Looking for help trying to find front crank seal insallation tool on a Izuzu 6wg1 engine. This engine is in one of our Hitachi Zaxis 450 lc's. The only one I have found is at Warrior Tracter in Alabama and Deere has a policy no tool lending period. My loacal dealer is telling me it could be three weeks for the tool arrives. Frustrateng that Deere dosn't have it together better than this, sell the product with minimal support. This unit is taking up valable shop space we realy can't wait for three weeks.
Just a thought here ...I made alot of tools...take the seal to your local machine guy and have one whittled out ...probably cheaper too..
Good advise Koldsteele, I was trying to avoid that option but now methinks it may be my only option. Looks like I can modify a Cat 3306 seal installation tool.
Its not Deere that has a policy against loaning you the tool..... that policy has been set by your dealer. I spent years working in Deere shops and the choice to loan special tools was ours directly.
New policy so I have been told by several Deere dealers now that loaning of tools is stricly prohibited or they loose dealer priceing on special tools.
thats interesting.......
They sell their product with all the support you need, just call them and they will send out a mechanic. I don't loan out tools either, especially not to a customer who not only uses the tool I paid for but also takes away an opportunity for me to make a living. As far as the 3 weeks goes, that's been Deeres time frame for as long as I can remember when ordering their special tools. OTC makes most of them so I think they have to get the tool from them first. Have you checked with any Isuzu dealers for the tool? I think I would check with them before Deere.
Some dealers will loan tools like that seal instaler if you are "BIG CUSTOMER" that got more than 2 pieces of equipment. I seen this happen when i worked at cat dealer .I loan tools to my customers if they need it i look at it this way what you gain in the long term is better than what you gain in the short term.
My only problem with loaning tools is that some people can wreck an anvil, and I don't say that to be mean, it's just that it does happen and you spent the money for it, they wrecked it, and now there is that uncomfortable situation where you are out the bucks. I guess I'm looking at it more from the mechanic's point of view on this one case. Maybe if the customer is a really good customer, but......................
So you bought an orange machine and are pissed that the guys who sell and service the yellow machines dont lend out money making equipment to joe shmoes? Mabe you should have rigged yourself out with a full kit for that machine when you bought it....
Tried that My local dealer dosn't have the tool either. Yes I have tried Isuzu dealers to no avail.
Just looking for a tool to buy or rent not looking for handouts. The guy who sells the yellow machibnes is actually selling an orange machine painted yellow. Just looking for dealer support on special tooling. We are pretty resourcefull here so will probably make oure own tool.
After reading this again there is something I over looked........ You have a Hitachi and while the Deere is mostly a yellow Hitachi Deere to my knowledge never used a anything but Deere engine. If your seeking a Izuzu seal driver from the Deere dealer you are barking up the wrong tree.
In my search for tooling, Isuzu will only sell to authorized dealers which my local Hitachi (Deere) dealer is an authorized dealer. According to the Hitachi dealer the Isuzu engines have been so reliable there has been no need to purchase said tool. No matter I currently have a tool made by another Contractor faced with same dilema, who was decent enough to let me borrow his tool which we will use as a pattern to make our own. I would do the same for him or anyone else I trusted, even in a competive world we can work together.
I never said I was pissed just putoff that the Hitachi(Deere) dealer dosn't have special tooling. Joe Shmoes? The Contractors I work for have been in buisness for 26 years we curently have 24 excavators in the fleet. Should we have this tool probably, but we won't pay north of $500 and wait three weeks for it. I am using this forum with hopes of assitance from like minded people, not to be put on the "cutting edge" for seeking help.
FYI..... While Hitachi and Deere are almost the same machine they are two seperate companys. Deere dealers do NOT receive tooling or service info for any engine used in a Hitachi machine. Even the basic machine service manuals are different....... I find Deeres version much easier to use.
You say you're not upset and just looking for assistance, not to be put on the "cutting edge" for seeking help. But in your first post you said, "Frustrating that Deere doesn't have it together better than this, sell the product with minimal support". Don't know about the rest on here, but when I see a comment like this it's hard to reply with a positive comment. Remember, first impressions are just that. But I'm glad you found what you needed and hopefully next time HEF can help you more.
Glad you got sorted dan! never needed this tool but rather make one than wait a month and pay those prices!
I thought the Zaxis 450 and the Deere 450 both use Isuzu power?
Deere 450 uses a 12.5L Deere engine
Not that it matters but my personal policy on loaning tools is: If that person has thousands of dollars worth of tools, and I have one he doesn't, I'll probably loan it to him. If they have a butterknife, a pair of visegrips, and a roll of duct tape, it's not likely. I don't see any point in everybody around here having every special tool, so each one gets used once or twice every 10 years.
I just checked Deere's website, it list the 450D as being powered by an Isuzu. My understanding is the 450D and the Zaxis 450 are same machine other than color, am I wrong? So that being said I would assume the Deere dealer should have info/tools for the Isuzu? It just seems like some of you were kinda being hard on Dan S for going to Deere.
You specifically said that the DEERE dealership has a "no lending tools" policy. Is this difficult to understand? Should I expect ford to just lend me one of their laptops every time my POS 6.4 poops the bed? The service departments of dealerships make their money by supplying trained techs AND the tooling to work on the brand's product line. They are not in the business of selling or loaning tools.After 26 years and 24 hoes,you'd think you would have figured this out by now. That being said.....I can have said tool in my hands within 4 hours,but it will be a full 3 days of travel before i can get to your machine to replace the seal......might wanna get the guys at the local dealership to do the job instead (i'll bet they will even give warranty coverage on the job....will you?)
My bad.... I looked at 450C specs rather than 450D
Thanks for your infinite wisdom Cutting Edge but I got it handled.
Dan I hope in next venture you just make the tool and be done ....Some fellas in here got sorta heated ...
The local Deere dealer here is also the local Hitachi dealer. I probably wouldn't expect them to carry many specialized Isuzu tools because typically a dealer doesn't do enough work on them to justify the cost. This is a common issue now days as new technology is changing most every aspect of machinery. Does this tool install a wear sleeve at the same time as the seal? On the other hand though I would have to ask why a main seal on an Isuzu failed and are you sure that is what is actually leaking? In my experience, those engines generally last at least 12,000 hours and I've seen them in the 20,000 hour ranges. To have enough crankcase pressure to blow a main seal points to a vary old or dusted engine. Perhaps you are on borrowed time now? Good Luck!
Point well taken Best to leave frustrations out of things and stay focused on finding solution.
Thanks cold steele, to the point with good advise. That is what we would normally do but thought I would give this forum a try, for the most part it was a complete waste of my time except for the amusement factor. Seems some on this forum are very easly affended, but I should have known better than to start off with my own frustrations. This forum is agood idea it has the potential to be a valuable tool if used correctly.
Same here local Deere dealer is also Hitachi dealer and they have never installed a front crank seal on a 6wg1t, and you are right they told me they can't justify the exspense for a tool they have not had a need for yet. Yes the seal installer presses a wear sleve on with the seal. The seal wasn't leaking the front timing cover was, this unit only has around 6000hrs and dosn't appear to have excessive crank case pressure. I actually ended up borrowing a seal installer from another local contractor who said they had the same leaks on a Hitachi 600. Thanks.
Getting tools from John Deere is a joke it takes for ever. That they told you 3 weeks is unusually fast. I am usually not able to see one for at least 4 weeks in Alberta. Most dealers have to buy a certain amount of tools for every model which they sell John Deere makes them.
The Deere and the Hitachi Dealers usually get their Isuzu tooling from Isuzu. Cut out the middle man and go direct to your nearest Isuzu dealer.