Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Special Battery For A Backhoe

eRay ยท 2009-01-10 11:09

I only use my backhoe about once a month and it is getting slow to crank during this cold weather. It is almost 4 years old so I thought I would replace the two original starting batteries. This is my first piece of heavy equipment and I have a question. The batteries look identical to the small battery in my car. Does it take a special battery for heavy equipment or will a pair of ordinary car batteries serve me just as well? I figure I could buy a pair of batteries at Auto Zone for about a third of what the equipment dealer will charge.

Replies23
  1. #1emilbanks2009-01-10 12:09

    4 years old is not old for todays batteries, most likey they are standard 12V batteries They should have a label on them saying the type and the amps. But before i went out and put on new batteries I would put a trikle charger on them if you do not start your equipment that often, can you get your hands on a batter tester and check your amps got to keep your batterys charged full especially in cold wether Emil

  2. #2bill onthehill2009-01-10 13:27

    you need the biggest battery you can fit in the box with the highest cold cranking amp you can find. I run a pair from sams club cause they were open on the weekend when I needed them. All my other equipment has NAPA legend batteries which I have had good luck with. If the machine sits outside and is not used often you will get a lot less time out of them. Bill

  3. #3eRay2009-01-10 13:46

    They are definately not staying fully charged. Yesterday it turned over very slowly and would not start. After about 30 minutes on a battery charger it cranked quicker and fired right up. This backhoe is left at a place I own on the lake about an hour away from me and I don't get up there but about once a month in the winter.I like to start it about once a month in the winter though to keep oil in the turbocharger.I also have a 2005 John Deere 5103 tractor up there for mowing. It has never had any battery trouble and is started less often than the backhoe. 37 hours on it since summer of 2005. Also TVA lowers the lake levels in winter so I can use it then to touch up the rip rap on the shoreline.

  4. #4Mackcat2009-01-18 09:32

    from your picture it looks like you have a New Holland Backhoe. I just changed my batteries in mine and not just any battery will fit. bought mine from NH Dealer for about $90.00 each. you could probably find a battery that would go in the box but would not be able to use the tie down bars to secure them, this is how they get you to come back to the dealer

  5. #5Deere John2009-01-18 10:14

    For what it's worth, I had two batteries as well in my backhoe - a John Deere, but that isn't important. They were 750 CCA Exides, and lasted 5 years. Their downfall was that one became weak, and drew down the other one. I ended up replacing the two with a Group 31 1100 CCA single battery, to eliminate the fighting. I went down 400 CCA between the two batteries, but that has not been a problem yet over the two years I did the switch. I did modify the battery box a wee bit to hold the single, since the group 31 was about 25% longer than the other batteries. A side benefit was that the Group 31 was just $5.00 more than just one of the other ones - I think they were group 78, but I'm not sure. So, I realized a $100 cost reduction in buying only one battery. The other original battery that was still good is now starting my diesel generator.

  6. #6eRay2009-01-18 17:44

    This is a 2005 model LB75.B. If New Holland batteries are only about $90.00 each I will stick with the factory batteries. I assumed that they would be rediculously priced from the fact that a simple oil filter is $18.95and a hydralic filter is $89.95. It has two small batteries and the terminals are recessed into small square notches in the corner of the battery. They look exactly like tthe battery in my wifes Ford Contour but may be different. Guess I better check with a New Holland dealer and see how much 2 factory batteries would run.

  7. #7Mackcat2009-01-18 23:36

    Mine is a 2004 LB75.B If you buy new batteries from New Holland they will be a little different from the factory batteries. mine had 2 square blocks on each side of the battery,and the new batteries don`t have a place for the square blocks, it`s not a problem just thought i would mention it because I thought they gave me the wrong batteries because the didn`t look the same

  8. #8jughead2009-01-19 08:33

    i personally dont like a battery that is over 3 years old. if i need to depend on one 4 years is too old. i have used group 31 batteries for the last 6 years in temps down to 17 degrees with no problems in my hoe. only use one and it starts without help. in colder climates i would think one needs as big and as many as will fit the box.

  9. #9randy4482009-01-19 09:21

    How about one of those solar power trickle chargers? anyone used them for a sit around machine?

  10. #10guss342009-01-20 20:24

    i have a b95lr bought new in augest,the origanal bateries is only 650 cca.i replaced them the first day i brought it home with napa dry cell or agm,what ever you want to call them.they are 1000cca.last week here it was -9 and it started with no problem at all.i work mine almost everyday so it needs to start.when i bought my 675e new in jan 2002 it turned cold and it wouldnt start with factory batteries,replaced them with the drycells and been in it ever since.so thats why i went ahead and replaced them on the b95lr.i use them bateryies in my boat or what ever comes along.as far as price goes,them dry cell are about 200 bucks each.but to me worth everybit of it.

  11. #11eRay2009-01-30 19:24

    Went to my New Holland dealer today thinking I could buy two new batteries for $90.00 each. I was totally shocked to find that they wanted $257.00 each plus 9% sales tax for New Holland batteries. Since I can not stand the thought of paying nearly $600.00 for a pair of new batteries, I guess I will take the old ones to Auto Zone and see if I can find something about the same size.Do people actually pay this much for batteries?

  12. #12jughead2009-01-30 20:43

    i dont understand. except in very cold weather one large battery will start most. unless they are 24 volts. one group 31 one starts my 655d down to 17 degrees. that is with cold soak for 3 or 4 days.

  13. #13Willis Bushogin2009-01-30 21:18

    batteries I ran across the same thing, about 6 years ago, with my JD backhoe. I went the cheap route and installed one big battery, instead of two. It lasted about a year, after that, I took my old batteries to my Napa store and got two just like the OEM style. I think they were about $100 ea, JD dealer wanted $200 ea. In my opinion, the Parts store batteries are just as good as the JD batteries, if you compare apples-with apples. They are probrably made by the same people Bottom line suggestion-install 2 batteries, same style as OEM, they installed 2 batteries for a reason Good Luck

  14. #14Mackcat2009-02-04 09:10

    That is unreal, I just bought New Holland Batteries for mine for 90.00 each they are trying to rip you off!! Do you Have a charge account with them? Alot of times if you don`t they will give you what they call ''Walk off the street Prices'' in other words they screw people that don`t know what things cost. I would complain to management

  15. #15mirrocraft2009-02-05 20:55

    with the crazy weather in ky i have had to replace every battery i have i have a backhoe and 2 tractors plus my truck battery the hot cold weather is hell on them i agree with the other posters the highest cca you can fit in the bo is the best way to go as for brand of battery i used napa wal-mart and many others with the same results

  16. #16Russelln2009-02-06 11:10

    An important factor to remember is that just about all batteries come out of the same factory, they are just re-badged and your paying for the name.

  17. #17jughead2009-02-06 12:57

    batteries A-men brother:drinkup

  18. #18fhdesign2009-02-06 17:02

    Try looking for a dedicated battery shop in your area, I just replaced the batteries in my lb115, they cost 125.00 each and they are identical to the New Hollands I took out.

  19. #19eRay2009-02-06 18:31

    I took the old batteries to Auto Zone and picked up two new 47r-dl Duralast batteries for $89.95 each. They look just like the originals except that they are about 1/2 inch shorter. They fit right in and it starts like new. I can not believe New Holland gets $257.00 each for them.

  20. #20joeeye592012-08-18 14:31

    While I've been reading everyone's comments....., I noticed nobody said anything about having used a heater of some sort, such as a block heater like I need to use. Because my JD 310c Loader/Hoe would laugh at me even if its 40-50 degree's outside and I didn't plug it in for at least 20-25 minutes...

  21. #21Deon2012-08-18 17:36

    I'm surprised that your 310C is like that in the cold. I have a block heater and an ether system in my 310D but I have never used either in 2 winters I have owned it here in Canada.

  22. #22oceanobob2012-08-18 20:48

    Is the real reason for the high price OEM battery because they wont leak acid on you when the tractor lays or rolls over and you are trapped there?

  23. #23Deon2012-08-18 23:22

    I read this but I'm not going to answer.:drinkup