Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sources for aftermarket air cleaner assemblies? Universal or otherwise

fastline ยท 2015-03-24 18:09

Have an old D7E dozer that needs an air cleaner. I have tried and tried to find one. Not happening. I very highly doubt any aftermarket has a "direct" replacement, I just need to do my homework and mate something to it. the OEM part is something like 2 grand. not paying it. It used a bunch of venturi or helical flow tubes to separate dirt, then back through a media filter IIRC. Been a while. the main issue is the can sits vertical, inlet is on the top, and outlet is on the side. this is opposite of how any truck filter might be which will inlet on the side and outlet centered from the filter. Clean air usually comes from the center of the filter. I realize a dozer might need more fitration consideration due to environment. Just a media setup would probably clog in a couple days.

Replies7
  1. #1Delmer2015-03-24 18:54

    Donaldson is the name you need to search. Their catalog is online and easy to search. If you have the original, or it's remains, it probably has their number on it already. Filterspro.com is a place I order filters, good prices and selection, but you'll wait sometimes. They might or might not sell filter assemblies, just find the donaldson number and check.

  2. #2fastline2015-03-24 18:59

    I both researched the books with Donaldson and talked with their reps to find a solutions. They don't have one or unwilling to help! I found most of their stuff to be WAY over priced for what it is. This is nothing more than a sheet metal can... So you are saying CAT and others just go to Donaldson for their air intake needs? The dozer is from the 60s with a filter system I have only seen once and this is it. It looked to work well but I can sure see problems in restricting flow! Hell, I might find 10HP just opening that sucker up!

  3. #3DB22015-03-24 20:14

    Try Cambrian Equipment in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada. 204 667 2867 May have what you need

  4. #4Delmer2015-03-24 21:24

    Basically, yes. I can't speak for Cat, but a lot of filter housings and pre cleaners on equipment are right out of the donaldson catalog. That vertical design may have evolved from an oil bath?

  5. #5lantraxco2015-03-25 00:44

    The old CAT filters looked similar to the FARR designs..... I think RACOR came out with some air cleaners also....

  6. #6Tinkerer2015-03-25 07:43

    There are 47 D7E dozers on the Machinery Traders dismantled machines listing. Here is a link to one in Texas showing the air cleaner assembly on it. http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=5896347 Three years is a long time to be looking for that air cleaner. But, as time goes on more of them will be available on retired machines.

  7. #7fastline2015-03-25 11:43

    Obviously the machine has not been a priority. The main question is what will I really get when I overspend for a cleaner system from the 60s?? I suspect any dealer will just compare to new. Had one dealer want $500 for a used cleaner system. I might do that if it was new but these have plastic tubes in them that are subject to breakage over time. I tend to be the guy that gets screwed by trusting people's word.