Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

50’s vintage IHC TD-6

245dlc ยท 2018-11-18 00:35

Hi guys I'm likely buying a TD-6 in the next while with a home made dozer blade or it appears to be. I'm told its running but it's been a few moons since the last time it was. I'm buying it mostly as a restoration project, something I've been wanting to do for a while. I was wondering though when it comes to undercarriage components like a sprocket, rails, or track pads is there much for replacements on the market?

Replies10
  1. #1motoOzarks2018-11-18 00:46

    good looking canidate I like it

  2. #2TomA2018-11-18 09:49

    Late '50's early '60's 6 cylinder TD6. I have heard undercarriage parts hard to find.

  3. #3John C.2018-11-18 13:09

    Probably a better place to post your question is over on the RedPower web site. No guys know old IH like those guys.

  4. #4245dlc2018-11-18 13:35

    Yeah he's got several machines there in various stages of disassembly and or decay. He's a super nice guy and still in the road building and earth moving business running a fleet of 'cat's and scrapers' at the age of 72. He has some sold some of his machines and at one point had up to 30 TD-20 dozers! I let him know I'm interested in some of his smaller dozers as he doesn't use them on his projects and I'd like to restore a couple of them. I was initially quite interested in a particular machine I think its a TD-9 as it has a hydraulic blade made by a Canadian manufacturer I had never heard of before but Glen had mentioned something about a cracked head and getting a new one or repairing it being very difficult. He also has some Drott type track loaders and one 'hybrid' that must of been built by a farmer. I'll leave you guys with some pictures of his equipment I'm going to go see him tomorrow and will get some more photos and I might help him with his firewood cutting operation this winter if my regular work runs out.

  5. #5Tones2018-11-18 13:56

    Back in the day, tools were supplied with the machine. In that tool kit for IH tractor was a template that had every pattern for every track component. Find one of those and you'll be grinning. The tracks on the yellow tractor look to be in pretty good nick from the little I could see.

  6. #6245dlc2018-11-18 14:03
  7. #7245dlc2018-11-18 14:12

    Yeah I'll try to have a look I was initially overwhelmed by all the iron he had parked in the weeds when I should have had a better look at the state of the undercarriage's, engine oil, engine coolant etc.

  8. #8245dlc2018-12-27 20:25

    Yeah no tools supplied on any of the tractors.

  9. #9Hank R2018-12-28 22:45

    Thanks for posting pictures brings back memories from when I was a Kid. My uncle at Devon Alberta had a TD 6 but with a different blade. a Bucyrus-Erie I am thinking ????

  10. #10245dlc2019-01-02 22:10

    Could very well have been, one of Glen's TD-9's has a blade that looks like a B.E. blade but is made in New Brunswick apparently.