selling a 580m for 20k so that may have something to do with it. My mechanic says there is nothing seriously wrong with it that he knows about and I trust him. But the same dude and the owner both mentioned the transmission needs to warm up for a bit
Really like the 580k,s used to do some side job,s with it septic conversion,s water service work etc mostly for family and friends,now that I’m retired I just mess with it around the house.When I saw it for sale I was in the process of building a new house, and although we had a builder for the house,I wanted to do all my own landscaping myself told my wife I’d sell it afterwards lol that was 23 years ago.This site is really a great place,I’ve had some small repairs that I’ve done,and a lot of great people on here really made it pretty easy,can’t thank them enough, good luck with you’re purchase!