Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sort of a barn find, 1931 in original condition

old-iron-habit · 2018-11-04 18:49

When out of town at the end of last month I stumbled across this on Facebook. I have been looking for an unrestored original runner for more than 20 years. The add said 99% original and then under the heading in BOLD it said automatic. I expected to hear it had a small block with an auto tranny. I called anyway and to my surprise it was all original except for the tires and wheels on it. It was still available last Tuesday when we got back so I went to look at it and ended up purchasing it. I have 4 original wheels now so only need two more for the spares. Today in the snow, and with the wife watching football, I went and retrieved it and stuck it in the shed. I will use the still on the books Minnesota law to explain it. In Minnesota if you have it for more than 48 hours without hiding it and it goes un-noticed you can legally say, "Oh, that old thing, its been here forever". It was in a barn for near 55 years until the person I got it from found it 5 years ago. It runs nice and readily started today in 33 degree weather.

Replies12
  1. #1old-iron-habit2018-11-04 18:51

    A few more.

  2. #2kshansen2018-11-04 18:53

    Okay are you going to tell us how much you stole it for?

  3. #3old-iron-habit2018-11-04 18:59

    They did not give it away. I paid what my research showed to be a fair $5700.00. Originals Model A pickups are tough to find. I had wanted a pickup and went to two auctions at great distance in the last 10 years chasing a couple. One was junk but complete and original. It sold for 8K with a decent body. The other ran, had a 1940 after market box, accordioned front fenders from running into something, and went for over $11,000. Water pump and oil leaks galore but it did run OK.

  4. #4crane operator2018-11-04 19:03

    That looks like a keeper, glad you found it after a long search. Price on things like that are all over the map- but I don't think the $5,700 is out of line at all for running and driving.

  5. #5RZucker2018-11-04 19:08

    Not a bad deal in that condition. I'd stick with the radial tires for freeway use.

  6. #6old-iron-habit2018-11-04 19:56

    I do not think it will ever drive on the freeway. Local runs to the coffee shop and maybe hauled to a event here and there.

  7. #7Junkyard2018-11-04 20:47

    That’s awesome. Not many around. Fair price too!

  8. #8RZucker2018-11-04 21:10

    In the 60's my grandparents still had the Model A coupe they had when they were married in the 40's, we used to go for rides in the country all the time back then. I remember the rumble seat well. My brother has the car now, it runs but needs some serious restoration work.

  9. #9Graham12018-11-05 03:27

    Looks a great find. I’m sure you will have lots of fun with it. Sounds a good price for what it is, i can’t imagine you could lose money on it if you ever had to sell it. Graham

  10. #10Tugger22018-11-05 09:31

    Nice find.It looks like a barn full of interesting goodies.

  11. #11old-iron-habit2018-11-05 14:39

    Help! I have a addiction. Moving things around, getting the junk out, and loading for winter. I need two more 54 X 80s to match.

  12. #12terex herder2018-11-12 20:41

    I had a '29 Tudor, same color, that my Mom drove to high school. Mine didn't have the high class spare in the fender.