Running out of stuff to do to keep me mildly entertained. What's everyone else doing to waste time ? On a serious note, Hope everyone is staying healthy!
Equipment Echoes showed up yesterday! That ought to take a while to read.
My equipment is in the yard now. don't see anything for the near future.
Rebuilt this sash...
We have had a run of warm dryer weather so have done a bunch of yard work. Dog getting lots of walks And Biking, lots of biking.
Picked up an old dolt organizer cabinet, at the last legal auction, round here, for the duration. Got it added to the ones, in the new mower shop, sorted about 100 bins of bolts, I gots at least 1 of every SAE bolt, ever made... God I'm bored!
I'm normally home this time of year anyway. Kind of wishing for a snowstorm so I can do some plowing. Hung some doors for a neighbor, she wants her bathroom done over, but they moved her cancer treatments up so that job is done for now. A bit of snowshoeing with the dog. Have to be careful with her off leash as the skunks are starting to come out. Building a lot of toilet paper forts in the house.
Sounds like a good time to do all of that "deferred maintenance" that we have just been "too busy" to do.
Quarantine? Last week at work , rolled rods mains and an oil pump into a mack, once that was done another mack got jealous and promptly broke a water pump ,thankfully with out breaking fhe shaft and sending it thru a brand new radiator, this week been working on a project triaxle dump making it as mechanically sound as i can phase 3 of my repairs happened today pulled diffs and sent them for rebuild . This truck is gonna be my reliable spare so i can start tackling some much needed suspension work on almost the whole fleet and hopefully last few axles i havent rebuilt brake foundation on yet . So yeah quarantine going well in the shop at work lol.
Social distancing is my lifestyle, so it's no real change. I was working by myself in a wildlife management area run by our state DNR. When I got stuck, I called for help and was told we could use their equipment to retrieve ours, but all their equipment operators were working from home! ***, people who work in the woods in tractor cabs aren't isolated enough? I asked if the got to take equipment home and sit in the driveway going "uudennn, uuddeen", but I didn't get a laugh. So, the next day I rode for an hour each way in the cab of a truck with one of my employees, so he could operate their hoe to retrieve my spreader truck.
Still working...wife is too
What I am wondering, will there be another baby boom in about 9 months?
More than likely a boon for divorce lawyers...
There is a definite birthing cycle among the wives of many of us dirt tractor operators.
Probably one of the most selfess stories of quarantine came out of the Great Plague of the mid-17th Century. An entire village quarantined itself so as not to spread the virus to the larger cities around it. Thier actions probably saved the whole of the North of England from the disease. As a result of their actions 60% of the population of the village died. I'd forgotten about this story until I saw it on the BBC today despite growing up only about 20 miles away. So lighten up people - we're not facing anything like what our ancestors had to face nearly 400 years ago. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-35064071 https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-51981858/how-britain-s-plague-village-is-coming-together
Or even like the 1918 flu...So many of the people who died then wouldn't have died today. Many of them actually died from bacterial pneumonia, because antibiotics and IV fluids and etc. hadn't been invented yet. Talking about heroism in a pandemic, the 1918 flu hit this community hard and all of a sudden. My great grandparents saw people starving because they were to sick to take care of their families. They decided the children needed a mother more than a father, so he would put himself at risk, but not his family. My great-grandmother started making huge pots of soup and putting them out on the porch, and he started delivering it. He never went back in his house again, his wife and children didn't come out. He slept in one of his tobacco barns for a few weeks, and then he got sick about the time most of the people who lived started recovering and he died there in that barn. There is a plaque about him in the local church.
When you farm, work and home are pretty much the same thing, especially in the spring when a ton of stuff needs getting done. Quarantine is pretty much forced on us this year because lately everything is breaking faster than I can fix it. Right now I need to to fix the things that I need to fix other things. In the last few weeks here’s some of what we are dealing with: - CTL dropped a bearing on the drive sprocket, in the process of fixing it found other things that should be done while it is apart including a crack in the chassis pan/hydraulic tank. So now the whole undercarriage is off. Thanks ASV for making it so hard to work on this thing. - Took inventory of trees for sale and found new kind of bug. County agent said “ooh that is rare, so cool !” Great, got to spray some wildly expensive stuff to fix that because the trees are sold and ship in a month or so. - BUT, the sprayer pump blows a seal and won't hold pressure and now needs a rebuild. - Shop waste oil heater goes on the fritz and fan won’t run due to a bad thermostat. Hot wired it. - eating breakfast and the fridge starts making loud noises. That was simple. Turn off ice maker. Who needs ice anyway. - trying to pull the servo pump out of the excavator and one line won’t let go. Stupid ORB adapter wants to turn. But it is a 90 and won’t clear the pump so can’t even spin it hose and all. Got to make some sort of wrench hold it. Can’t pull the pump and deal with it later because the hose is in the way. - Trying to help my nephew get some LED lights up in his detailing shop and the tracks they sell for the strips are too narrow and don't fit. Got to make a set of dies for the power hammer to modify them. Can’t anyone make anything that works out of the box? So many parts orders being shipped in had UPS and FedEx here at the same time the other day, and USPS was only minutes behind them. At last count 26 orders in the last 2 weeks with more on the way. Oh , almost forgot I put the backhoe away for winter with a cylinder that needs repacking. Some day. Got 200 trees to dig in a few weeks. Unless they shut the state down.
Here in Eastern Washington we have a lot of cemetaries that are left over from small towns that no longer exist. It's kind of been a hobby of my other half to visit when we see one. Sadly there are a lot of family plots with dates of 1918-19 with one parent or another and 3-4 kids of varying ages. The one thing that ties them together is that most of these communities were all small railroad towns in the day. How was it spread? That's a clue.
My mom's side of the family have a story about my grandfather helping others during the last flu epidemic. Apparently he drank garlic tea, many cups of garlic tea. Grandpa claimed it was the garlic kept him healthy His family said he stank so bad, nobody would get within 20 feet of him. You be the judge. I guess he would go to all the neighbor farms and get the chores done. I never got a chance to really get to know him, he lived to far away to go see on a regular basis, he passed away when I was 10. Too bad, sure there were some good stories in there. I would try the tea but I am allergic to garlic. (Yeah, it sucks)
That seems to be my problem everyday. Work all day getting one thing off the list only to have two things added. And that was a GOOD day! Some days it would have been better just to stay in bed and watch TV.
Messed the message up will try again. I apparently need more coffee!
So in my continued isolation I decided that should get out on the road with some my bicycle and get some miles in. It is a recumbent trike not a bike but if I call it a trike people get confused. I have been getting out lately but not going to far, longest run was 30 before today. So saddled up and away I went. I was feeling pretty pleased with myself, I was only 7 or 8 minuets longer on the first leg of my route then last summer. Turned off the main highway, took the connector down to the secondary highway. Needed a water stop and a snack so pulled over in the same place that I always did last summer. Nice rural spot, farms on both sides of the road, very pretty. Grabbed my bag of tail mix and was just going to dive in when I hear a woman screaming at the top of her lungs. Thinking ***, I look over in the direction of the noise Here comes this HUGE dog. HUGE, did I say HUGE. Crap, drop the bag of trail mix back into my handle bar bag and start pedaling. Now here is the fun part. I have electric assist on the trike. Hills suck, bad knees, don't judge me. With the system I have I am able to adjust my power setting and max speed with the twist of a dial and the push of a button. The hubmotor will spin at 48 Km/h max. So had the power up to 800 watts, 48 Km/h max speed and spun that crank as fast as I could. Happy to report that I outran the great big cyclist eating SOB. I was reaching for my can of dog repellent spray but that is the absolute last resort, glad I didn't have to deploy it. Got down the road, checked for anymore dogs, cats, chickens, ducks whatever and stopped. Got heart back into the safe zone and not up on the red line anymore, had my snack, drink of water, reset the power back to 80 watts and 32 Km/h max speed and enjoyed the rest of my ride. Got in 50 Km total. Great day.
He's still looking for you...
Personally I'd be more afraid of a Chihuahua than that one! Seems the little ones have what I call a "Small dog Syndrome"! The big one's tend to be more of a problem from the tongue than the teeth. But then there are exceptions to any rule!
Oh man, you have no idea. I have an eight bound Pomeranian cross. He is 13 years old, missing 1/2 of his teeth and I have to pick him up and hold him when we meet other dogs. Little beggar will try to start a fight every time. I was going to but a basket on the back of the trike and let the little monster come with me but since I'm sitting so low, if he meets another dog and gets stupid, well, it might not be good. I'm pretty much at eye level with most dogs that I meet, and most dogs have no idea what the trike is so little doggo will stay home.
OH COME ON, I SAID BIG DOG HAHAHAHA I love Danes, such gentle giants. A friend of mine had 2, he used to take them in to visit the old folk at the rest homes in town, big hits, people just loved them. on edit And that is a great picture
Glad to hear the E-bike trails are proceeding as scheduled! EXCELLENT!!
This is the big bike The little ebike is still in devlopment. I did take it around the block the other day, it was impresive.
The Pom
I see the Pom is in full blown unicorn detection mode. That is great!
This was unicorn detection mode and his response when he couldn't find one
Have to laugh when the noob UPS driver stops in front and honks the horn....before he gets the package out of the back he's got 120lbs of golden retiever in the truck with him....lol. Ed
My brother had two black Danes, good dogs only you need a 988 to clean up the yard.
I’ve noticed a woman around my house, apparently she’s my wife. She seems nice.
Bah hahahah!!!
Might want to upgrade to a 992! And did you notice the left ear of that Dane, probably some Pomeranian attacked him!
Still working here...no indication that we'll shut down.
Yup, still working here, also deemed essential. Printing industry.
Go sent to the showers for 2 weeks by my boss. I am in the at risk group and he threw me out of the game for my own safety. He called this morning and explained his position and how concerned he is for our staff. He indicated that he would rather go a little backwards then risk anyone’s health. I was very impressed with his reasoning and touched by his concern. Pretty cool dude I reckon... does not get much better than that.
I haven't missed a day yet but Governor Baker just issued a stay at home order to take effect tomorrow. I'll have to see which businesses are exempt...
I just read the list. Forestry is considered essential as is public works. The list complete is on the State Covid19 page.
I guess I'll keep going...
The list... https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-essential-services/download
It is good to be ‘portant!
LOL I keep the sheet house clean hahaha!
I'm actually construction so I'm still exempt. What business are you in?
I work for a public works outfit out of the Worcester neighborhood. Heavy Highway mostly. Is that a Tak you're running?
I lived in Worm town from '74 till '83. It's a different town now.
Did a bunch of night shift work down there a month or so ago... very interesting in the dark!!
Came home from Hawaii last week. On 2 week self isolation now. I had at least 2weeks work backed up in shop when I left so for now it’s business as usual with no interruptions. Strange to say but I’m ok with that for now. I try not to think about where we will be by next month . I hope things are getting better by then.
One good thing. The government will invest in construction and road building to stimulate the economy after this is past.
If there’s any money left. Alberta’s pretty much tapped out. Maybe pipeline would be a good investment.
Interestly my cousin is a rig foreman working on the terminal marine infrastructure for the Trans Mountain line. They are pushing hard on that one. Another business associate has his rig geared up for Kitimat Marine Infrastructure ,just held up now for virus issues in the camp. Be patient we are going to get those lines. Me , i just built a sandbox for my neighbors sequestered kids . I took them over a bucket of sand with the loader and they were thrilled. Nothin but big jobs for me now!
Well... without getting political..... normally the best way to stimulate economic growth is through infrastructure spending but there are those that seem to think Canada can survive without the west. I am a firm believer that the mining and oil and gas industry is pretty much all we have left. The fishing and logging industry is pretty much toast in the Atlantic provinces. New Brunswick is pretty much just the province you drive through to get to Nova Scotia or PEI. I'm sure the Irvings would love to have your oil if the other two provinces would get of the high horse and let the pipeline come through.
Got the stay at home order from the high priestess today. No big deal as I work from home....lol. Starting a big project this week soooo bring it on. Ed
Which island ?
Big Island.
K.. Around Hawi ?
Had a place in Kailua-Kona . Toured most of the island made 1200 miles on rental car. Love the roads there . Cold and stormy here today. Good day to isolate oneself in a warm shop.
Well guys, here is the thing. Yesterday I managed to PO another member, a guy I have huge respect for. Not my intention but I did. On another forum I have some guy going Mongo on me for no other reason then the fact that I am Canadian. Another forum got stupid. Got WAY TOO POLITICAL. I basically told them to stuff it and deleted my profile. I have made that decision that for the next month other then LOCAL news and movies, I am stepping away from the internet. I'm worried about my wife, she is at risk I'm worried about my daughter, she is in healthcare, at home right now waiting for the call to come in when the front line falls. I'm watching my retirement saving going down, down, down. I don't want to do or say anything to further upset anyone else, even if by mistake. People are just way too uptight right now. So stay safe people. If I'm still here in a month or so, I'll check back in.
Stay safe. What is going on up island was good to know about. You will be missed. d.d.
There isn't anybody around here going to give you any **** or a hard time, because the moderators won't allow it right along with the other members. So don't go anywhere- those are orders from the top {who ever that may be}. But I'm just a #3 grease monkey and carry no weight.
Best to you and your family worn out wrench. See you in a month when things calm down.
Do what you feel is the right thing... I will of course be as supportive as possible! However I am standing with Truck Shop on this. You are a good guy. It really does not matter where your from. Good people are hard to find and we as a group are blessed to find so many in one spot. Hang in there WOW! Don’t let someone else take something from you that is rightfully yours.
Maybe whoever you told off really needed to know where off was??
Take good care of your wife and family wornout wrench. It sounds like your wife isn't in the best of health, and now's not the time for extra stress. Also good luck to your daughter, healthcare people are all really concerned by me. When this has cooled down- just like SARS- H1N1- swine flu- ebola- lyme disease- y2k- great recession of 2008 and the 90's farm crisis, and many others ( which were all going to change the world forever) please stop back here and check in. I will count on seeing you in a month or so, this too will pass away and the world will keep turning. Best wishes wornout wrench.
Office is closed, 3 cases of Covid19 now in the county. Going to the coast to continue the 4 year project beach home that I have barely have dried in. Minimizing my contact with the public. Plenty plumbing and electrical work to get ready for spray-in insulator. Be safe my friends!
Worn out wrench I have enjoyed you writing here and feel that this forum in particular for me is an escape from the day to day worries. My family too has the health worries, self included. I need someplace to focus on problems and sometimes some silliness and you are a part of that. I will miss your contribution and hope to see/ read you again. You and your family be well, Cam
Spud Monkey signing out too, till this is over with... ‘drops mic’
Got a reminder robo call last week telling me I had a doctors appointment the next day and ask for confirmation, "Yes". Got an email confirming the confirmation. Next morning doctors office called said the doc had self sequestered (age) and asked if I could defer appointment to anther doc in the office, "Yes". Again, robo call ask for confirmation, email confirming the confirmation. Ten minutes later AGAIN doctors office called said the doc had self sequestered (age) and asked if I could defer appointment to yet anther doc in the office, "Yes". Again, robo call ask for confirmation, email confirming the confirmation. About an hour later the doctors office called said they needed to defer appointment to 24th, "Yes". Again, robo call ask for confirmation, email confirming the confirmation. Which brings us to, today the 24th. 10:00am rolls around, we show up and half the parking lot is cordoned off with CV-19 and bio-hazard sings everywhere. we treked the maze and pull up at the doctors office, half a step inside and was hit by a barrage of of medical personal and questions from each; Name? Age? Appointment? Doctors name?... those are the ones I remember. Hold on - stay there. She went to receptionist and returned and ask if I had got a phone call this morning canceling the appointment? "Nope". They politely asked us to leave due to age. "OK" Turning out of the parking lot my cell phone rings and yes it was the doctors office calling to cancel the appointment. Wordy way of saying doctors office canceled my appointment three times in one hour and again two days later, today. I have no complainants because we haven't experienced these concerns we have only read about them now we all pull up our pants, pull in the belt another notch and do the right thing. Give what you can when you can and we will get through this together. I've seen first hand the medical field trying to get a foot hold on this pandemic and like the soldier on the front lines of a daunting imminent battle they are standing fast in the face of adversity. In my mind all of them are TRUE UNSUNG H E R O S !!
do not let what any body says that joy from you and yours, they have not been there done that ,( walked a mile in your shoes) do your good and that is what matters, they are going to think the way they want anyway.god bless the care takers,best to you and yours. my two cents
First day in lockdown tomorrow, the country stops for a minimum for 4 weeks. Take care of yourselves and your families, everybody.
I , for one, am not going to live in fear over this. Its business as usual here and I dont see that stopping. If I suddenly disappear ..............you will know I made the wrong decision.
Later spud..
You don't have to live in fear, but all this has to be taken seriously. It's not that you get the virus, it's who you give it to. You might get sick, and it will pass, but perhaps that person you were talking to picks up the germs you are incubating and takes them home to someone in poor health. This social distancing is supposed to minimize the risk. They closed the churches to manage the spread. One of my neighbors had the entire congrigation over to his home, including many elderly men and women. Not smart.
Better safe than sorry. A good life is about making wise choices. If not for yourself, what about your loved ones?? I like the world I've built and staying home is a pleasure! Social distancing? Not a problem. Just remember the difficult people you have to deal with. It's nice to take a break from them. The sooner people understand this is real, the sooner life will get back to 'normal'.
Going to find some old raingear and build a raft and carve a head to lay on my pillow...so when I get ready to go over the the wall in mid April, I'll be ready
if you poke around, you can see all the nutjob theories. The latest, a guy figures that the house of Winsor hired a lab to develope the virus and infect Prince Charles, so prince William would become king after the Queen
In a similar vein, deaths from chloroquine poisoning now on the rise after the common anti-malarial drug was touted as a cure ......... This just one example - https://www.bbc.com/news/52012242 My 2c - Darwin's just dropped not a bucketful but a whole road tanker-load of bleach in the gene pool. i can see when the 2020 Awards List is published in about 12 months from now it'll be full of cases like that.
To those going off line, I'll miss the posts that you don't put up here. To those at risk, stay as safe as possible. To those that still have to work around people, follow the recommendations and don't temp fate. I'm here because I am still learning and enjoy all the points of view and love reading and sharing past experiences. Besides, so far as I know, you can't get the bug from the phone or the internet.
More fun with fire!
Dang!, that blower really gets things going!!
We don't have that option here. Every business is shut down, unless it is an essential business of which there are few.
Looks different there. I plowed snow yesterday here
X2- John C !! I have been doing maintenance on my old T/L/B. Kinda like picking your nose - when do you stop ? I spent way more than I anticipated on the swing cylinders. I have a thread going about them in Shop Talk. I'm going to update that thread when I have everything back together. I got a lot of good advice there. Anyway I finally reinstalled them only to find one of the boom lock hoses that i had to pry on started leaking like sieve. So, out comes the newly installed RH swing cylinder. I had to hacksaw the old leaky sob into three pieces to get it out. The hose is 14 inches long and has to be twisted in a very weird way install the new one it. It will require separating the backhoe from the tractor.
They just shut Idaho down. I think making a living is essential business.
I have a great deal of who I will call friends here, any and all are welcome in my home as most of us have walked in same shoes similar miles, very similar troubles. HATE to hear backing away a while. As all know am retired so stick around the home place much of the time, old Fat Allis keeps my attention besides the Wife required duty projects, wife is still working works for a company called Laserlight LLC. They punch teeny tiny holes in such as blood filters, inkjet heads, pace maker cases so her job is pretty well Essential and she is away from me much of the time which keeps us from killing each other CV19 is in four next door counties as of now, last cases found were less than 30 miles as crow flies away. MO has around 320 cases, lost 8 or 9 so far, fear for my niece and her brood in IL as well cousins all over IL but mostly rural. Do not know if have lost old contacts down in the city or in IL as yet, time will eventually let us find out.
I'm finding time to do all those things around the apartment that I had promised myself I'd do when I get around to it. Well I now have a round tuit (and time) therefore I have no reason not to get into that list. https://www.starlingsgifts.co.uk/product-page/round-tuit-coaster-plate-mat One thing I do need though is a Dremel, and with all the DIY stores being closed the job that requires that particular tool will have to wait.
Wife made me a Paper Plate Tuit once long ago, is STILL in my tool box!! A "Round Tuit"!
Send me an address. I will loan you mine.
First case reported in our town. Turns out to be a 23 year old girl that my oldest son used to date. Now that's getting close!
We got one nearby, about 6 miles away up here in the granite state of mind.
Well--I'm around tuit every morning, up at 4 am and headed to work at 5:15. We have so many loads to move in the dispatchers office and the rigs need service and repairs. I start the day sanitizing anything and everything anyone would touch in the shop except tools and the like. Challenger Black Nitrile gloves are to be worn when in cab or around the cab. I have masks for everyone including office personnel. I put up with no BS in the shop from drivers or anyone else, {Keep your distance, shut up[ or better yet leave the shop until we are done}. Cleaning commonly touched items in the shop goes on all day. It's my job to keep everyone safe in and around the shop, and if I have to be way more than stern about it I will at the drop of a hat.
Have you found an old fan to use as a drill yet??? if not I probably have one of those good old ones here somewhere make sure you have plenty of TP to make the other stuff with...
You can mash up wet cardboard for paper mache.
Ahhhhh, but where do you find cardboard when confined.... now TP is always easy to fin..... oh wait a minute...
We a got a letter today to keep in our trucks and cars incase more strict things happen stating we are exempt.i dont think anyone is riding 2 in any dozers or loaders anyways only crews that work close to eachother are the pipe crews and some of the asphalt crew. Im alone in the shop most of the day except when office staff comes to the snack machine or owner comes out to check on me .
I have two sheets of paper on my dash board. Why that photo went side ways I don't know.
Iphone image ?
I phone? I have a flip phone that's over 12 years old. I don't need no I phone.
I told my daughters the same thing, until I bought one. What they can do is amazing !
Don't think so... Filename - flakey1.JPG Make - EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY Model - KODAK EASYSHARE C533 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA Orientation - Top left XResolution - 230 YResolution - 230 ResolutionUnit - Inch Software - Microsoft Windows Photo Viewer 6.1.7600.16385 DateTime - 2020:03:25 17:48:25 YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited ExifOffset - 2352 ExposureTime - 1/60 seconds FNumber - 2.70 ExposureProgram - Normal program ISOSpeedRatings - 80 ExifVersion - 0221 DateTimeOriginal - 2019:03:31 20:42:56 DateTimeDigitized - 2019:03:31 20:42:56 ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr ShutterSpeedValue - 1/64 seconds ApertureValue - F 2.83 ExposureBiasValue - 0.00 MaxApertureValue - F 2.73 MeteringMode - Center weighted average LightSource - Auto Flash - Flash fired, auto mode FocalLength - 6.00 mm FlashPixVersion - 0100 ColorSpace - sRGB ExifImageWidth - 1932 ExifImageHeight - 2576 InteroperabilityOffset - 9462 ExposureIndex - 80 SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor FileSource - Other SceneType - Other CustomRendered - Normal process ExposureMode - Auto White Balance - Auto DigitalZoomRatio - 0.00 x FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 37 mm SceneCaptureType - Standard GainControl - None Contrast - Normal Saturation - Normal Sharpness - Normal SubjectDistanceRange - Unknown Maker Note (Vendor): - Thumbnail: - Compression - 6 (JPG) Orientation - Right top XResolution - 72 YResolution - 72 ResolutionUnit - Inch JpegIFOffset - 9606 JpegIFByteCount - 3191
The quarantine headed south for poor Marlin today, he's the granddaughters dog and she learned to ride her bike with no training wheels...lol He felt it was needed to follow her everywhere...now his 120lb arse is sacked out in the shop. Going to be like waking the dead when I go home. Ed
you may be right . if these folks had listened to what was actually said there would have been no problem . what they took was a solution to clean fish tanks which is an entirely different stuff not the approved pill form
They probably read on the internet somewhere that it was the same thing...
Now Ronsii how did you come up with that?
How the definition of an Expert has changed over the years...........
It's just the first few K in the headers of the pic file.
Interesting.
I'm going to have start hiding my name like Nige does when he logs on.
When I took the National Fire Academy instructors course in 198?, it said on the first page of the textbook that the definition of an expert was: "A man, fifty or miles from home, carrying a briefcase". That's the same principle, just updated
I always understood the definition of an Expert to be....... "an Ex is a has-been, and a spert is a drip under pressure"
Well am trying to get things done at home and buried my skidsteer to the point my truck would not pull it out. Might have to violate and and get a winch over to pull it out.
Try getting a friend with another truck and do a 'train pull' with the sturdiest truck in the middle.
Did you push with the bucket while pulling?
I see @Ronsii knows how to extract EXIF data. Spoiler: EXIF Data EXIF is short for Exchangeable Image File, a format that is a standard for storing interchange information in digital photography image files using JPEG compression. Almost all new digital cameras use the EXIF annotation, storing information on the image such as shutter speed, exposure compensation, F number, what metering system was used, if a flash was used, ISO number, date and time the image was taken, whitebalance, auxiliary lenses that were used and resolution. Some images may even store GPS information so you can easily see where the images were taken!
Like a .jpg that has the info., it can be easily removed from a photo that has exif. I learned about when I purchased my first Iphone. Sadly, at some point in time Iphones started storing the gps location of where the photo was taken.
Our lock down starts tonight. Not really worried, me and SO work from home for the duration of the lock down. Also got a permit to travel in my area for callouts and on standby as a ambulance driver if shyte really hits the fan. And the yard is 1000 square meters, if cabin fever strikes.
Let me clarify my position a bit. Im self employed and work alone. I travel to each job alone, and 95% of the time I am working to repair equipment alone. The only interaction I get with others is IF I go to the grocery store with my wife. I know I am in a unique position which indeed helps to keep the fear away.
Yeah, I used to just go in with a hex editor and find what I needed for fixing files/recovering things like pw's and such but nowadays most all the decent photoshop type proggies have tools in them to find/insert/change just about any data you want....
work here as allways chicken and cows have no off day, the good they are out in open blue sky. be safe an god bless!
sillej you have winch chain or cable on tracks, if nothing else pole from track to track tie to tracks and pull under machine out it comes may have to do a few times if bad , but you always have way out
Got my brother to come over with a winch. Tied truck off to a tree and winched it out.
Had my forks to move some logs. They just churned the soup more.
Cousin hung a 555G Deere, high centered it in a old pond bowl, only needed a assist off his farm tractor and two old snags pitched into rear to get rails up on something solid.
Beautiful sunny day, here, got to like 58ºF, here, today, got to do something I like to do. Working on a produce wagon, for a friend. Basically putting a roof on a old hay wagon. Put the end frames on, and it was about an inch outta square (measured diagonals) Hooked a come-a-long to the long side, pulled the 2X6 frame, right into square. Locked it there, by inlaying a couple 1X6 braces, into the top surfaces of the 2X6's, and glued them in with gorilla glue and 2 screws per brace end. Man that pin oak 1X6 sure was hard screwin! Hadda start the screws, then back out, repeat several times, for each screw! Sure beats waitin in line, fer TP, though!
Number One and Number Two helpers working on putting thumb on machine down. Pretty day here. It got close to 90° today.
cold here this evening. Puddles from snow melting today are frozen
91f here today spent it building fence for goats
Day 2 in lockdown today. Considering if I can cryogenically freeze myself in the chest freezer for the next month.
A notice from the Psychiatric Association: Dear citizens: During the QUARANTINE time it is considered normal to talk to your walls, plants and pots. Kindly contact us only if they reply.
Did I hear a request?
Was in mid 70s here yesterday, already well over 60 as a rolling warm front moves north. Quite an impressive light show around 2 this morning as I walked off another sore night, rains followed the I-70 corridor KC to STL we were spared. Local restaurant we often stopped into was running a carryout special yesterday, Pan Fired Chicken with smashed taters white gravy and a peas mixed vege du jour with a piece of Carrot Cake for $9. Wife and I sat at the river front after she got off work, watched the water pass and listened to the UP train that blew thru picnic style eating dinner then came home.
nice here too,work allways got rid of three houses of chickens (30000) trying to clean out houses, get new ones in three weeks. track bobcat t200 is brain dead got it on trailer to go to mobile for new one ,1840 case fan belt went to making noise, yea about like any other day, at lease cows stayed put . it was a good day to be alive.
How much room do you have? Rental space available?
have my dads small house on 57 acers sister has 20 on each side all neighbors are good
Man, it seems that your hands come out from a right place
i have been blessed, to have wife three kids (one girl two boys) and good people like yall to be around all my life, thanks for reminding me, in times like these ease to look at all the bad,God bless each and every one.
Figure poke my head in here while I'm in cell phone range for time being. Reason I'm going offline is hunkering down is I'm home and in a place away from any cell phone reception even with a booster and there is no internet lines running here, nor any power lines and the mail only runs 3 days a week. Be safe out there folks and please respect the ones who take this serious. Might drop a line next time in range...
Might be a bit cosy
I have an Amcrest View security camera in my shop. I am on their email list for new offers. I received an offer today. One of them is link to a disgusting rip-off for N95 respirator masks. 10 masks for $59.90 ! Oh, but there is a code you can apply for 10% off. Sheesh .
On Faceplant are literally two to three NEW ads per day for TP, ANY volume, factory shipping. Raised the BS Flag when I started seeing them, Scammers on the loose. Same exact add, different FB ID's.
They locked down the city our main branch is in. Didn’t affect them...we are in the essential category. asked the boss today what the incoming business looks like he said should stay steady.
Here is a ******** flag for ya to raise, dmiller !
Summary of quarantina :
Gotta love the Irish !!!
We are living good here at home. We can easily survive on our normal to us stored supplies. We have always had two big bags of good toilet paper stashed in the closet with the other staples we purchase on the blowout sales. We are not spending any money running around so I am spending my time on line looking at "new" antique toys to satisfy my addition when this is over. As long as we stay holed and cant spend out money, my stash should continue to grow. My biggest worry that I am concerned about is that I will forget my social skills and be thrown out of Arts Cafe if they survive and are allowed to re-open some day.
Quarantine officially over. Good news. No symptoms or illness. No so good news, in the last two weeks everywhere is now closed and I've been laid off!!
I believe it is going to take a lot longer for the economy to recover than it will to recover from the virus. China has reopened some of there manufacturing and opening more each day. As long as we keep buying and don't manufacture much here we will soon find ourselves in this pickle again.
Mrs used to joke with me, “how can I miss you when you never go away?” Now, it’s not so much of a joke... Hardest part is not hugging grandkids!
Great news and the quarantine! Too bad about being laid off though. Are you working on machines primarily for the industry?
Metallurgical coal mines in southern BC as a subcontractor contractor has been my primary go to for some time now. The price of coal and virus has been the final blow to that. And agreed, it will likely be a good few months minimum before things even consider getting back to normal.
Small recreational and entertainment communities as ours will be hurt awhile. Airbnb, General B&Bs, Guest houses, wineries distilleries restaurants all require foot traffic with personal service. Will be months after this is done before any level of return to normal occurs. The Rural community will manage some as livestock still gets bought and sold, meat or produce or grains still supplied for consumption as we still must eat. Loggers will have issues, oil patch personnel will have issues as fuels use has slipped to a minimum, consumer extravagance goods as specialized foods, custom art/decoration pieces, even replacement autos and trucks will be limited for quite a period. Ag industry will manage as always does, mechanics will remain busy as will trade techs for power and fuels or structures repairs. Once this calms out even the truck herders will get a little extra rest as supplies will still be needed but maybe not so heavy a demand for extras.
I'm doing fine.. I rarely leave "the compound" anyway.. & if I do, its to go to the Post Office or the bank.. I pulled up to the bank the other day & there was a LINE of people standing in the Drive-Thru.. WTH.?? THEN I remembered.. the virus.. The bank doors are locked.. lol The ONLY worry I have is> the wife works at Walmart.!!! & HAS TO deal w/ "Wal-martians" EVERY day.!! U know the ones.. the people that have on their pajamas to go shopping.... or the ones that have on 2 different shoes..& GREEN hair.. & are always screaming "to see the manager".. Yeah, those are the people she HAS TO deal with.. Every nite she text me, she's on the way.. or she's warming up the car.. & every nite I text her back, "wash your hands".. lol.. I text THAT so many times, it comes up on my phone automatically.. {no ****} Ya'll stay safe..
<still trying to grasp woman here that says shes my wife
Well... be careful where you grasp her you might end up in ICU!!!!
I don't think anything will go back to normal until most everyone has had the disease and survived, or a vaccine is made that protects everyone from the disease. No one is immune, most only get a little sick but many get sick and die. Right now no one knows if there are long term effects and a vaccine is only a pipe dream. We are told to stay home not to keep us from getting the disease, but instead to keep from overwhelming out health care system. So what happens in July or August if only 30% of the country has gotten and survived the disease? Is our government going to take the brakes off and tell everyone to go forth and mingle? You still have 70% of the population at risk. How many people can our health care system handle at one time? I think that if you want your business or livelihood to survive this, you are going to have to put on your thinking cap and find a new way of accomplishing it without involving a lot of close quarters communication with your people. The world, as we know it, was changed in January and February of this year.
John, I have telling people that the world has changed a hellofalot the past few months and most are like No, we will go back to the old ways as before. For example in Enterprise Computer Hardware it used to be 5 to 10 bodies on site to build and commission solutions, now it down to 1 body on site to do the physical unpacking, cabling, power on and getting the equipment on a network. From there on it is all remote/virtual access, meetings etc. Even companies that were totally against working from home if possible are weighing their options. I understand that construction is a totally other ball game, but at some stage the fewer bodies on site required will be the norm. How it is going possible I don't know. Although I can not think how I will be able to operate a machine remotely without the "arse on seat" sensor.
Changed the filters and oil on the generator yesterday. Starting on mounting the solar panels today.
Good luck trying to get everyone to take a vaccine. The anti establishments will have a field day with that one. Read that if you take it, to let your fever run it's course as it helps fight it off. I thought that was the purpose of a fever, but anyway. keep hydrated, and try to take regular deep breaths to keep from getting pnemonua.
IMHO this thing will have long run its course before the medical profession comes up with a vaccine. The best estimate right now seems to be mid-2021, and even that might be optimistic. Better to let everyone get infected and recover (or not, as the case may be), the quicker the better, and then the sooner that herd immunity kicks in.
I believe-{ not trying to be a smart ***} that I stated earlier in this thread {It's come home and it's come home to roost}. This day and age society has a tendency of taking damn near everything for granted. In 2005-long before I was on this forum I had been stating the U.S. is in for a crash because of the bad paper and phony stock market values. Ever one but one person that I said that to told me I was full of ****. I pulled my resources in and stood back and watched and noted it was not I that was full of **** but everyone else that wasn't willing to look at what was happening. For years I was told there will never be another crash like 1929 because the government won't let it happen. This pandemic has been waiting in the wings off stage for years and years. Many books have been written about this very item and the calamity that would ensue in modern times. In the Seattle area as well as other major populated areas there have been zero hospitals built in the last 20 years and population climbing. Reason-one to two day out patient surgeries-no long stays-more open beds. Then you have a catastrophe like this you not only don't have enough beds and equipment there isn't enough health care people to go around-------It has to do with the modern business philosophy which has crept it's way into everyone's lives.-----------DO MORE WITH LESS.---Well it's here so get use to doing a fine job with less toilet paper, cleaning supplies, some foods and most of all the hardship everyone will experience one way or another. And I really don't like sounding like a fatalist but the truth is the truth.
I can tell you this if I ever hear a news story about more than 5 Chinese people with a fever. I am selling everything I own and buying a hole in the ground. Then I am jumping in and pulling it in behind me.
Have felt that way at least as long.
Still working here, 3 days last week and 4 days this week. Talked to one customer today, they are not changing plans because of this still want to build as soon as permits are done. I'm hoping permits aren't delayed too much that is really what will stop my work. They are still going ahead with having the tenants move out end of april and demo the house right after. Nice part I like is residential demolition is considered essential, so long as a dump is open I will still be working some even if they shut down everything else. Would like for this to be over soon instead of long drawn out half way. But as long as not shut down for more then 2 months i'm not worried I have enough to pay everything. Stocked up on parts to do all repairs and maintenance on everything so I will be busy for a month with that easily. And my yard will never be cleaner pretty soon with the extra time!
You said a mouthful when you said we are way under on having enough hospital beds. Many hospitals increased there capacities for serving patients but never had a need to add beds. In the last 30 years is we went from 250 bed hospitals for a dozen operating rooms and adjacent infrastructure to about 50 beds for the same number of surgical suites and infrastructure dependent on what the facility specialized in. And it takes a pretty decent surgery now to even make the OR. Most small stuff happen in the procedure rooms with a local antithesis. When I retired 5-1/2 years ago we were building lots of new midsize hospitals at 29 beds maximum. Over that the licensing's and staffing guidelines change and most communities could not afford it.
Here in BC we have spent a generation or more killing good industry for clean non contributive service industries aka. tourism. All that stuff has hit the wall now. Solid productive industry can keep people working thru this mess .. 10 years ago i had an industrial waterfront site with 15 employees doing marine construction and whatever kind of industrial work we could find. We could work through this with precautions, but its tough for restaurants and cruise ships. Today theres a bike path and trees planted on our old site and everyone though it was wonderful to get rid of that industrial eyesore.
Yep, same here, I work in the woods, and on farms by myself or maybe see one person every other day. My wife has been at Wal-mart 29 years, I figure we will get it, hopefully just stay home and feel like hammered feces for a week, and not give it to any of the high-risk people we know.
Learned something new today. When I work for the SC DNR, I email my invoice to the director of the division involved, he makes sure all my 'i's are dotted and my 't's are crossed, then he tells me to mail it in for payment, then approves it and sends it the check writers. This way I don't mail in an error, and then I have to go through a correction process, I emailed my invoice and got an email back that he is working from home, and will send my invoice for payment once he gets back in the office!! No guess when. If it's not soon, I will complain.
Ah yes, bureaucracy survives! Are trying that same eliminate industry here but then argue of how to raise taxes as cannot get enough off service sector Then the fights start We have the KATY (old MKT) RR trail here sees some use but not enough to justify the expenses so gets left to nature in the more remote areas Are several groups trying the same for the old Rock Island ROW south of here quoting economic Boon ignoring all associated expenses Pretty certain no budget for it any time soon
If you can work from home, who needs high priced office space? If you can do your job from home via the internet, Patel can do your job from his home in Mumbai or Bangalore. If we can teach students remotely, why do we need so many teachers? The very best teachers can reach thousands of students, everyone else becomes a minder. Same thing for colleges, why do we need multi-billion dollar campuses for internet classes? Patel isn't going to remotely run a blade or hoe, but the buildings we build may become obsolete.
First case of C19 about 20 miles from here. It's getting closer.....That community , a bunch of bible pounders.... not that I begrudge anyone their faith, but like my father said "They're like cats, you know they're doing it, but you can't catch them." It will spread like crazy, because even though they closed the churches, they all go to each other's homes and prey together. Like that well dressed man on the radio says, " the only people that should be in your house are the people that live there. Not your neighbors, not your best friends, not your brother, just you."
Here on Vancouver Island theres a persistant movement to turn the E&N Railway into a bike path ,wasting grade and infrastructure thats already in place and worth millions.
Then there's that bible thumper in Florida they arrested for holding services just the other day! Maybe we should just let them all get together and then set up a perimeter around them! Deliver food and other supplies but not let them back out till they are all "cured"
Apparently they feel they will be protected by their faith. Apparently mother nature doesn't see it the same way.
From the Forum Rules: No discussion of politics unrelated to the heavy equipment industry should be made. Slanderous references to political beliefs or parties should not be made within these posts, such as flaming lefty, right wing zealot or other similar type label. No posts of religious or racist content may be made. Fortunately, we haven't very often had to remind anyone of the Forum Rules with reference to religion--certainly not nearly as often as we've had to remind people about politics. (Which, admittedly hasn't been terribly often either.) Nevertheless, if it's going to be mentioned at all, it should be understood that the same sort of standard applies. The words chosen should avoid "labels", or even overly broad generalizations, which some might find offensive. Thanks in advance for taking this into consideration.
Reading Nige's post about the Norton bike scam, I'm wondering how much pensions, investments, etc are going be trash after this.
Why all of them JimBob.........
What about the Amazon warehouse staying open despite an employee testing positive. A group of employee's are staying home without pay. If anyone should be charged maybe that's where they should set a precedent and fine Amazon. Would anybody want to work in a building where someone tested positive? Other people could be positive and not showing symptoms yet. Not like Bezo's can't afford to pay employee's to stay home. He's worth over $105 billion. https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loc...-stays-open-despite-coronavirus-case/2244955/
Our county just got its first Positive, are not telling WHERE inside the county just is inside the county.
Our county doesn't have a case yet
Local grocery store just announced that they have an employee test positive. Store's still open.
There are cases everywhere, hell there's five in this town and Pasco, Kennewick and Richland-The Tri Cities is expected to balloon. It's only 50 miles away. I just keep my distance stay washed and keep the work area clean and people in it on their toes about distance and wearing gloves around the truck cabs and anything the driver would touch like landing gear cranks, glad hands, hood latches, def caps grab bars and handles of any kind. It takes longer to get a job done when doing all that but it's safer on everyone. And parts people drop the parts outside the shop. I can control 98% of what happens in the shop by staying on everyone's butt and making them understand things have changed.
Listened to a doctor being interviewed, stated obese are first up serious cases followed by smokers/vapers, anything as cause for already labored breathing will see a serious level on case. Have been several very healthy persons died of this while some had only flu like symptoms. Worse case scenario, brother's ex co worker, felt like having heart attack so went to and walked in ER, was a Covid Positive, within two hours was on a ventilator in ICU and comatose. 10 days later he is recovering but still sick yet off the vent. They believe he was infected at COMO airport picking up a kid as a Uber Driver.
Well I was kind of lonely until I made a new friend, Wilson. He is the silent type. Kept catching him with the wrenches but now he wants to drive as well.
They just had a preacher defy the order here, too. Bowie, MD megachurch, the evangel cathedral, or something like that. Preacher was touching congregation, as he touched, they fell to the floor. I know that virus is fast, but didn't know it was that fast! https://www.fox5dc.com/news/prince-...-holds-service-in-defiance-of-governors-order
Well the **** hit the fan here today. My daughter is a guard at the state prison located in town here. For the last two weeks they have checked the guards every day on their way in for symptoms of the viris. Yesterday, a prisoner had symptoms and tested positive. Today five more tested positive as of 2 PM. Turns out the busloads of prisoners they are nillie willie bringing in being hauled in from all over the place are not given even a sideways glance as far as health is concerned. I'm a bit worried about it all. Son in law is under a mandated 2 weeks quarantine from his hospital construction job because the almost two year old granddaughter had a fever one day. Day care required him to pick her up as the daughter was working at the prison and they are short handed so lots of double shifts. Now with 3 kids ranging up to eight years old and momma's in a sick building every day. They better be doing a cell lockdown and confine in place. Not much different than the brave folks working in the hospitals. I give them all a ton of credit and all my gratitude.
Amusing, but don't forget the rules, I don't like getting a rakin. Not what you said, but using the quote
The Amazon thing has two sides. Amazon says the guy told them he was exposed and they told him to stay home. They say he came in the next day and did this strike thing. The news media right now is only telling his side of the story. I've got hundreds of cases all around me. So far I don't know anyone that has it. My mother is in memory care and those people are all scared. No visitors and suppliers can only get to designated entrances and areas. I dread the phone call if it gets in there.
They all say the same thing Stay home if you can, keep your distance if you can't. I went to get a few supplies today, the grocery stores are just as busy as always. Some people get it, some don't. Most avoid coming close, others will reach across in front of you to get the frozen peas. They say the virus is a protein wrapped in a fatty liquid, that's why soap gets rid of it, because once it loses it's coating of grease, it degrades. If it likes grease, I'm glad I'm not a mechanic. A mask won't really help unless someone sneezes or coughs in your face, but it can prevent you from touching your face.
There are only two germs/bacteria that can live in petroleum products.
Virus not alive though but i do get enough solvents on my hands in a day to more then break down its protective fat, i really should wear my nitrile gloves but i cant fricken find any atm.
Before the lockdown I was involved in the construction of a prison complex. There was a prisoner suspected of carrying the virus pre-lockdown, and the first any of us on the construction site knew was when it was in the media.
Lots of seat time here today.
Boredom Doth Hath Days!! Went to barn, set out trash for pickup, got my old 180 AC and back to house. Screened some rock then decided to set some of the bigger bordering rock, to which seemed dry enough, TIME TO PLAY. Took the 7G for a ride, busted out a few (11) cedar and locust stumps in the pasture along a fence replaced not long ago, went on down to barn had to cross the renters feedlot so trial by fire IE-Feedlot. All done with where wanted to be for the day, made dinner, old fashioned Iron Dutch Oven pot roast taters carrot celery and sweet tater chunks.
Little rocks, leftovers from sewer system excavations when built house, stumps along fence line to right of fence.
Just right!
Is a Genuine purpose for those tin shields!! Poop Diverters!!
All that work and you JUST had to muddy it up.
That's manure!!
That's even worse! Now you have to wash it off so the manure doesn't eat away the undercarriage. Have heard corral cleaning is very toxic on undercarriage and some guys have gone to rubber tire loaders or excavators because of it.
Forgot to re-set the Sharpshooter on the machine, will get deloused for big chinks tomorrow. Have a short length of creek bottom I want to recover some stone and will take the majority of the hidden stuff.
Remnants of Dinner, and one of my Prized possessions, Mom's Dutch Oven. She passed Dad no longer used it and none of my brothers wanted to have to deal with Cast Iron.
Creek bottom... Take a chain and your mud slippers!
Not so bad. Drainage creek for storm water currently near to dry. Hard Rock bottom with chert deposited in small mounds, my kind of landscaping materials, CHEAP!!
Damn Dmiller, to bad we aren't Neighbors, pretty sure we could have fun around the farm. Plus I know you like whiskey also. You have more ambition than guys I know that are 25.
WE as in ALL On here have more ambition than many 25 year olds!!
How do expect to keep the girl "looking new" if you're gonna go out and play in ****??? Musta felt real good and confident out there working the refurbished Fat Alice....looks good all dirtied up!
So I've heard about this guy spending too much time within 6' of a girl they call "fat alice"..... What happened to social distancing? Good to see you out working DMiller. Hunker down and be safe.
Just be careful because people are going crazy from being in lock down! Actually I've just been talking about this with the microwave, toaster while drinking coffee and all of us agreed that things are getting bad. I didn't mention anything to the washing machine as she puts a different spin on everything. Certainly not to the fridge as he is acting cold and distant. In the end the iron calmed me down as she said everything will be fine, no situation is too pressing. The hoover was very unsympathetic... told me to just suck it up, but the fan was more optimistic and hoped it would all soon blow over!The toilet looked a bit flushed when I asked its opinion and didn’t say anything but the door knob told me to get a grip. The front door said I was unhinged and so the curtains told me to ........yes, you guessed it .....pull myself together
Pretty well just On the home place, might be splattered in Beef excrement but no one else near. Have a CV19 case somewhere in the county but no one is noting where. Still have work to complete, still have a active livestock farm to manage while as even rented out. Still have all the chores that have to be done before mountain up such as those stumps and finishing Wife's landscaping. Most materials are here on hand so have to go nowhere except as appointments require, have one of those this morning on the Hearing aids, a brief review and inspect of the devices to see if are holding up(Two year Warranty).
Nothin like cookin with iron. Don't have one of those, but the wife can keep her non stick stuff, give me my cast iron fry pans
We have 2 cherished cast iron pans. I keep them polished smooth and oiled,just as good as any non stick pans and they last . the ones we have are over 25 years old.
Some sliced bologna, fried with onions, and last nights potatoes, and a couple slices of home made bread with butter and molasses.
The state wide shut down in Georgia starts tomorrow. We just got our our Supplier Authorization that we must keep in our vehicles when traveling for work . It's getting serious now.
IMO it got serious quite a while ago. It was simply that in certain quarters either the seriousness was underestimated/misunderstood, or just basically downplayed, as in "it can't happen to us".
Pretty well sums up what's going on in Idaho. Everyone's still acting like it's business as usual except without bars or restaurants. Bored folks shuffling around grocery stores not even needing anything. I'm sure all that will change as things worsen.
Orders came down from the Stores here, ONE Person ONLY behind a cart, No kids, No spouse unless necessity for lifting or maneuvering. The Miscreants cannot stop going all family tour to the Wal Mart or other grocers, NOT to repeat from now until the numbers decrease. Did get the Poop Puddin off the UC this morning when got back from Audiology(Hearing Aid check, clean and review(stores a memory of noise levels). All was good but took longer than expected. Knocked the bigger wads off then took a pasture tour to roll the in link goo to the outside then scraped that away, did make a little hole in the crush to get to the creek but did not make the pass as want to have the art ready to load up when bring the rock out. Found a decent for time being shovel hanging spot.
Maybe when the US death toll passes six figures (as forecast) they might sit up and take notice.....or then again maybe not.
I hung a chain off the woven window on mine...then things got a bit bumpy and one of the books popped off... And then without realizing it I backed over the loose ends of the chain.... Ripped my screen a big hole Looking good! DMiller.
...AND molasses! Yum
Gotta keep that iron up in the blood, and I don't want to be carrying germs to my poor old mother to make me some molasses cookies
Damned windy, here, today, 30+ mph, 60ºF mowed 1 lawn, fer about an hour, had enough of bein outside, so set in the office, and watched TV, and shivered(electric heater went out, and I'm damned if I'm gonna buy anudder, afore fall!) Also fixed a truck toolbox, that I had got fer $10 at an auction, last fall. Its on the little mower trailer, was missing the watchamacallits, that keep the lid open, when ya opens it. Didn't have the snap in ones, but I made bolt in ones do, as I have had like 4 of 'em layin around, fer years!
More than likely not. Right now is a good time for people to improve their reading skills and collect some knowledge by reading a book, Oh damn I forgot no one buy's books anymore or cares about history and the like. I guess that was just a silly idea.
Rained here today, but there's about 3 feet of snow to go before I can even think about rakin the lawn before mowing it.
I was reading through an old physics text book. Not to many books here but that Physics book, the bible, and a couple old phone books. Oh I guess a couple Ferguson tractor manuals, and a bunch of preteen books of my daughters. Been reading on line about the spanish flu. Started looking for info on the spanish navy, but got side tracked, you know how it goes.
Squirrel!! I get distracted A lot
Starting to get really stir crazy. I have an 18 year old bottle of Highland Park in the basement that my sister brought me home from the Orkney Islands about ten years ago. Thinking about having a drink.
...Why stop at just one? ....
I have a few nice bottles about to uncork Getting close
The Spanish Flu started in Wichita, IIRC.----And if you don't have any books, get in your cupboards and read the labels on the cereal boxes and canned goods. No different than reading the newspaper or ingredients in your shave cream while setting taking a dump.
I used to read a lot of Tom Clancy stuff. Read about One ping only before I saw it in the theaters. A buddy of mine did a poli sci degree. He did a major paper on the Oliver North trials. I read a couple books he had on US foreign policy. I don't know about taking a dump, but it was great reading to put you to sleep. One of our truck drivers. Every time he was parked, I thought he was sleeping. Head down. One day I delivered a load of sand with his truck. Milk crate full of books, guess he was always reading. Was reading a lot of Pippy Long Stocking, and Judy Blume books to my daughter, but she's in the 3rd grade now and doesn't need daddy to read for her anymore.
Good for you glad to hear someone cracks a book. A great book to read is {A Nation In Torment by Edward Robb Ellis} it's a in depth chronicle of the Great Depression.
"One of our truck drivers. Every time he was parked, I thought he was sleeping. Head down. One day I delivered a load of sand with his truck. Milk crate full of books, guess he was always reading. Was reading a lot of Pippy Long Stocking, and Judy Blume books.... " You know how your mind kinda jumps ahead when you're reading something? My mind jumped ahead to thinking the truck driver was a Pippy Long Stocking and Judy Blume fan...
The last series I read was bill o'Reilly's killing series pretty good stuff if your looking into history I mostly read history or current industry information and process
We are very poor in this country to take heed of the lessons that history has to teach us. Interestingly, it is the polar opposite of that in the U.K. where history is celebrated, remembered and taught either formally or in passing conversations.
Just finished this one! Very inspiring! Especially fun for me. I highly recommend it!
I can't tolerate Bill O'Reily, however you are the second person in my circle that I have heard speak highly of his work. I will have to check it out.
Speaking of reading books, anybody know authors that have yellow iron as a theme ? My normal diet of SCIFI/steam punk/diesel punk books is exhausted and the modern authors are a bit too politically correct for my taste.
Personally I liked it cause it's very detailed and it's not really political or didn't seem to be to me killing Patton's was probably my favorite so far It will be interesting how 50 years from now there will be books written about right now without all the political emotion and with the benefit of facts and hindsight makes you wonder what we think of ourselves versus how history will judge right now
My bible-American Truck Spotters Guide 1920 to 1970 by Tad Burness, Mine is in tatters, hard to find book around here but it has damn near everything from A to Z.
A quick check showed ABEBooks has several used copies under $10. I use ABEBooks for many old, out of print, or expensive books. I haven't bought one yet with the words read off the pages.
Thanks, but I mostly Ebooks read on a Kindle, the fonts in real books are becoming a problem. And shipping to South Africa is going to be more expensive than the books.
The ACMOC on line store has a number of "yellow and associated" books listed. At our board meeting Tuesday we discounted the prices to help folks whom are cooped up. Check it out. A cheap and fun read is 'Beer and Diesel Fuel'. It is a well written, humorus life story about a Cat Corporate engineer who was assigned to Central America and traveled all over diagnosing difficult issues with machines. Lots of adventures in crazy places. EDIT: Just goggle ACMOC and click on the store on the heading at the top.
If you want to laugh till you hurt, most anything by Patrick McManus is a good choice. He was a humor columnist for Outdoor Life and Field and Stream but also wrote several books.
This might go over like a fart in church, but, here's my novel as a free ebook. It's a heist novel with some yellow iron, snowcats and the best snowmobile chase in literary history. http://www.lulu.com/shop/tim-reinholt/pow/ebook/product-24030164.html
I have some colorful opinions of how things are presently, however Digger would have me shipped to a small deserted island south of Tahiti somewhere if I were to start down that road. I agree with you history is a clear eyed judge without emotion and will pass judgement in 50 years or so... I'll be crowding 120 or so... hopefully I can hang on to read the book! LOL!
I met Pat McManus about 1982. Start with a "Fine and Pleasant Misery and other stories" He was the Benchly of the outdoors. Just hysterical!
I guess I'm a bit against the grain then, I'm probably one of the younger in this group (32) but I'm an avid reader. One of my favourite fiction books at the moment is actually one given to me by an American who came here to work on construction of a new dome, it's called I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes. It's quite a thick novel, but well worth the read, and in these times makes you think a little bit about how vulnerable to infection we really are (the book is about an Islamic terrorist synthesising weaponised smallpox, but the parallels are uncanny) At the moment I'm reading Dean Koontz.
Starting this one tonight...
I still have a Library card even as cannot use it. Last book purchased and read was 3 nights in August, on baseball by Bissinger. More inclined to history and technology development but do get into SciFi novels once in awhile.
I checked with them, and they won't let you off the boat.
Mother Deuce, I spent several hours in Tahiti back in 2015, take my word for it stay in New England! In 50 years I too will be 120 so don't think I'm going to be reading any books by then!
See what I started-now it's post after post of literary accomplishments.
I have made this the subject of family reading at dinner . we are wheathering this thing together with some of the grandkids and their parents. Its a madhouse here .Thanks for the humor.
In my end, was just getting things going a bit when the market crashed, changed the game for me and a few others I know. Others haven't been affected all that much. Warmer days, doing some shop work, replaced hoses on a used Daniels Manufacturing Beak attachment I bought this year. Changing oil in the rear ends on the L8000, trying to figure out the last piece of the puzzle on 8.3's overheating problem - lotsa new parts and cleaning hoses, radiator, checking for head gasket leaks, etc. .. it's a puzzler. Winter is always slow here, time to socialize until May starts seeing a little green, miss spending time with neighbors. One down the road from me is a master mason/stonelayer and has spent over 20 years putting together a little western town on his place. His saloon is the best place in the world to go shoot both the bull and pool on a cold Sunday winter afternoon; can't wait until this is over, may have more time than I want to do just that.
Thanks for the offer IOH, but me and SO got our reduced hours and 20% income reduction notices yesterday. So books moved to the luxury list. Crap part for me is company say they will give me 2 day paid leave extra per month because the client I'm at expect 5 days a week and I will be working full hours but pay is reduced. I already forfeited 5 days paid leave for last year because of "operation requirements" at the client.
Been raining here for 3 days so it's back inside to more sash. Did I say that I hate sash? But you know what? It's work and it pays like anything else. No work is beneath me. Especially when it comes to supporting my family.
Got into the failed trans this morning. Found my culprit but uncertain as to actual cause. First check, Shift drum movement, free and slides appropriately, next up tried moving gears on shaft as thrusts all appears normal, Hi R moved fine Lo R would only rock on clutches. Got that end apart, had a mix of Bronze and fibrous clutch Frictions, the fiber unit(4) appear to have failed and glued to the steels. The getting hot part I do NOT understand as this shaft resides at bottom of case fully immersed at all times. Went to supplier for these (0) on hand of either so making Net part number requests to see if ANY are out there.
Looks like you're having more fun than me there Dmiller!
Only if can find pieces
Is that the transmission in the Fat Allis? Would that be a Rockford transmission like I seem to recall the Hough loaders used? Have you tried http://www.tractorparts.com/ no idea of that company but they seem to deal in Allis and Hough Parts
Yes is a Rockford based design And yes have a parts request into them with others
Could it have been run without enough fluid so the plates cooked?
I did not take the clutches apart when resealed this box Thought no need so this is on me if they were already degraded I only checked pack height on the four stacks All the time I have owned has had adequate oil, Lo reverse was not functional as seals were crap until I resealed.
Believe or not Tractorparts(iE General Gear Boise) just mailed back No disc parts but have a used trans with no way to presently remove it.
A road trip to Boise to help take it out would be awsome about now if it werent for all this Quarantine. Ive always wanted to check out their yard.
If they slip, it doesn't matter how much oil they have. They will get hot.
I stopped by there maybe 10 years ago maybe 12. I took a bunch of pictures for my Dad. I was still working on film then. I will try to find them. The guy that was there was extremely cool about my desire to just wander around out there.
That is true. When completed the reseal box sat for quite awhile, may have set too long and too dry and took a set. Then when first test operated all was fine until used lo reverse to cycle the gear. One time engaged and stayed engaged. Never slipped that I felt or noticed but could have been cooking in as was moving Forward and that was less than 100 yards first run. Second box resealed has not shown any slippage as been occasionally watching drive shaft when running, so far all gears functioning normal.
Do the pack pistons have cast iron rings? I've seen where the rings lost their stiffness and then wouldn't seal completely. That could also have been from past sins of shifting from forward to reverse without deceling the engine when shifting into reverse. Cat was probably the best at putting in the modulation for that but Allis and International never seemed to put that kind of stuff in till real late in their development.
Not the packs, the sliding piston does and they do seal for air pressure. The main seal in the common piston/cylinder is a Teflon ring with square cut expander o-ring. The individual packs do not have a individual piston. Thirty pounds air pressure is enough to solid engage/compress the pack so far with no audible leakage. And again the pack heights when checked were nominal.
That looks the same as the transmissions in the Internationals. I was told the star looking plate that fit on the shaft and covers the holes in that flange was the modulator plate. It was supposed to slow down the fill rate in the piston assembly. I never ran a machine after rebuild where they did anything other than lurch real hard into forward or reverse. When I worked for the Harvester dealer, it seemed there were plenty of clutch failures like yours. Some people claimed it was shifting, other just wrote it off as inferior material used in the friction plates. Yours do appear to have been hot.
Pretty Close actually to IH Payloader units. The smaller piston is a change, called an Accelerator Piston, pressure goes there initially then to the larger drum, the star plate allows for a controlled release/swap to/from Hi to Lo range in a direction where fluid can only exit so fast/and the pressurized side slows the drain rate. Allis did not initially have Decel Systems on their tractors, this one was a later model where that became a standard to stop slam shifts as often dropped the Bevel gear pinion. Is in the basic Operations guide to Decel prior to or as shift then come off the decel.
DMiller, well, there is a lot of work out there.
Took my winter tires off today. Had a hell of a time getting the winter rims off. Might have to apply a bit of never seize to the hub center when I put them back on in the fall. Think I might have to paint my back bumper, she's starting to get a few bubbles. Anyway, what's a good lube for tailgate rubbers? I put some fluid film on them in the fall, and they seem worse than if I used nothing at all.
I really don't know where to even go with that, but what you do in quarantine time, stays in quarantine time.....
I spent my Sunday quarantine, risking my life to get toilet parts. Of course, I couldn't get all the right stuff in the first trip, so I risked my life once again to get the rest of the right parts. I heard indiana jones music in the background as I entered the store. And the amazing assortment of low flush, double flush, water saver supreme assemblies about blew my mind. I just wanted the old simple fill and flush assembly, and after enough looking I found them. I never knew the plumbing of toilets had gotten so complicated. I'm a poor enough plumber as it is, I don't need more complicated. I did notice my replacement part has a 7 year warranty. On a $11 part. Are there people out there that keep the receipt for toilet parts for 7 years- in case it doesn't make it that long? Cause I'm living on the edge and just pitched it.
Usually the rotary tail pig snorkler {the red flapper} takes a dump. {Pun intended}
should have paid the extra $15 bucks for the extended warranty
Dry silicone spray is what we use on all door seals.
blob: https://www.youtube.com/a172b9c3-2fa7-493a-b9df-885c0dd6d601 Should have been John Pinette Why do I need extended warranty
I tried the flapper, and it didn't help. Either the ring that it seats on had a hairline or hard water wear issue, or the gasket at the bottom of the tank was gone. I'm leaning toward it being the gasket on the bottom of the tank, it was in pretty bad shape. I figured by the time I got the tank off, I just as well replace it all.
Yes that bunch of parts look like they could have come out of a Hough 120 transmission! Did a few of them back in the day. Last I knew the special lifting tool for those packs was still hanging on the peg board in the shop we used to use for engine and transmission work. Looks like this one:
I got a chuckle out of that Craneop as the only other trades I am worse at is electrical and HVAC. Used that same red flapper and assembly last time on my hall toilet when it took an internal dump.
You got one in the hall I guess it's handy if you're going from one room to the next....
Got home from work and had to run over to a friend's place to change out their pressure tank, put in one of those composite ones.... we'll see how it lasts... I guess it can't rust so that's good
With everybody staying home the toilets are getting a workout.
What psi did you presurize the tank to?
I think those tanks are pre-set at 3000 psi.
I've got three of those tanks in my pump house, 12 years and counting. I never had much luck with the steel tanks. They come with a chart to tell you what the precharge should be based on the shut off pressure in the system. I check my precharge at least once a year. One of the pump guys I know says the fiberglass will lose a little air over time but mine have held up well.
3000 PSI? How much air pressure should my pressure tank have? This depends on which pressure switch you have. If you have a 40/60 switch, the air pressure in the tank should be set to 38 PSI. The general rule is to set the pressure at 2 PSI below the cut-in pressure (the pressure at which the pump turns on). To set this accurately, your well pump must be turned off and all water needs to be drained from the tank.
At 3000 psi it turns your ordinary sink faucet into a aqua cutter, you will be able to blast the food off the plates in single pass and cut 1/4 inch steel plate while your wife isn't looking. A Ronco product.
I put it at 36-38 or thereabouts.... running about 40-60on the switch probably a bit under 60 for the off. They also recommend bumping that pressure up a good 6-10 psi depending on conditions.
Well today I was gonna go out and buy some grip tape, fer that spot, on the new(to me) snowco trailer. Floor has punched up holes, every 6-8", EXCEPT where the floor has a little beaver tail bend in it. Funny how where you need the grip, none is supplied! Anyway, I happened to remember that a friend had given me a box of grip tiles. Ripped them into 5" lengths, and screwes thm into the area in question. While finding the tiles, I found some leftover 1/2" polystyrene panels, from another project, so I lined the truck toolbox I plan on using to store weedeaters in, with it, to make a cushion, sos the weedeaters don't get all box worn. Closed the lid, and saw the chain at the hand winch a danglin there, so I thought I better do something about that! Since the box latch mechanism is wore out, and not worth replacin, I drilled 2 holes in the top, and stuck a u-bolt through, double nutting it to the top, now to keep the lid down, I just hook the winch cable to the box top! Who sez this quarantine is all bad, it sure makes a feller think, a little!
Who needs toilet paper when you can own one of these
Man that looks like it could be painful!!!! especially if you're running recaps
That's sound like a rotten deal. Good luck. Is the economy that bad there or does your employer does not know the value of good employees.
I would trade a whole six back of toilet paper to add that bike to my stash.
The economy was already tanking because of urm "government policies" and ratings agencies downgraded us to junk status for investment. I'm pretty sure my direct boss will make a plan, the reduced hours is a directive by the holding company that bought us 3 years ago. Client is also going to complain. And just for laughs, my boss's nickname is Appy.
That is the procedure that I'm familiar with. I had an irrigation system installed last year on one of my jobs and the tech set the pressure at 2psi above cut out pressure with system fully charged. I haven't thought that through to figure if it's the same thing... system works fine.
Correction: I just checked and it is set 2 psi below cut in pressure.
Current tank at our place is steel outer rubber bladder inner, know these to only last 10-15 years and the bladders fail.
Puts a NEW Definition on recap 'Slap'!!
That thing must be wicked in winter when you chain up that rear wheel!
Urm let's just say translated from my language it would be called a freezer cake.
Couple good reads if you're that way inclined. Bravo Two Zero by Andy McNab The one that got away by Chris Ryan Details two different accounts of a special forces mission during the first gulf war.
Or skid marks.
's buttocks Could also reflect Iced Pie, or Frosted Cheeks!! Already KNOW and Fully understand Colder than a Well Diggers Rump
Well I can now say, 2020 can just go f itself. A month ago yard broken into, nothing stolen they caught the SOB. Few weeks ago hoe at jobsite someone pried open doors and broke some locks, and now last night my pickup was stolen. Going through the list of what's in there, up to near $7k of contents to replace everything. It's all insured, but going to be a nightmare documenting everything. And the truck, a 2013 ram 3500 just over 100k miles and paid for been a great truck. Now I don't want it back. But I don't want to buy a used truck with that kind of miles, so I either gotta fork out $60-65k+ for brand new and have payments again or at least $40k plus for a low mile used one. Never realize how much stuff is in there. Keys for all my stuff, paperwork, going to be such a nightmare getting everything sorted out. Was 50/50 hoping the SOB got my address from documents and i'd catch them trying to steal from my house and I could take care of them myself.
Damn Suladas that sucks!
Real sorry to hear this . Hang in there and Stay Safe.
Hopefully it turns up. I just don't know how busy the cops are or how much priority this would have. Sounds like someone or a group is targeting the site.
They are all unrelated for sure. The one who broke into yard was just a bum with wire cutters, tracked him down to a tim hortons nearby with police dog, but with our justice system even with having warrants out for him already the cop said he likely would get back out that night. The breaking doors on hoe was a job in a bad area, just bums looking for ****. The truck was i'm sure a bum looking for a ride. So related in the way of deadbeats wanting **** that ain't there's, but not linked to the same one or anything. All happened in different parts of city. I think one thing that works in my favor is with this crap going on some pawn shops are closed and trying to pawn stuff isn't going to be near as easy. May just take what they can carry and leave the rest. I don't think they have any desire to catch them because our system just let's them right back out so they figure what's the point? Bad news is spoke to insurance for my liability, they cannot find any coverage for the tools, waiting to hear from my broker. And even if they find coverage, unless they recover truck with damage to show they broke in, no coverage. They said a lot will depend what the cops say when it's recovered. I am HOPING they will understand the situation and make sure the report is in my favor. Even if all goes well, they still won't cover everything, only tools they deem related to company. I mentioned I had a code reader in truck, nope not covered. $500 glasses won't be either. So i'd have to submit a 3rd claim for my house insurance to try and get that covered, but if there's any deductible it won't be worth it. Auto adjuster good so far. Up to $7000-$7500 of stuff in my list so far, about $1500 is attached and will be covered by auto.
Damn, Saludas, that sure sucks! But are you sure they got the right bum, for the first offense? That police dog mighta just wanted a donut... OH nuts, I sure hope they find your truck, without too much damages!
Careful with the insurance company. I know a guy that had two houses in two different states. In about a years time, both were broken into and some tools and one car was stolen from the garage. Car was recovered. Within a short time his homeowners was put on high risk and was a 10k bill per year. Said if he had known it would happen he would have never turned in the claims.
According to the specs on this fiberglass tank the bladder is 100 percent replaceable... I didn't look to see if anyone sells the bladder but I'd imagine it's got to be cheaper than a whole new tank....
There seem to be a lot of vehicles being stolen right now. I need to ask... were the keys in it? With all the trucks being stolen right now, I'm wondering how they are getting them started. I broke one of my key fobs once, had a key cut, and even with the broken fob on the key ring, the truck wouldn't start. I see these young punks everytime I go out to plow snow. They broke into a bunch of Bell Telephone trucks and took tools. I was talking to one of the guys at bell. I asked him if one of the tool boxes looked like a blue tackle box, he said yes. Told him I saw it behind the dumpster at the Salvation Army when I plowed that morning. It was gone. cop figured they put the stuff there and came back for it after. Worst thing the guy said, is that the tools are specific to their work, and no good to anyone else. This summer, a man and woman walked down the main drag in town in the middle of the day, someone noticed them cutting the copper ground off the hydro poles and called the cops. They had cut the ground off over 200 poles, they had over 30 in their bag. Drugs, just plain and simple, they even try to get seniors to give up their perscriptions outside the drug stores.
I've never had any company claims in the 5 years i've been operating. Only claim in 15 years is 2 not at fault personal accidents. The auto and house is the same company, liability is another. I don't think 1 claim on them will do anything but yea I definitely don't want more.
Keys were in it and running, used second set to lock doors. So yea, kinda stupid on my part I will admit. I had 2 service cables around 25' each cut off at a job a bit ago, each retail price is maybe $100 each not worth SFA in scrap like ***? I think that was another excavation company though, it was in a outlying town and i've never seen homeless there. Costs the builder $250 each to splice extra cable back on. The justice systems needs changing so these lowlifes actually fear getting caught. Or more people to catch them with no witnesses around.
Breakins seem to be skyrocketing right now!!! My whole day tomorrow will be fixing cut fences and securing points of entry...
Excellent reading, both of them.
Saludas have you looked into an Inland Marine insurance policy to cover tools and small equipment? Back in the mid 2000's I had some kids vandalize some equipment and broke into a tool trailer. The total loss/damage was around $14,000. Luckily I had an Inland Marine policy that maxed out at $15,000 so it covered the loss. The policy is rather inexpensive depending on the amount of coverage. I carry a $1000 deductible on the policy to keep the premium low.
started the home learning this week. My daughter is in the 3rd grade, and while the school year is finished due to the C19, they are going to allow them to advance to the next grade.... if the school starts in the fall. They have offered some home education options to keep her from being too far behind for grade 4. She's not too thrilled with the idea, but it gives me something to do.
Well they found the truck burnt out about an hour out of town, got to go identity it for sure tomorrow as all VIN tags are gone and cops couldn't be sure it's mine as plate was swapped with stolen one, and the guy who had his plate stolen has my plate so it's pretty much guaranteed it's mine. Guess i'm truck shopping. Used prices are stupid so going to have to go new and probably spend $30k ontop of the payout and have payments again So infuriating some dumba$$ taking what isn't there's costs over $50k for what? Likely a joy ride and stealing a few tools. And even if the cops caught them (one in a million chance) not a dahm thing would happen to them, probably be let back out the same day. Tow truck operator said slip tank still there and remnants of sockets, etc still in back seat.
There could be some really good buys on used trucks now with a lot of people not working and needing money for living expenses.
I've emailed a few people on Kijiji asking what kind of price they'd do if I come buy in cash right away, we'll see what kind of responses I get. But many prices are $5-10k high. A 1-2 year old truck with 50km on it isn't worth buying for like $5k less then new.
Everyone is sitting on a Pure Gold machine when go to sell them, regardless condition. Most are thinking will get most of their money back with selling just less than new, dealer discounts are extreme right now where a co-retiree just bought a new GMC and they discounted almost $12k right off the bat then added side steps, tonneau cover, fender flaps and INSTALLED for free.
I'm sure if you're close to any oilfield regions, there would be some good cash deals on trucks right now. Lots of guys getting laid off and coming on tough times. The last work truck I bought, was for the payoff value on previous owners loan. He owed less than truck was worth, but was struggling and needed the payments (loan and insurance) gone asap. In the end, he got the fast deal he needed, and I got a good buy on a work truck. Cash, and being able to move fast, were key parts of that deal happening.
Got word this morning. We had been working in a home while lived in by two health care workers. Husband works in ER at a regional hospital. Wife had rescued her elderly parents from California to protect them. On March 23 I was informed the husband was sick, not enough test kits to go around. Haven't seen them since. This morning he reports All four in the household have been in quarantine since. All four got it, wife last to succumb. She's suffering miserably, but expected to recover.
Last night at this hour I woke up to find that I got stuffy nose, n , coarse throaght. I guess I caught it, spent all this day at home, got no high temperature, no cough,no sneese, a little shallow breathing, and heaviness in my chest, no muscle pain. I take antivirus medicine, regulary 6 times, breath a pine oil drops fumes in a boiled water, rinse my throaght. Tomprow I guess I got to report the clinic, and stay out of ppl. But previous week I worked, n contacted to a lot of ppl, visited my mom she is 90. Well I guess enough to today, ll try to keep ya informed. Though every autumn I take anti flu vacination, I guess it will pass easy. But who knows.
Doesn't sound like the virus, hopefully just the flu. They are threatening to fine people for group gatherings here. The only people that should be in your home are the ones that live there. First time in my life that I have not gone to my mother's for ham at Easter.
Hadda Dr's appointment, on monday. I called up and moved it to mid june, we are at the doubling every week stage in this county. Next county over where the appt was is worse, so I aint goin to a GP till I see the numbers come down some...
That's a slippery slope, I don't know how anyone could support the government trying to walk all over peoples rights trying to fine them in a private residence.
Our lockdown got extended until 30 April. Guvamunt should relax restrictions like no alcohol, no cigarettes and no hardware stores open.
Guess it depends on how you look at it. Ontario is projecting 2 deaths every hour if the social distance thing doesn't work, or if people don't stick to it. I guess construction safety NB says you can't have more than one person in a work truck. We are looking into plexiglass dividers, or paying guys to drive their own vehicles to job sites. Guess the city had funds already for a bunch of water and sewer and asphalt resurfacing jobs so we might be busy after all. Just for a chance to get out, I got to go plow snow this morning. First time I had a paper on the window to certify that my machine had been sanitized for my use. It had a cracked head. The engine had 14000 hours on it so they figured they would send it to the dealer and get a new engine installed and be done with it.
Please don't reject the cautions. People are dying. Those who don't die may not suffer greatly, but may carry virus to people who will die. People in their forties are dying, I know a couple who survived with round the clock care in their eighties.
Still honoring Social Distance here, also have down loaded instructions and made my own personal cloth mask to take to stores as they are Requesting that everyone going to shop wear one now. Going to make a fully sewn better one later but for now have a multi layer bandana style, should work for small rocks and flies not much else I can see. NOT doing gloves, just Orange Wipes I had in my shop building for now.
Mrs B climbing the walls, She teaches 1st grade. Every politician, every administrator promises to "hold teachers accountable if students don't keep up." She is sleeping four hours, worrying 20. Without training, she tries to do a job on line Mary Poppins couldn't do in person. Kids learn best in a controlled environment. Rebellious parents make it near impossible to teach. She has been perfecting fabric masks. Do you need some?
Problem is, some people just don't listen. Holy crap! Take away the booze & smokes here, it would be war. Ed
Remember, way back in the good old days, where if you walked into a store wearing a mask they'd have called the cops because they thought you were there to rob the place? That was what, January maybe?
I have been doing a lot of reading on the Virus and checking the information as many ways as I can. While any deaths are to many the Corona Virus deaths are still way under the per capita percentage flu deaths for any recorded year according to the CDC stats. In the last few weeks however flu deaths are down. There are two reasons I see for this. 1. The rest homes are locked down so infections are down from no visitors. 2. Since the government promised to reimburse hospitals 100% for Corona Virus patients I believe that if a patient has symptom's, that will be listed no matter what underlying symptoms the patient had. With so many older folks cleaned out financially by the time they die its the hospitals only way to get paid. Percentage wise as of today these are the hard cold fact numbers. We have to realize that the death percentage is higher because we are only testing the worst cases. The rest with symptoms are told to just stay home and isolate. USA wide. 502,514 tested positive, 18,679 dead, 0.037 or a 3.7% percent death rate. State of New York. 159,937 tested positive. 7,067 dead, 0.044 or a 4.4 % death rate. City of New York. 92,384 positive. 5,820 have died. 0.0629 or 6.3% death rate of tested individuals. We have no clue what percent of these patient deaths would have passed from another cause. The payment plan from the government is so stupid it is ridicules'. My son in law, a journeyman carpenter is quarantined from his job because my daughter works at the prison with multiple Covid 19 cases among the inmates. He is considered a risk on the hospital construction project he is on. So he is staying home doing the home schooling for their 3 kids and drawing unemployment, plus he will get the extra $600 a week. He ends up with a $280.00 a week raise and no work expense. Meanwhile my daughter is working 16 hour days, 2 out of every 3 days because they are short handed and they can not leave. Any officer at the prison has the right to quarantine themselves at home if they feel they may have been in contact with a possible case and the state has promised to continue their full pay when their sick leave runs out. Every low life officer they have that calls in sick as soon as they get a day are off on quarantine leave. The ones that play fair and have actually done their job get screwed because of these deadbeats. They announced today the governor may send in National Guard troops to accompany the short staffed officers. They will put a guardsman's with every duty officer to basically double the workforce. My wife and I both, and I know a bunch of my friends on this forum are in the high risk group, but we simply have to start phasing the workforce back in soon or we are going to totally collapse this countries economy. It is not going to happen overnight. Recreation and other mingling venues may have to wait, and probably restaurants also, if they cant figure out a way to separate folks. Ball parks and stadiums, professional athletes may come to a rude awaking on wages when there are no fans to pay the wages. But manufacturing has to get back at it. As a nonessential example I ordered a grill from GMC six weeks ago and was told again today that they don't have any clue as to when one will be available. They said very few parts are being made. Most parts suppliers are shut down. All them people at home ae being a huge drain on the taxpayer. The Caterpillar Pavers, Rollers, and Compactors, Manufacturing plant in the Twin Cities will shut down next week. They can not get the farmed out components to complete the machines. Another 1,000 plus jobs gone. They predict months to get back going again to fill the supply change. Enough rambling. I guess I got to much time on my hands. Stay safe friends and maybe we can get through this. I look forward to still seeing you all here.
Don't forget that they are now classifying any death with a positive cov19 test result as CAUSED by cov19 whether it was a contributing factor or not ... so it's no wonder all the other death rates will be dropping and the cov19 rates are climbing.... like you OIH I sure hope they start getting things opened back up again... and soon!!!
Yea they are just trying to make it look as bad as possible. I can't imagine how many deaths are being classified as the virus when there is 0% chance they actually are.
Hard to say... that's above my pay grade I would like to see some data on Vaping vs. covid19.... remember just a few short months ago when vaping was becoming a national issue with people getting all sort of....respiratory... issues and even death issues....
That is if you went off those numbers if you flip them around the picture is more bleak. See you are comparing those who are confirmed cases it's more of you need to look at if either one recovered or one died from it, not how many still have it. So at Deaths: 18,747 Recovered: 27,314 That equals about 68% chance of death at these current numbers in the US.
Oh yea I forgot about vaping, the media has done a good job of making everyone forget. I swear every time i'm in convenience store people are buying that crap or cigarettes. Like let's be terrified of the virus, but still purposely slowly kill ourselves.
A little more current numbers from US and Germany some of the others are all over the place... have to wait to get any kind of stable data
Ok more than half of the world is in lockdown, but I came across this: BRASILIA - A Yanomami indigenous boy has died after contracting the coronavirus, Brazilian authorities said, raising fears for the Amazon tribe , which is known for its vulnerability to disease. https://www.enca.com/news/boy-isolated-amazon-tribe-dies-after-being-infected-coronavirus Those tribes are pretty isolated how the heck did the virus spread to them ?
Hey Honcho, how you doing this morning?
I am in full support of forcing this nation's politicos to wear face masks at all times. After all, they've been robbing us all, for years!
Copying a mask pattern from digital to paper without a printer:
Nurse cousin to the wife confirmed what I had noted The virus attacks the blood as it uses where destroys the aviol(think spell wrong)sacks in the lungs to get into the blood You essentially suffocate while being presented pure O2 by the ventilators If they catch it early enough they can slow the progression but is chancy at best once go on vent Smoker ex smoker vaper even just asthmatic or any other considered low impact lung issue can let this crap kill you Sad and scary
Like these wussy's ? Image of somebody giving "the finger" removed. Clearly inappropriate for this site. Reminder: We have a rule about politics too. Pushing the limits will lead to very strict interpretations of that rule.
Make it all politicians on earth. Something like this ?
We will have to start wearing burkas. My understanding is, yes influenza kills large numbers, but it is a human virus that peaks, then goes away. Corona virus come from animals and there is no peak. The more we pass it around, it just keeps spreading. If we don't give it a way to spread, it doesn't really die because it's not alive, but it just dries up and blows away. The words are not coming, plowed snow all night again. I don't think it is as simple as we should just get it and be done with it. As far as some underlying plot by the government to take away our liberties, to what end would it be? We are not working, so we're not paying income tax. These bailout packages are costing billions, and once this ends, the government is going to have to spend billions to stimulate the economy.
Used to have something like that, but the wife lost her whip
Really? We just got a foot of snow
Christian ministry’s and such visiting is how.
Exactly! I've always had a huge problem with any ministry going off and shoving Christianity down the throats of people who have done just fine without it.
Probably true, but" No posts of religious or racist content may be made." I got a scolding last week
Everytime I see that bull with the ring in the nose and all that red writing, I have to think if I said something
I'll leave that up to the mods. I said what I said and if I crossed the line, its their job to fix it.
Do you get on a piece of equipment and abuse it til it breaks and then say "It's the mechanics' job to fix it"? I'm sure they appreciate that. Thank you, cutting edge, for listening to us, internalizing the message, and showing some leadership as a member of the community. That's the kind of thing the Mods appreciate. Now, do I need to post something in red?
Of course not. I am just saying that I wrote what I wrote. Am I ashamed of what I wrote? No. Am I sorry for what I wrote, no. Do I take back what I wrote? No. I don't believe that I crossed any lines but if you do and feel the need to remove my post, thats fine. I will respect your decision.
Thanks for expressing your respect for the Mods' decisions. The difficult part about moderating is the gray areas. What I consider crossing the line might differ from what you consider crossing the line, which might differ from even one of the other Mods considers crossing the line, which will certainly differ from some other member's interpretation. We have to take all that into consideration. Did your post cross the line? Not clearly (to me), but if not, you certainly had your toes right up to it. What I don't appreciate is your apparent attitude that if *your* conduct crosses the line somebody else is responsible for cleaning it up. The one image above *clearly* did cross the line, and I edited it out. And I very much meant what I said about pushing the limits--make us work too hard at guessing how much slack to allow people, and we're likely to err on the side of "none".
It's all good. Life goes on. HEF is a great place to hang out at. Steve and the rest (including you) have obviously put much time and effort into this Forum... and it shows. These are certainly difficult times we all live in. I've been hanging out here for about 13 years. Other than my wife and my work, HEF and its members are for the lack of a better term one of the few social gatherings that I actually look forward to. For that, i sincerely thank you.
I don't think you said anything wrong, I've said things too. But I guess the truth is that you never know who would be bothered by politics, or religion, as both can be hot topics. As a rule, everyone seems to get along on here, and I guess to be fair we need to follow the guidelines set out to keep the peace. I wasn't trying to stick my nose in your business RollOver Pete, I just didn't want to anger the bull. I spent a couple hours on the roof of a shed as a kid because of an angry bull
You'd think with all the doom and gloom in the news about how everyone is broke there would be tons of people begging to get rid of trucks, but it's not the case. Emailed a few now who are asking insane prices, and don't really care if they sell. A dealer emailed a BS price too, other dealers offering better pricing right on website.
Well if you need any mud flaps let me know... I gots all kinds got a bunch more yesterday! Some even come with hardware This one was giving the tires extra care
Loves is putting in a stop about 2 miles from me. Pretty stupid because the only real access is from I-90 eastbound, and the west bound trucks using the place are just going to plug up a bad traffic situation even worse.
Don't worry, if there's a back way across a field or parking lot they'll find it
I’ve been chatting with a few owners 10 or less trucks that haul step deck, vans, reefers and they all have said freight is slowing up and loads are cheap. Time will tell if we see a pullback in equipment prices.
The truth of the matter is that I thought moderating a forum like this was going to be a lot harder than it has been. I'm grateful to all you guys for having proven me wrong. Exactly.
Hmmm... The wife just came to me and asks how her eyebrows looked? She suddenly had the urge to pluck a few rouge hairs. I tell her that one side is definitely bigger/longer/hairier than the other. I can hear he in the bathroom laughing her ass off right now. I believe that we both have been on quarantine a bit too long.
Want to make it more easier to quarantine yourself, shave your eyebrows off and paint your finger nails
Want to keep millennial's home, its easy. Switch out their auto transmission for a manual then print the instruction manual in cursive
Just read the local rag, tonight, the evening capital, AKA the crabwrapper. Hadda picture of the county executive wearin Major Margaret Houlihan's cheetah skin panties, as a CV mask... I'd post it, but can't find it on the net... Now that I think of it, maybe its too risque...
Are drivers in the US having a hard time getting a place to eat? Everything is closed here. Some drive thru restaurants won't serve walk thru truckers. Some places are getting the hint, no truckers, no goods, including food delivered. One woman in Nova Scotia that runs a little truck stop off the main highway is giving truckers free meals. They have to be take out, but they are big home cooked meals. The food is being donated to her by the locals.
I ll have to ask about the readiness of meals. I have seen people at fast food places literally standing in the drive thru or riding a bike. I would venture a guess that if a meal can be handed out thru the window and the customer has the $$$ to pay, most places won’t care about your mode of transportation.
Your numbers are in no way accurate to the overall picture. You are quoting only the serious cases that required hospitalization and intensive care. Of them your 68 percent recovered. My numbers state the facts and just the facts. Of all the positive cases tested, most recovered with no hospitalization or medical intervention required. Many more would have tested positive and recovered but with limited testing supplies they were told to isolate at home unless their condition became dire.
No drive thrus here will serve walk ups. I've had to unhook my trailer to get through one. It's really stupid.
Didn't see anything mentioning serious, mild or no symptom cases but okay your right and you know more. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
Not going to argue with you. Problem is they are not retesting these positive cases that required no medical treatment? Quarantined for two weeks and go about your business again. That's what folks are told to do here. All may still be on the list but they survived and are functioning as before.
I think if I was a trucker and on foot I would ask someone in a vehicle that is in line to purchase my order for me. If someone asked me to do it I sure would.
As if the covid-19 isn't enough to worry about there are other things going on in the shopping world.
you sure can`t unsee that mess
Call me entitled but if I was a trucker who worked for a big trucking company i'd be saying i'm done working until there are places to eat, shower, and go to the bathroom. I think if a few big trucking companies said they had no drivers willing to drive because of that they'd open up places pretty quick.
Thanks.. I just threw up a little bit in my mouth
My last post I guess was on friday. Well after all those maipulations with antivirus, pine oil fumes inhalations, after two days I felt almost fine, disapeared heaviness in my chest, I breath deep, throat is not soar, the only thing is that occasionaly I cough, or clear my throaght. Coagh is not dry or harash. The other thing I noticed cold air is not good for me. So I went out as little as I could. Yesterday I didn t feel quite well but not bad, I thought that today I would report the hospital. But this morning I feel great as if nothing ever happened to me, just flashed my nose, rinse it, and I m almost fine. went out for half an hour, to take out trash bin, trash collector is 300yards away. Every where on a streets are patrols, of police, highway police, n national guard all togather. I guess I ve had an easy form of corona. it is due to my autumn vacination. Have had no muscle pain , or head ache.
Sounds like you're doing better. Be mindful of fever coming on. Overall, how are things where you are? Lots of covid cases? Deaths? I don't hear much on the news?
I had a heated facebook discussion with an entitled little p. It was a post thanking truckers for keeping things going. He said big deal, he still had to work every day. I told him, yes, there are people in essential services that deserve thanks, but do you have to take a dump in the parking lot behind your store, do you sleep in your work station. Do you live on chocolate bars, chips and munchies from a gas station ( although he probably does ) no hot meals, no place to shower, or even freshen up
Easter bunny came. Daughter was up a 5:30. Wish I could get excited over a chocolate bunny, some peeps, and a few chocolate eggs. Think she might be just humoring her mother and I, as I heard her tell the dog that Mommy must have picked this stuff up before covid 19.
Have at least a Happy Distanced Easter everyone
So I lost a bet with my daughter after Christmas. She was not doing so well in math. I told her that if she put some more effort into it, and I would help her, that she could do better. One test she had to review what they had done so far, made her really nervous, she wanted to do well. I said if she could get 100%, I would give her my new 55 inch smart tv for her room, but even if she did her best, I would be happy with her because I know she was putting in the work. She was watching You tube on her new 55 inch smart tv on her bedroom wall the other night, and there is this family fun pack that she watches. It is a family of 8, and they record stuff they do every day as a family. They have a home in Hawaii as well on the mainland. I got thinking dad must be a Dr or something, so I looked them up. They make $16000 bucks a day by posting videos on you tube. Because of their following, they have many sponsors now as well. This is not like a tv show, mom films footage on her phone, and dad adds music and editing on his laptop. Who would have thunk it?
Did a little review and posted this on another forum: The actual probabilities of Rural Americans becoming infected or transferring the virus on everyday products is around 1 in a zillion. Based on numbers of infected and their known whereabouts, as to the longevity of the virus on surfaces that do get disinfected in UV systems or are sprayed with a disinfectant in large scale operations. As to those already quarantined those odds keep widening not narrowing. We keep distances and avoiding the major metro regions while NOT allowing travel of people Within those regions out to rural and this will widen as exponentially as developed. Current population STL and County around 1.2 million total Covid infected there just over 2100, with infected across the ENTIRE state just over 4000 in 6.1 million.
Worst thing is that there are so many sources of information out there, it's hard to know what's true. The wife watched a video the other night, and they say that this virus is too perfect to be natural. The body of the virus is so pure, and the little feet are a perfect match to our own cells. I have not watched the video myself, but she said it is a documentary style, and not some nut raving on.
This is definitely an odd kind of Easter. No church with the folks. No visiting with the kids, family and friends. I think I'll surprise mom and take a drive to go see her. Quarantine or not, she's always happy when I stop by.
I stopped at mom's the other morning when I was done plowing. My sister lives with her so she is not alone. She had a few things for my daughter, and some home made wool socks, and molasses cookies for me. I just stayed in the entry way and she stayed in the kitchen. She's in her 80s so I don't want to take the chance. She calls every day, but it was good to see her. She is only 15 kms away, so she is used to me stopping by almost every day
Went into town(bigger) this morning and there wasn't much stirring... hardly a car on the road! Was kinda nice not dealing with traffic
All is devoid of traffic around our larger metros as well. And Yes, kind of nice.
The other half and I are going to load up some snacks and stuff, and take SuperFord for a cruise in the country away from any other people. I've had enough sitting around this week. Got trucks waiting in the morning and I've told everybody to stay away from me for the next week.
A nice country drive... like these guys.. https://www.wnd.com/2020/04/team-re...-coast-record-empty-highways/?utm_source=none
At least with gas being cheap right now I can smile while driving that V-10. Might even fill that 70 gallon tank on the motorhome next week and be ready for some fun traveling to nowhere land. Our shoot got washed out, but no reason I cant hang out at the range and practice. The owner and i have been discussing borrowing the neighbor's grader and doing some improvements.
The rain and cold finally lets up I am gonna do some target shooting.
Had a nice visit with mom today. I really should get out to see her more often. Lord knows that I could never seem to find the time when she was alive. Now that she's gone, it seems like I have nothing but time. Holidays .....all of them are nothing but painful. I really need to get my head screwed back on straight and get back to work. For me....its always better when I work.
Police raided a home here on the weekend. The home owner was fined $10000 for holding a house party. Anyone that didn't live in the home was fined $1000 for breaking the ban on public gatherings enacted by the emergency measures act
I guess it depends how many people were there and what they were doing. People are foolish if they are ok with the government trying to control things this much. It will be a cold day in hell before the government tries to come into my home and tell me I can't have a few people over. I was curious and looked it up, we didn't violate anything here actually, the law is gatherings not allowed for 15 or more.
It could be said that people are foolish for not heeding the advice of Dr's. and scientists.
This is only the emergency measures act. If it was the war measures act, they could come into your house and make sure you're not hoarding toilet paper
Just a thought here, would you pull out the guns and start shooting people who had a warrant for entry?
One of the few things Trudeau Sr. did that actually worked was invoking the War Measures Act and they could go into any house they wanted to. The Emergency Measures Act is just a new name that was updated in 1988 with some limitations. They haven't started going into everyone's homes but could if it got bad enough to warrant it. The Emergency Measures Act hasn't been implemented by the federal gov't. but some provinces have implemented their own form of it.
Depends.. Have they showed me the warrant BEFORE breaking down my door?
They can charge you with anything, but making it stick may be a whole different story. The local government here made some ordinances and enforced them for years until someone stood up to them. The ordinances were reversed, I’m guessing there was a huge settlement they had to pay. Government now often strong-arms things that aren’t legal. Guilty until you prove yourself innocent?? Sometimes they get caught. I’d guess our founding fathers are rolling in their graves about now!
The War Measures Act in Canada that was used in the Quebec crisis didn't require warrants. A snipet and then the full story. "On October 16, Trudeau invoked the War Measures Act, which suspended basic civil rights and liberties. It allowed police searches and arrests without warrants, and prolonged detentions without charges and without the right to see a lawyer. It was the first time in Canadian history the Act was used during peacetime." https://www.cbc.ca/history/EPISCONTENTSE1EP16CH1PA4LE.html
Today was a good day. Wife to Doc, had a little spot start expanding on upper lip. Started at it two weeks ago and back into surgeon today. Two hack and waits 8 stitches and certain they got it all, she will be permanently attached to a Sunscreen bottle from now on. Started today at 9, home at 4:30.
The way I look at it, why give them a reason to come in? If they don't want you to have social gatherings, what's the big deal. Some people don't like to be told what to do is all. I don't want anyone in my house anyway.
I gotta start watching that. I have a few spots on my ears that will bleed if I burn them, and a raised hard spot on my left arm. Doc says they are harmless for now, but to learn how to use sunscreen
I would have wiped a little of it off
I know that pain. I get a bad burn on a cloudy day. Maybe it's my old age but I always wear a hat if i'm out in the sun now. I got 3rd degree burns on my back and shoulders as a teenager and was warned not to let those areas get burned again.
I had a small one taken off my face about a year ago, only about 1" away from the eye. That was kinda too close for comfort and made me sit up and take notice. It was a weird thing, to start off with I thought I'd scratched myself because it bled a bit. Then it scabbed over but every couple of days the scab would fall off and it would still be "red raw" underneath. That's when I booked the date with the dermatologist.
Reminds me of the toilet paper shortage
Worked a FEW Honey Buckets over the years, remember one driver brought one to our shop where was working a brake issue and he with BLUE Tint still on his hands reached UNDER the driver seat said time for lunch, blew the ?dirt? off the baggie enclosed sandwich pulled it completely out and started munching. Stopped a split second, said "oh, the bread must be going bad" pulled a moldy section off tossed away and finished the rest. I Did NOT eat lunch that day, stomach was rolling.
Have to keep ahead of the curve with this stuff, lost a friend that constructed Grain bins a few years back where he ignored some growths. The hacking never stopped until not enough left to cut away and the cancers beat his Doc's treatments. My own grandfather ignored coughing up blood at Standard Oil refinery, until would not control. He quit smoking and moved to the country and did what he could but was also too late. Toward the end the Doc convinced him could extend life by removing parts and pieces, he did not gain many months and was miserable until he passed. Be mindful of that which ails us, it is all deceivingly easy to ignore and be dealt a bad hand.
My dad pulled wrenches all his life. He enjoyed it and was good at he. He didn't believe in putting on new parts unless the old one couldn't be fixed. At 65 semi retired from his job, and started driving wrecker for a friend, and working out of his truck instead of someone elses shop. Heart disease runs in his family and he did what he could to keep from dropping dead in his 60s from heart failure. We were installing a new washer and dryer in his family homestead. His sister lived there alone. The narrow basement steps meant we had to take everything apart and put it back together in the basement. He cut himself, and it was the color of those shorts Hooters girls wear. I said you should go see about that. As it happened, he and my mother's family Dr had retired and they appointments to see a new Dr the following month. The doc ordered a full swath of tests because they were new patients. About an hour after my father's bloodwork, the hospital called and wanted him back. After 3 weeks of testing the Dr said he was pretty sure it was hairy cell leukemia. He said if you are going to get cancer, this is what you want. A few mild treatments and you might live to be 100. Just need a few more test results to be sure. Next day he came in. Mr Vickers, you don't have cancer, you have melody spolastic syndrome. With treatment you might last another year, I'm sorry. Almost roboticly he walks to the next bed. Mr Doyle the cancer on your optic nerve has moved to your brain, you have 1 week maybe 2, and walks out. The nurse later told my brother that he tells at least 20 people a day that they are going to die. Anyway, 4 months later my father died from bleeding out in his brain as a result of his condition. If he had lived another 37 days, he would have been 70. MDS your bones renew your blood. MDS shuts this down. You need transfusions a couple times a week. Your blood won't clot, hense the bleeding in the brain. It is caused by exposure to benzine, in gas, oil, fuel and other chemicals. The job he did for all those years killed him. Now I'm not saying that it is going to get everyone, in fact it's quite rare. I should wear gloves, but I can't manipulate my fingers with gloves on. I don't wash my hands with gas or fuel anymore though.
A lot of stuff we have all been around has bigger hazmat documents than most rag papers anymore, we have all been in those conditions if over 40 where took a shortcut, did not wear gloves, washed parts or ourselves in stuff not meant to be on humans. We will all pay a piper to some extent where none of us get out of this life alive either, just shorten our time considerably.
I have a feeling from serving this great country is what will take mine in the end, it will be drawn out but as time goes on the ability breathe will get worse and suffocate in the end. Only 38 never smoked great shape but cause time in war zone of sandstorms, sulphuric fire, burn pits, burning feces with JP8 and oil pit fires I now have RAD reactive airway disease which I believe will turn in COPD in the future. When I get sick as I am now I have trouble getting air and smells simple as cooking choke me. Inhalers don’t work at these times but the world doesn’t stop to rest so why should I. Depressing yes but I savor the good times and do what I can to live normal.
Reading the last few post makes me wonder how many here still think OSHA MSHA and the EPA are the problem some think they are for companies. I would be the first to agree that every one of those outfits have a rule or two that are way over the line. Like when I hear of some inspector writing up a company because he spotted a banana peel or half a donut in an uncovered waste basket. Or Or a mechanic using a homemade tool like some of us here have used to remove the nut off the end of a hydraulic ram with the aid of a back hoe bucket's down pressure. One has to understand that most, if not all, of those rules have solid information behind them. For every home-made tool that has been used for years with not so much as a broken finger nail there is one out there being made by someone who has less brains that a bucket of rocks! The problem is too often those trying to enforce the rules are under the gun from those above them to write paper and not to make judgments on what is safe or dangerous!
I dealt with coal mine MSHA for years and we had a good inspector that I worked with hand in hand. He picked out things in that 50 year old shop and wash plant that had possibilities to create some very bad days for someone. Later on he no longer came and a pencil pusher came around who's only mission was to write big tickets. I learned quick to make him provide chapter and verse out of the books just which item he wanted to put paper on were a violation. He supposedly had a master's degree in mine safety? I don't to this day think there is such a thing and if there is it is a government paper bestowed for longevity. The point is there are good and bad. In this instance, if the goal was personal safety, I'm all for it. What I see in many cases though, especially with the EPA, the exercise was nothing but a power grab.
Been around the type, Here to Help they are not, there to make a name for themselves with the higher ups they are, Brown nosers and not due the respect that man from MSHA helped you at John c deserved.
I agree with the good and bad inspectors. Never dealt with MSHA much but monthly with OSHA as a rule. We usually had OSHA partnerships on the bigger jobs. With a partnership they would come to the project monthly and inspect the entire building and site along with management and we would pick a few different tradesmen to accompany us each time. OSHA could not issue a citation on any issue unless it was written up and was still happening at a later inspection. The older agents were real good for the most part, the college grads usually had issues. I used to challenge them with work that I had coming up and asking them in a proactive way what there ideas were in order to insure safety. It gave them something to do and kept there mind busy. Explaining why some of their ideas could not work brought delight to me and to the more senior OSHA officers when we discussed it around the table in our wrap up meetings. I think it helped them realize that all the answers are not in their books or book learning.
I have a lady consultant that is Ex Labor and Industry... OSHA at our state level, that comes in once a year to check out the shop and show me what I would take hits on. 200 bucks for a visit is cheap vs getting nailed for violations. She also Certifies first aid and CPR training.
Proper PPE! In the last 15 years or so the company has spent a fortune on safety. It started with federal work. You had to be come safety compliant in order to bid on federal jobs. Then the province slid in and you had to be come core certified. Now in the last 3 years, the city it self also requires core certification. Job procedures, safe work practices, PPE, training for road signage in construction zones, confined space, fall arrest, trenching, one first aid provider for every 10 guys. Tool box talks, joint health and safety committee meetings, daily equipment inspection sheets. Then we hired a consultant. Oh what a joy she is.This week, everything is fine, next week, you're doing it wrong. Everyone is pretty much compliant. Actually her biggest headache is the shop. PPE and house keeping. Most incident reports and near misses in our monthly meeting comes from the shop. She even makes us wear hard hats doing private jobs at someones house. Wasn't too bad when our own safety supervisor used to bring the consultant around. He would send a text saying he was coming to a private job. We would throw on our hard hats, make sure our signs were up. She would come, review our paper work, and all would be well. The owners daughter took the job as safety girl as the super had to spend more time in the office. She is bound and determined to catch us in the act. We even told her it would be better for her to give us warning when the consultant was here. Looks good for us, looks good for her. No way... only warning we get, is if she hits another crew before us, or if she doesn't know where we are working and has to text to find out.
Woman in my house sat next to me last night. Keeps saying she is my wife. Put my hand on her leg and she said "Im too old for that s#$%." This is definitely some kind of joke being played on me.
Had to change the Combo on the Gun Safe here, wife was asking questions as to how many bullets in handguns, are they loaded etc!! She is NOT too happy being all too close these days!!
I'm so happy the bulk of my work is residential, I cannot even stand going to commercial jobs and having to throw on a hardhat. One pit here clamped down a few years ago, in order to get out of truck and go up to window you needed steel toes, safety vest, hard hat, glasses, and gloves, it was absolutely insane. Switched to another company, they couldn't give 2 ***** about any of it. A few years ago I actually got banned from a dump site for 2 weeks for not wearing steel toes. All I did was walk to rear of truck check to make sure box was clean and that's it, they required the full get up to do that. They didn't like my comment of, if I need steel toes here they ain't going to do any good anyway. One of the benefits of running my own show and not having employees, I can tell workers comp where to go. Up until about 2 years ago I rarely wore steel toes in the summer, i'd just wear running shoes. I finally got in the habit of wearing them everyday.
Mine has her own safe...
Caution to the Wind!!
Talked to our local leo the other day......said domestic's were way up..lol. go figure. Ed
I find a good pair of work boots more comfy than running shoes when your on your feet all day.
I don't mind the vest, as long as it's not plastic, or the boots. They want the 8 inch, laced to the top, told her I didn't think I could walk in heels that high. She didn't like the joke, and I still only wear the six. I wear glasses if I using the leaf blower to clean the dirt of the road, way easier and faster than a broom by the way, or if I using the cut off saw to cut pavement. Hell I even wear ear plugs running the saw, But that old plastic bucket on my head to make mr and mrs so and so driveway ready to pave....f that!!!!!
Yeah.... try wearing the plastic greenhouse when you're grade hopping... or doing most other kinds of dirtwork that requires some elbow grease
I used to get Lime green short sleeve button up shirts with reflector strips on the pockets and the back from one of the laundry suppliers. I hate vests and tee shirts with a passion. The shirts were OSHA approved and pretty comfortable.
Oh I kick the HH off a lot when I have to go lute asphalt on hot days. We used to wear the reflective suspenders, but they're not class III so they are no longer acceptable. I work in a place where the owner has only fired 4 people since 1974. He realizes how hard it is to get good men. I mean if you're not worth a f, they just don't bring you back next season, but no one gets sent home. His brother would send guys home every day, but he just calls them up and tells them to pay no attention to him, and get back to work. The safety consultant is trying to get him to suspend guys, of fire people for safety, but is will never happen. The paper work is all in order, and we are pretty much safety compliant. The only slacking off is on private jobs, and even then it's only hard hats. We even do our field level hazzard assesments on private jobs. The provincial safety guy never comes to private jobs, but he has started showing up on jobs looking for daily equipment inspection sheets.
Had to wear fall protection accessing flatbed trailers to retrieve/hookup our fuel transport casks, Safety saw the casks were over the Six Foot and decks were close to the Four foot rule(Did not apply) rule so applied that even as we never crossed that, and what did we attach to? The Upper casks as if that made any sense. Had to enter a work zone when running that Dump rig in '18, NEVER left the truck but required having a hard hat and be wearing a HiVis shirt or vest, that could not be seen outside the truck and Safety Toe shoes. Just Dumb.
Our County is letting the Shelter at Home order expire today, still no bars or restaurants allowed to reopen, those under State orders to remain closed except carryout food.
You can actually get a "degree" in safety. I was actually talking to our safety guy about it a few weeks ago. Been debating a career change and was curious what was needed to become a health and safety officer.
I hear it's not too hard.... how much of a 'dick' can you be?
I think it should be a prerequisite to have at least 5 years experience in a related industry before being allowed to be a safety officer. Far too many couldn't do what we do.
I don't know how to do your job, but my book says you're doing it wrong
you mean like this guy..?
Would that it were so, but unfortunately most people who end up in Safety (or Personnel for that matter) are usually there because there were totally useless everywhere else and were hived off into their current job because nobody had the balls to fire them - IMHO.
It always burnt my a## when I had to wear a hard hat under a ROPS canopy or cab when I was on dozer ! I got bi##hed at a few times when I was caught without it on. I was very diligent about wearing a seat belt. Except on a slope that was so steep I would sit on the armrest of the seat.
The job is designed to turn you into a dick. Some pen pusher in an office comes up with these rules and guidelines for us to follow. There are those in our industry that will not comply with even the basic safety rules. A vest for me is just as automatic as putting a shirt on. If I am going onto a big job, so is the hard hat. 90% of the time, if you try to meet these guys with what they want, it's all good. WE had a foreman that would wear his hard hat, and take it off if he saw Roland coming, just to fight with him. It all comes down to liability. Safety, at least here in NB is one of those times when ..it runs up hill. If I am non compliant, why didn't my foreman make sure I was working safe? Why didn't the super make sure the foreman made me work safe? Why didn't Les Flett make sure the super he hired was enforcing the rules. Why did the government officer, that was here yesterday, not write an order to have us comply or shut down? The way it is here, if we don't pass our safety audit every 3 years, we can't bid the work. They audit our paper work, full time sites, the shop, the asphalt plant, the office, the quarry, leased and company owned pits. We lost a great shop foreman because he wasn't prepared to take liability for the men under him. His nerves got the best of him, and now he works in the stockroom.
Worked a Power Station, unless been inside one most do not realize stays around 100-105 INDOORS all year, ventilation gets swapped to keep from cooling high stress heated steel components or water systems. Came NFPA 2007, upped at 2010, then 12 and finally as I left in 17. Clothing had to be Fire 'Retarded'(actually Retardant but OK) had to have labeling to prove such. Used to wear ALL cotton and was good until 07, then had to be proved 100% cotton with Fire Retarding, so comes Fire Retarded Clothes, special treatment smells as were soaked in a Dead Bears *** for a month, cannot Excessively wash, cannot use fabric softeners, HAD to wear Long Sleeves for Arc Flash Protection, was fine for close to 15 years for me and 20 for others NOT doing so. One in 10,000 gets a Arc Flash event, usually due to inept or fails to follow strict use and established instructions in operating, So everyone gets Punished. Final stages of 12 and 17 FULL Coveralls and hoods to be worn, gear weighed close to 40 lbs, thick as Military Wool Blankets, and OVER all the other clothes we were REQUIRED to wear in 100-105 degree heat. Like to have killed some of our electricians, almost gave ME heat stress ONE TIME. Safety would not hear the opposite side of Danger with this stuff, so we all grouped and when HAD to rack breakers or work around 'Live(Presumed)' conductors we would change into scrubs then don the gear, was a little better at least bearable. Worst building I worked in was the "Round Building"(Reactor Containment) at power, best could cool the Ground floor was 105, at the entry hatch 47' up was 118, anywhere around the Alpha Steam Generator access opening was 125, Contamination levels were suspect high so wore Protective Clothing for that, THEN they tried to get us to wear that crap INSIDE there at power! Radiation Protection threw a fit as calculated stay times were short to begin with, this gear cut that by half again where would be subjecting two to three times the personnel numbers to save a POTENTIAL 1/10000. They got it blocked.
Was watching a show on Discovery about building P&H mining shovels. They said hard hats were not required because if anything fell it was so heavy a hard hat wouldn't make any difference. I guess there's such a thing as being a good/respected safety officer but most of the time they have no idea about the job or have people fight them every step. I worked in a vessel shop and the safety officer wanted us to take our welding helmets off and put on hard hats to walk to the rod oven to get more rods. It was revised that the welders didn't need to wear hard hats while getting supplies in the middle of welding. I worked in a shop where they alternated who the safety person was on night shift. What a pain that was. Had one older guy that refused to wear his safety glasses. What do you do? Report him to the boss and he'll do everything he can to make you miserable. OHSA is kind of a joke sometimes too. Supposed to do surprise inspections but notify the shop the day before they're coming. Boss hands out safety glasses to everyone and says to wear them between 10am to 12am or until the inspector leaves. That said it's good that stricter worker safety protocols are put in place. Guy I went to school with damaged his lunges working in a shop without adequate ventilation or exhaust fans.
Working for the U.P. What an experience! It was like watching paint dry. Their safety meetings were......different. I mean full ppe.. all of it. I was pointed out one morning for not wearing my hearing protection. Really? How in the hell was I supposed to hear what was being said at these meetings? These guys tried to be so safe they were dangerous. And lazy! yeah. Hippocrates too. Notice the little skinny guy standing right in front of my loader.. Thats their safety compliance expert. The one that I had a run in about me not wearing hearing protection at their 5:00 am safety meeting. I like his hard hat. The last pic... it was about 115* that day. I bet I sat there for over 10 hrs that day. If their share holders only knew how much money was wasted on a daily basis, there would be no more U. P.
Safety officer wanted everyone to wear ear plugs all the time. Foreman agreed with me that you can tell a lot by the sound how well your root pass is going in. Some people lose their sense of balance with ear plugs.
I love welding with ear plugs in, I can tell when the weld is really cooking great and I can hear people actually better, plus I'm not being startled by unsettling noises so much that normally wouldn't startle someone, damn PTSD and tinnitus. I know why I can hear better with them is cause it blocks out background noises. Wimp is what he is, should seen the full chemical suits we wore in Iraq with K-pots on in 115 plus degree temperatures along with occasional gas mask on while rucking with 100 plus pounds loads across Iraq deserts, think that contributed to frying my brain
Just toss him a whaaburger and french cries in the corner and proceed on with your jobs as you wish
Asked a Safety rep what the Fall Protection distance was for our Rip cord attachment leads response distance, stated "Did Not Know" so asked him to look it up, 13.6 feet, we were working ~five feet off the floor. So he put us on YoYos, again asked response distance, 4.6 feet,. Stared at him for a moment, got that Deer in Headlights look, then asked him to be the Guinea pig demonstrator for testing our work position, he left the room and we continued as if nothing had occurred!!
I was a first line manager supervising a couple of outside crews for SW Bell and I had to have a one on one safety meeting and tool inspection with each person once a month. I wasn't some jerk off desk jockey and could have done any job that anyone in my crew performed. One of my crews had to climb poles so inspecting their climbers was extremely important. If they are dull or sharpened at the wrong angle they might cut out. I learned how to climb poles in the Air Force and learned how to burn a pole - that really hurt. They were picking splinters out of my chest and legs for an hour in the base dispensary.
Wore a set of hooks awhile, still have scars from a SHORT Pole Burn Down, not been on one since those days.
My neighbor is retired from the power company. Said when he was training to be a lines man, once they had all their gear on, the instructor would say everyone pick a pole, 30 seconds, all I want to see are boots and asses.
Guess that's the point I strip down to nothing but boots and my bare as, you asked for it Drill Sgt.
Before I started the classroom part of tech school in the USAF they made everyone in the class climb a 30 or 40 foot tower to be sure we weren't afraid of heights (I wasn't .) Then we learned how to climb - up and down, up and down, belt in, circle the pole at the top, back down, back up, pound in a J Hook, etc. The instructor gave us kotex pads to wear between top pad of the climber and our inside leg otherwise we would rub a sore. What memories.
Where I was working had a woman call and say she was very embarrassed asking but asked if we sold -ussy pads. I said I wasn't familiar with the term and asked what they were used for. She didn't know, one of the guys in the shop just asked her to order some and didn't know the proper name. I suggested maybe a pad for kneeling on. I didn't want to be the one to tell her some guys use them for sweatbands.
Thats a new one to me. I'll have to google it.
Well at least I can resume reassemble on the spare trans. Clutch plates arrived today, from QC Canada. Have not unboxed so hoping all looks good when do.
Also used on googles. Scroll down to the 6th post. https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto...ice-Serious-question-sweat-absorbtion,1298841
When had to suit up in Level A HAZMAT Suits for Fire Brigade or during HAZMAT Incidents(Acid or Caustic Leaks) we used to tape them on the Hardhats we had to wear inside the suit to wipe condensation off the window
When dad bought the funeral home in 69, he was also the ambulance service. He carried kotex in the first aid kit...nothing better at absorbing blood. Ed
Speakin of pole burn, kinda reminded me of this old chestnut! A woman from Los Angeles who was a tree hugger and an anti-hunter purchased a piece of timberland near Colville , WA. There was a large tree on one of the highest points in the tract. She wanted a good view of the natural splendor of her land so she started to climb the big tree. As she neared the top she encountered a spotted owl that attacked her. In her haste to escape, the woman slid down the tree to the ground and got many splinters in her crotch. In considerable pain, she hurried to a local ER to see a doctor. She told him she was an environmentalist, a tree hugger, and an anti-hunter and how she came to get all the splinters. The doctor listened to her story with great patience and then told her to go wait in the examining room and he would see if he could help her. She sat and waited three hours before the doctor reappeared. The angry woman demanded, "What took you so long?" He smiled and then told her, "Well, I had to get permits from the Environmental Protection Agency, the Forest Service, and the Bureau of Land Management before I could remove old-growth timber from a 'recreational area' so close to a waste treatment facility. I'm sorry, but due to Obama-Care they turned you down."
I see in the news that the feds are going to let individual states start to lift your restrictions
Not much will change here until May...personally I don't have a problem with it. Better safe than dead. Money wise, it's kicking our ass, loml's cafe is operating take out only 3 days a week. It pays for the food but not the bills. She has loyal customers that keep coming, some all 3 days. Had someone from 30 miles away last weekend, brought the whole family, nice day, they went to the park to eat. I can only hope she'll be swamped when regular business operations can resume. Ed
New Brunswick is a small province. Not a lot of industry here anymore. A lot of potential mining, but the government keeps shutting it down in the developmental stages. determined to keep us dependent on Alberta oil and provincial transfer payments. Then they seem determined to keep the west from getting their oil to market. Anyway we have one of the lowest numbers as far as C19 cases. The Province opened the 4 wheeler trails for the weekend as long as people practiced social distancing. I guess that didn't work because they are shutting them down again. Fishing season has been postponed until May first as well
I saw the flip flop on your atv trail opening. Seems the premier wasn’t involved in the opening decision and didn’t like it so it was reversed. There are a lot of people who don’t approve of atvs and feel they should be permanently banned. We are lucky here as there is no control of trails in our area so we ride as we like . I don’t think there will be any rallies this spring though. That doesn’t bother me.
There's talk of banning ATV's in Alberta because ALL the forest fires are caused by ATV's... or it's easy to blame them on ATV's.
Every time we go to Alberta for some awesome mountain trail riding they close more areas. They seem to think it should be saved for hikers only. The only hikers we’ve ever seen way back in the trails were 3 guys from Israel that hiked 3 days to get there.
They can still ride, but they will close anything on crown land. The snowmobile federation leases the old rail beds from December 15 I think till April 15. During that time ATVs can be fined. Buddy of mine went out this weekend, said that there were a lot of bikes out, but they were partying at the shelters even though they were asked not to. The ATV club had told everyone the shelters were closed. Only takes a few bad eggs to draw the law into it.
There's always some that think they should get special privilege's. I won't be able to open my track for at least a month but I need to find out if there are specific rules for a practice track. They say no gatherings of more than 15 people and social distancing must be observed which I could do but need something more specific for motorized recreation. I don't want some neighbor to complain because they hear some bikes and the cops come out and make up some rule(s) that never existed.
Osage county sheriff had fun with ROW intruders on the old Rock Island roadbed last fall. Had a couple of ATV types decided to try to ride outrun the sheriff and took to the trail as were getting close to being caught on the county roads. Only problem was when got to Gasconade River Bridge, evidently forgot was a little fire, around thirty cross ties were burned AWAY. Got up on bridge, almost ate the iron work destroyed BOTH ATVs, had to lifeflight the idiots to Jeff City. BOTH ATVs were later recovered and impounded but not likely ever to be ridden again anyway. Both nitwits could have died, are barricades going up now to impede any further use of it.
Very good with warm friendships thank you for kindness
We're trying to keep our two small restaurants in business with regular takeout orders. Our town is quite tiny so we appreciate our local businesses. We have two gas stations, seven churches, a Family Dollar and a school. Oh and a feed store.
Thank you for good friendship
I think in cases like that there should be proper barricades and large warning signs bridge is out. Years ago I was riding dirt bikes with some friends near the river (it was allowed at the time) and they were putting in a new overpass. We rode across the overpass just to check it out but it was only 3/4's completed. There were no warnings or anything. They had a piece of guard rail bent across where the bridge ended but it didn't go all the way across. Had we'd been going fast or not been paying attention we would have all likely been killed falling about 80' to the river. I think in cases like bridges and such there should be requirements for proper signage and adequate safety precautions because you never know what could happen. Somebody shouldn't die just for being curious.
About 20 years ago or more, a bypass was under construction. The entire road had been finished to the point where they were ready for inch and a quarter gravel. The approach to an overpass was done, but no work had started on it. It was winter and the snowmobiles raced on the road. Each side of the approach had 12 foot high barricades with road closed signs about half a mile from the drop off, then another set at the end that said road ends. Some guys having a few drinks, snowmobile club and started up the road in the dark. Just before the drop off the trail turned off, and went down to the existing road level, where it crossed, then headed away from the new road. One guy not from the area, pulled out and passed his buddies, went off the end and landed on the asphalt road 20 feet below. He ended up in a wheel chair. Sued the province and won.
There was a guy that had a sand pit that let the bikes ride there. It was first place to be ridable after winter and he even groomed a track for an oldtimers race. Some idiot in a 4x4 drove around the top of the pit and off the bank. He tried to sue but I think he lost. There were lots of open pit and no trespassing signs. The bikes had permission as long as they didn't leave a mess and respected the rules. After that the guy shut the pit down for riding.
The shocking part is how easy some big companies get away without safeguarding sites. Back when I still lived at home a construction company dug up the road in front of the house to put sewer and water into a few lots, they were down easily 20' and all they had to block off the excavation was orange snow fencing and it was open for weeks. On top of that they were dug from one edge of the road to the other. Tons of neighbors were calling the city, province, everything trying to get them to come and look at the hazard, many simply said "no the road isn't dug up, there's no permits pulled" and that it was it. They never pulled permits for closing off the road, so if an emergency vehicle needed to get through it would take an extra few minutes to go around and could up with someone dying. In the end they got absolutely nothing in the way of fines. But as a little guy, i've had someone complain about a bit of mud in an alley and bylaw shows up and will ticket if it's not cleaned up. And when I needed permission to close 1 lane on a road for an hour for a demo? Oh man that took weeks to get approval from the city, and it was during the time parking was allowed in that lane.
We'll leave open areas on the street, but they park the Machinery all around it, snow fence, caution tape. Only overnight, always backfilled on weekends. We were hauling snow one night this winter. We haul everything you can get on. Around midnight the commercial vehicle enforcement guy landed in his pajamas. Said he got a call from his super that we were hauling unsafe loads. Said he followed one of us, and saw one small snowball on the side of the road. He said he had to come because he was called. Didn't care what we did, but if someone did get a snowball in the windshield, it was on us. He suggested keeping the loads down till the traffic died down. If you wanted them to come in a hurry, you'd never see them.
Interesting enough OSHA does not require a hard hat per say. The regulation says to paraphrase, " head protection must be worn if there is an exposure to hitting ones head or if something could drop on or otherwise hit your head." That being said, it was a requirement of every project insurance policy I ever had to read. It is amazing how much of the BS part comes from insurance companies whom often have no clue.
See now, here, New Brunswick Occupational Health and Safety, and New Brunswick Construction Safety, are the standardized regs for the province. A lot of companies policies exceed the minimum. When Weyerhauser had the OSB mill here, they were crazy. We did a safety orientation every couple of years to work on their site. They had a room for orientations in their warehouse. One of their rules, No walking in or out of an over head door. As you left the class, there was a man door right next to the overhead door. The overhead was open. Everyone walked out the overhead. Everybody back inside! Guess non of you were listening! Had to do the class over. Most of our regs meet or slightly exceed the provincial standard. we are supposed to have one First Aid provider for every ten guys. We have at least one for every crew. My crew has three, and I am the first aid guy. Now the work safe regs say that class E type 1 headwear must be worn on a project site. A project site being basicly defined as any where construction is being done. Eye wear is required if there is a risk. Your paper trail is the key I guess. Health and Safety meetings, tool box talks, incident and near miss reporting. Field level hazard assesments. Daily equipment inspection sheets. Every monday morning is an hour or more paper work before you can start.
A good friend is a UAW health and safety rep at a GM die build plant, he was a diemaker, knows his stuff. His GM counterpart is clueless, she came from a parts wharehouse. Maintaniance was assembling something, no place to tie off. 3 story hi-bay, so the "steel" was out of the question as they were 12-15' off the floor. What do we tie off to? Go get the brody, boom up, tie off. Cool. She walks past.....has a cow. ***? Lol, always overreacts without thinking. It's so bad, guys put down their tools and go get coffee when she walks past. Ed
A few years ago I went out to install a big log grapple on a 988 at a sawmillL the machine was parked in the open beside their shop well away from anything and anyone They wouldn’t let us onsite. Their insurance company checked our companies insurance and found that we weren’t “reporting a standardized safety training program” so they had no way to grade if we were safe or not. We had to file for a waiver, wait a couple hours, then get a 45 minute safety briefing and video concerning absolutely nothing that we were doing. We finally got onsite after noon. The part that really irritates me is they knew we were coming it wasn’t a surprise but they made no effort to inform us or anything to get it settled beforehand
Aye, the oilfield safety Nazi. I can't stand them. Most of them are so over the top and full of themselves it's unreal. Our HSE gal is a royal PITA just to be one. I don't mind working safe. I wear steel toes, hard hat, safety glasses and FRC clothing everyday to work. Thats just what we do. It's not difficult to work safely and efficiently at the same time, and it doesnt take a college degree to figure out something isnt safe. I crushed my right hand when I was 17 and learned a hard lesson about safety. I recovered 95% or better, but it absolutely changed my mindset when approaching my work. If something doesn't look right, I stop and reassess. I don't take shortcuts that risk my safety or the safety of others. Just not worth it. As a guy I used to work with always said "slow down, you'll go faster".
You've all seen the photos I’ve posted of fully assembled machines being moved in one piece on a lowboy. Well stories like JD’s were exactly the reason we started assembling at our place where we could work with our safety rules and then hauling to the customer. One of the major problems was that each of the major mining companies had slightly different requirements and trying to satisfy each of them was a total pain.
Hey everyone. Just checking in. Not much new here. Still just hunkered down. I popped in once or twice just to see what was happening, but other then that, have pretty much kept off the computer and any other kind of social media. I can honestly say that I haven't missed it. It is a different world, but have learned how to live with it. Shopping is almost pleasant now with everyone keeping their distance. I order what I can online and do the rest early in the morning when us seniors are allowed in. Little things like walking the Pom are even different, you meet someone now and both parties give wide berths, walk on the other side of the street. We have learned how to visit by standing at the end of the drive and talking to friends. Lots of the people in my subdivision that I have never met will have chairs set up by the front door and will engage in conversation now as you walk past. Kind of nice. We have also learned how to use things like facetime to visit our grandson and other friends. So really for me, it hasn't been all that bad. The ebike, the real ebike not the little one from the other thread, has been getting a workout, have put close to 1000 km on it. Once this cloud cover burns off will get out for a 50 to 80 km ride today. Hopefully the rest of you have been doing okay. And I'm off again. Take care all.
When I worked at the mall we had toolbox meeting and the boss, who was a former ironworker, was always trying to push safety. Only thing is it didn't apply to him. They had a section of the skylights on the roof removed in the amusement park to install parts of the new spinning roller coaster. There was a storm coming and he wanted to put a tarp over the hole. He went up on the roof with a few others to put the tarp on. They were holding the tarp and needed to get it pulled across the hole. He figured it was a good idea to walk across a beam with the tarp spread out. A gust of wind came up grabbed the tarp and he fell off the beam being extremely lucky and landing on some scaffolding about 12' below. He came about 6" away from being impaled on the corner post of the scaffolding with a connector in the tube. I was the welding supervisor and he knew I would bring up safety issues when warranted. He was practically begging me not bring his incident up at the next toolbox meeting in a couple days. He was trying to say the scaffolding was only 6' below. A little while later he finally told me he scared himself pretty good. Another worker who had been there longer later told me the boss had broke his arm but never told anyone or reported it. If he would missed the scaffold he would have fell to his death at least 40' below in the middle of an amusement park. Ran into ironworker at my track who had worked with the boss when he was an ironworker and he asked if everyone working with the boss still had all their fingers. Guess he had quite the reputation for not following safe practices. He was also a mayor of a smaller city outside Edmonton. It wasn't hard to tell he was a politician. Tells you what you want to hear but doesn't mean a darn thing.
Glad you and the mrs. are doing well. Its a different world right now.
When I worked Automotive Machine years ago the owner was do as I say not as I do type. One morning I'm working over a set of International 345 heads and the owner was setting a Continental flat head 4 cylinder head up in the surfacing machine. It was a well used Van Norman surfacer and you had to take your time on set up to get a head locked in just right. He flipped the switch and it made a few passes then I heard it change tone, I hit the floor. It shot that head out and landed on top of the added on restroom roof in the shop. It cut a 3/8 deep half moon in the head deck and the stone in the surfacer exploded shooting pieces all over the shop at lightening speed. I crawled over and shut the machine down while he was laying on the floor bleeding from the side of his shoulder where a piece of stone got him. Lucky he had a head left. No pun intended. We had another cylinder head to replace the destroyed one and another stone for the surfacer, which I changed out and I surface ground the other cylinder head. The surfacer below is a broach type not a stone type. Only photo I could find of a similar machine.
I believe you failed to make a point. Insurance companies try to find rules you won't conform to. If they impose a rule you violate, they still collect premiums, but don't have to pay. "Joe broke his leg." "Was he wearing a hard hat?" "No?" "I'm afraid we can't pay." If corporations called their bluff, said this operator is sitting behind safety glass, he doesn't need safety glasses, we will get our insurance from an insurer that doesn't impose ridiculous rules, they might reconsider. I see mill operators, their job is to wait until a gauge reads an unacceptable level, then push a stop button. They are exposed to nothing worse than a bit of dust. They wear hard hats, and safety glasses & steel toed boots.
As far as the quarantine going --- not too good for my daughter a couple of days ago. She decided to make some hand sanitizer in her kitchen by mixing alcohol and aloe vera gel. That went ok. But, right after that she made some sanitizer out of bleach and water. The bleach fumes combined in the air with some lingering alcohol fumes. She was immediately stricken with sever chest pains. A CT scan a little later revealed pneumonitis. It is an inflammation of the lung tissue. She and her husband are both confined to their home for two weeks. No visitors ! The doctor said a virus would be a deadly serious thing to come in contact with for her.
Between other things, received the clutch discs for the Spare tans, decided to see how the pack height was and assembled. KNEW it was not right as started to assemble, had taken it apart on a bench and NO dropped pieces so shocked me to see this. A .250 dowel slot, NO Dowel. This is the outboard Clutch pack stop for this speed, is supposed to be Locked to the hub and wasn't. Know the discs are splined to collar and steels to clutch hub/gear but this could allow slippage to an extent. .200 length of quarter inch drill rod and all is back right. hub
There was talk earlier about safety precautions and I just came across this in my neck of the woods. Interesting when you read he had alcohol in his system and severe heart disease including an enlarged heart. Still very tragic. There was explosion at a shop in Nisku at Christmas in 2018 where another welder was killed but they never released what exactly happened or if the company was charged. There was talk of cylinders so I'd guess they had acetylene cylinders incorrectly stored with no ventilation. https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/cessco-fined-for-2016-fall-that-killed-veteran-welder/ https://edmontonjournal.com/news/politics/one-dead-two-injured-in-nisku-welding-shop-explosion/
In the middle of all this, some nut job decided to pretend he was a cop, and go on a killing spree in Nova Scotia. 18 dead last I heard. The shooter is dead as well
Are you seeing tons of conflicting reports too? Like some before said suspect in custody, etc. Seems really odd.
Either way NOT Good up in North country, Prayers for all involved from here.
Everything I have seen so far indicates he is dead. Even the New York times and CNN. Global says they are looking for motive, no mentioning of questioning him. Just as well, then we won't have to pay to keep him. I worked at the prison here in Renous this fall, and saw Justin Bourque out inside one of the play pens. I guess the inmates think he is great, being a cop killer.
Insurance policies are designed to make the insurance companies money for sure. I don't believe they could refuse to pay for an injury unless it was spelled out that they would not pay if no hard hat and/or safety glasses were being worn. I will say that our coverage did not require a hard hat in the EROPS. Nor safety glasses as long as the door and windows were shut. The point I was making is that it is not a mandatory OSHA provision but actually is one in which they used common sense.
All injuries on the job in the states are covered by some kind of industrial insurance which as far as I know are run by the individual states. The programs as far as I know never make money which is why the business owners are always complaining about the costs going up all the time. Two things drive the costs. The first is the number of lost time accidents and the second is the ever increasing cost of medical care. Yes there are people stuck on themselves and their quest for power over others. The other side of that is all safety rules are written in blood.
Talking safety, when I was in high school I ran around with this kid that his dad ran a foreign car repair shop and his Grand father was a tool die maker machinist. His name was Winfred and he wore green Dickies shirts and pants plus a green machinist visor 7 days a week, drove a black 1967 XKE as a daily driver and a 66 MKII 4dr for Sunday. Mark the kid was having discussion with his dad about something he had done that was foolish using a jack.----Winfred was standing in the stairwell to the machine shop listening to the argumentative **** chat between father and son. Winfred interrupted and Spouted {Mark you know how you can tell a smart successful old machinist? he held his hands up-you see Winfred was 85 years old and still had all his digits}. One of Winfred's great/very cool things he had built over the years was the cooking/stirring pots for Pautzke's Balls of Fire Fishing Eggs, which are made in Ellensburg, Wa. He also had a very neat collection of toy steam engines that he built every part, all of them ran and some even had whistles.
Somethings gotta give here, ethier the virus or the crappy weather cause I'm losing it. Damn near filled my beer coozie with cat food tonight. Ed
You really hungry??? or just running out of beer?
Screw the quarantine! I got to break / remove rocks this week. Our job has been shut town for 3 weeks due to the corona thing. I really don't understand how any virus would impact me, my job and the work that I do. But that's just me...I'm hungry and just like a prostitute, I'll do just about anything for money. That said, myself and my foreman actually got to work this week. The foreman grade checking and doing other foreman things and myself on the breaker, the 800 and the 10R. BTW, this is (obviously) extra work. I'll take it any way can
Been walking a lot. Dog enjoys it. Love early mornings, best part of the day. Sitting on my ass in a grader for years have not been good for my waist line. Was thinking about stepping it up to a jog. Last night, I was acting out with my daughter, and started to run out of her room. Jumped over her bean bag chair, and landed on the head of an LOL doll. Like stepping on a lego block. Pulled the other leg forward really fast, to get off the LOL..... bam!!!! right into a hallway cabinet, and took out the two toes beside my little toe. They are the loveliest shade of black and purple. So much for jogging. Now the dog is pissed, and like are we going for a walk or not? Going sweeping tonight, doing parking lots with an L45G and a kick broom. Glad I'm working alone, cause I'll be wearing socks and sandals. Take that safety!!!
This afternoon we worked on a duck house. I can't say why, Seth & Savannah have ducklings. Started with six, Bailey the ancient huge yellow lab swallowed one whole. Then they were five. He may be into $1000. thus far on ducks. Building an A frame duck house. Next phase is a small pool in the brook they can splash in.
Had ducks in a former life.....sneaky little chits. About the time you noticed one missing, she would show up with a dozen little ones, ***? Never figured out how they could keep so many eggs warm at once. Ed
Working from home. Catching up on some unfinished projects that were hiding out in the shop. Largest project at hand is Bobcat 843 skid steer. Working to put all the pieces back together again. I find myself also stocking up on miscellaneous hardware for future projects. So far I bought an assortment of metric fasteners, some fuel line, spring clamps, and some vacuum hose. Any suggestions on other good items to keep on hand for miscellaneous repair work? I don't have a huge budget, but enjoy keeping some common things on hand.
Have to buy a load of lumber this week, going to add a new hunting stand where a few runs and trails cross. Simple enough layout, a small condo on stilts where can stay Dry, Warm and comfy, perhaps allow the nephews to come and set up even sleep in it to get a earlier shot for them!! Most likely have WAY Too much money and time in it but something to do! Also have to get the lumber to set up the Wife's Entertainment area(TV and Stereo Shelving). Be a basic built in hanging off the wall for the TV, Stereo, book shelves knick-knack junk shelves/cables hide. Will also be buying steel to build a similar to the bar set up as that D/S and a new Bullet trap as neighbors are developing ALL too close these days to the property lines. Thinking a 2' long x 6" sch 40 or 80 pipe slit lengthwise, 1/4" side wall sheets with cross bracing to hang wood to set paper across, set on stilt legs up for stability and off the dirt so can hang a catch bucket under.
Not 100% sure from the description but thinking this is something for target practice shooting? Years ago had a neighbor who had a target range set up in his side yard. What he did to recycle the lead was to hang several about two foot square sections of conveyor belting, I know of this because I help get the scraps of belting from the quarry, above a sand pit. The belts as I recall were a couple inches apart. The sand was so he could sift around in it for any bullets that got through one belt but didn't stick into the next.
That photo of the D10R reminded me of this one, taken some years ago. I think I've posted it before but it's well worth posting again. Pete, you'll need to tension the tracks on the 10 a bit if you want to push rocks this size..... Has that 10R still got a HEUI engine in it or has it been repowered. I had sleepless nights with those things back in the day. What a dog.
I believe that 10R still has the HEUI engine. As for the tracks, that's typical of the company that I now work for. I'm just an operator now. I leave my wrenches, advice and suggestions at home. Sad but true. Speaking of rocks, A nice 988A that I ran years ago and one of ECCO's 9's I ran on rental for CMEX in Apple Valley Ca.
Yes KS, a trap for my own target practice. Considered a sand trap but this was much simpler, actually a copy from a fella I saw show off one nearly 50 years old and still quite functional little to no damage, the key is off setting the pipe to cause bullets to slide around not impale to the back. IF I get the gumption, will establish my own 500yd range for my 50, would REQUIRE a backstop depth of close to 20' of sand and covered on top to keep any redirected rounds from straying OUT. Using Clay or dirt gets too hard, and the damn things WILL ricochet, been known to travel up to two miles as we heard at Raton NM Range. Do NOT want to ever have 647GI or 750AMAX grains of nasty leave my place.
Might want to look into 3 miles of max range with bullet of that size, I've known at least one person to made kill shot at 2.19 miles
That is why the 20' of sand to catch the bullets, just for sight ins. NOT a routine use except for extended range use with my smaller rifles. Am figuring to dig a trench bucket wide 7G at least four feet deep, sides of rough cut whatever lumber can get hold of with a cover of treated lumber then bury the whole mess exposing only the entry point. That can be covered with layers of conveyor belting or tires laid flat even ties or any other sacrificial materials, anything to retain the sand as I do not intend to recover any of the slugs. Set targets in front of that and shoot thru them into the pit.
Well the sandals were not a good idea last night. Easier on the broken toes, but I blew a hose, and had to swap brooms, and it was below freezing, and I was alone. Brrr
Cold therapy! Broken toes are difficult to work with. Hope you got it back together with all your phalanges.
What's good for cleaning up rusted wrenches and sockets. When my father retired, he started working out of the back of his truck. All those shiny snap on wrenches that sat in a nice dry tool box in a heated shop for almost 50 years were suddenly exposed to frost and dampness. He has been gone for 10 years, and I have never got around to moving everything into my own place. The 3 little wrenches he carried around in his pocket, even on Sundays, are on my dresser, along with one of his blue hankies, and one of the white ones for Sundays. Some of it is rusted really bad, mostly sockets. Anything I could soak them in?
vinegar, believe it or not What size wrenches did he keep in his pocket?
He had a little Gray 1/4, a Snap on 5/16 and a Snap on 3/8. He and his brother started working for Ford as teens. My father started working on trucks on the 70s, but my uncle stayed with ford till he retired. He was an automatic transmission man. I had the wrenches in my pocket at the funeral, and my uncle laughed and pulled 3 little metric wrenches out of his pocket.
Might be more amusing to fill your cat bowl with beer
On the key ring that holds my truck and house keys since 2006.
Me and my wife’s wedding rings are made from real wrenches, forged them into wedding rings myself.
I wish I have a week quarantine, I work like a mule while most ppl sit at home and watch porn.
I dont know why but CAT spare parts are most expensive n most fast to obtain. How much does it cost a CAT 434E backhoe loader seal kit for a backet cilinder . here it is $250/ It is more easier to fit another cilinder from a different machine.
I’m still working 40 thank god Wife is about to put me to work on home improvement. We are getting rid of a nasty prefab sunroom this week and turning where it sat into an outdoor living area with a fabric canopy, a fire pit table and 6 captains chairs plus an area for my grill. This afternoon wife and I are going to look at flooring for the house as well to Replace the carpet. we got the house at a really good deal out of an estate sale so it’s time to put the $$$ into it to make it what we want plus get good value out of it when it’s time to sell if we wind up doing that
Last time the wife said she wanted a new home entertainment system I brought home a new waterbed. So now you know how long go that was.
Love your avatar, best video I seen. Good job Marvin Heemeyer!
I watched it on TV. That guy got really shafted
I started entertaining myself browsing through local sales on Facebook marketplace.....That cost me a few dollars. ****Warning don't spend time on marketplace! Its a dangerous hobby. Just ask my wife.****
She wasn't worth a Snap On?
HAHAHAHAHAHA!! Willie!!
As I had mentioned before, with my father's little wrenches, my siblings and I all have one of his blue and white hankies, and one of his white Sunday hankies. While I have never taken up the practice myself, I was wondering if any of you carry a snot rag around in your pockets?
Will use what I have of opportunity including Snot Rockets to the ground.
If they made one sure, but you can’t put a price on love. It’s like saying that you love a woman more cause you were able or were stupid enough to spend $20k on wedding ring than the man who could only afford one from Wal-Mart. It’s the thought that counts...
My wife's ring was $20 from Sears catalogue 52 years ago. Still together. d.d.
Interesting event yesterday Woman drives into grocer parking lot Wearing face mask She exits her car and begins harping at any and everyone else not wearing a mask Store manager comes out starts gathering carts(she likes getting away from desk) no mask Woman looks at her gets back in car drives off I dare say lockdown fever and virus fear has a hold on a great number of people
But a Snap On wrench doesn't cost $20,000.
There is a video online of a teacher screaming at teens playing in a park that she hopes they die of the virus I hope to god some do gooder starts screaming at me about not wearing a mask I’m going to blow them out
A Snap-On wrench might not cost $20,000 but a set of them could and then the box to put them in...
No idea what Snap on is like now for quality. I know most of my father's stuff is pretty old. I was always a big fan of their screw driver tips, as you could twist the screw head off before buggering the tip.. I have an old 3/8 drive ratchet of his. The tune up one with the bent handle and the hinge. He bought it in the late 50s. It needs a kit, wonder what that would cost. A guy came around selling another brand, said it was just as good a snap on. My father took the guy out behind the old shop. There was an old junked truck. He took buddy's wrench, a 12 point 7/8. put the box end on a nut. Pulled as hard as he could, and slipped the wrench on the nut. Took an old snap on, put the open end on the nut, put a pipe on the wrench, and broke the bolt.
Key words "Used to Be" I tried to get a ratchet kitted Here, dealer said could only exchange it as no longer serviced as a sub assembly. Also had some wrenches that were obviously Broken, stated could not Warranty as had marks indicating abused, SO local supply district rule. SO I am stopping use of them as replacements. Been watching Lowes Kobalt and even hate to say Harbor Freight sockets and ratchets, bought a few small tool replacements at our local CARQUEST and not unhappy with quality, thinness of impact sockets walls to fit into places and severe duty where they do stand up at least to My abuses.
I think Snap on warranty is up to the individual seller. I know a guy who worked at a motorcycle dealer and had a good Snap On rep. He exchange worn looking screw drivers and wrenches that were still usable. We have princess Auto here that is similar to Harbor Freight. They have a better warranty policy than anyone. If a tool breaks they replace it, no questions asked. Probably get a lot more repeat customers that way too.
I’ve personally never had a snap on rep refuse to warranty anything I broke. I’ve even had one ask how long the pipe was that disintegrated a 1/2” ratchet. Told him at least 4’. He just chuckled and fixed it.
I wasn't suggesting using Snap On wrenches. I was suggesting the woman of your dreams deserves a non Harbor Freight wrench. My neighbor when I was a child made stainless steel belt buckle rings for him & his bride C. 1945. The craftsmanship was flawless!
The dealer that supplied a great deal of mine retired several years ago. Called him as to whom I should take the warranty stuff, said here the district is not giving much against the line on warranties. He also stated was one of the reasons he decided was time to get out, he admitted he issued a greater number of warranties than Corporate would pay for, he was making less than $55,000 a year his last year in business, very close to what he made as he had started two decades prior on a route he developed on a customer client list he pampered. Pierce is now seventy+, he still lives same house he did when I first met him in 1979, still has his first new car a 1971 Dodge Challenger, will die before gives that up with the 63xxx miles on it. Tool Truck got sold to a newbie, he could not hack the route which by that time was 1/3 of what Pierce originally built, sold to another and finally the last one went broke sold the truck at auction and returned the inventory he still had to the Corporate store warehouse. Time never stands still.
The tool truck franchise ads all state “be your own boss” but they are heavily restrictive and the deck is very stacked against you, plus they take a hundred grand from you
I've had Princess auto replace a small engine, six months past the warranty, no questions asked. No receipt, didn't even look in the box. They all have a pretty good warranty, but if you are having to replace tools a lot, that's not much good either.. One of our service guys has Jet tools in his van. He says they are ok, but he likes his personal snap on stuff. Won't bring them to work, as long as the company is supplying their own. I guess it's just what you prefer. I have a pair of Klein linesman pliars, and a pair of Crappy tire ones. They look the same, but the Klein cut better, and seem to stay sharp. Same with their screw drivers. I try to keep them for electrical only, but they do work good.
Actually, that wrench spud shows is a Gedore, I was going to ask him where he got a brand new Gedore wrench in the states. 30 years ago, we built a rose greenhouse with a bunch of specialty subcontractors who came from Holland, Germany, and Scotland. They all brought Gedore tools to work with. I bought a bunch of them, because they didn't want to pay to ship them back across the pond. They have been great.
I think it depends on what you are doing with the tools. If I just need a big wrench for a hyd. fitting I don't have to buy the most expensive. I have friend who's a mechanic and only buys Snap On if it's a specialty tool for a specify job. Not that Snap On aren't good tools but he's like why spend a bunch of money needlessly. Sometimes certain tools like screwdrivers there is a big difference.
Nice car to keep! Always liked the Challengers better than the Chargers. I talked to a former Snap On rep quite awhile ago and it's a catch 22. They want you to sell as much as possible but you get punished if you do really well. They cut your territory back thinking it makes you work harder to get back to the same sales figures.
Since I don't wrench for a living, my only snap-on tools are all my ratchets.....got tired of crap and stepped up to the window. Never regretted it. Ed
When my brother inlaw took his plumbing trade, the instructor told them to lose the hardware store tools. Got him to cut a pipe with his brand new cutter, then gave him his 20 year old professional pipe cutter to try. He told them the hardware stuff is ok for hobby work, but if you are making 50 or 100 cuts a day, you'll appreciate the good stuff. Like buying cheap boots
Good quality tools are important when you use them everyday. I have a wide variety of brands, but have found a few good 'big box store' tools. My favorite box end combination wrenches are my Craftsman professional wrenches. They are fully polished, have a longer handle and were made in the USA. I purchased them in the early 90's when I was around 10-12 years old. Still use them regularly in the shop. I'm 38 now and have put them though the strength test many times. I bought a Wright brand set of box end wrenches to get some bigger sizes. It's in a tool roll and has wrenches larger than 1". I purchased them in 2014. They were made in the USA. I like the fit form and function, but typically only get them out for big jobs. I think you know where I am going with this post by now, 'buy the right tool once, or buy it twice'. I always try to buy American made tools when possible. I think the days of true brand devotion for tools is obsolete. I like Craftsmen still, but they sold out. Even before the sale they started sourcing import tools of inferior quality . I started rambling. Pay attention to your tools. Who makes them, where are they made, and inspect it for form and function before deciding. Do not select a tool merely on brand. The $200 big brand name tool might be made in the same foreign factory as the $50 off brand.
A lot of the high end tools are now made in China too.
When my father in law passed away I cleaned out his shop and brought home a treasure trove of primarily Craftsmen wrenches, maybe 50 screwdrivers and about a dozen tape measures. He would misplace tools and buy more which I thought was funny. Now I'm doing the very same thing.
I have Craftsman too. I have a big Craftsman shop vac that I bought in 1988. Still works great. Used to detail tractor trailers when I was in high school, and that was the first thing I bought. Only snapon stuff I have is what I inherited from my father.
I'm getting a boatload of tape measures as well. The surveyors at work will grab one from the shop that has metric and standard. They prefer the metric only, so they leave it with me. I always end up with them home at the end of the year.
I hate the damn SAE and metric tape measures. They suck when you have to measure on the other side of the tape.
S A E Rules !! We still have to buy 2"X 4" s .You cant go to Home depot and get a 50X 100 m stud.
Hey now!!!! don't give em' any ideas!!!! it'd just be an excuse to shrink the boards some more..
I handed my gr.son a folding engineers rule the other day. he had no idea what to do with it
Too late for us in aus. If you want timber its metric your 2x4 turns into 45x90 here
All of our survey here is metric. I'm in the middle, and think in my head that C 0.01 is a cut of 4 inches. This past week however, I have been teaching my 9 year old the difference between mm, cm and m, and when to use each. My step son refers to his height in cm. Metric is easier for doing calculations. No messing with fractions, but I'll always be feet, inches, and Kilometers. Always C, not F. Pounds not kilos, but using mostly Metric Tonnes
I have a great deal to say on this matter. It would cause the ire of Digger, and have me banished to the HEF hinterlands for an unspecified period of time. However I will say this... interestingly I have noticed the caulking coming out of the seams of several of my close family members. I don't have several personalities that I tote around and offer to different people as I see fit. I have one, everybody gets the same one. I don't modify myself for family, clergy, professionals, coworkers or newcomers. It has become apparent during this time that my family, whom I thought shared most of the values and beliefs that make up my footlocker of personality... don't always. They now, are torn by fear and political influences . I don't love them any less and Christmas will still be Christmas. However I view them differently now. The family bond is skewed some and will never be exactly how it was. We (my other half and I) have learned in this stressful time that we pretty much need to stand by ourselves. Without a political viewpoint and revel in that strength. The family is ripped by fear and dissenting political opinions of both persuasions. We have one who is being stressed so bad by the quarantine that they have almost developed a splinter attitude. The matriarchs aren't going to play. Life goes on just the way it went before. Plus whatever I have to do to make sure that we stay healthy. We have seen the sunny side of 60. So if you see me in my M60 cruising down the highway, not to worry. We are just on our way to visit family. To my friends I will say this. During this time of quarantine, try to keep breathing. Breathing is important.
Can concur MD, see friends and family both that are lost to extremes one way or primarily another less desirable. Some friends of mine had a COW when saw VP Pence without a mask in the news at the Mayo. These types INSIST on a mask and went off on him as if no tomorrow. Mayo Clinic Hospital he was at had a Protocol, did not Have to allow him in if he would not honor it but they did, seems is NOT a requirement but a Recommendation there so all the angst was uncalled for. I was berated when noted same only found later the friends and family did figure it out where will not consider a apology or even a reconciliation to me or even note I had been correct without apologizing(makes no difference). Whatever, had friends other than them and if the family wants a disconnect so be it, been a less than social animal most all my days and not changing to fit a mood or moody people. As you still love the family, been there ALL my life so will not turn my back to them just not going to be as outgoing if/as they want distance due to alternate thoughts.
I have the tapes that have both systems. Inches on the bottom and MM on the top. Tracks and undercarriage are far easier to measure in millimeters and all the specs books give percentage worn specs from MM. As far as the quarantine goes, my mother is in a care facility and we have not been able to go see her in a month. That does not make me happy at all. I can understand it though because those facilities seem to have targets painted on them. I pulled the plug on employment with others about three years ago. I work sporadically as I can control the environments I go into and can say no if the situation doesn't provide the minimum amount of safety I require. I don't understand the self importance that seems to be the normal attitude in society today. I'm sure it is just a quest for power by a few but don't understand why so many poor people can't view the situations and make their own choices. I guess that probably should include those who are well off also. The noise makers spew a line of crap and so many just accept what is said in any kind of media without checking for any factual basis. I guess that's why con men can make such a good living. Each generation in the last hundred or so years has had to face some kind of test by disaster. My parents had WWII and Korea, my generation faced Vietnam and a few economic meltdowns. Now my kids generation gets to face a pandemic and the associated economic and political meltdown that goes with it. I hope I trained my kids well enough that my grandkids have something left to build on.
My own Grands had the Depression WWI and the Influenza Pandemic. Parents were really young in Depression era so knew that as normal. Not much was said but when spoken of was never pretty. Also had Cholera(Bad Water), poor hygiene skin disorders(bath once to twice a week or rinse offs) and teeth/gum issues as no true 'Brushing'. My grands bathed a few times a week which I thought was weird, joined the Military and was re-introduced to Spit bath or essentials washing on Bivouac. When NOT so busy as to get Stanky I do not always shower daily, maybe every other where if working fence or machines or carpentry will sometimes twice a day. When drove considerable and did not have time would sink wash then continue on. One nephew follows similar basis, also Ex Military. ONE note, Helmet water was Brush Teeth, Wash Face and Shave then Wash remainder, that was fun to watch as others did not follow the order!!
Having gone through the educational system during “the change” to metric we studied both. I can work in both systems and convert from one to the other in my head, although I do have certain preferences, psi for one. I can’t get my head around kPa and if someone talks bars I automatically multiply by 15 and from there on out work in psi.
I am the same Nige I work in both systems naturally. In some cases use two systems at once for instance a measurement would be like this. two feet plus a couple of mil I like flow in litres I like pressure in psi I temp in C
We pretty much use both. When we changed over there was so much bitchin about it the govt eventually gave up and pretty much said use what you want but officially we're metric. We price gas by the litre because it is a smaller number than by the gallon. Deli meat is by the 100 grams rather than the kilo but steak or a roast is by the pound rather than a kilo because $10 a lb looks a lot better than $24 a kilo. At our house inside temp is spoken in F. Outside is in C. Lumber is still 4x8 sheet of plywood and a 2x4 is still that (1.5x3.5). Real estate is still advertised in acres because it looks like more than in hectares. I don't think anybody much cares here any more. We just muddle along. d.d.
I've bounced back and forth between metric and inch so much since the 80's both are second nature. Used to lmao over Cat part prints......give a bastrad metric tap drill size for an inch tap. Ed
I swear i'm going to strangle this customer. I've been patient as the work came through my dad who did some concrete work for him last year and he built 8 units last year, so figure more work but i'm over it, 2 for 2 he is an absolute nightmare with jobs and expects me to come back because he is clueless. Wednesday afternoon he calls me his son moved into new house and sewer is backing up, they scoped it and a deck pile is through it. I look at it that afternoon and give him a price, at 9pm he responds saying go ahead. Originally I told him my mini could get in and I could do it Thursday when he told me there was 8' clearance (there was only 5'4") so I had to rent a machine. 10 am the next morning he's calling asking why i'm not there, said he responded at 9 last night and that was plenty of time to be there next day. Friday morning I get it dug out, helix of screw pile is right at sewer height I advise him the best solution is remove the pile to keep the sewer straight and figure out a new pile and offset the cap. He says no he wasn't want to install a new pile so he has his guy come out and says it's fine reroute the sewer around it. So I do, one 45 fitting each side then a 90 to join, no other way to do it in such a tight area. He asks if it's ok, I say it's not ideal but unless you remove the pile or dig up the entire backyard it's the best solution and as long as there is lots of slope on the sewer it should be fine as long as people in the house use common sense with what goes down the sewer. Run water to make sure it flows fine, backfill everything's good. Until tonight he texts me "it's not properly done" between friday afternoon and tonight the city scoped it or at least he said that and said "toilet papers and stuff stuck at connection" however everything is flowing properly. So he tells me he wants me to come back and "fix it properly". I'm between responding a few words calling him an idiot, or telling him sure it'll be another $1,400 to dig it out again and fix it how he wants to do it this time. I'd like to know how he expects me to route a sewer through a 12" piece of steel that is going to move around because the entire pile is dug out. Or why it's my fault that he didn't want a proper fix. I didn't do any of the original work, just in to clean up everyone elses mess. Hard to tell in the small area I dug up but I don't think the pipe has much slope. The only bad part is he still owes me $4k from a demo a month ago because I was nice enough to agree to come back and grade the site out again once the frost was gone, even though it wasn't part of the demo I figured I would play nice. I understand why so many people don't give an inch and it's because of customers like this, and that is the way I am going to operate from now on. Anytime I do something nice for a customer it bites me in the *** and i'm tired of it. I have a few customers who are great and I will continue to do so, but anyone new, nope not unless I do plenty of work and they turn out to be sensible.
Did you ever have written contracts with him? I'd say you need the 4K owed before you do any more work for him. After that say you can't fix his sewer problem the way he wants.
The demo yes, the sewer repair no, just a text confirmation from my quote to go ahead. He is of the opinion with the demo I will do whatever he expects and it's included. The issue I had with it was he didn't say a word until I moved the hoe out, then asked for it, yet he was around 95% of the time I was doing the demo. Also no talk of paying extra for my waiting time when the city shut me down because he refused to properly fence the site (I clearly state in my contract site must be properly fenced prior to delivering hoe), then the next day when i'm told fencing will be up it's not so waiting around again, then he's too cheap to fence entire site and skimps out and i'm screwing around moving fencing trying to clean up the site. Was the site perfect? No. But it's cleaner then 90% of demos I see around here and perfectly acceptable, and the city passed the demo inspection. I would have got it a bit better but the night before some prick pried open a bunch of compartment doors on my hoe and I wasn't leaving my machine there another night. It's not a lot, probably 2 hours with my mini. Which is why I figured i'd suck it up and do it and hopefully the next job with him wouldn't be a pain. Since I said I was going to do it i'm going to get it done this week once it's dries up, then get that money or try to, but the sewer i'm holding firm on. He was there when I exposed it and I told him his options clearly.
I'd charge for all the waiting time. Ask to get paid for all previous work and in this case ask for money up front or you won't do the job. Customers like that aren't worth having. They're just more trouble.
Pictures and a paper trail. Word of mouth is worthless these days. Very few deals can be made on a handshake anymore. Anything over a thousand dollars needs a signed contract.
Years ago, before I was in the business. If you got your driveway paved, they went in with the grader, and rolled all the grass and topsoil off to the sides, spread some gravel, and paved. Home owner was the one that cleaned up the mess. Years later they started cleaning up, and adding it into the price. We go in and paint out what we have on our plan. We always go a foot wider than what they pave so there is a six inch shoulder on each side. Mostly so the shoe on the spreader is not in the grass, but people don't like that explaination, so I tell them it to keep the edges of the pave from breaking. we used to cut the grass with sod cutters, but a cut off saw is a lot faster. Finished product has a gap on both sides. The customer is responsible to do whatever they want on both sides, but there have been a few that have refused to pay, until this is fixed, even though it was explained in the beginning. It has since been put in writing. We actually repossessed a driveway once. The guy had it paved, and refused to pay. No issues, just wasn't going to pay. After 5 years, which is pretty generous, the 320 cat went in, and when buddy got home from work, he had no more pave. We were still out the money, but he no longer had a paved driveway.
I too have multiple of the same tools. Yet sometimes I still fail to locate a tape measure when I need one. I think my biggest problem is I find one tool or item I prefer and use it regularly. When I misplace the one I normally use I spend lots of time trying to locate it. The fear/annoyance of not being able to locate the preferred tool can consume me; the oh no i lost it feeling. I have a dual dimension tape measure and it has its place. I purchased it specifically to use at one of my old jobs. We would often work on metric and standard inch parts. It is rather difficult to read the tape measure from the other side. Frequently I had to reverse the tape measure to easily read the dimensions from the correct side. The best approach would be two separate units, but I didn't want to carry two. I dislike the tapes that have the fraction displayed on them. It confuses me.
I get annoyed by standard an metric fasteners, especially on the same vehicle. My F150 has both
Metric or standard, I don't care. Its just a measurement system. They can use fractional furlongs for all I care. I carry a calculator that can switch from one to another easily. I just want a common hardware system. The metric based systems fail badly. There is the European metric, ISO. The German's have their own, DIN. And then the Japanese have their own, JIS. Take a simple 10mm hex head screw. The Japanese will require a 15mm open end wrench, the Europeans a 16mm, and the Germans a 17mm. Then the Chinese use system was used in the original product they copied. Then we get to the corporate low price whores like Deere. They will use all 3 metric systems on the same piece of equipment, and then add some metric components of their own design because they are used to inch based common hardware that isn't available in metric.
Hopefully you pulled the crushed base out too
No he got the 3/4 minus plus 10 loads of sand stone. We lost money all around, but he lost his pave, and had the neighborhood talking about him. Funny thing, one of his neighbors got her driveway done the following summer, and said " Don't worry, I'll pay right away."
I know he won't pay for it, the only way i'd collect for it would be liening the property and going that way. Yea I always take pictures before/after jobs so I have proof I did them and what I did. For small things I do sometimes rely on texts, which is nice to have stuff in some form of writing at least. Yea I need to get that way for any new customers, I have a few who I still trust but still think it would be better. I had asked a lawyer about a real bulletproof contract, problem is no one is going to sign a 3 page contract for a basement excavation. I think it needs to be half a page and in regular people wording easy for anyone to understand, not lawyer talk and then it would be fine.
Look in the archives on here. I think some simple contracts were discussed.
That's a awesome way to do it. I think i'm too cheap for that though, i'd go the legal route of liening and suing to collect. Or maybe a few times a concrete block ends up on the driveway blocking access..... Years ago when I did concrete with my dad there was the odd person who would complain about their lawn beside the driveway, depending how it worked out 1-2" of gap from the lawn to the driveway and they'd refused to pay until it was filled in. Just stupid.
Loads of stumps/demo/etc... also works great or at least you get some sort of satisfaction out of it... although I really wouldn't know anyone that has done that.....
If you tried that here you could get charged with theft or vandalism. If the work was done through the county could likely add it to the taxes or put a lien on the property. My mom had a couple of room mates in her apt. When she went on holidays the other renters changed the locks and denied her access to her own apartment. My mom went to the police and they said they couldn't help her get her stuff back because she wasn't the owner. I was shocked by that and went and asked at another police station. They were surprised too and said the other renters couldn't keep my moms property but could sue her if they thought she owed them money. A couple weeks later they gave her a few boxes of stuff but kept all her furniture. As much as you'd like to undue a job for non payment you can't. You have to go through legal channels and sue for the money owed or you could be charged.
The company was started by a fella in 1945, he gave it to his son, and he gave it to his three sons. One brother sold out and the two remain. The oldest is the brains and the backbone of the company. In 22 years he has only raised his voice to me three times. It's always fleeting, and he calms down quickly. Most of the men here would do anything for him. He has a daughter, and she is a lawyer in Montreal. He is the one that allowed the guy to go for 5 years, and when they happened to meet, he offered him a payment option. Buddy basicly told him to get lost, he wasn't getting a cent. The last straw. The other brother... I have quit on him at least ten times. Needs to find someone to blame for anything, looks for conflict, impossible to work for. Couldn't organise a gum chewing party. Two boys, and one girl, and the future of the company is falling pretty hard on their shoulders. Tried to talk his big brother out of doing the repo. Got my crew and I to go in after the repo, and give it quick grade before buddy got home. Was also worried about getting sued. Nothing ever came from it.
When people don't pay their bills for work that was done and use some legal BS to convince themselves and...others that they are right and don't need to pay bills that THEY owe - it's outright theft!!! And one thing I hate more than about anything is thieves.
If the quotation/tender for the work clearly stated "all supplied materials remain the property of the contractor until payment for the work has been made by the customer" (or words to that effect) I would argue the customer who refused to pay doesn't have a leg to stand on. All the contractor would be doing under those circumstances would be removing his own property. How can someone steal something that they already own.?
I had a guy years ago in Marina that we drove piles for,he asked for some extras over the quote then refused to pay. I talked to the lawyer i knew at the time and realized legal remedies were futile. I then threatened to pile the piles and he laughed at me so i fired up the tug and hooked on to the first 4 pile dolphin and jerked it out then went to the next and got it. His eyes were wide by that time as i threatened to demo the rest of the marina. He wrote the check for the quote and i got the extra piles back and a huge feeling of satisfaction. his next expansion cost him double with the other pile drivers and we all laughed.
It would be nice if it worked that way but I think in the eyes of the court you would have to sue for payment. If it was an item maybe the item could be returned the same like a vehicle gets repossessed. The other option would be to put a lien on the property. Would make it impossible to sell until the lien was paid. I actually went through this. I took a flail mower to cut some 3' high grass in a former outdoor horse riding ring. Job took about 3 1/2 hours. The lady at the house said she had to go into town but would be back in a couple hours. I waited over an hour after I finished the job and she never showed up. I left a bill inside the screen door. I tried several times to call her over the next couple of days and no answer or return of my calls. The bad thing for her was she was cleaning the property up to sell it and there was a realtors sign on the front lawn. I drove back out, got the realtors number and in a couple hours got a call from the owner with a bunch of lame excuses but the cheque was is in the mail. The realtor was pretty understanding and I'm sure knew I could hold up the sale and it wasn't some run of the mill house. I'd guess it was at least a $750,000 log home on 40 acres. Had it not been for sale I thought an accidental spill of Roundup on the lawn might be appropriate. I think she got the property in a divorce and couldn't keep up with the payments.
Still NO excuse for her to stiff you for the work!!! any decent human being should have been up front about it... or at least answer your calls and try to make some arrangements to pay after the sale... there are plenty of ways she could have dealt with it honestly and not be a lowlife.
A lien only takes some time and aggravation. I've dropped a couple of them on developers and locked them out of any sales until I removed them. Once they get notice, they usually pay pretty quick. The trouble spots are the ones who aren't going to go anywhere for some time. I like the verbiage from Nige though. Like the lien it takes some aggravation but the satisfaction of killing a machine or ripping out a driveway would be worth it. And it sends a message to everybody else that you are pretty crazy when you don't get paid.
It would be nice if you could remove work done but I think it would be like going after someone who you caught stealing on your property. They'd have more rights than you do.
I was shocked she tried to skip out on me. It was only about a $200 job if I recall. I wish I could have charged an extra hour for having to drive back out and get the realtors number but was happy to get paid.
In UK that sort of wording is pretty standard on quotations for “home improvement“ work, maybe for other types of work as well, and for exactly the reasons we’re discussing here. The materials used to carry out the work remain the property of the contractor and as such he has every right in law to remove them if payment has not been forthcoming from the customer - whether they have been “assembled” or not.
Theres some people out there that seem to have no problem stiffing you.The marina owner i dealt with had judgments against him that he still wouldnt pay,but he still seemed to continue on as normal. Must be a missing part in the consience section of the brain.
I quit using small claims court because of that. You can win there pretty easy with a signed contract. Now you have to collect and if the deadbeat don't want to pay, how do you get the judgement done? Short of some physical altercation you will have to go back to court, this time with a lawyer to get a judge to garnish wages or forfeit property. I like the sound of denying use of the subject property. One other thought though, since I no longer pay to provide someone else's parts, I don't have an anchor I can pull in.
What if it was something like a concrete foundation that wasn't paid for? I don't think you'd be able to go take the concrete back. The judges can be stupid too and believe all kinds of lies that the deadbeats bring up. I remember reading about a contractor that wasn't paid for work he did on an acreage. Repeated attempts for payment failed so he dumped a fresh tandem load of wet manure on the driveway in front of the garage. The deadbeat couldn't get out of his garage till he cleaned it up and didn't have a loader or anything to pick it up.
From my understanding at least in Alberta here once any material is put on site you are not allowed to take it back for non payment regardless of what your contract says. The only exception is for equipment, tools, etc that are left/rented. What the law says and what people do is a different story. If someone has a legitimate dispute for not paying it's one thing. But outright refuse to pay and try and rip me off? If they bend the rules so will I.
It is a shame no one has any integrity these days. Everyone thinks they are owed something for nothing and everyone gets a trophy mentality. Pay your debts and honor your word. 'Mean what you say and do what you mean.' I still believe in the handshake agreement.
It is sad. I am currently dealing with one prick who has owed me money for 18 months. Subbed me a job, got paid from the owner and ran. Found out in my digging he's made a career of it, know of 2 other people at the very least he owes money to. I finally tracked him down. He has a very common name and is good at being a crook so it was extremely difficult to find anything. He was owed $140k from a company going under and I garnished what i'm owed, still haven't got it but expecting it in december. Talking to the other 2 guys all 3 of us were very close to finding him and giving him what he deserves, but we knew it was much smarter to just get our money and not take any chances. But I will say this, I hope someone teaches him a lesson one day, I will be so happy. I texted him about the garnish yesterday even, still lying his *** off trying to deny it and figure a way out.
Any of you Alberta guys probably heard of Atcon, They were from where I live in New Brunswick. They were terrible for not paying, and they were a multi million dollar company. In the end, they were into the province for 50 million. A lot of little guys lost their shirt to this man. A year later his " Daughter" opened a new company called Greenfield.
Non-payment is one of my fears about going independent. I don't know if a guy could just say right off the bat I want $XXX.XX up front before I touch your machine/truck. Or charge for parts and a couple hours labour up front? My 11+ years of skill and experience are worth something.
When I went in, I had the first 90 days of operating expense plus my wages stashed in a bank account. There is a lot of accounts that pay in 90. I was lucky I had about a 1/3 that paid in 30, another 1/3 that paid in 60 and the balance of them were 90 day money. After I got it knitted together after the first 3months it was OK. I had to pay attention though with those types of customers That I didn't stay ruin my cash flow. In the long run however. I only failed to collect 610 dollars.
In the area I initially wanted to set up in I know most of the folks who are shifty. Problem is after a little digging I found there are 2, possibly 3 other independents working in the area. There's only about 6,000 folks around here. If there was no one else in the area it'd be a decent gig. But having to fight with 2 or 3 others for market share I don't think its worth it lol.
Recently I got setup to accept credit cards. I have my lap top and billing program with me when I go out and new customers pay with the card before I leave. Seems to work perfect so far. Most of my stuff is less than $5,000 though so it might be a little tougher for companies working high dollar stuff.
I think you can set up your own payment terms to suit your business. If a customer has 90 day terms and you don't like it you can say no it won't work for me. I've seen a lot of invoices that say interest charged at 2% per month. If you get bonded you can take money up front. I think it also depends on the amount of the invoice. No reason a $1000 or less job can't be paid at the completion of the job.
I think a lot of people would have an issue with that, not that I blame you for wanting that. If your average job cost would be like $1000 I personally would set up credit card and at the least just get a credit card number up front. You can put a mechanics lien on it, but not being able to hold the vehicle makes it a lot more difficult. In my experience virtually all pay eventually, just some very very slow. I just got paid yesterday from a job in early december. Most of my collecting issues is people complaining about a cost and holding back the last $500-$2000. Unless you can make a ton more money I wouldn't do it. There is so many hassles between people wanting quotes, advertising, taxes, chasing people for money, etc that adds up to a ton more hours in a year. I would say to even consider it after all your expenses if you can't go on your own billing 20 hours a week and making the same as 40 hours working for someone else it's not worth it.
You always should have some terms / payment method listed on your quotes and invoices. It lets the customer know in advance what to expect. Most won't read it, but if you have a problem tell them to reference the payment terms on the original quote/invoice. Makes everything super clear and obvious. I am lucky enough to have a lawyer in the family. I help with her mechanical problems and she helps me out on the legal end of things. I don't run my own full time business, but I have had to play the 'let me consult my attorney, and by the way she is my sister' card a few times. The majority of the time simply mentioning you retain a legal service that cost nill usually gets people's attention. Luckily this has only come to a head on a few occasions ( dealing with dirt balls). If your business encounters issues like this frequently maybe it would be worthwhile to have a legal service available. Maybe a local guy could charge you a flat rate to deal with situations whenever they occur? Your personal time is way too important and valuable to spend it chasing losers around.
Never had a problem getting paid, once in a while I had to wait until the milk check came.....maybe being the undertakers kid carried some weight. Ed
My quotes and invoices say payment due upon completion. Most people don't read it your right, or don't care and think they can dictate payment terms. A few generals have payment terms which I agree to. Like the December job its bill 25th of the month get paid end of next month, but they were still 3 months late on their own terms. Shockingly their own contract says interest for late payment, about 6% but I won't hold my breath expecting that to happen. The most common thing I get about delayed payment is waiting for a draw on the build. But in many cases when I do residential digs I don't even invoice until it's back filled, so on a $5000 job, around $4000 of it was done for 2-4 weeks before I even invoice which many don't understand. 30 days doesn't really bother me, but when it's getting 60+ I don't like it.
We require half the money when we start to do the prep on your driveway, and the full amount once it's paved. That gives most home owners a couple weeks to have the rest of the payment ready
After the long cold winter, just got word that the spring weight restrictions will be lifted Sunday night, and I will be back in the saddle on Monday. Lots of new regulations for social distancing. Aparently I have to sanitize my machine before I go home at the end of the day in case the floatman has to move it. Going to have to change teaching my daughter's grade three stuff to evenings. The dog must know too, as she has been moping around all morning.
That would be nice! I'm looking into being bonded and for any demolitions for new customers unless they are recommend by another customer i'm thinking at least 50% deposit up front. Too much money out and taking the risk of getting paid. Finally got paid for 5 month old invoice from customer, and the next day they were pissed I wasn't back working. Funny how the money came quick once I told them no more work until they find some money. They forgot they still got a 3 month old invoice. Started back today and they still weren't happy. Maybe they will be happy all future quotes for them will be my normal rate +20%. 10% for the holdback that takes a year to get, and 10% for interest because it takes on average 4 months to get paid. Or they can find someone else, i'm not a financing company.
Can you put in the quotes 10 percent interest charged per 1000 if not paid in full at 30 days?
Even if recommended from other customers keep the payment contract the same. No special privilege's for anyone. You don't get special privilege's when you have to buy fuel and other supplies.
Cleaning n painting parts still.. "Got Degreaser?"
I don't know the laws in WA John but here is how it works in AL. Say I do a $25,000 job on a small office/warehouse building for the owner and she doesn't pay. The first thing I have to do is send a Notice of Intent to Lien. This is basically an arbitration scenario required by the State that usually works in getting paid. I've had to send 2 in the last two years. Big Corp Retail will make a general contractors head roll when a NIL is delivered to their home office - speaking from experience. Now in my example, say the owner I did the work for throws the NIL in the trash and doesn't respond. After the waiting period I have my lawyer file the lien and then immediately file a lawsuit to perfect the lien, filing a Lis Pendens in conjunction. The Lis Pendens locks the property down from being sold, transferred, etc. In addition no bank will loan money as the title is not clear until the Lis Pendens is removed. It's a very power tool in getting paid not many know about. This would cost me around $1,000 to $1500 at this point. I've never had to go this far yet and I hope I never have to.
They wouldn't accept it, they'd rather overpay. Their contract is 45 days after invoice date 2% + their banks prime rate which is 2.85% but they have no intention of honoring that even. For everyone else i'm going to be putting 2% per month for anything past 30 days though. I've just had it with them once i'm done this basement i'm not interested in doing anymore work for them regardless of the rate, unless they pull their head out of their ***, which I don't see happening. The way they are building the units is going to have so many issues it's not even funny, and i'd rather get out before the lawsuits start piling up.
Things are fairly similar here and unfortunately i've had to do the lis pendens thing a few times. It works well in some cases, but not all. The times it doesn't work is when the contractor is the owner of the property and has no financing, in those cases they have no desire to do anything until they are done and ready to sell. The other thing they can do is pay the lien amount plus 10% into court and get the lien and lis pendens removed, depending on the lawyer that costs around $1000-$1500. After dealing with a few deadbeats who refused to pay i've got really well versed in the legal process unfortunately.
My father, then me have been in business near 60 years. 99% of customers will take at least 30 days regardless what I put on the bill. Most do pay soon after that. The few I'm forced to actively collect, a workman's lien has usually worked. Still, I've had a few I never did collect. Most recently, a high roller owned a property I believe valued about $2,000,000. The job wasn't quite finished when cash flow dried up. I filed a lien, hired a lawyer, went through the expensive process of preparing a suit, had a court date. The homeowner's lawyer must have had some real clout. She got it assigned to a judge of her choice who had to travel 100 miles one way. Said local judges would be prejudicial in favor of my lawyer. My lawyer advised me to settle. Said the deck was stacked. I ended up with half what I was owed.
Yep.... that's why whenever people start talking up a guy with money as a 'great person to work for'.... I always chime in with a "well you don't think they got all their money by giving it to other people do ya'? "
Yep it can be a trap. I know a guy who closed his landscaping business from 1 bad job. Did like 150k in landscaping he got a bit of the money but the guy saw him coming and basically said i'm not paying you, sue me. He complained about the garage slab but before ever giving the guy a chance to look at it he got a really fancy epoxy coating on it that nearly cost as much as the pad and expected it to be taken off the bill. So he sued him, went through the whole process of about 2 years and only got a fraction of what he was owed. He had no real complaints he just didn't want to pay he offered like 25% originally but couldn't back up the number with actual issues with the work. People like that need bill collectors who show up at your door and don't take no for an answer.
"Bring on the lacquer thinner"
The Red Barn, located just down the road in Palm Desert has been there since air. It's obvious that the owners are ready and wanting to open regardless of Calvin Grewsoms rules. It is not surprising that even though they have not been open in over 2 months, the Red Barn's liquor license was suddenly pulled. For what? They didn't serve to a minor. Could it have been because they referred to our "Governor" as a slang term for penis? You decide.
Here in Maine if you come from out of state you are required to quarantine for 14 days before being in contact with anyone else. Last weekend I met some fishermen from Massachusetts who owned a second home up here and had just come up for the weekend and were headed home and today we were traveling home from our camp up north and lost count of the out of state plates we saw on the interstate. You can’t tell me they all quarantined for 2 weeks just to enjoy the memorial weekend. In the last week I’ve seen herds of people everywhere who were not social distancing and traffic seems to be picking up. I think people are over it. We’ve had relatively low numbers and people are sick of staying home and need to go to work and live a somewhat normal life.
Now you understand the idea of a second wave. In two weeks we should have an idea of how deep and how much change in the past life styles the world's populations are going to face. My bet is that it is going to change, but no one knows yet just how much.
Well I look at this long weekend as a large scale science experiment. At least in some parts of the country. If there is a major uptick in cases in the next week or two it will show that those in favor of the social distancing had a point. If the trend stays pretty much the same as in the last few weeks then I guess we have killed off the majority of the weak and vulnerable so the strong can go back to normal!
I wonder how long it takes to show any symptoms? Some could have it and not show any symptoms but others will show symptoms. I don't know if it takes 2 weeks or 2 month's but I think if there is a spike in new cases within say a month, then the experts recommending social distancing were correct.
All the particular quarantines that have gone on on a more or less individual basis (like people arriving in the country, or sailors getting set to go somewhere like a submarine, etc.) seem to have been "14 days." Seems like they figure if you catch it, it'll show up in a couple of weeks, (or not).
Have heard three to five days if you are going to be symptomatic. After two weeks they figure you don’t have it.
Stuff is picking up here too, places are busy and tons of traffic again. It makes sense, there is so few cases here. Find out in the next week here if some of the opening up causes a spike in cases, I really doubt it with all the pre-cautions that are being taken. One big change i've made is buying so much more on amazon. If it was the same price as in store i'd always just go grab it, now i'm ordering it instead. It's pretty convenient and after this crap is over I don't know if I will change back.
I'm starting to think along the same lines. I've got better things to do than line up halfway around the block to get into a friggen store.
The rules they have for opening are too all over the place. A lot of golf courses are private so who's going to complain when they're not following the rules? Know a guy that works at a private course and says they are riding 2 in a golf cart when it's supposed to be only 1 and not practicing social distancing on the greens or tee's. He said the course is packed. Yet if a motorsports facility wants to open for practice with limited numbers and no spectators it's considered racing entertainment and not allowed. A comedy club was ordered to close because even at only 25% percent capacity they figured laughing could spread the virus. Nobody ever laughs or does anything inappropriate in a bar or restaurant? It's ridiculous in that regard.
I’ve always gotten a lot online as I have at least a 1/2 hour ride to get to any major big box store, auto parts or equipment dealer. That is a lot of wasted time and money for fuel etc. I really increased what I bought online during this whole mess and have no intention of going back. It is fast enough, easy and likely cheaper with free shipping. Plus no lines and no idiots to deal with. Ordered Wallymart on Saturday night, standard free shipping, was here Monday at noon. Good thing, I was running low on coffee.
Same here.....use mainly Amazon alot for basic household supplies and repair parts. Got tired of driving to the store in an hour long round trip just to find out something wasn’t in stock. Much easier and cheaper
And then you get our dumbass poluticians that even banned online shopping. Must say the only thing I won't buy online is red meat.
The regulations are set by countries, counties and states. Here we have phased openings dependent on criteria. Number of current cases is an area, rate of rise in the number of cases, number of deaths, population in an area and other criteria are what is being used to decide commerce and numbers of people in any one place at any one time. The other thought I have is one of enforcement. Washington State was locked down on March 23 but enforcement has only been on those that felt they should thumb their nose at even the suggestion of any kind of restrictions and then go on television interviews for the glory of showing people how smart they are. The truth was that many if not most people just quietly did what they needed or wanted to do and no one really cared. In effect, the quarantine was mostly voluntary!
What I find hilarious is BC residents DO NOT want Albertans in their province. Yet, the fools are over here in Alberta, looking for work.
My car mechanic is across from a public park and he was pointing out that the people that hang out there, have no respect for authority, imbibe in chemical recreation, etc. have made zero changes to their behavior through all these months. And these are not just shuffling bums, they have cars (loud ones) and jobs (some of them) and get around to places and do things. I don't think they are being counted or even considered in any statistics or studies, they would not want to participate and those from the ivory tower segment don't know how nor want to interact with them.
Yes they are fools and we don"t want them back either bringing more plague with them. Look at the numbers. As of yesterday. Alberta pop.4,468,130 cases 6879. BC pop.5,110.819 cases 2580. Yes we have had about 23 more deaths in BC but we probably have a lot more old people retired here. Please stay on your side of the mountains and keep our fools there too.
Sounds good!
The die hard “jUsT sTay aT hOmE” people are actively hoping for a huge wave of deaths from the lifting lockdowns. I’ve seen plenty of posts of “I hope everyone that is out and enjoying themselves dies from the virus”
Misery loves company. I was socially distant long before this lol. Funny thing is, the level of cleanliness at grocery stores and other businesses is now at a level that it should always have been at IMO. What really disgusts me is the shortage of soap and sanitizer in stores. Goes to prove people were pigs that never practiced proper hygiene prior to this.
But they aren’t actually using it......just buying and hoarding it like toilet paper
Honestly doesn't suprise me if that's true. I haven't changed my hygiene one bit. Still shower every day, wash my hands after visiting the can, before eating, after being in public etc. Its sad that this is just basic stuff we all should know by 5 years old.
'One simply does not hoard toilet paper just wipe one's own bottom !? Maybe they are wiping several bottom's ? Thus logically making the toilet paper hoarder(s) a real butt wipe!' Insert vulgarities as required. It sure is difficult to make a clean joke when using toilet paper as the basis. Hahaha Ok, I will stop with my Dad humor. I was entertained when I saw the DMV line wrapped around the parking lot this morning. It looked like a line at an amusement park. Which reminds me I need to do my renewal via the mail order this year. I am not afraid of the DMV, I just don't have that kind of time or patience.
I think one of the downfalls of Amazon shopping will be hurting the local businesses. Although I think if it's a big chain it's likely not much different then buying Amazon considering you're still supporting the people at the warehouse and delivering it. It was good timing to finally get a camera for my front door, Amazon has been to my house 6 different times this week already I don't know why they don't just package the deliveries together, oh well. Not sure how they are making money delivering a $15 item with free shipping though.
That's total cases, not active cases with mean nothing. People of B.C should be careful with their words, they rely on the other provinces, mainly Alberta coming for tourism dollars. B.C cannot survive without tourism. Never mind all the people from B.C getting their employment in Alberta. But how B.C has a project going that they are only employing B.C residents..... B.C needs to wake up fast that they better pull their head out of their *** and support Alberta, or they will be in for a world of hurt. The current government thinks the province will survive on hopes and wishes not real money. As for right now i'm doing anything and everything I can to keep my money out of B.C, Ontario, and Quebec. I consider supporting them on the same level as the USA or another country. I know I won't be visiting B.C anytime soon either.
In california, this is how we roll. I'm embarrassed to even admit that I live in this god forsaken state. Protesters along with other c__k s__k__s are allowed to run this state. The CHP allows these poor entitled potential voters to "play" on the freeway? Wow... a few carefully placed rounds with a long rifle would disburse this croud. Police brutality? Thats what happens when you play on a freeway! I hope it hurt!
I don’t know why people stop for that crap. If someone is on the road they will move eventually when a vehicle comes. I guess you can’t expect much in commiefornia though.
Promise?
Yep. I'll wait until B.C is broke and begging for tourists. I'll be sure to tell anyone from B.C I encounter in Alberta (including those who work here) to go back to B.C to return the favor. You have a real arrogant attitude if you think B.C can survive without outsiders.
I suggest BC review section 6 of The Charter of Rights and Freedoms. We have the right to travel and work wherever we please within this country.
Of course BC need tourism, who said it didn’t ? I’m really sorry COVID 19 inconvenienced your summer camping plans in BC. Speaking of broke provinces how about if you guys ever forgive us for this terrible treason of keeping people safe you take some notes on tourism as your going to need a lot more of it sooner than later. With billions of oil royalties gone and nothing to show for it, look in the mirror instead of lashing out and calling down the rest of Canada for your own problems.
I was reading this morning that all this BS could possibly put 256 million people at risk of starvation due to disruption to food supply chains. People are too narrow minded to see the big picture.
Except for Quebec
I can pretty much tell when there's American politics being discussed, but I'm not really familiar with Canada's internal goings on. There's no breaking of HEF's 'No Politics' rule happening here, is there?
Canadian Fight! Canadian Fight!..I love hockey, so I know this is gonna be good!
No summer plans to visit B.C before this virus hit. As soon as they objected to the pipeline my dollars voted to go elsewhere. Oil gone? Demand for oil isn't going anywhere, it's just a matter of who supplies it. The only problem Alberta has is that it is being blocked on every corner trying to produce anything meanwhile on both coasts of Canada they'd rather import oil from places like saudi arabia. B.C would rather import jet fuel from non-ethical countries and those tankers are fine coming into their ports, but a pipeline or oil tankers? No that's bad!
On the bright side of all this going on, travel is going to be cheap once it's back. Fingers crossed enough places in Europe lift restrictions for the winter. Places are going to be begging for tourists so stuff will be cheap, and there's probably a lot of people terrified to travel so things shouldn't be too busy. I need a vacation so win-win!
I curbed a lot of my spending in BC due to the anti-Alberta attitude there. Some summers I was spending 5 figures there.
I kinda prefer Cat Fights!! Woman on Woman!! Canuckistanians not so much
Funny thing is, everyone is so bent outta shape over folks travelling inter-provincially but nobody says a thing about all the folks flying in from out of the country.
what does it take to thoroughly **** one off
Hey, the Canucks wouldn’t let me in to look at boom boat.
Take away our Tim's and our hockey.
ahhh good ole tim horton
It’s all good. If this was hockey, this is just the chirping as you skate by. Gloves haven’t even come off yet lol
Nope nothing to see here. Just checking in on how life is east of the Rockies. PS If you have any left over panels from your Mexican wall let us know as we might need a few between AB and B.C.
I don't know if I would call it political, as much as you stay in your yard, I'll stay in mine.
Vive le Québec libre?
Just a little family squabble. Nothing to get excited about. Let it play out/ d.d.
Tim's? Gladly take that crap away. I don't know why they are so busy, their food is awful.
While not a fan of BC's premier because he doesn't support the Trans-mountain pipeline from Alberta but BC pipelines are fine, I have to somewhat agree with his logic that if people can't even visit sick relatives in the hospital how the $#@! can you have the NHL back playing? Canadian football is looking for gov't. assistance too. Actually all the Cad. political parties were applying for and getting emergency funds re/ CV19 because the document wasn't properly thought out. I gained some respect for a few members of parliament that said political parties should not qualify for emergency funding. McDonalds actually has the coffee that Tim Hortons used to sell which would explain why it's very popular. Tim Hortons found a cheaper supplier but are losing sales to McDonalds so it might not have been the best business decision. McDonalds wasn't even on the radar for coffee several years ago.
Here is how it spreads. New Brunswick borders on the province of Quebec. They have the highest infection rate in the country. New Brunswick has had one of the lowest infection rates. A health care professional went to Quebec to visit family or whatever, and did not self isolate for the 14 days,but went back to work. Suddenly he, and people he has been in contact with are infected. As a Doctor, how many people has he seen, and who have they seen?
Not everyone makes it as obvious as I, do they.
Lol ! No, you make things easy in that respect.
About Minnesota.... I'll bet Governor Ventura would have handled these disrespectful, ungrateful slimy little rioters/protesters an entirely different way. Instead, todays squeezably soft governors almost seem to welcome/accept the fact that there will be more "peaceful protests " happening. Really? Way to encourage the riots by not discouraging the behavior of these peaceful protesters . Grow a set and stop this.
In Alaska last time I checked, 40 some odd years back, it was 10.5% interest compounded dally. Course you could be talking apples and I could be talking out my prostate now days.
Thankx
Gotta quit posting in French !! I have to Google the translation. I did learn little about Charles de Gaulle tho.
crazy weather here temperature wise. Friday and Saturday was 97, and this morning was 41. Should be around 60 this time of year. Black flies and mosquitos are crazy bad.
Skeeters are out in full force here too. Called the lawn care company today, they'll be in to spray for them on thursday. Ed
I never tried having a professional spray for them, but contemplated a fogging machine once......Luckily I no longer live at the address with the skeeter problem. I had to buy a mesh screened hat / neck gator just to make it to the truck without getting nailed by five different skeeters. Let us know how it works.
Makes sense. Any time tim hortons gets something decent on their menu it's gone in no time. I can deal with their lunch once in awhile it's ok, but I have to choke down their horrible excuse for breakfast if I have no other options. And god forbid they could get my order right, I would guess it's about 20%. Mcdonalds on the other hand has good breakfast and virtually always gets my order right. I don't get why so many hate on Mcdonalds, it's good. By far the most consistent place for pop too I find.
We've used him before, they use backpack leaf blowers with a chemical tank to apply. The mix has 2 things, the posion and an exciter that makes the skeeters fly up into the spray fog. In dry weather the treatment lasts 4-5 weeks. I built a pavillion in the back of the house, worth the money to spray as we use it daily. Ed
Yard got sprayed bright & early this am.....zero skeeters. Kids played outside and swam in the pool all day, the 1 yo wandered around nekkid exploring..lol. Ed
I'd try that too but wife tends to get upset when I do it!
Can't...............get...............image..................out.....................of......................my.....................head....................
Don't come out here to Miles City on Moon Creek road, you might take a turn off the wrong road and explore a little bit and see a little bit swinging in the wind in the warm days also the wife approves and joining in on it We are just quarantining freely is all Ever put a fence a barbed wire fence up naked, better pick the barbless wire for this occasion. And they wondered why I wanted to buy the property close to me to keep people out I know the days and times my neighbors come and go, also can hear and identify them by the noise their vehicles make. For the uncertain day of the week keep pair of shorts in reach next to the rifle if not near the camper I just put clothes on for the picture
Just don't forget, or you might find yourself in trouble with the moderators. Oh, and no, I never have put up a barb wire fence naked, and can't imagine a scenario where I ever would....
That would be like frying up some bacon or sausage while being neked. Bad idea. Real bad idea. Don't ask me how I know
Gee, thanks Pete. Another mental picture I didn't really need.
We are all demented and if you aren't just spend enough time in here you will be. No amount of mental therapy will help here
Spud Monkey would you be in Mt? My dad was living in East Helena when he passed. There used to be a nice tavern there where you get off the highway by the limestone pits.
Yep I'm in Montana though on the other side of the state from Helena. Was going to make Alaska this year for exploring, but the world fell apart and got a hang over from the beer virus. Lack of sunlight would be reason for me to not live in Alaska, had enough of that in Washington state with the rain.
insanity rules
Like was said often where I worked "You don't have to be crazy to work here, but it sure helps the day go by faster!"
Finally getting a handle on all the maintenance and repairs on everything with this downtime. Used a easy out for the first time, impressed with how well they worked. Some dumba$$ tightened transfer case fill plug stupid tight and I stripped it trying to get it out, impact wouldn't budge it and eventually the threads just gave out. Even with the easy out, I couldn't budge it with a 24" breaker bar and my impact struggled a bit that's good for well over 200 ft/lbs. Amazingly transfer case is fine. I have no idea peoples mindset, it's a plug, it just needs a bit over finger tight and it's never going to go anywhere, why the hell would you run it on with a impact? The drain plug was the one put on reasonable. Thankfully done all the maintenance on new truck now and that was the only issue.
Some people don't understand the reason for torque specs.....I didn't, until I came damn close to ruining the case on my atv by overtorqueing the oil drain plug. Lesson learned and remembered! Ed
Couldn't have said it better myself. All the final drive plugs were stripped on my 580. Had to replace at $20+ each. Oil pan plug needed a 24" breaker and pipe to remove.
Try taking the final drive covers off the Spicer axles in telehandlers. The 10 wheel nuts hold it all together but there are 2 tapered head countersunk bolts that hold the covers on when the wheels are off. They lock so hard in the taper most times you're stuck drilling the heads off. After that just spin the bolt shank out of the housing by hand.
What in the hell is going on in Seattle? They may have a handle on the corona virus but it seems like there is an entirely new, more destructive, more contagious virus taking hold. And I thought California was bad.
Had a similar problem with countersunk Allen headed bolts on a final drive of a loader. What I found to work was applying lots of heat to the head right in the center and then let cool and they came right out. Think the heat let the taper relax just enough to let them screw out easy.
Worst part about these ones is the hex is very shallow. About half of a regular allen head. Much easier to strip.
Those aren't Seattlites, those are Californians. There isn't anymore Seattlites left, they left a generation ago and the new ones born are from Californian parents that moved in 20 something years ago. They may claim to been born in Seattle back in early 2000 or late 90's but their California ways are inbred in the DNA from their parents.
I have tightened the check plug on an eaton transmission with an adapter on a 3/8 ratchet, and had to use a 3/4 ratchet a month later.
Just remembered I have the same problem with the 1/4 inch flat head Allen bolts on the small covers where I adjust clutch and primary chain. Put them in only slightly more that finger tight and more than once have has to dill the head off to get them out. Once head pops off you can remove the threaded piece with fingers. And those screws go into holes open to the oil inside the chain case!
Ahh, I thought someone would be doing some perineum sunning. It is all the rage apparently
Try that here and the bugs will be happy happy.
Ever try a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF as a penetrating oil? Might do the trick there.
I have to stop looking at online classified ads and auctions! I found this beat up beauty and want it for some reason. It just looks cool! She is still for sale if anyone has extra time and wants a new project. I have way too many projects at the moment. It would be cool to see her back on the road again. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/209032670138550/
Very cool, but given it's location everything is rusted up tight or already rusted away to nothing.
Work has been crazy. Not a lot of government work, but people are spending their vacation money on home renos. prepared a $52000 driveway for asphalt last week. Hard to keep up. Covid is pretty much non existent now. Wife put me on a diet. Started losing weight, so I started getting up at 4AM to walk the dog before work. started feeling good, lost 20 pounds, my mind was getting clearer, so I went out and bought new sneakers, and decided to take up jogging again. 4 days in, my knees were toast, couldn't even walk.Doc said if you were 20 and over weight, I'd say go for it. But you need to lose about 60 pounds first... stick with the walking...first time I've been told to exercise less.
Hell even at 20 it's hard! I was early 20's when I got fed up and wanted to drop some weight, I remember going on a hard run, I bet it took me 30 minutes before I finally caught my breath, I pushed myself insanely hard but I dropped from about 290 to 230 in like 6 months, sadly crap happened and put it back on faster then it came off. I'm back at it at 30 and a little wiser. I bought a treadmill and only doing fast walks still, I find I keep at it better if I just do say 4 mph for an hour that way i'm not sore the next day. It's amazing how much easier it is on your joints on a treadmill too. Only a few weeks in, but I think this will finally be the time I stick to it. But I agree, I felt incredible at 230 and everyone noticed you feel so much better as you drop weight. Pop/slurpees are my kryptonite though.... Work is really slow so at least have more time to cook at home and eat healthy which is a plus. But this working 1 day a week cannot last the whole summer.
I think anybody doing landscaping or dirt work in Edmonton and area is hooped for a while with the non stop rain.
We got hit hard last night. Holy geeze there was a lightning flash about every 5 seconds steady!
I was 25 when I started running. 750 meters around the block had me hacking up a lung for 3 days. I just can't do the treadmill. No wind to cool me down and the lack of scenery bores me lol.
Don't want the non-stop rain but here in Central NY we could use some rain. Lawns are turning brown and the only thing that is growing is the weeds and even they don't look good. We, I think, are close to setting a record of the number of 90ºF+ days in a row and already are about four days past the average number of 90ºF days for a year and still have a month and a half or more days of the hot months to go! And while we are dealing with the heat and lack of rain locally a short drive north to Lake Ontario and they are dealing with lake level 15.7 inches above average. One city on the lake has some people upset as they are telling people to restrict use of water for non-essential things like swimming pools or lawn watering. This while people look out and see a lake level that is causing problems for marinas and low lying areas near the lake! Problem is not a lack of water for municipal systems, they get it from the lake, but due to pumping and infrastructure problems of handling the large amount or water being used. A mile away neighbor has a flooded basement and they are telling you to no waste water to water your lawn!
They set a record for rainfall in the county my land is in. I feel helpless because I can't do anything to dry things up until the rain lets up for a week or longer.
Had to go to Bangor this afternoon on a parts run. Fiancé went with me and we grabbed some dinner while there. Walked right in and got a meal no problem. Next stop was Home Depot looking for an umbrella to hang off my crane for shade. Sign and attendant at the door saying that governor hitler now requires everyone to wear a mask in the building. Walked right in without a mask but didn’t find what I wanted. Next stop was Walmart where we weren’t allowed into the building without a mask. No big loss. Next, Lowe’s. Same sign outside but nobody enforced it. Found what I needed and left. Stopped at a convenience store on the way home. No sign and nobody wearing a mask. What gives? I refuse the wear a useless mask and I’m not being told what to do by our governor. I’m in contact with plenty of people everyday and 99% of them don’t social distance or wear a mask. This isn’t New York City and I don’t appreciate being treated like it. Whew! Rant over.
That my friends is why God made breathing automatic.
I don't like too much government control. I also don't like Covid 19, and what it has done to my world. Wearing a mask won't stop it, but it might slow it. I HATE wearing a mask! I wear one when I can't be far away from others. If somebody dies, I want to know I didn't cause it. I've been exposed twice. Once in a household where four adults ultimately got it. Even though I don't like ANY politician, don't approve of government imposing rules, detest my governor for his betrayal of gun owners, I agree with caution being the best strategy. With mask wearing, hand washing and distance, lies our best chance of beating this unseen enemy.
I'm shocked it's not that bad in some spots. Checked out job suppose to do today, and it's dry enough to do tomorrow yet there is water still sitting on the streets. For all the rain, in many places it's still disappearing quick.
I just watch TV, more entertaining then what's outside, and my treadmill has a fan! The biggest thing is it's so easy just to get on it anytime, no concerns about rain, snow or whatever.
Been raining on & off all day, we needed some but it's overdooing it now. I can see water standing in the field. Ed
The next farm over is land leveling and plowed first. Had a hard time getting the plow in the ground and it was so dusty you could not tell what he was doing. We need lots of rain badly.
I can never seem to last more than half a mile on a treadmill before I get bored.
I would lap all of you on here when walking or running, 4 mph running that's a walk to me. Mailbox to check my mail 5 mile round trip, Sperry Glacier in Glacier National Park 20 miles round trip. Fastest 2 mile on my PT test in the service 9 minutes, longest straight run non stop 20 miles. My age I'm 39 now, catch me if you can I'm 6' which attributes a lot to my speed, my wife that's only 5' 2" takes two steps to my one, but she keeps up with a work out.
I could probably give ya a run for your money. I ran a Half-Marathon last fall in 96 minutes. I'm better with distance than I am with sprinting.
No running for me till I lose some more weight. I do find the early morning walks help clear my head. Good friend of mine has been running for years. It really shows, she has a wicked body. She has been after me to wear compression pants to help with the knees. She and the wife went shopping and got me a pair. I was having trouble getting back into the walking. My knees started to bother me after 2 laps. I gave into the pants. I have to wear a pair of shorts over them, and I won't wear them unless it's a 4am walk, but 4 laps, and no knee pain.
That compression stuff is that good? I've never tried any of that. For what its worth, 99% of us out there don't care about what someone is wearing when they're out doing physical activity. Who knows, you may even inspire a few people to get outside and make a healthy lifestyle change. Running is a very humble sport from what I've seen. I used to trail run with a group and nobody was ever left behind. Faster runners would stop and have a BS session for a few minutes while waiting for everyone to catch up. We'd have everyone from gym rats, ultramarathoners and triathletes to folks in their 60's that are trying to lose a few pounds. We definitely had a lot of fun.
My block is 900 meters. I started with a brisk walk for 800, then ran 100, then walk 800, then run 100, and so on. I tend to walk over on my ankles, so I bought a pair of Asics with the extra support in the arch. After 4 mornings, the lower inside of my knees were killing me. I tried to walk through it a couple mornings but it felt like they were full of marbles. My brother in law lives in Oshawa, and did sports med. Over the phone he figured bursitis. he recommended RICE. and gave me some exercises. After a week I went to the doc, and got the lecture, but he did praise my efforts. I wore a knee brace at work. Hot.Wife said try the pants. Medium? The guy at the store said they had to be tight. Tried them out. No marbles, no pain, and they wick sweat away like crazy. I find them hot under shorts, but at 4 am, I don't bother with the shorts. As to weather compression stuff is good or not. once you get past the fact that they look like the wife's yoga pants with a pouch up front for your junk, they are comfy, moisture wicking, supportive. They claim to reduce lactic acid in your muscles. They are helping my knees, so that's good enough for me.
I still walk at close to 4mph and I'm only a couple of years short of 70 .......