Is anybody here using sound cancelling ear protection? I know that you can get sound cancelling headphones for an ipod or mp3 player, but they're pricey and seem to be designed for airplanes more than dusty work environments. I've been using off the shelf ear protection, but it doesn't cut out the engine drone. On some machines it seems to only change the pitch, not the dB level. I'm willing to spend a little money if it will curb tinnitus. Being able to listen to music while I'm working without blasting out my ear drums would be a nice option. What ear protection are you using? Has anybody found a construction quality set of noise cancelling ear protection/ headphones that works for them?
I use the 3M Tekk Worktunes ($40-60) and they sure beat the cheaper ear muffs I've tried. I don't know if they are active noise reduction or not? My hearing damage probably comes from the times I forget to wear anything, rather than the noise that gets through, so a comfortable and handy pair of earmuffs is important to me. I've tried ear plugs, and they work great, just too much hassle and discomfort. I'd sure like to know if there is something better out there that's durable and not too $$$.
I have an operator who is nearly deaf....We bought him a David Clark noise canceling head set. They are expensive but worth the money as now when I call him on the radio he will actually hear me and answer. They are designed for aircraft but I had my radio shop convert it to plug into a portable radio.
I bought Sonys' a year ago, they were not worth it. How ever i just bought a pair of Ryobis that take a 4 volt and wow! They have microphones on the front to amplify conversation that actually work. They do not have built in am/fm like the 3m. 50$ if they last a year great. Im going deaf so... It takes a minute to get used to feeling the machine without being able to hear it but sooner or later I wouldnt be able to hear it anyway:beatsme
I did the same, only not the noise cancelling type. http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/638 I had a button on my blade control lever, that I used for my PTT switch... works great. :cool2 Noise canceling.... http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/2065 Home page for David Clark Headsets.... http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/David-Clark/headsets.asp Picture of them hanging in dozer... OCR PS: A video of the Helmet Kit in use... lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1eSaRCSD4k
I got mine from the gun range.. made by Peltor.. they work very well..
The David Clark headset is not in the budget and more than what I need. I think I'm going to buy these: http://noisebuster.net/over-the-head-features.html They have at least one positive (9/10) review online and it costs less than a hearing aid later on.