Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sourcing parts for an old Pettibone EL88

etd66ss ยท 2019-06-03 07:20

Hoping some of the parts guru's here can give me a few places that may have new or used parts for a 1971 Pettibone EL88. I actually have an ECL88 (Crane version) that someone converted to forks. The machine still has the HYD hoist motor mounted up, but the control lever for it has been removed, and I don't have the crane head parts. I've been "Googling" for days trying to find parts for the Michingan Transaxle and Funk transmission without any luck... Here is a link to a couple pages of my Pettibone manual pertinent to the parts I'm looking for. ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SOYk9XUnDfjXr416W0XcKZ6Bf3MY5Ft6/view?usp=sharing ) I'd love to fined a "Pettibone Graveyard" somewhere. There has to be a bunch of these machines sitting around somewhere. Hopefully they were not all sent to China for scrap... Pictures of the machine I am working on: https://imgur.com/a/zgEKA

Replies9
  1. #1Vetech632019-06-03 07:35

    www.tiffenparts.com (800-219-6354) may have a few things available but be ready for a long wait. I would call Coffeyville works (620--251-3400) for the Funk parts. Give them the numbers on the transmission tag and they can usually get you a parts breakdown. The bad thing is these machines are so old that there are very few that are knowledgeable about them. You could run into younger people that have no idea how to look up anything that old and usually wont put in the effort it would take to help you. Good Luck!

  2. #2etd66ss2019-06-03 08:22

    Thanks for the Coffeyville Works contact, I did not pick up on them in my research. So, I did find this on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Deere-4TRCA7236-Oil-Cooler-/323269906947 That's the heat exchanger I need. It seems to be listed as a John Deere part, and Coffeyville works is a John Deere parts supplier? Were Funk transmissions primarily used on John Deere construction equipment way back when?

  3. #3Welder Dave2019-06-03 09:53

    Funk made the instant reverse transmissions used in Massey Ferguson industrial tractors, forklifts and loaders for many years.

  4. #4Delmer2019-06-03 10:21

    There's plenty of funk transmissions floating around, just a matter of finding them. The kid at Autozone is not going to find you a transmission part off a 71 Pettibone They were used in an assortment of machines. What axle parts are you looking for?

  5. #5etd66ss2019-06-03 12:54

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ox1hIZ-Qu-euwCqoLKB-wLktzsHjICYZ/view?usp=sharing Looking for: LL-2663-279 - Housing LL-2663-283 - Tie Rod LL-2663-247 - Cover, Planet Shaft I got ahold of someone from Turner Unidrive (Bought out Michigan Transaxle in the 1980's) He told me the housing and tie rod were not parts they supplied, but parts that Pettibone manufactured, which I found surprising as the housing looks like a pretty complex forging. The cover plate he gave me a part number of P-151-12, but said they stopped manufacturing in 1995. My tie rod is bent, not sure I'd ever get it straight. The housing, where the steering cylinder pin mounts is all ovalled out. I made new pins but would need to either weld up and line bore the ears or find a used part in good shape.

  6. #6Delmer2019-06-03 15:34

    I would fix those. Drill the hole in the steering arm out and put a bigger pin in there. If you can't straighten the tie rod, find somebody who can, or make a new one. What's wrong with the planetary cover? missing?

  7. #7etd66ss2019-06-03 17:57

    Someone cobbled up an aluminum one and I wanted to replace that, I think it is easy enough to turn a new one. Yeah, we have a press at work that could straighten the tie rod, but not sure the shop manager will let me use it due to safety concerns. It has not really been used in ~20 years. I don't think my little shop 12 ton press from harbor freight will straighten a 1-5/8" dia rod. I was thinking if I could set it up correctly, I might be able to use the weight of my CAT 225 to straighten it back out, though would probably be pretty hard to control the bend. We don't have 1-5/8-16 cutting die at work and they cost around $450 so I won't be buying a die to make this part. I priced 1018 CR rod to make new one and it'd be about $180 for the material with shipping. I think the housing would have to be taken off the machine to fix, I can borrow a MAG drill from work but I don't think I could ever get a good setup. https://imgur.com/W0B4gcQ

  8. #8mg23612019-06-03 18:46

    Funk is now owned by Deere.

  9. #9etd66ss2019-06-03 19:12

    Good to know thanks. One of the biggest challenges to finding parts for old equipment is finding out who owns who these days...