Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

SOUTHSTAR Processing head.

Drifter ยท 2012-09-18 23:16

A new company started up in the okanagan www.southstarequipment.com . I think it will be good compition for warratah what do you guys think?

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies33
  1. #1loggers son2012-09-21 18:57

    the company i work for owns one of these units...... last i heard southstar had gone broke and we couldn't source parts from them anymore.Will see if this is still the case next week

  2. #2DoosanFan2012-09-22 12:51

    Tough market...

  3. #3Drifter2012-09-23 17:32

    Sent you a PM.

  4. #4loggers son2012-10-01 02:15

    yep same company and people....... still broke down here

  5. #5Drifter2012-10-01 07:39

    Hey I pm'd you and offered to help two weeks ago what do you need? I will pm you some phone Southstar is Owned and operated in Canada now.

  6. #6csquared2012-10-01 17:55

    i ran the quadstar 500, serial number 001 on saturday. hard to judge tho as it had sure grips opposed to danfoss controls I'm used to. well built, a lot of thought into it. going to be competition for waratah.

  7. #7loggers son2012-10-02 05:38

    reply pm sent trev

  8. #8cutting edge2012-10-02 08:41

    Are you working for Southstar now?

  9. #9Drifter2014-06-03 01:30
  10. #10Drifter2014-06-03 01:36
  11. #11Sprengstoff2014-06-03 09:31

    They're nice looking heads.

  12. #12Hallback2014-06-03 17:41

    I think they have better features than the Waratah. They are now designed and built by Waratahs founder I hear. 4 feed wheels that you can independently power and at head diagnostics are icing on the cake.

  13. #13cutting edge2014-06-09 01:03

    somebody hasn't seen the 622c4x4 yet....

  14. #14Hallback2014-06-09 22:03

    Nope, I am all for innovation though!!

  15. #15MutsMachines2014-06-15 01:02

    seems like they are a very good prossesing head. in my opinion from the videos they waste a lot of wood but that could just be the operator. also just my opinion those operators are slow and I believe those could do a lot more wood in that amount of time. would like to try one some day.

  16. #16prolog nz2014-09-01 04:25

    Anyone else had a chance to run these heads recently? I am looking pretty seriously at purchasing one so any thoughts would be good, I hear there have been a lot sold into PNW and Canada in the past 18 months.

  17. #17cutting edge2014-09-01 10:12

    They're good,but just like the competition,they have their glitches .In talking to guys,theyre no better or worse than Waratah. I cant understand why you wouldnt go with Waratah,seeing as youre in New Zealand,parts and service for the SS might be a little tough.... the 622 4x4 looks to be a winner,but youre probably loooking for a bigger head....the new 625c looks good as well

  18. #18csquared2014-09-01 23:42

    QS500 on Volvo 220D last week on a demo vs 622C waratah. 622C has been parked since the operator tried the south star. Pm'ed you Prolog

  19. #19Playboypaul4202015-09-02 17:55

    Do not buy a south star head. There pieces of crap. Buy a waratah and eliminate all the headaches of owning a Southstar

  20. #20mikebramel2015-09-02 23:07

    First post and outright derogatory... not suspicious at all

  21. #21Plebeian2015-09-03 22:07

    Did they ever try flexible feed rollers on the 622c above that was left in favour of the South Star? http://www.mense.fi/en/products/feed-rollers1/feed-rollers There a few vids of the 622c 4x4 https://youtu.be/In0Uxo8ZmRo (622C 4x4) https://youtu.be/bkNN4rXfqIY (622C 4x4) https://youtu.be/nFvLbtmhrCU (Tigercat with SS QS500 in BC, TigerCat hydraulics help) https://youtu.be/j-R0P2Qy_rU (Southstar heads are run in NZ qs630 - working on garbage timber with a small PC300)

  22. #22csquared2015-09-03 22:47

    Coming from a self proclaimed ladies man/stoner, we should all clearly listen to his opinion with great respect!!! If you are indeed from Saskatchewan, there is 8 heads out there working. 3 of those head are customers seconds, and none of the owners are names Paul, so I'm doubting you have had any headaches of owning one. If you are really having issues we would like to hear from you, PM me or call our office. Plebeian, We haven't tried a set of Mense wheels yet, we have a spring cross link for the drive arms that is somewhat the same concept that aids traction in big limby rough wood.

  23. #23Playboypaul4202015-09-04 01:33

    Lol I don't own them. I run one I'm running the newer one but it doesn't have near the power that the waratah has. The older machine has nothing but problems tho Wiring issues every second day.

  24. #24Playboypaul4202015-09-04 01:45

    Csquared I can sure tell you don't like hearing any bad being said about these heads. Saying **** about my user name. It's just a ****ing nick name I've had since I was young. I've been running processors for 14 years now. I've ran target/hornet, log max, denarko, south star and waratah. And my opinion is that nothing beats a waratah. You can go months without having one single problem with a waratah. Your lucky to get a week with no problems with a south star

  25. #25Plebeian2015-09-04 03:45

    The Woodspro heads use a good spec chain bar on them https://youtu.be/F0_sVA_lf-4 ( Woodsman pro 850 - night) https://youtu.be/e59r1VYuQzc (Woodsman pro 700 on tigercat H855C)

  26. #26Drifter2015-09-04 11:37

    What carrier are you running the SouthStar and waratah on?

  27. #27TimberjackTim2015-09-04 22:01

    I'm afraid to say that your statement has no validity and your credibility is questionable. People on this forum are not as gullible as you assume.

  28. #28Lostinthefog2015-09-05 02:14

    Timberjack tim everyone is entitled to their own opinion and playboy paul probably has ten times the experience you do so to say he has no credibility coming from u is a horse ass statement u dont even know him he could probably process circles around u

  29. #29Steve Frazier2015-09-05 02:29

    playboypaul420 and Lostinthefog, that type of posting is unacceptable here. You can both take a week off and look the forums over to see how we operate. If you can't play nice the next action will be permanent.

  30. #30TimberjackTim2015-09-05 07:42

    Indeed, everyone has a right to an opinion, but if that opinion is offensive toward others others, and that includes companies of course, then I believe we should learn to carefully speak our minds or keep it to ourselves. Differences of opinion and robust discussion is at the heart of a democracy but we have to be respectful about it. Secondly, the issue is not about how much experience someone has. In fact, I have no processing experience at all, but that is beside the point. If there is something we don't like about a piece of equipment or how we have been treated, then we need to be professional about it to explain exactly what it is that is a concern. But making blanket statements that bad-mouth something is unprofessional, and that is obvious to the members and downgrades the forum.

  31. #31Hallback2015-09-08 21:18

    I have been running processors since 1994 and the South star is the best on the market today. I would like to try their felling head on a new 568 I'm getting.

  32. #32Plebeian2015-09-09 00:30

    How common is a Cat 568 with a felling head? http://www.southstarequipment.com/products/fd750fellinghead/ (Do you still have big trees?)

  33. #33Hallback2015-09-10 21:25

    Not very common but I think the reach, stability & power would be great for one. We do still have big wood here.